Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

equalizer settings for vocal recording?

dvdqnocdvdqnoc Posts: 61Member
for those who do lots of home studio
hello, i was wondering what kind of equalizer settings are best to make that nice, crisp, fresh vocal sounds that are in mainstream songs. thanks for any help

Comments

• DaRkViEt73DaRkViEt73 Southern CaliforniaPosts: 1,595Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

edited June 2006
    no such thing. What equalizer settings are you refering to in the first place? Inside a specific program on the computer? Or do you have an actual, physical Mixer Console that sits on a table like professionals use? Cuz for crisp, high quality recordings you simply use a real, high-grade microphone. And you keep recording the person's voice over and over... making them alter their voice until you "get it just right". The only real thing you'll be adjusting is the input recording volume of the microphone... because you don't want a voice that's so loud that it clips and you don't want it so low that you can't hear it (unless that's exactly what you're going for).

Once you get a great recording of their voice, THEN you can apply vocal affects to it and stuff... like making it computerized or whatever.
  • dvdqnocdvdqnoc Posts: 61Member
    yea. equalizer on computer program, like adobe audition. i have a pretty decent mic, and it is loud but it sounds kind of muffled. im pretty sure i can adjust it with EQ settings the combinations of low, med, and hi... just dont know the right one for vocals.
  • DaRkViEt73DaRkViEt73 Southern CaliforniaPosts: 1,595Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

edited June 2006
    I'd keep it flat. either at "0" or exactly in the middle... whatever the "flat", unaltering setting is. But if you must insist on using an EQ setting, then you'll just have to adjust... record then listen... then repeat until you get it right. There is no such thing as a "perfect" setting... professionals go by ear which is exactly what you should be doing. I know that's not the answer you're looking for... but that's the real answer to your question. image

And if you plan on doing some sound editing to it, then consider recording it at a higher sampling rate... like 48 or preferably 96khz... apply your effects or EQ adjustments AFTERWARDS... then when you've got it sounding the way you want... downsample it into 44.1khz. This way you retain maximum quality during the editing process.

personally I'd record the vocals flat... and at high sampling rate. Then apply EQ settings onto the uncompressed wave file. The reason why is cuz if you don't like the way it sounds, you can quickly revert back to the original sound file and adjust some more instead of having to re-record everything. The only thing is make sure the mic recording volume is not set so high that the voice starts clipping and not so low that you can't capture all the nuances in the person's (or your?) voice.
  • susansusan Posts: 515Member

ROOKIE

EQing adds frequencies to certain octave ranges on a track. So if you feel like you want more bass, you want to bump up the 63-125 a little. If you're looking for more ice, then 4-8K is more appropriate. If you're not on a studio console, then it might be a little different.