Mascara for Asian Eye Types?

Guest Milica

Guest Milica

So me and my cousin were talking about mascara a few days ago and we both concluded that a lot of mascaras out there don't work that well for Asian eyes types. I have monolids (the hidden kind) while my cousin has double eyelids. The hardest thing is that our eyelashes are very straight and short and because our eyelids are heavier, mascaras tend to smudge.

We've tried many drugstore bands, and we don't really like any of them. Also tried Diorshow, smudges too much and is too flaky for contact lens. Tried Benefit's mascaras and found they smudge and clump. Currently I'm use the Cover Girl Lash Perfection, it doesn't smudge, flake or clump, and its very good for bottom lashes, but very ugly for top lashes because it doesn't hold a curl.

So girls, any recommendations for mascara or even ways to apply mascara to make it look good on Asian lashes?

Guest f0reveralways

i personally like bare escentual's buxom mascara and maybelline's colossal mascara.

to apply, i first curl my lashes w/ my shiseido curler. then uh, when i take the mascara brush out of the bottle, i wipe off excess mascara (that's on the edge/tip of the brush) onto the bottle. Then during the actual application, I wiggle the brush as I move it upwards away from my lashline. If there's clumping or something, I'll brush through my lashes with a lash brush afterwards.

Guest ChuuChuuu

I use Maybelline's colossal mascara.. it makes my eyes really pop out. I use liquid eyeliner with it though. It might just be because you curl your lashes with a lot of the mascara.. so it might clump for some, depends.

Guest duh123

i don't understand how the shape of your eyes determines the mascara. since mascara is just used on the lashes rather than anywhere else that has to do with the shape of your eyes. i have uneven eyelids; one double and one single. the thing i found that works well for my straight lashes is to just buy the waterproof version ALWAYS. i never get smudging even at the end of the day in the summer when my eyelashes fall down. my eyelids are also very oily. if you want your eyelashes to stay curled, use a heated eyelash curler and quickly put on very water-resistant mascara and your eyelashes will remain curled all day with no smudging.

Guest AS1AND0LL

I absolutely love the Buxom mascara and what I do is just curl my lashes and apply the mascara on and thankfully I have naturally long lashes that curls up by itself but using the Buxom mascara gives it a more thicker appearance, definitely give it a try!

I'd heard a lot of negative things about the Maybelline Falsies mascara so I was hesitant to give it a try, but it's actually my favorite mascara now. I have it in Black Drama, and it lengthens my lashes more than any other mascara I've tried, holds a curl, and doesn't clump. I look for lengthening in a mascara more than anything else since my lashes are extremely short, so I was very pleased with this one.

Guest swagarina

http://web1.sasa.com/SasaWeb/eng/product/viewProductDetail.jspa?itemno=102474003002

this one is the best i've ever used. it holds the way i CURLED my eyelashes. dont ever dROP my upper eyelashes and it has ALOT of fibers to extend your eyelashes. 

i agree!! i bought this when i was in HK a while back and it was AMAZINGG. it lengthens lashes and holds a curl really well. the only annoying thing is that it's hard to remove, but that's a good thing if you're worried about smearing haha i was so sad when i ran out :(

you should try a waterproof mascara, the waxy substance holds a curl better. and stay away from 'wet' formulas like YSL faux cils because they're really heavy and tend to make the curl droop down

Guest XIAHT!C

i think a lot of the time it's the type of brush you use. i noticed that thicker, more rounded brushes are difficult for me to apply properly because it's too much for my short lashes to handle. i like straight thinner brushes, ones that have shorter bristles, and ones that are more spread out. then i go into if i want lengthening, volumizing, etc. eyeko skinny brush mascara from sephora (http://www.sephora.com/eyeko-skinny-brush-mascara-P307589?skuId=1409259) works perfectly!

Guest iyagi

I have the same problem. It's normally fixed by curling my lashes, but sometimes the curl won't hold long enough and I will get a little smudging. My first mascara was the Maybelline Falsies, which is okay imo. Doesn't hold curl all that well but it really lengthens. I do tend to get smudging with this one so I only use it sometimes. Now my go-to mascara is the L'Oreal Double Extend with Lash Boosting Serum. I found this to be a really good mascara for daily use since it looks natural and I don't get clumping or smudging. Only downside is it's not waterproof, but upside of that is it's easy to remove at the end of the day. The last boosting serum is supposed to promote healthy lash growth as well, but idk if it really works lol.

Guest iPhets

I like the mascaras from Majorlica Majorca (I think I spelt it right), but they're just a bit hard to remove.

Cute packaging too :P

My eyelashes never ever hold a curl unless I have their mascaras (+ the primer) on, plus they're really thin and short, so I think they will work out quite nicely for you.

Guest Milica

i don't understand how the shape of your eyes determines the mascara. since mascara is just used on the lashes rather than anywhere else that has to do with the shape of your eyes. i have uneven eyelids; one double and one single. the thing i found that works well for my straight lashes is to just buy the waterproof version ALWAYS. i never get smudging even at the end of the day in the summer when my eyelashes fall down. my eyelids are also very oily. if you want your eyelashes to stay curled, use a heated eyelash curler and quickly put on very water-resistant mascara and your eyelashes will remain curled all day with no smudging.

The shape of your eyes matter...heavier eyelids 'push down' on your lashes. Even though my cousin has double eyelids, it's not like really prominent and the lids still push and rub against the lashes and since she has oily lids, it makes the mascara smudge. I heard waterproof is better as well, I read from fmheadtotoe that Urban Decay's cannonball is pretty good, anyone tried it yet?

Also, I really want to try some of the Asian mascaras like the one SallyRose posted, anyone know good sites to order from?

Guest sakumar

Well I can't say I have personal experiences with the type of lashes that you speak of but here is what I have heard.  

Fairydrops: apparently they apply well on asian lashes.  I currently use this mascara and it does not clump like drug store ones.  I must say that they are very natural and hold my curls up.  

Eyko: Not sure if I spelled that right, but perhaps a smaller brush could help.  The eye pole looks great for getting into tight spaces and seems like it could pick up those corner lashes a lot better than other mascaras could.  I have never tried this one though so I can't give my input on the formula but the design looks like it could acomplish something. 

i agree with heroine make long & curl mascara :D it's really waterproof though, but i've had no problems removing it with waterproof eye MU removers (such as lancome bi facil, sephora waterpoof eye MU remover or neutrogena oil free eye MU remover) it doesn't rub off easily like washable mascaras, but it holds a curl SOOO well O_O i've been repurchasing it for years lol

Archived