The Official Tattoo Thread

Guest liimegreeen

Guest liimegreeen
Get advice. Share pics/stories. Talk with other inked people.

It's time to revamp the Tattoo Thread! Just like

the Piercing Thread, this first post will be a basic guide to tattoos. It's still in the works, and I'm open to suggestions! *UPDATED WITH NEW INFO ON OCT. 15, 2009*

SUGGESTED CARE:

The first several days are absolutely critical to the healing of your tattoo. Tattoos generally take about two weeks to completely heal, and after that it's easy. Many tattoo artists suggest different aftercare regimes, and there is no single way that is far better than the others. People have success healing their tattoos with many different methods, but the following is a great aftercare regime which results in a bright, sharp tattoo. Day 1-5 Do this 3-4 times daily. Get into the shower and, with your finger tips, wash your tattoo vigorously in small, circular motions. Be gentle but firm. Then apply some antibacterial soap to your fingers and again, wash your tattoo vigorously. After this, wash it clean. Do this process a couple of times each time you are in the shower. Get out of the shower and blot your tattoo dry with a towel and then air-dry for 1-2 minutes. After you have dried, apply tiny dabs of Aquaphor with your finger tip to the tattoo. Use so little that you are able to rub in the Aquaphor completely so that it disappears. Day 5-14 Within this timeframe (roughly) your tattoo will peel heavily. DO NOT PICK AT IT. The only aftercare you will need to do at this point is applying unscented lotion to it once a day. Day 14+ Your tattoo will be healed by this point. Moisturize it daily (with sunscreen if it is in an area that's exposed to the sun) to keep it looking fresh!

SUGGESTED PRODUCTS:

ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP This will be used on your tattoo in the shower for the first 5 days. Original Dial liquid soap (it's orange) or Satin soap are great options. AQUAPHOR This is applied to your tattoo after you wash it for the first 5 days. UNSCENTED LOTION This is applied to your tattoo after the first 5 days. Lubriderm or Cetaphil are excellent choices. SUNSCREEN If your tattoo is in a place that is exposed to the sun, applying sunscreen to it daily after it has healed is vital to keeping it looking fresh and vibrant.

COMMON QUESTIONS:

Q: Are tattoos safe? A: Yes, as long as you go to a reputable artist that is following all recommended safety precautions. Find out what these recommendations are by going through this safety checklist. Q: Does it hurt? A: Pain is relative. It is different for everyone since we all have a different tolerancy to pain. Some have compared it to a "hot scratching feeling". Just keep in mind, people would not be returning again and again for tattoo after tattoo if it hurt too much! Q: How much is it going to cost? A: You get what you pay for. Yes, there are plenty of people tattooing out there that will ink you cheap, and you'll be crying to a real artist to have it covered up. Look for quality, and be willing to pay for it. NEVER haggle over the price of a tattoo. It is disrespectful to the artist. If you can't pay for quality, don't bother. This is a piece of art you will wear for life. Q: What should I get? And where? A: This is all a matter of personal taste. You can get whatever you want, and whatever your artist is willing to do. You can choose a picture off the wall, or you can have them create a custom piece just for you. Your only limit is your own imagination. As far as where you should get it goes, just keep in mind what you do for work and the type of social circles you are in. You might want to consider placing your tattoo where it can be easily covered up with normal clothing. Q: Where can I find pictures of tattoo designs? A: If you're getting a tattoo, especially as an expression of your individuality, why would you want a tattoo just like someone else's? Instead, find other pictures or photos of the subject you want tattooed and have your artist draw up a custom design for you. If the pictures don't show exactly what you want, just take them to your artist to use them as guidelines and tell them what changes you want made to the original pictures. A real artist will welcome the challenge of a custom piece. Q: Is it OK to lay out in the sun or go to the tanning bed when you have tattoos? A: Absolutely not. Ultraviolet rays, while adding a nice bronze tone to your skin, drain the life out of a tattoo. The more you tan, the more the ink fades. Avoid sunning your tattoo at all costs by using protective clothing and unscreen.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really want a kanji tattoo

many people have different opinions about these but i have to stand up and say they're lame and over done.

with kanji tattoos,you never know if you have the right kanji or not. one brush stroke and it means something different. don't EVER get kanji off a wall. that's a definate no-no.

"with kanji tattoos,you never know if you have the right kanji or not. one brush stroke and it means something different. don't EVER get kanji off a wall. that's a definate no-no."

i agree.

"many people have different opinions about these but i have to stand up and say they're lame and over done. "

i dont agree. mind you that i am only responding to the kanji tattoos. i agree with you on tribal.

i am planning on getting my last name in kanji somewhere on my body.

i would like to ask you, with your "extensive knowledge", if this is a lame idea.

Guest girl armageddon

"with kanji tattoos,you never know if you have the right kanji or not. one brush stroke and it means something different. don't EVER get kanji off a wall. that's a definate no-no."

i agree.

"many people have different opinions about these but i have to stand up and say they're lame and over done. "

i dont agree. mind you that i am only responding to the kanji tattoos. i agree with you on tribal.

i am planning on getting my last name in kanji somewhere on my body.

i would like to ask you, with your extensive knowledge, if this is a lame idea.

hey it's cool.

i'm not talking about last name's or anything like that. i'm talking about run-of-the mill normal kanji that say 'dragon' or 'power' or 'love' or something that like that.no meaning at all, you see? your last name is meaningful so therefore is not lame.

sorry if you disagree with that too. i'm not trying to sound like a smartass if that's what i come off as.

hey it's cool.

i'm not talking about last name's or anything like that. i'm talking about run-of-the mill normal kanji that say 'dragon' or 'power' or 'love' or something that like that.no meaning at all, you see? your last name is meaningful so therefore is not lame.

sorry if you disagree with that too. i'm not trying to sound like a smartass if that's what i come off as.

no harm done. thank you for your response.

i agree with your thoughts on random kanji.

Guest Mercedes_slk350

fully agree on the fact that you shouldnt ask, others opinions on what you should get.

Always get something meaningful and something you wont regret is what i say.

Guest yah boy b0y

whooaa.... the ear collapse really freaked me out.... now i'm reconsidering piercin my left earlop

but i do kinda want a tat of my chinese name on my back.. would that be regarded as kenji???

2800874.jpg

I'm getting this one! I don't care if it's Nicole Richie's, I still want it.

I don't get it.. whats up with these religious tattoos. i mean what if you go through a traumatic experience and decide to change ur religion afterwards. and gettin it remove would really suck.

Guest girl armageddon

yah boy b0y: I already answered the name thing when i replied to Aki's response. but if you're asking for others opinions, then please read the first answer of the Tattoo Q&A. the religion tattoo thing i cannot answer. maybe you should ask someone who has one?

mei: i adore pelvic bone tattoos. i think thats the sexiest place to get them done. but that's just me. ^^;

Guest BebeSweet

^She has several tattoos. Over four, I believe. Upper back, wrist, back of her neck, ankles...

Anyways, I don't think it's a bad place to get a tattoo and it could be easily covered up if I were to attend something formal. But I don't really care what anyone says, I LOVE IT. I never ever wanted to get a tattoo but ever since I saw hers, which was over an year ago... I've wanted it.

Guest missbebe_x3

TATTOO HELP~

i posted a whole aftercare of tattoos and how to find a good tattoo artist before.. [before soompi got 'renewed'] but if anyone still wants it.. i'll be happy to help.. only on tattoos though~

and plz dont ask where u should get it or what design~

whooaa.... the ear collapse really freaked me out.... now i'm reconsidering piercin my left earlop

but i do kinda want a tat of my chinese name on my back.. would that be regarded as kenji???

I don't get it.. whats up with these religious tattoos. i mean what if you go through a traumatic experience and decide to change ur religion afterwards. and gettin it remove would really suck.

half of the people with crucifix tattoos aren't religious anyhow.

it's become some kinda fashion statement.

what i'm sayin is they wouldn't have to get it removed because of a 'traumatic' experience. haha <_<

I'm thinking of getting a tatto on my pelvis (bone). :o

same. i don't know if i want it horizontal or vertical. i'm planning on getting my korean name done.

Guest System1430291513

i wanted one near the bottom of my back,

but i decided not to. because i'm when i'm old,

it's going to be all wrinkly and weird,

just my opinion.

im planning to get a patch job cause i regret getting what i got i the old one. im planning to put my last name on it instead, u said go to the best tattoo artist, but any tattoo artist would be alright right ? since they are tattoos artist so they should be able to know how to redo it to make it look its best. im also planning to get a kanji symbol that said believe and pain on my wrist, ive asked many japanese people, and ive "think" ive gotten the right symbol, but im not really sure. is there a site to find kanji words ? the ones ive been to, if u want the real meaning and the real kanji symbol, u gotta pay for it.

Archived