Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kelly Rowland and Wang Leehom to Host MTV Asia Awards 2006

singerchicksingerchick Posts: 1,202Member

ROOKIE

edited April 2006 in entertainment
6 May 2006 in Bangkok
IPB Image

Yes, Leehom does speak English. image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiNXesvW4vc

The MTV Asia Awards 2006 will be hosted by Kelly Rowland and Alexander Wang Leehom. It was also announced that KoЯn will join the roster of artists including Lee Ryan and Simon Webbe who are set to perform at the MTV Asia Awards 2006 in Bangkok on .

Originally Kelly Clarkson had planned to co-host the event with Alexander Wang Leehom, but schedule conflicts interfered. However, in place of Kelly Clarkson is another Kelly of no less merit: Kelly Rowland. Kelly Rowland is one of the members of multi-platinum girl group Destiny's Child. The group debuted in 1998 and includes close friends Beyonce and Michelle. She released her first solo album 《SimplyDeep》internationally in 2003. The album included such billboard toppers as "Stole" and "Dilemma" which featured American rapper Nelly and won her her first Grammy. The album went on to sell over 2 million copies worldwide. Since her first album Kelly has gone on to star in movies and television shows. She is currently working on her second album, which is scheduled to be released in July of this year.

Heralding from a family of doctors, Alexander Wang Leehom was the odd man out. Following his strong love for music, Leehom gave up a pre-med education for a music-oriented education at Williams. There he graduated with honors and produced a 570+ page Broadway play. From then, he attended graduate school at Berklee College of Music. Strangely Leehom spoke only English and French and did not learn Chinese until he was 18. He debuted with his first album when he was 19. However, it was his "Revolution" album in 1998 that broke true grounds. The new R/B sound on the album won him the "Best Producer" and "Best Male Artist" at the GMA (Equivalent to Taiwanese Grammies), he was 23 at the time and is the youngest artist to receive these honors. Proficient in over 10 instruments, Leehom is a unique musician in his own right. Having composed and produced close to 100 songs and written lyrics for almost 50 songs, he is one of the main songwriters/producers for SONYBMG Taiwan.

This is the first major hosting gig for both Kelly Rowland and Alexander Wang Leehom. Leehom has expressed that he is nervous, but he is doing his homework and listening to the music of the 50+ nominees to familiarize himself. Both Kelly and Leehom are looking forward to the challenge.

The MTV Asia Awards 2006 will be available to over 400 million households via 43 channels as well as through syndication worldwide. Updates on the MTV Asia Awards 2006 can be found on the official website at www.mtvasiaawards.com. MTV viewers can visit the MTV Asia websites for more information on Awards related contests and events.

Haier Electrical Appliances, Tourism Authority of Thailand and Thai Airways International Public Company Limited are the Official Partner Sponsors of the MTV Asia Awards 2006

Previous Hosts Include:
2005: Alicia Keys
2004: Vanness Wu and Michelle Branch
2003: Shaggy and Coco Lee
2002: Ronan Keating and Mandy Moore

Credit: www.leehom-cn.com/bbs
Translation: Ices3renity

It originally was supposed to be Kelly Clarkson, it's a shame that she can't co-host anymore, but the other Kelly isn't bad either image I'm not sure if this belongs here or under other tv & movies. Move if neccesary. Thanks image

Nominees can be found here:
http://www.mtvasia.com/News/200603/01013232.html

"But this, like all journeys should be, was also a journey of the self, and I ultimately learned some intangible qualities of the human soul. A musical thread connects us, consistently from civilization to civilization. And that thread runs through you just as it does me. What patterns, and colors it will weave as the course of history plays out is only limited by our imagination and ability to dream." - Wang Leehom

Comments

• yuans7loveyuans7love BOO~? Posts: 2,163Member
    is it going to be aired in the U.S.?
    siggie<3

• saolaoanesaolaoane what can't destroy you makes you stronger TacomaPosts: 1,320Member
    ^ yea i was wondering that too. or it just gonna be clips aired instead?
  • singerchicksingerchick Posts: 1,202Member

ROOKIE

edited April 2006
    QUOTE(saolaoane @ Apr 16 2006, 03:54 PM) »

^ yea i was wondering that too. or it just gonna be clips aired instead?

I don't know if they will this year but I remember I watched it on channel 18 in Los Angeles one of the years that Amei won

"But this, like all journeys should be, was also a journey of the self, and I ultimately learned some intangible qualities of the human soul. A musical thread connects us, consistently from civilization to civilization. And that thread runs through you just as it does me. What patterns, and colors it will weave as the course of history plays out is only limited by our imagination and ability to dream." - Wang Leehom

• HONGTNHONGTN Qc, Canada =]Posts: 2,669Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

OOouhh cool...i wanna watch this...image canada....
  • PlatinumPlatinum ???? Posts: 1,626Member
    LA18 showed it the year Mandy Moore Hosted and the year Coco Lee Hosted..

the one year I wanted to watch it (when BoA one) no american station aired it..

and last year it was MTV Asia Aid... so MTV2 aired it... and MTV aired a version with only the american artists T_T
    imageimage
  • vannushkavannushka Mrs Darcy MelbournePosts: 1,678Friend of Soompi
    WHAT? i thought it was kelly clarkson....darn it
    Thanks Carol for the banner. Fleur rocks for making Owen look sexy!
    We weigh not on the same scales, the ills we do and the ills we feel
  • singerchicksingerchick Posts: 1,202Member

ROOKIE

QUOTE(vannushka @ Apr 16 2006, 05:30 PM) »

WHAT? i thought it was kelly clarkson....darn it

It was supposed to be her, but her schedule got screwed up.

• LucasBunnyLucasBunny What will I do without him? Posts: 15,205Member

IDOL

Sounds interesting!!
    Yay 4 Diversity!
  • SilenceAngelSilenceAngel Posts: 196Member
    why kelly?

Is she still in the music biz??
  • Lil.Miss.ALil.Miss.A Posts: 553Member

IDOL

omg I love Lee Hom!!! Never seen him MC tho...
    I hope sum1 will have this on CB or sumthin.. thanks for the info! ^^
  • pammiepammie superdork Pocky Island~Posts: 1,139Friend of Soompi
    Here's some updated information on who else willbe making a prescence at this years MTV Asia Awards...looks like its going to be one hell of a party...^^

Kelly Rowland And Wang LeeHom To Host MTV Asia Awards; Hoobastank, Rivermaya And Teriyaki Boyz To Perform

April 14, 2006

BANGKOK/SINGAPORE/HONG KONG - MTV Asia Pacific today announced that Kelly Rowland, the soul of ex-Destiny's Child, is set to host with Wang Leehom at the 5th annual MTV Asia Awards.

American rock band Hoobastank, Philippines' No. 1 alternative rock band Rivermaya and Japan's hip-hop super group Teriyaki Boyz will perform at this year's MTV Asia Awards, joining the lineup of previous announced performers including KoЯn, Lee Ryan and Simon Webbe. Another top draw will be the presence of pop giants such as Kangta of Korea, Tata Young and Thaitanium of Thailand, Vanness Wu of Taiwan and Vicky Zhao of mainland China.

It was also announced that Same Same, Skye Sweetnam and winner of Spankin' New Aussie Artist at the 2006 MTV Australia Video Music Awards -- The Veronicas will be attending this year’s awards ceremony. The MTV Asia Awards 2006 will take place at Siam Paragon in Bangkok on May 6.

As one of the founding members of Destiny's Child, Kelly Rowland rose to fame with the group in 1998 and became one of the most successful R&B acts of all time. In 2003, Kelly released her first solo album, Simply Deep, with smash hit "Dilemma" featuring Nelly, which won Kelly her first Grammy Award for Best Rap/ Sung Collaboration the same year. Kelly has also extended her career with acting, and is giving her fair share back to the world by actively involving in diverse charity organisations. She is currently in the studio working on her self-titled solo album which is due for release in July and her hosting talent will undoubtedly be welcomed with much admiration by her Asian fans at the event come May.

Hoobastank, featuring lead vocal Doug Robb, guitarist Dan Estrin and drummer Chris Hesse, is returning to Bangkok after their spectacular performance at the MTV Asia Aid in 2005. Praised by their fans as an ear candy of post grunge rock, their first album went platinum with hit singles "Crawling In The Dark" and "Running Away." Their second album with the title hit, "The Reason," came out in 2003, the album has sold five millions copies worldwide, and "The Reason" is the second most legally downloaded track of all time, winning the band numerous of industry accolades. The trio's latest single "If I Were You..." of their long-awaited new album, Every Man For Himself to be released in May, has already hit various radio charts. The triumphant of their works not only set new standards for today's rock music, it also shows that the boys are songwriters of uncommon talent, enabling the band to constantly sell out live shows. Being one of the performers at MTV Asia Awards 2006 this May, the band will have every good reason to blaze their fans with the energetic sound of Hoobastank.

Winner of Favourite Artist Philippines in 2005 and nominee for the same category at this year's MTV Asia Awards , Rivermaya's success spans over a decade with their latest massive hits such as "Umaaraw, Umuulan," "Balisong," "Liwanag sa Dilim" and "You'll Be Safe Here." Their latest album, Rivermaya Greatest Hits 2006: The Ultimate Collection, turned gold in less than a week of its release and has now hit platinum status. No fans can miss the chance to watch them work the crowd with their dynamic sounds in Bangkok.

Headed by hip-hop fashion icon Nigo of A Bathing Ape, Teriyaki Boyz features four MCs including Ilmari and Ryo-Z of Rip Slyme, Verbal of m-flo and Wise, who are already recognized as established figures in the Japanese Hip-Hop scene. The group has teamed up with Adrock of Beastie Boys, Cornelius, Cut Chemist, Daft Punk, Dan the Automator, DJ Premier, DJ Shadow, Just Blaze, Mark Ronson, DJ Michael 5000 Watts and The Neptunes, a superb team of sound creators to produce their first album Beef Or Chicken. The album was released in November 2005 and had taken the Oricon chart by storm just after one week of its launch, making the group one of the strongest J Hip-Hop names in history.

Pop prince Kangta, known as the lead singer of former K-pop group H.O.T., has emerged himself to one of the top notch singers in Korea and is determined to melt the audience with his tenderly good look. Pan-Asian pop queen Tata Young has conquered many fans in Asia with her beauty and multi-talent. As Thailand’s most successful pop star, she is ready to bring her Western flavour and sexual flair to her appearance on stage. Thailand's hottest hip-hop group Thaitanium is considered as the pioneer in Thai hip-hop music scene. With their English to Thai lyrics, these versatile rappers are guaranteed to take the show by storm. Vanness Wu is many girls' fantasy. The gifted singer with an easy-going character will grace the stage with his enormous charm and energy, bringing the crowd to hysteria. A-list actress and singer Vicky Zhao from Mainland China has made a splash in Hong Kong and Taiwan with the role of Little Shallow in one of the most successful Chinese TV dramas The Return Of Princess Pearl. Her playful and cheeky image will bring positive inspiration to the audience as she takes part in Asia’s biggest awards ceremony.

The MTV Asia Awards 2006 will be available to over 400 million households via 43 channels as well as through syndication worldwide. Updates on the MTV Asia Awards 2006 can be found on the official website at www.mtvasiaawards.com. MTV viewers can visit the MTV Asia websites for more information on Awards related contests and events.

Fans can also access information on their mobile phones by keying in http://maawap.com to follow the latest news on the upcoming awards, vote for their favourite artists and stand to win tickets to attend the show live. The WAP site will also feature MAA 2006 related content such as wallpapers and screensavers that are available for downloads.

Bringing together a unique blend of East and West, featuring the biggest names of international and local talents, the MTV Asia Awards is the largest music event ever seen in the region. Toyota Motor Corporation are returning to support the show for the forth year running in recognition of the value of communication with the youth of today. MSN is also lending their power to support this world-class award show for the first time.

Official Partner Sponsors for the MTV Asia Awards 2006 are Haier Electrical Appliances, Toyota Motor Corporation, Tourism Authority of Thailand, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited with Siam Paragon, World Class Shopping Phenomenon, as a Sponsor. Powered by MSN. Local Sponsors include IM3 and Gery Saluut Cokluut in Indonesia and 5425 in Korea. Official Hair Partner: Toni & Guy. Official Make-up Partner: M.A.C. Official Hotel: Millennium Hilton Bangkok.
    -- News Desk

Source : http://www.mtvasia.com/News/200604/15013327.html
  • #1BoA#1BoA Posts: 317Member
    I wish I could watch it on TV.

Wang LeeHom <333
  • MUXUMUXU science of sleep LDN, UKPosts: 3,294Member
    edited April 2006
    pretty sure MTV chi will air it..but i live in canada..so i dont have the channel

kelly rowland eh
    haha..korn...good job

edit:
    ricky martin?! o_O...i say...go james blunt
    their female list is crappy..lindsay lohan?
  • loveKloveK TorontoPosts: 1,913Member
    MTV Asia Awards this year is held kinda late compared to previous years.

I miss it. Can't watch it in Canada!
    IPB Image
    sig credit to Fleur. Thanks
  • xvi3txl0v1ngxxvi3txl0v1ngx CanadaPosts: 2,417Member

IDOL

ahh poo, i wanted to watch it. will it be aired on any other channel than MTV?
  • chinguzchinguz SydneyPosts: 757Member
    it's going to be interesting seeing kelly host it with leehom.
    May 6 is soon, so i should find a way to watch it!!

the nominees, i have no clue who most of them are cept for the ones in korea and taiwan, i recognise some from china/hk but never heard them sing.
    BTW:why are the overall favs all western? i never knew ricky martin was still around
  • heartdropsheartdrops yooruce willis. Posts: 7,052Friend of Soompi

IDOL

I read about this before and I'm glad that Leehom is hosting it.
    Why don't they air it on the regular MTV channel, or do they?
    If they air it in any other MTV channels, I wouldn't be able to watch it -___-.
    人生不管在多困難的時候都可以完成最動人的樂章
  • overdue56overdue56 Posts: 39Member
    ah, I hope it's not too rude to ask. I don't know so much about these kind of things since I'm not asian myself. Why is Japan not included? I do often hear that Japan seperates themselves and that they have "their own thing" going on. Is it true?
  • AestasAestas Posts: 2,282Member
    i think Japan already has their own MTV awards before the MTV Asia awards started.
  • elizabethelizabeth NowherePosts: 9,937Member

IDOL

I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully everything goes as planned. Good luck to them:P
    AWww.. to bad Kelly Clarkson couldn't make it..
    Visit my fashion blog @ joteielizabeth blogspot