Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blow off valve on automatic?

chungoonhaychungoonhay Posts: 61New Member
edited March 2006 in general discussion
is it possible?? and how does it sound on an automatic turbo car? i kno it wouldnt sound as good as if its on a manual but.. will it still sound OK?

does a blow off valve help ur car in any way? sorry for the noob questions

Replies

• Will_YuWill_Yu AustraliaPosts: 305Member

TRAINEE

edited March 2006
    from what i understand a bov vents the pressure produced each time the throttle is closed into the atmosphere. a bov will also prolong the life of the turbocharger bearings.

oh and yes, you can fit a bov on an auto
  • deportedkoreandeportedkorean Kelie C. Honolulu, HawaiiPosts: 4,528Friend of Soompi
    how will it sound on an auto?
    *reeer*CHHH*reer*CHHH*reeeeeeer*CHHH*reer*CHH*reeeeeer*...

...?...thats how it sounds like over here (lots of hills)

I dunno about it on an auto...cause the shiftin can be a bit...skittery (especially on roads with a bunch of hills)...

...yeah its possible on an auto though...

blow-off valves is just a safety measure (in addition to the waste-gate i believe) so the turbo doesnt overboost and damage the engine.
    instagram: chomamaa
  • boostboost NorCalPosts: 2,391Friend of Soompi
    Without a blowoff valve or some sort recirculating valve, the turbo will get compressor surges; which will damage the turbo in the long run.
    QUOTE (Krn_Track_Star @ Jan 13 2009, 07:01 AM) »
    also the g can already run mid 13s stock and the hks intakes adds an estimated 10 extra hp and the exhausts add like 8 so yeah it should shove off about 1.5 to 2 sec off my times

• some-azn-guysome-azn-guy ontario, canadaPosts: 542Friend of Soompi
    QUOTE(chungoonhay @ Mar 18 2006, 06:18 PM) »

is it possible?? and how does it sound on an automatic turbo car? i kno it wouldnt sound as good as if its on a manual but.. will it still sound OK?

does a blow off valve help ur car in any way? sorry for the noob questions

every turbo car has some sort of air-circulation system. the sound won't change whether it's on a manual or an automatic.

and yes, it helps...although you don't really need it, unless:
    i) you want the sound and shiny part under the hood
    ii) your boost pressure has exceeded the limits of the OEM unit

yes, it helps the engine. the bov vents the excess pressure after the throttle plates of the throttle body have closed. if the pressure isn't vented, it would go backward in the intake stream and eventually hit the turbo. that's what they call compressor surge.

QUOTE(deportedkorean @ Mar 19 2006, 04:05 AM) »

how will it sound on an auto?
    blow-off valves is just a safety measure (in addition to the waste-gate i believe) so the turbo doesnt overboost and damage the engine.

the wastegate is what controls the boost of the turbo.
    the blow-off valve is what vents the boost when you close the throttle(let off the gas).
  • chungoonhaychungoonhay Posts: 61New Member
    srry but if i buy a blow off valve do i need something else also?
  • some-azn-guysome-azn-guy ontario, canadaPosts: 542Friend of Soompi
    QUOTE(chungoonhay @ Mar 19 2006, 12:24 PM) »

srry but if i buy a blow off valve do i need something else also?

nope. all u need is the blow-off valve and some lines/hoses
    but you have 2 choices:
    -buy the BOV as a kit with all the lines/hoses
    -you can just buy the BOV with a weld-on flange and attach it right to the intake piping
  • Brian TBrian T Posts: 72Member
    If your doing it for the sound, be aware it won't blow-off between shifts.
    "Yo, I got AWD, I can make this turn."
    IPB Image
  • chungoonhaychungoonhay Posts: 61New Member
    so u wont b able to hear it at all?? on an auto??
  • ZiGeNX77ZiGeNX77 ☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺ Bay Area, CaliforniaPosts: 2,740Moderator

I think thats what Brian means. If you're doing it purely for the sound, don't buy one.
    ~Soompi Moderator Team - David
  • rich.paekkrich.paekk Va 703Posts: 472Member
    don't people poke fun at automatic cars with blow off valves?

mr.moderator i like how your hearts turn blue image
  • boostboost NorCalPosts: 2,391Friend of Soompi
    edited March 2006
    QUOTE(rich.paekk @ Mar 19 2006, 04:56 PM) »

don't people poke fun at automatic cars with blow off valves?

i think that only applies to cars similar to an automatic SOHC civic
    QUOTE (Krn_Track_Star @ Jan 13 2009, 07:01 AM) »
    also the g can already run mid 13s stock and the hks intakes adds an estimated 10 extra hp and the exhausts add like 8 so yeah it should shove off about 1.5 to 2 sec off my times

• Brian TBrian T Posts: 72Member
    QUOTE(chungoonhay @ Mar 19 2006, 05:13 PM) »

so u wont b able to hear it at all?? on an auto??

It'll make sound when you left off the gas...that's about it.
    "Yo, I got AWD, I can make this turn."
    IPB Image
  • pandapanda southern california, baby.Posts: 896Member
    QUOTE(Brian T @ Mar 19 2006, 10:51 PM) »

It'll make sound when you left off the gas...that's about it.

that's correct. the blow off valve will only vent IF the gas pedal is released due to the closing of the throttle body plate. if the throttle body plate closes, the plenum/intake manifold induces a vacuum, in which causes the valve of the bov to open via a vacuum line. automatic drivers do NOT release the gas pedal during shifts, therefore you will not hear it as often. contrary, manual drivers do need to release the gas pedal during shifts (no power shifting prease) therefore the bov sound will emit during shifts.

the bov's main point is to reduce the charged intake air from backing INTO the turbo, causing compressor surge as some-azn-guy pointed out. compressor surge will cause wear, tear and general stress to the turbocharger blades and cartridges. not to mention, compressor surge also decreases the rotational momentum of the turbo itself and will induce turbo lag. so, a bov will keep your turbos safe by effectively eliminating compressor surge and turbo lag (not initial turbo lag; only during movement).

get it got it good?
    IPB Image

neener neener... can't catch me~!
  • TrainDriverTrainDriver look behind you....Posts: 3,909Member
    QUOTE(Brian T @ Mar 20 2006, 05:26 AM) »

If your doing it for the sound, be aware it won't blow-off between shifts.

i thought it blows-off between shifts, some guys were talking about it on another forum. anyway does the BOV reduce turbo lag in any form?
  • krnkrn Posts: 455Member
    QUOTE(ongi3000 @ Mar 21 2006, 08:47 AM) »

i thought it blows-off between shifts, some guys were talking about it on another forum. anyway does the BOV reduce turbo lag in any form?

Did you read anything in this thread?
  • pandapanda southern california, baby.Posts: 896Member
    QUOTE(ongi3000 @ Mar 21 2006, 08:47 AM) »

i'll be the dumb butt and quote myself.

QUOTE(panda @ Mar 20 2006, 04:07 AM) »

that's correct. the blow off valve will only vent IF the gas pedal is released due to the closing of the throttle body plate. if the throttle body plate closes, the plenum/intake manifold induces a vacuum, in which causes the valve of the bov to open via a vacuum line. automatic drivers do NOT release the gas pedal during shifts, therefore you will not hear it as often. contrary, manual drivers do need to release the gas pedal during shifts (no power shifting prease) therefore the bov sound will emit during shifts.

the bov's main point is to reduce the charged intake air from backing INTO the turbo, causing compressor surge as some-azn-guy pointed out. compressor surge will cause wear, tear and general stress to the turbocharger blades and cartridges. not to mention, compressor surge also decreases the rotational momentum of the turbo itself and will induce turbo lag. so, a bov will keep your turbos safe by effectively eliminating compressor surge and turbo lag (not initial turbo lag; only during movement).

get it got it good?

IPB Image

neener neener... can't catch me~!
  • TrainDriverTrainDriver look behind you....Posts: 3,909Member
    aiyo lol sorry, it was kinda late last night.
  • itz_jOw3itz_jOw3 Beverly Hills, CAPosts: 259Member
    mines beyond loud... im running the HKS SUPER SEQUENTIAL BOV on my S/C auto IS300.

People think my car sounds like turbo ~

but yea... it sounds the same ( only when you floor it and let off )
    jOwe l AIM - itz jOw3 l MSN - itz_jOw3@Hotmail.com l [m]ypace

┗ 조 이 리 ┓411
    /// TWCompetition l NCCA Offical Best Team Overall 2005-2006