Mcdonalds is healthy

Mannosuke

So the other day I was eating some SUBWAY and a couple at the other table was ranting about how mcdonalds lied to them.

That mcdonalds advertised themselves as a healthy meal with all the lettuce and tomatoes in the burgers, but now their kid is so damn fat.

Who is to blame? The couple for believing that mcdonalds is healthy, or mcdonalds for not informing others that consuming their foods may lead to unhealthy life-styles?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the other day I was eating some SUBWAY and a couple at the other table was ranting about how mcdonalds lied to them.

That mcdonalds advertised themselves as a healthy meal with all the lettuce and tomatoes in the burgers, but now their kid is so damn fat.

Who is to blame? The couple for believing that mcdonalds is healthy, or mcdonalds for not informing others that consuming their foods may lead to unhealthy life-styles?

You are to blame, for not advertising SUBWAY enough.

Guest HERMIT

It's the couple's fault, I'd say.  It's ultimately their responsibility to research and monitor what they feed their own child.  That's not McDonald's job.

And to their credit, McDonald's (as are other fast food chains) do make nutritional information available to their customers and are proactively developing ways to better their products (ie. reducing the calories in their Happy Meals, reducing the sodium in their McNuggets).  So it's not exactly false advertising since they are providing full disclosure of the nutritional value of their products.  It's up to the customer to bother researching / processing the information and making their own decisions.

Guest monkeyinabarrel

I'll treat you to some McDonalds... In fact I'll get you free McDonalds everyday!

Am I entitled to this offer also?

They should hire anorexic people who are dying of hunger...

So that way, they could be like "LOOK AT OUR ANOREXIC EMPLOYEES! THEY EAT MCDONALD'S 24/7 EVERYDAY CUZ THEY WORK HERE! DON'T BRING US EXCUSES TO ACCUSE US THAT WE MAKE YOU FAT! Thank you come again!"

They should hire anorexic people who are dying of hunger...

So that way, they could be like "LOOK AT OUR ANOREXIC EMPLOYEES! THEY EAT MCDONALD'S 24/7 EVERYDAY CUZ THEY WORK HERE! DON'T BRING US EXCUSES TO ACCUSE US THAT WE MAKE YOU FAT! Thank you come again!"

Which makes me wonder if that's the reason I got hireddd???? No matter how much McDonalds I eat, I end up losing weight. Watch me die of cholesterol.

Guest Langknow

My knee jerk reaction would be to blame the couple for being lazy and not  feeding their food real food. 

However, there are probably many other factors involved that we may not know about. It's easy to judge people without knowing the whole facts , but there are certain conditions that could have caused them to believe that mcdonald's food is actually healthy.

For example, what is their income level ? This is important because depending upon your socio and economic background, buying whole real food, might be more expensive than just buying lower quality food like McDonalds. That's not to say that all mcdonald's items are low quality. 

Another factor, is the level of education that these people had, which also could tie into their level of wealth or their families. Obviously, not all poor people don't have education, and even then, just because you have a well brought education doesn't make you refrain from going to mcdonald's and blaming them for your kids fatness. 

When people think of obese kids and adults, they just think it's because they eat a lot, that's one of the factors, but there are other things that contribute to this. People didn't get fat in months, it takes years of certain environmental conditions that produce that kind of outcome. Similarly, 6 pack abs are not just exercising and eating right, it's also psychological too, and also dependent on environmental factors too. 

Mannosuke, why do your topics always catch my attention? haha :D

I think it's McDonald's fault for being disgusting and the couple's fault for being plain stupid. So both are equally at fault.

Don't get me wrong, I love fast food, although I rarely eat it. The last time I ate McDonald's was probably 2-3 months ago... but I wouldn't mind going in tomorrow or something to eat lunch or anything like that. As long as I'm aware of what I'm eating, and as long as I can think independently of what the media tells me, then I'll be fine.

When someone actually chooses to believe the fabricated lies that big organizations like McDonald's gives out to the public, then, well... -.-''

If the couple actually wanted their kid to eat healthy, then why didn't they just go to the grocery store or a farmer's market and buy some actual organic, non-genetically modified lettuce and tomatoes for their kid to eat? Just stir it in a salad, put it in a fun sandwich or... or just eat it raw.

And a "healthy lifestyle" isn't just eating right, but also being physically active, drinking enough water and getting proper sleep, all of which, in the wrong proportions can contribute to their son being "fat".

So I think before they blame McDonald's for being "unhealthy" (which is already glaringly obvious to begin with), they should reset their understanding of what "healthy" is.

Guest monkeyinabarrel

^I'll let you in on a dirty secret

Many times junk food is cheaper than their healthy counter part and some people just don't have access to farmers market

they probably know McDonalds in unhealthy but they also know they can get more bang for their bucks on junk food than healthy. This is especially true if you have 2 kids to feed and only 20 bucks

^I'll let you in on a dirty secret

Many times junk food is cheaper than their healthy counter part and some people just don't have access to farmers market

they probably know McDonalds in unhealthy but they also know they can get more bang for their bucks on junk food than healthy. This is especially true if you have 2 kids to feed and only 20 bucks

Don't worry, I watched Food Inc. ^^

And yeah... I forgot to think about the couple's financial situation, my bad.

I come from a pretty well-off family so sometimes I can be a bit ignorant ><

Well.. maybe they can try growing vegetables in their backyard?

Or maybe their kids can work when they're old enough?

Before my mom married my dad, she had to work several jobs at once while balancing school as well... throughout her high school career she probably went through more than 20 part time jobs. And she still made it to university, despite living in a small apartment and struggling to find money to buy clothes.

I know it's easier said than done, but never give up hope!

Guest CrazyMango

The couple - the parents are responsible for choosing how much, how often and where their child eats. McDonald's might market themselves as healthy but it is the couple's responsibility to clarify what that 'healthy' means. Is it healthy in terms of nutritive content/calorific intake etc, how much would you need to consume for the meal to become unhealthy?

Guest masterofceremony

Definitely the parents! They should filter the information coming to them about particular product properties. Noone should100% believe to what big food-corporations is saying, especially when it goes about food for childrens.

Even water can be toxic for you if you drink too much of it.  Since they know lettuce and tomatoes are healthy and that their kid got fat and unhealthy from eating the burgers, they should've been at the supermarket buying lettuce and tomatoes instead.  It's their fault for being irresponsible idiots.

I think its plain stupid to blame a restaurant for customer idiocy.

People love to push blame elsewhere, rather than put it where it belongs. The parents are at fault, SOLELY AT FAULT if in fact their child became fat from eating too much McDonalds. The customers being idiots does not remove that blame.

Thats like a customer feeding their kid a cleaning agent thinking it would help with some illness and killing the child and people blaming the cleaning agent manufacturer because it must be their fault because they advertise it as killing 99% of germs and bacteria. That doesn't change the fact it was the idiot parent that fed the kid the cleaning agent, which would have ALL the instructions and warnings on the label (and McDs has their nutritional info readily available and most have the calorie counts right on the menu).

I'm sorry, but anyone that blames the restaurant... I doubt your own ability to accept responsibility for your own actions. And you might want to consider hiring someone with a higher intellect to hold your hand and walk you through life if you're incapable of making your own informed decisions. That way, you wont get fat from eating every meal at a fast food joint which is COMMON KNOWLEDGE to be unhealthy as a standard diet and is intended only for occassional convenience.

Restaurants, like stores, offer a product. It is YOUR job to inform yourself about the product and decide if its right for you and to what extent you make use of their product or services. If you misuse those products or services, despite readily available info, instructions and common sense... YOU are solely to blame. Not the restaurant or store.

I gained quite a bit of weight when I was drinking soda 24/7. Guess whose fault that was? Coca-Colas? Nope. It was MY FAULT and mine alone. I acknowledged that and quite drinking soda with the exception of the occassional sprite. Problem solved, coke had no responsibility in my choice nor the solution to the resulting problem.

Guest EternalFiend

This is hilarious though. It's all in the person though. It's their choice to eat at that restaurant. If it's making you unhealthy then don't go to it. :rolleyes:

Archived