[movie 2003] Old Boy 올드보이

Guest babygirl3376

Guest babygirl3376
Choi Min Shik, Yoo Ji Tae
Oldboy (2003) Starring: Min-sik Choi Ji-tae Yu Hye-jeong Kang Plot: An average man is kidnapped and imprisoned in a shabby cell for 15 years without explanation. He then is released, equipped with money, a cellphone and expensive clothes. As he strives to explain his imprisonment and get his revenge, he soon finds out that not only his kidnapper has still plans for him, but that those plans will serve as the even worse finale to 15 years of imprisonment. Opinions on this movie?........ ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Happy_Day

Wow, I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this. I heard this movie did awesome in Korea. And all the guys I talked to loved it. Anyways, I haven't actually watched this movie (haha, my dad wouldn't let me after he watched it, and I'm 18). Ohwellz, I saw a few clips, and there's really gross stuff in it.

• 3 weeks later...

it was violent and at some aspects i wonder if the movie's purpose is suppose to shock, since the ending was suppose to surprise/shock.

that said, i like how the movie was shot though. there was less of a shock factor in Sympathy for Lady Vengence (the one with Lee Youngae) compared to Old Boy. i preferred the storyline for Sympathy for Lady Vengence.

Old Boys is a good film. just prepare yourself for the violence when you go watch it. i'm not much of fan of choi minsook's acting who was the lead character (might be because of his acting style). i thought lee youngae did a pretty a good job with her acting in Sympathy for Lady Vengence. (peronsally her acting sticks in my mind to the point that i wonder if her real life personality is more like the her character in Sympathy for Lady Vengence than in Dae Janggeum). lol sorry didn't intend to make this a comparison thing, just that they're part of park chanwook's vengence triology.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asian_lisa

^kloofy or something. that website has translations i think....

i watched this movie awhile back and i found it disturbing/weird and sick.

the whole thing about incest and the bro and sis stuff was really nasty... the honest truth i didnt think this movie was great. although i did like the fighting/violence parts :P

Guest Happy_Day

For those of you who have seen this movie, is it true that Choi Min Shik unknowingly has a love scene with his daughter?! Now, that's disturbing!

Wait, isn't there a thread on this movie already???

Anyways, the ending was very shocking... I really like the tempo of the movie; it was good overall (not the best but it was good)..

Guest love_is_the_darkness

Hi everyone, I was totally blown away by this movie. The acting was wonderful! It was creepy, dangerous and very disturbing. I heard that it was going to be remade over here in the US...I hope they don't! This movie really stands out!

~M~

this is an excellent movie, but so disturbing at the same time. i was so disturbed by the ending, it was so sick.

this movie along with Irreversible (a french movie i think) are in my list of sickest movies that i have seen in my life (Irreversible is worst than this but with its ending Oldboy was about to top my list).

For those of you who have seen this movie, is it true that Choi Min Shik unknowingly has a love scene with his daughter?! Now, that's disturbing!

That is true in every way. It's understandable when you watch the movie.

SPOILER!!!

Main bad guy makes Oldboy go through the same thing that he did. Main bad guy did his sister, oldboy finds out, oldboy kidnapped and made to forget, oldboy does his daughter. The basic premise of the story. Basically done for revenge

END SPOILER!!!

With that said, I thought this movie was well done. The 2 minute 40 second uncut sideview fight was awesome. I'd recommend it if you're into the sorta-gory type of violence. It's disturbing in every aspect but I think it was worth the watch.

This was the 2nd movie that i've watched directed by Park Chan-wuk...the first one was JSA.

I love both of them....

Here are some old news abt this movie.

"Old Boy" Wins Best Asian Film Award...

The popularity of the movie "Old Boy," directed by Park Chan-wook and starring Choi Min-sik and Yoo Ji-tae, keeps soaring day by day. Recently,

the movie received the Best Asian Film Award at the 24th Hong Kong Film Award ceremony, and leaped to the 30th spot on the Internet Movie

Database (IMDB) from its previous 105th position after it was released in New York on March 25.

After ranking 170th on Feb. 27 and edging up to the 167th spot on March 6, "Old Boy" leaped to the 36th spot on March 19 before plunging again to 105th place on March 20. On March 27, the movie finally grabbed the 30th spot.

The IMDB ranking, also called the "moviemeter," is updated once a week, with the website being visited by a daily average of 2 million people.

Currently, there are over 310,000 movies on its rankings list, including both movies that have opened and those that have yet to premiere.

http://english.kbs.co.kr

poster5.jpg

20.jpg

poster6.jpg

Guest teehehe

Ahh man!!! This movie was so intense O_____o;;;....great though. It was amazing. Pak ChanWook is so talented.

I would rank Old Boy in my top ten. But the director's most recent movie ChinJeolHan GeumJaSshi (Kind-hearted GeumJa aka Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) IS MY FAVORITE...!!!

Archived