Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the difference between pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences???

sooperNOODLES!sooperNOODLES! Posts: 268Member

my school offers both pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.. i was wondering what
the difference was? and what can you be with a pharmaceutical science major?

Replies

• uandme4ever21uandme4ever21 Posts: 126Member
    QUOTE(sooperNOODLES! @ Jun 29 2006, 08:25 AM) »

my school offers both pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.. i was wondering what
    the difference was? and what can you be with a pharmaceutical science major?

Pharmacy is the clinical practice of using drug knowledge to help sick people get better. This means your neighborhood pharmacist or the pharmacist in hospital. This path leads to a PharmD.

Pharmacuetical science is a research oriented degree. You deal with the formulation issues, meaning how to turn the active ingredient into a pill, capsule, or suspension form. You also tend to deal with pharmacokinetic issues at times too. You don't deal with people directly, instead you spend your time in a lab. This path leads to a bachelor of science or a PhD.
  • sooperNOODLES!sooperNOODLES! Posts: 268Member

which one do you think is harder? like what i have to study to get there..

• JESS.JESS. CHINO HILLS, CALIFORNIAPosts: 727Member
    edited June 2006
    they're both hard. i think for me, Pharmacuetical science is more difficult because i don't like being in a lab all the time...it's like being one of those mad scientists i've imagined as a child..

pharmacy..
    get your bachelor's degree (4 years) plus you got to fulfill all the prerequisites required by the pharmacy school (for me, that'll take about 5 years) and then pharmacy school itself (4 more years). so basically, you're looking at a total of 9 years in school, 8 years if you're insanely smart.

major in either biotechnology or biochemistry. they're similar but i'm majoring in biotech because my school doesn't offer biochem.

very rigrious ciriculum, but it's worth it.
  • uandme4ever21uandme4ever21 Posts: 126Member
    QUOTE(sooperNOODLES! @ Jun 29 2006, 06:09 PM) »

which one do you think is harder? like what i have to study to get there..

You can do both if you want to. Some pharmacy schools offer a PharmD/PhD dual degree program. Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Are u better at doing research or do you prefer to look at patients/customers.

You can also get a PhD in pharmacology intead of pharmacuetical science.
    mohi