Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

autuymnrainautuymnrain I <3 USNT Soccer Posts: 3,296Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited May 2012 in entertainment
an epic series you don't want to miss!

Avatar-The-Legend-Of-Korra-1.jpg

The series premiered on Nickelodeon on April 14, 2012, and has been slated for 26 episodes.

New episodes air every Saturday at 11:00 am Pacific Time USA.

After the conclusion of The War, Aang and Zuko brought people from the four nations together and founded the United Republic, creating Republic City a large "metropolis powered by steam punk-type technology" such as cars and motorcycles. Aang and Katara had three children, the youngest of which is Tenzin, an airbender. Meanwhile, Toph Beifong traveled extensively to teach metalbending. After Aang's death, the next Avatar, Korra, was born in the Southern Water Tribe.

At the present time, seventy years after the end of the War, Korra is a rebellious seventeen year-old girl. As the Avatar, she has already mastered waterbending, earthbending, and firebending. At the beginning of the series, Korra travels to Republic  City and starts her airbending training with Tenzin. Tenzin himself is married to Pema He has two daughters, Jinora,  a "bookworm", and Ikki, a "motor-mouth", while Meelo, his youngest child, is currently his only son. Pema is currently pregnant with the couple's fourth child.

However, Republic  City is not what Korra imagined it to be. Anti-benders called “Equalists”, who oppose the arts of bending, utilize techniques such as chi blocking to further their goals of revolution, led by Amon. Korra must fight rampant crime and the anti-bender revolt, assisted by two brothers, Mako, a firebender, and Bolin, an earthbender. She is also joined by her animal guide, Naga, and the metalbending police force of Republic  City, who are led by Toph’s daughter, Lin Beifong

Source: http://avatar.wikia....Legend_of_Korra

Characters:

character_large_332x363_korra.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.91
Korra / Avatar
Korra couldn't have less in common with Aang, the previous Avatar. A 17-year-old girl from the Southern Water Tribe, she is as hot-headed and  eager as she is talented. When she runs away to Republic City, her stubbornness and impatience get in the way of her bending studies, but  it is clear from the start that she is destined for greatness. Korra discovers many new things in Republic City - some amazing and some terrifying. Whether its honing her bending skills in the Pro-bending  Arena, facing off with street thugs or facing an anti-bending rebellion, Korra learns that being the Avatar comes with many dangers and  responsibilities. As if being a teenager wasn't hard enough on its own!

character_large_332x363_mako.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.91
Mako / Firebender
A Firebender with a serious side, the handsome and brooding Mako has always taken care of his little brother, Bolin. Growing up on the streets has given him a hard edge, but Mako loves his brother and will do anything to protect them both. Intensely focused on getting their team through the Pro-bending tournament and winning the jackpot, Mako's tightly controlled world gets a little more chaotic when Korra enters the picture.

character_large_332x363_bolin.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.91
Bolin / Earthbender
No matter how intense things get around Republic City (and they do get  intense), Bolin is always good for a laugh. Mako's younger brother and  Pro-bending teammate, Bolin tends to be more laidback and likes to have a  good time. Despite their tough childhood, Bolin always has a smile on his face and a lady on his arm. In fact, it was Bolin who was  responsible for introducing Mako to Korra. But Bolin is no clown. When the time comes to buckle down and bend some earth, this tough contender can handle his business.

character_large_332x363_tenzin.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.91
Tenzin / Airbender
Tenzin and his wife Pema raise their two daughters, Jinora and Ikki, and son Meelo, on Air Temple Island. As Avatar Aang's son and an Airbender, Tenzin carries a great responsibility on his shoulders to continue the  dream of his father to protect not only the next Avatar, but also Republic City. Generally very serious and calm, Tenzin's serene life on Air Temple Island is rocked when the impetuous Korra moves into his home to continue her airbending training. As Korra's teacher, Tenzin finds his patience tested time and again but he also realizes that while she  has a lot to learn from him, he also has something to learn from her.

character_large_332x363_lin_bei_fong.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.91
Chief Lin Beifong
Her mother, Toph, taught Avatar Aang how to earthbend, but Chief Lin Beifong doesn't feel any special affection for the new Avatar. In fact, this metal and earthbending police chief sees Korra's arrival as the biggest threat Republic City has faced in recent times. Korra's reckless ways are constantly leaving Lin Beifong's streets in ruin, and this chief is determined to push the Avatar out of her city.

character_large_332x363_amon.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.91
Amon
Little is known about the mysterious leader of the anti-bending revolution. He wears a mask to conceal his face. He is a nimble, stealthy fighter who shows no fear even against the highest-level bender. His ultimate goal  is to rid the world of bending.

Source: http://www.nick.com/...a?navid=showNav

~

I do apologize if there has already been a thread created for the series, because I couldn't find it in the listings. Please do let me know otherwise if that's the case, and I can tell a moderator to close this. :)

~

itrayya

Replies

• itrayyaitrayya latchkey princess. California.Posts: 7,221Friend of Soompi

IDOL

i haven't really kept up or watched the previous series, but i think my siblings and nephew would love it.
    the voice of the avatar kid was really annoying to me.

if i had to pick, i'd be an air bender.
  • courtleeecourtleee Posts: 492Member

IDOL

A few questions I had after ep. 1 and 2--
    *How are Mako and Bolin brothers...if they both bend different elements (maybe their parents were a earthbender and firebender?)
    *WHO IS THE FATHER OF TOPH'S CHILD?
    *What happened to Zuko's mom ;_;

I really enjoy the new soundtrack...so beautiful (minus the weird bagpipes thing that comes up every now and then).  Korra will need to grow on me, because as of now, I'm not really liking her that much LOL.

There's also a lot of underlying *serious* social themes in this show, haha.  The whole benders/non-benders "conflict" that will inevitably arise, the corruption of Republic City, etc.  Haha.
  • autuymnrainautuymnrain I <3 USNT Soccer Posts: 3,296Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited March 2012
    I absolutely loveeee the music score thus far! :) Particularly this one: Main Theme. It's really epic with all the instrumentals, well, I usually get goosebumps listening to the Avatar OST in general.

To answer your questions, hellososhi, I believe someone at Comic Con had said something about once the Republic was built, there were more inter-bender (if that's even a term) couples, so people have said that Mako was inspired of course by Zuko and Bolin of Toph.

Yea, I was waiting to hear more about Zuko's mom too, which I am sure will be revealed throughout the series. I am so excited :w00t:

• bluebreadsbluebreads Posts: 96Member

ROOKIE

hellososhi wrote on 29 March 2012 - 02:27 AM:

A few questions I had after ep. 1 and 2--
    *How are Mako and Bolin brothers...if they both bend different elements (maybe their parents were a earthbender and firebender?)
    *WHO IS THE FATHER OF TOPH'S CHILD?
    *What happened to Zuko's mom ;_;

I really enjoy the new soundtrack...so beautiful (minus the weird bagpipes thing that comes up every now and then).  Korra will need to grow on me, because as of now, I'm not really liking her that much LOL.

There's also a lot of underlying *serious* social themes in this show, haha.  The whole benders/non-benders "conflict" that will inevitably arise, the corruption of Republic City, etc.  Haha.

*Mako and Bolin have interbender parents (possibly their mom was a firebender and their dad was an earthbender). Kinda like how Aang is an airbender and Katara is a waterbender and of their three children only Tenzin is an airbender, Kya is a waterbender, and Bumi is a nonbender. Also in case you're wondering, Aang's special avatar status isn't genetic so it's not possible for him to pass on the other elements.

*That's never been revealed to us. LoK might delve into that but personally I don't think it will given that it's only 26 episodes total (for both seasons). Korra and her adventures will be the main focus of the show rather than nostalgic flashbacks.

*Again this is something the creators have held off telling us and I kinda don't think they will- even with LoK. There is the comic book series called "The Promise" which is supposed to be the bridge between Atla and Lok and supposedly Ursa's story will be tied up there...the comic book series is considered "official" as deemed by Nickolodeon but since the original creators didn't write the series, I'm personally gonna ignore the comics.

IDOL

I really do hope they'll let us know what happened to Zuko's mother though, because it was kinda a tease for them to have Jinora ask Katara about Zuko's mother. Then only to have her begin to say something about it and be cut off. :( Maybe they will reveal it throughout the series like how they revealed certain key moments of the past in ATLA.

IDOL

edited April 2012
    I am not sure if this is an international erlease, but Itunes has just posted the season premiere, which are the first two episodes for free download on their site at: http://itunes.apple.....-1/id511441792

Supposedly all that's needed is your account ID.

• Emerald SnowEmerald Snow Newbie Clay LandPosts: 1,950Member
    I'm loving it so far. It's a good series by itself though nods to the first one is pretty nice of course.

And never thought I'd say this about an animation, but Mako is hoooootttt. *drools*
    *Insert some wise words here*

IDOL

edited April 2012

IDOL

• UponARoseUponARose Posts: 60Member
    I've watched the first two eps and its really interesting and different from avatar: the last airbender. Maybe I'm rushing it, but i think the legend of Korra won't be as good as the last airbender. :S Just my opinion.
    The Way of Life is like a river
    You just have to keep moving forward
    Whether crash into rocks or other debris
    After all
    The course of true love never did run smooth 
    ---
    heartu.jpg

IDOL

edited April 2012
    It's great to see you here, UponARose! (I was beginning to think I'm talking to myself in this forum:sweatingbullets:) Yea, I don't want to make any judgement since the series is still barely starting, given that it will be shorter than A:TLA. But it's good that the story is somewhat completely different.I do like the fact that Korra has already mastered all three elements. I know lots of people aren't too thrilled with that, given Aang had to learn the other three. But even though Korra may know those elements, she has yet to master and greatly lacks the knowledge of the spirit side. Which I think is good in that it'll be just as challenging for her to learn on top of airbending. I'm super excited and can't wait till Saturdays. :)

Anyways, I wanted to share one of my favorite moments from the second episode!
    :lol: (source: http://www.avatarspirit.net/index.php)

1249eh.jpg

• Emerald SnowEmerald Snow Newbie Clay LandPosts: 1,950Member
    Well I do think it makes a lot of sense for Korra to already know the 3 bendings. We've already seen Aang go through training for all 3 in the first season, so I'm sure most people wouldn't wanna see that again. Aang was already an airbending master, so it'll be interesting to see Korra having to go through that.

At first I thought Korra was rather unlikeable, being so hot-headed and all. I have grown to like her a lot more now...she definitely has a strong sense of justice, and I like how she won't stand being pushed around. I also love her sense of humor...slightly sarcastic, but still funny.

With that being said, the third episode definitely had a bunch of Makkora moments, though the most mindblowing part was about Amon. Was it really permanent, what he could do, or is it just temporary and he's just creating an illusion to get his point across?
    *Insert some wise words here*

IDOL

AHH! I'm so glad to see you come back here, Emerald Snow! I was beginning to feel like I was talking to myself...:lol: But yes, I totally agree with you, I don't think we'd want a repeat of Korra having to go through the journey of learning how to bend all the elements. However, I do wish the series showed her bending more water as well, and not just fire. I feel like she uses fire the most, and then earth when she's trying to create some sort of knock-out blow, like how she earthbended Jinora and Ikkii away, or that Equalist that was electrocuting Mako and Bolin.

So onto discussing Amon... I feel as if there's so many possibilities. Maybe he actually does think what he can do is permanent, but perhaps it takes some sort of enlightened teaching/knowledge imparted from the spirit word to undo the damage? In the preview for next week's episode, she supposedly challenges Amon out to fight...and I want to say of course Amon will probably get the upperhand...but I wonder if Korra will actually go into Avatar State for the first time because that's when she's probably in the most danger, and it'll be dire for her, hence Avatar State. Just lots of speculations.

Aside from majorly shipping Makorra, I really love the bromance between Mako and Brolin. When they were searching for Bolin, I really felt Mako's despair/hopelessness to want to go on searching (kudos to the voice actor as well as the animators). Finally when Bolin almost gets taken by an Equalist when Korra disrupts the rally with the steam fog, Mako flips over the Equalist and adorable Bolin is this:

lok__bolin_is_a_mako_fan_by_sasuke12234-d4x8yaj.png

• ubjustinubjustin Posts: 149Member
    oops... i just made a thread in the anime section.

this show is freaking awesome.

love how Korra is a such a beast from the beginning of the show.
  • d a y.b r e a kd a y.b r e a k A T LPosts: 5,014Member

IDOL

autuymnrain wrote on 24 April 2012 - 04:07 AM:

but I wonder if Korra will actually go into Avatar State for the first time because that's when she's probably in the most danger, and it'll be dire for her, hence Avatar State. Just lots of speculations.

I think that this is personally what I'm looking forward to the most. I remember that Aang lost a lot of his control whenever he entered the avatar state, and seeing how Korra is such a hot headed character I'm so curious to see how easily it'll be for her to enter the state and how there other characters will react to it. I'm sure Tenzin has to have some sort of survival guide. And besides that, I wonder what parts of Korra will glow, because Aang's glowing arrows were awesome. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE EPISODES SO PUMPED!

IDOL

edited April 2012
    Welcome to the thread ubjustin and d a y.b r e a k!

Yea, I totally can't wait to see the flashbacks and Korra going into Avatar State--considering that she's never been able to connect to the spiritual world, so she's pretty out of touch! She also has huge shoes to fill in, given her expectations for herself and from others are so high. She was born into the role where she's going to have to shoulder all the responsibility of being the Avatar, simply because people look to her for hope and justice. Whereas with Aang, he was given the chance to rise to the occasion because by the time he was unfrozen, humanity had already lost hope in the Avatar. Anyways, it'll be exciting to see this Saturday.

I'd like to share some spoilers that have been floating around for the new episode this week, so please only click at your discretion!

Spoiler:

• suju_loveesuju_lovee Canadia Posts: 1,460Member

IDOL

^Haha! I was stalking the Avatar LoK tag on tumblr last night and man oh man...

Them shippers are crazy :crazy: Although Makkora is cute, Masami (?) just seem to go so well together :x
    One thing that annoys me is that mostly everyone seem to be focusing on Makkora, and wanting to see more of them together. What about the actual story ?!?!

I'm dying to know who Amon really is what his deal is lol.

Erm, spoiler alert so tread carefully!

I already watched episode 4 because it was leaked online, and I really liked it! Even though I like Korra's bad-assery, it was nice to see the more frightened/emotional side of her. It was quite touching at the end with her and Tenzin.

And with Asami... I mean, she seems nice and all but something just doesn't sit well for me with that girl.

Ok, that's all. :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes!
    Nyahahahahhhrearrrrr

IDOL

edited April 2012
    YAY, thank you for coming in to join the discussion, suju_lovee.

Okay, since we're talking spoilers, I'll do a warning too. Please only view at your own discretion.

Spoiler:

And again, I am just so excited for the series. I honestly can't wait until Korra goes into Avatar state as well!

• miss.watermelonmiss.watermelon Posts: 7Member
    tumblr_m37cbqSbSd1r55kxc.gif

UGH. THE FEELINGS THIS SHOW GIVES ME. *brb tearbending*

but seriously guys, this show is amazing. and thought i'd join this discussion. yup. 
    makorra ftw

IDOL

edited April 2012
    yay, please do join in the discussion, miss.watermelon! Yes, this show does indeed make me tearbend a lot too! hahaha I got all teary-eyed at the end of the episode when Korra admitted her fears to Tenzin. Speaking of that, I absolutely love how vulnerable and human that has made Korra, because it'll help her grow to her fullest potential as Korra and as Avatar Korra. She was able to let her guard down and "broke down" to the first person, Tenzin. Awww :tears: On another note, I love how caring and concerned, Tenzin is for Korra. They both have that tight knitted relationship that reminds me so much of Zuko and his Uncle Iroh in the prequel as I've said before. But it's really touching, and I am so glad Tenzin is like that with Korra. :wub:

Speaking of the shipping...ever since Asami made her appearance, even before the actual episodes from a leak, tumblr has exploded with shipping wars. HAHAHAHA I think Asami's character is gorgeous and superrrrrrrrr nice...but there is something off about it for me too. The first being when she and Mako are at the restaurant on their date, Mako talks about how his team might not get to enter the tournament, and Asami reaches out and puts her hand over his. That was just....wow so fasttttttt, lady! :lol: Then at the gala dinner when Korra got tricked by the sleazy politician to join the task force, everyone's expression was like D: versus Asami's. Lastly, during the date between Asami and Mako in the car, Asami said she lost her mother when she was really young as well, and Mako reaches out to cover her hands to comfort her, there was something off about Asami's expression there for me...maybe I'm reading too much into it.:lol: But it'll be great to see Asami's character develop.

GAHHH, I am so excited to see the pro bending tournament for next week.:w00t: Once a week for only 30 minutes with commercials is notttttttt enough. But all we can do is patiently wait.:vicx: Anyways, I want to mention two things from one of the trailers here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFFKXSiUX30&feature=plcp

1. I love the music bit at 0:20, and I hope they'll release that in the soundtrack too?

2. I wonder if at mark, 0:46, will take place in next week's episode.

omod.jpg

If so, WHOAAA. It's Lin, and looks like she's pulling Korra to safety!!! :] I can't wait to see it! D: