2012 Honda CRV v. 2013 Mazda CX-5

Guest tian`tian

Guest tian`tian

I'm getting a new car soon (within next 2 months) and have been looking at crossovers. I've test driven the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, Hyundai Tuscon, Nissan Rogue and Mazda CX-5. After some basic stuff, I've narrowed it down to most likely Honda CRV or Mazda CX-5.

My price range is max ~ $25k.

Any opinions on the two cars? I know that the 2012 CRV was redesigned, every trim level has a back up camera and bluetooth standard, lots of trunk space, very reliable, pretty good gas mileage. Alloy wheels come only starting at the 2nd trim level though. 2.4L engine

2013 Mazda CX-5 is a completely new model by Mazda, hasn't been out for that long. Supposedly has the best mpg for any crossover/SUV out there. Drives closer to a sports car than any of the other ones I've test driven (which is pretty fun! :)). Alloy wheels on every trim level. I'd have to jump to the 2nd trim level for a back up camera and bluetooth though. 2.0L engine

I've never bought Honda or Mazda before so I'm not totally sure about reliability and resale value.

I will be driving it somewhat a lot - moving about 3 hrs away from home and will make occasional trips back.

Any thoughts?

Just looked at some reviews.. out of the two, i guess i'd go with the CRV.  Interior quality looks great.. more horsepower.. 185? vs 155? i maybe wrong.. just took a couple minutes to search.. mazda's sky technology? i'm not sure how new, or if any problems with... normally i would consider honda a step above for reliability, but with any first year model cars expect more issues.. I would even test drive a "second" time... judge steering, road/engine noise, acceleration, comfort, storage, etc.. rear view camera is a plus.... honda is "boring".. not really fun to drive.. more so people buy because of gas mileage and reliability.. i'm not sure if crv's are made here or in japan..??.. 

1+ honda crv..

If you are going to commute a lot, I guess Honda is the best choice, since it known for not burning so much gas fast.

I have a 2009 Mazda CX-9, bought it in late 2009. Hubby was able to get the CX-9 $16K below MSRP, fully loaded, :P

I guess because we bought it in late 2009, the dealer wanted to get rid of it fast, for the 2010 cars.

Hubby and I commute to work 16 miles (1 way), mostly freeway. We have to refill $50-60 worth of gas, once a week.

When we were looking for a family car, we were looking at CRV too, but hubby and I thought its too small for us, we didn't like the interior and the features we could get for the price that the dealers offered for that car.

Guest Laxntiga

We had a CR-V for about 124k miles. We bought it right before the new design came out. I believe ours was the highest model CR-V.

The CR-V is a great car, very reliable, dependable, the awd system kicks in when there's snow (Although, 1 foot or more = makes it almost impossible, even with snow tires).

I sold the CR-V and now own a Subaru WRX STi, Subaru's AWD system is best hands down imo.

Now, in regards to Mazda, I had a Mazda Miata for a while. Mazda is a great car company. They try to inject a little 'fun' into each of their cars, in driving feel / handling. Mazda makes some great cars and I really do adore them.

Overall, I think you made the best 2 choices, even if the Toyota RAV4 is probably higher ranked than the CR-V.

I do know the RAV 4 has more room and has better mpg than the CR-V.

Since you picked two very good cars, I will list some of the con's of the CR-V as I have never owned or driven the CX-5 (although, I think it looks great!).

CONS OF THE CR-V:

1. The car is heavier than you think and you will not get the MPG listed

2. Feels underpowered, but good for MPG

3. It wont breakdown/fail you, so you never have a reason to get a new car

4. When the rear seats fold down, it doesn't offer a flat surface (I think all cross overs are like this, to get a completely flat surface, I think you need to get a wagon).

5. There are so many other people with CR-V's

6. Nosier than the RAV4

That's about it. Either way, I don't think you could go wrong with either the CX-5 and the CR-V.

I would probably chose a base model and save the money (bigger cars = more boring to drive). Pick the one with the highest MPG so you get closer to the stickered MPG.

Guest 90th.degree

While the CR-V isn't bad, I find the design a bit on the boring side. I'd rather have a bit of fun in a car rather than it being just an appliance, so my vote goes to the CX-5.

sorry here's a link, i always find it useful to read through "edmunds reviewers". not the pro review, but customer reviews who actually bought.. guess look at both car reader reviews.. here's the link for the crv reviews..

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2012/consumer-reviews.html

just too note too crv sales up 35.3%.. i think it's year to year comparison, while overall honda sales dropped..

Guest tian`tian

Wow thanks for all the replies!

I have to test drive the CR-V again just so I can compare the way they handle, noise, heaviness, etc. It was the first car that I test drove so I don't remember it too clearly.

The CX-5 definitely was pretty fun to drive. The only thing holding me back on that one is that in order to get bluetooth and back up camera I would have to upgrade to the 2nd trim level while these things are standard on the CR-V. Cost wise it makes more sense to go with CR-V.

I have been on edmunds and read some of the reviews. Mostly all positive. Been hoping for more reviews on the CX-5 since it's so new, but maybe there just aren't enough out there.

With gas prices on the rise, I'm placing more weight on the MPG which would put CX-5 above CR-V. Although I doubt CX-5 gets the mileage it boasts as well. It says it gets the best gas mileage of any SUV though.

dang it.. i change my mind... i haven't had much experience with mazda... if i saw a honda accord/civic,  i could likely tell you the exact years it was made.. seems like the cx-5's drive is alot more sporty and fun even at 165 hp.. i saw photo in silver.. pretty cool, looks like a rav/bmw merger.. i still like the interior of the crv from photos better, but outside styling goes to mazda.. so.. silver or white(so the lines are more visible) debadged cx-5.. :D..

Guest Moonset

dang it.. i change my mind... i haven't had much experience with mazda... if i saw a honda accord/civic,  i could likely tell you the exact years it was made.. seems like the cx-5's drive is alot more sporty and fun even at 165 hp.. i saw photo in silver.. pretty cool, looks like a rav/bmw merger.. i still like the interior of the crv from photos better, but outside styling goes to mazda.. so.. silver or white(so the lines are more visible) debadged cx-5.. :D..

I just booked an Mazda CX-5 after researching for a month  . CR-V and CX-5 are the ones i short listed and i choose CX-5 . Till a month ago , CR-V was on the top list but after doing 3 test drives of CX-5 ( all together 60 miles around 20 miles in city signal traffic , 30 on highway and 10 on terrain road ) and researching the new skyactive technolgoy am convinced tht CX-5 is a better choice for me . These are my observations and i know there are lot of die hard fans of CR-V . At the end of the day it depends on what you want from your car . I had the same concerns like everyone else had about CX-5 . Am in early 30's so i prefer & recommend CX-5 for all those young people , at the least.  Below is my reasoning to make the decision

1. CX-5 engine -

New technology - The 2.0 engine is actually first introduced in Mazda3 and has been a great success . So the engine as such is not new . so this is not a concern for me.

The overall combination of chasis + engine + all body structure is new combination . The body is made of high tensile steel ( see cx-5 brocher ) first of the kind . Going forward this is going to be the standard for most of the cars across manufactures ( my belief )

Though HP & tourque are slighly less , but it delivers high range of that HP & TQ at low rpm compared to CR-V . When you drive observe the RPM for each of them . The CR-V goes up to 4500 - 5500 but CX-5 stays within 3500 - 4000 . Am ok with the power . On a normal traffic road i didn't' see a big difference .

CX-5 is extremmly good on highway at 60 to 75 mph . Very less to little road noise and i really feel that am driving a sports car and hardly felt am driving 2.0 engine . The curves and exits are very good on CX-5 . The CR-V , on three of the exits , taking the exit slowing from 70 mph , i almost felt that am going to fall out of vehicle . Also it , CR-V , has high road noise and i didn't get a feeling that am driving a cuv. However nice the interior with leather i didn't feel i was driving a CUV . The ride is similar to what you feel when you drive a Hyundai ( i test drove sonata as well )

The seats in CX-5 has more cushion than the CR-V ( this is one of the reasons for the drive comfort in CX-5 ) .  But one concern i had with seats that the leg support ( projection on the sides ) were troubling me . These are sports car model seats with higher leg rest support compared to most other cars so that on turns we get support front these projections . Infact all recent year Mazda cars have this ( i researched later ). Two of my friends own  mazda 3 and they told they don't have any problem with those projections . Nevertheless , i switched to leather ( grand touring ) since leather seats were comfortable to me . Guess the leather had the projections tightly covered .

The combination of new chasis , suspension gives CX-5 better control of the road . One reason being , the body is high tensile i.e less weight but more strength . So in CX-5 , majority of the weight of the vehicle is below our seating unlike CR-v . This is another reason for better drive comfort at highways & turns .

For me  & my wife , the interiors are more appealing in CX-5 than CR-V though CR-V seems to some nice little features . The one i liked in CR-V most is the slight reclining possibility of rear seats. Majority of the time we sit in front seats so this was not a major drawback for me in CX-5 . Again better cushion in CX-5 as well in rear seats.

I really love the blind spot alarm in CX-5 . And read a lot that CR-V body design has high blind spot . To mitigate this in CR-V they have extended the mirrors . My wife didn't like the CR-V exterior esp. in 2012 the projection on the back . Honda did that as well to improve blind spot . This also gives a +ve that Mazda didn't want to compromise on technology and roll out something with bandages like Honda did .

Throughout my drive test on CR-V , i felt , when am i going to get off the car . Am not exaggerating this , i truly felt this . To check if that was a wrong perception or a true feeling , i spoke with 3 friends who own CR-V and drove . All of them said - " Ya CRV is good . It has lot of space , good resale value but you  don't enjoy the ride . The mileage won't come as listed . "  Infact one of them actually rents car for his long trips because he hates the road noise ( he owns a 2009 cr-v )

Last observation , i studied the brochers in detail for both . In CX-5 brochore , they only talk about the new technology and how it helps . Whereas in CR-V , 90% of each page they have pictures of some stuff and only 10% of the space they have used to tell about the car because they , honda , don't have much to talk about the technology & car itself.  Observe it and you may feel the same .

Mazda is going to base all their next cars on Syactive . This is a plus . No company will tell this openly if they are not confident about their technology.

The only thing i have to wait to check how much mpg CX-5 will give . But am confident that it will not disappoint .

I strongly feel that CX-5 will gain market share from CR-V by year end . Lot of people are liking CX-5 but they are waiting to see it fares .

My recommendation to those who are buying CR-V - wait till end of the year . If CX-5 doesn't fare well then buy CR-V otherwise you may repent your decision .

Hope this helps.

Thanks .

Guest tian`tian

Ended up buying the Mazda CX-5. :)

Pretty happy with it overall so far. Will report back with the mileage after a fill up of the tank.

Guest .EpicLifeStyle

congrats on the mazda.

i respect the comparisons made in this thread, but keep in mind that the CR-V and the CX-5 can't really be compared.

the CR-V is built on a SUV platform while the CX-5 is a crossover on a car platform, of course it will handle better than a CR-V.

just like a Rogue will outperform a Rav4 or CR-V.

Anyways, im sure your buying motive was more along the lines of appearance and performance rather than reliability/resale value.

and there's completely nothing wrong with that, I would have made the same decision.

Guest tian`tian

Pics please!

Congrats on the Mazda. I saw a few of the new CR-V's and boy... they look funky.

haha yeah my mom said the same thing. the butt looks funny for the 2012 one. sticks out.

i'll get pics somewhat soon! i haven't been driving it much, was in the city for a rotation and didn't want to bring the new car there where it would probably collect some nice dings. :P

congrats on the mazda.

i respect the comparisons made in this thread, but keep in mind that the CR-V and the CX-5 can't really be compared.

the CR-V is built on a SUV platform while the CX-5 is a crossover on a car platform, of course it will handle better than a CR-V.

just like a Rogue will outperform a Rav4 or CR-V.

Anyways, im sure your buying motive was more along the lines of appearance and performance rather than reliability/resale value.

and there's completely nothing wrong with that, I would have made the same decision.

I did purchase more on appearance and performance. But resale hasn't really been big in my mind to begin with. I don't plan on getting rid of this car actually. It's great for moving (which I'll be doing a bunch of over the next 4+ years) and it should be great in the future to transport kids (when it comes to that).

In terms of reliability, didn't Mazda outscore Honda in the most recent Consumer's Report? And they've actually been pretty continual in climbing that scale over the past couple years whereas Honda has not shown the same progression. I've also heard plenty of accounts from both Honda and Mazda owners as to how reliable their cars are, so I didn't really think one was hugely more reliable over the other.

Guest .EpicLifeStyle

mazda has always ranked amongst the lowest in dependability (according to jd power) and that hasn't changed for a long time.

needless to say, honda doesnt rank very high up there either.

and with going with mazda, you sacrificed a lot of mpg. but everyone has their own dominate buying motives.    :)

as long as you're happy, that's all that really matters, no?

• 3 months later...

i gotta say, both good choices. just test drive both of them. i sat in the cx-5, it was quite nice. CR-v's have always been nice, but i havent sat in a new one.

i test drove the mazda 3 a few years ago.  they ran a credit check on me.  quirk mazda in quincy, MA.  i like mazda 3 but ended up with a honda civic 2007 used red one... from boch honda where... route 1 on the automile in norwood, MA.  do NOT SPEED on the automile.

Archived