Writer:
Producer:
Cinematographer:
Release Date: 2012
Runtime:
Distributor: Lotte Entertainment
Language: Korean

Plot

Before Grand Prince Chungnyeong becomes King Sejong the Great, he places a slave, who looks like him, in his throne and ventures outside of the palace walls. There Grand Prince Chungnyeong experiences the life of common people and society at large.

Notes

Filming began on March 2, 2012.

Cast

Joo Ji-Hoon - Grand Prince Chungnyeong / Slave Deok-Chil
Kim Su-Ro - Warrior Hwang-Goo
Baek Yun-Shik - Hwang Hee
Lim Won-Hie - Hae-Koo
Byun Hee-Bong - Shin Ik-Yeok
Park Yeong-Gyu - King Taejong
Lee Ha-Nui - Soo-Yeon
Lim Hyung-Joon - Jang Young-Sil
Baek Do-Bin - Princ Yangnyeong
Kim So-Hyun - Sol-Bi

• 1 month later...
Guest lualm

Joo Ji Hoon Comes Back as King Sejong in "I Am the King"

by: hazelnutthursdays

Soompi News Section

Actor Joo Ji Hoon, recently discharged from the military will come back to the entertainment scene with a new film. Local news agencies reported that the actor is cast as the lead in the historical film “I Am the King” (not to be confused with the upcoming drama "The King"). The announcement was made through a statement from Joo Ji Hoon’s agency, Key East Entertainment.

Although he only came back to civilian life in November, “I Am the King” is not his first comeback project. He was cast in the musical adaptation of “Doctor Zhivago” but he had to withdraw from the production due to damaged vocal chords.

In “I Am the King,” Joo Ji Hoon will play the historical figure King Sejong of the Chosun era. It tells the story of how the king experienced a commoner’s life by exchanging identities with a beggar. The film is under the helm of director Jang Kyu Sung. Shooting is expected to begin at the end of February.

Joo Ji Hoon's "I Am The King" Releases First Stills

by: jnkm

Soompi News Section

Actor Joo Ji Hoon's first come back movie in three years, "I Am The King" has revealed its first still cuts.

This film's distributor, Lotte Entertainment, made a statement on March 28 saying, "Filming for 'I Am The King" first started on February 2. Each member of the cast strongly displayed their individual charms. We are planning to release the film later in the year."

"I Am The King" is a prince-and-the-pauper type of story where the crown prince and a servant switch places. In the movie, Joo Ji Hoon plays a cowardly and weak crown prince.

The rest of the cast includes Baek Yoon Shik, Kim Soo Ro, Lim Won Hee, Byun Hee Bong, Park Young Kyu, Lim Hyung Joon, Baek Do Bin, Kim So Hyun and Lee Ha Nui.

a14.jpg

a17.jpg

a16.jpg

a18.jpg

a19.jpg

credit as labeled

Joo Ji Hoon to Finally Come Back with ‘I Am the King’

by: CJ E&M enewsWorld Kim, JiYeon

Joo Ji Hoon has been cast in the film I Am the King.

Chairman Shin Je Kwang of Joo Ji Hoon’s agency Key East told enews on January 19 that “Joo Ji Hoon confirmed on the night of January 18 that he would be appearing in the film I Am the King.”

Chairman Shin said, “Joo Ji Hoon withdrew from the musical due to problems with his health, and he was considering what to choose as his comeback piece while he was receiving treatment as an outpatient. Out of the many pieces he had been considering from before his release from the military, he decided that I Am the King would give him sufficient opportunity to show how much Joo Ji Hoon worked hard.”

And so, Joo will finally start off on a new phase of his career when filming of I Am the King starts near the end of February.

Chairman Shin added, “The reason why he rushed to confirm his comeback piece even though he hasn’t completely recovered his health is to lessen his fans’ concern. Joo Ji Hoon is currently working hard to get well soon and emerge healthy again.”

I Am a King is set in the Joseon period, and will be directed by Jang Gyu Sung, of Teacher, Mr. Kim and Small Town Rivals. It tells of how King Sejong the Great met new people and experienced what ordinary society is like before he became king by trading identities with a beggar.

Joo will be working his charms to their fullest with his role, swinging back and forth between King Sejong and a beggar.

Joo was cast for the musical Doctor Zhivago after his release, but withdrew from the musical due to health problems.

Some more photos from I Am King

credit as labeled/ Dcju/ moonlight drop

a20.jpg

a3-8.jpg

a7-1.jpg

More here:

a5-4.jpg

a6-1.jpg

a8-1.jpg

a9-1.jpg

a-12.jpg

a1-9.jpg

a11-1.jpg

a12-1.jpg

a2-11.jpg

a4-7.jpg

Guest Tarits

t3n5h1_chu_k015h173 - thank  you for creating this thread. And thanks Lualm for informing that this thread has been made! I expect all hunnies to come over, stop by and show support for the movie of the man we all love! 

• 1 month later...
Guest lualm

I Am King BTS and Presscon today

credit to uploaders 

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a58_6eO2J7k

Guest rintintintin

Whoa! I can't wait for this one! :) A lot of JJH fans are very excited on his new movie! And to see his king outfit. :D

Finally I can see him again! I miss JJH so much.. :(( And this role of him as a crown prince, brings back old memories of his Goong days lol
Can't wait to watch it, fighting JJH! *but there's also an upcoming movie with the same prince-and-the-pauper plot, right? I'm slightly worried of how the audiences will react..

Guest vini_addicted_to_ji hoon

I'm sooooo happy to see him again...finally our prince is back! \^o^/

Guest Tarits

I am so happy to read the excitement of Jihun's fans thru this thread.  Well, there are movies of similar genre but Jihun said he is not burdened by it. LBH is senior to him so we Jihun fans need not worry. His movie will do well, his acting will be great and he will continue to receive love and support from us, his fans and from his showbiz friends. What I am excited about is the movie premiere. If I will someone there.  Credit this photo to F4 mom.

252620_422373041128042_221151162_n.jpg

Guest lualm

reminds me of Gung Wedding Ceremony!

credit as labeled

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

credit as labeled

Jihoon guested on Kim Jae Wook's radio program

A vid by Gung7

Joo Ji-hoon compared with Lee Byeong-heon?

credit hancinema.net

Actor Joo Ji-hoon said he didn't care about being compared with fellow actor Lee Byeong-Heon. The two actors are being focused on for their first attempts at a historical since their debut.

At the press release conference of the movie "I Am a KingJoo Ji-hoon was asked how he felt about being compared with Lee Byeong-Heon at their first attempts at historicals and he replied, "The genre between us is very different so there's no pressure".

Joo Ji-hoon acts out the role of a prince who lacks something and an ignorant but loyal slave at the same time in "I Am a King".

Lee Byeong-Heon takes on the role of Gwanghae-gun and a low-class man who pretends to be the king in the movie "Masquerade".

Joo Ji-hoon said, "We have very different genres so it's alright. I don't feel pressured at all but I am trying to work harder in the comedy I have to display for my role this time".

"In other cases when a single person plays two roles, one part is more important than the other but in our case, both the characters we are expressing have the same amount of importance so we are really busy".

"I Am a King" is about Choong-nyeong (Joo Ji-hoon) who leaves the palace because he doesn't want to become king and becomes a slave who looks just like him, experiencing things he's never done before. To be released in the summer.

http://www.hancinema.net/joo-ji-hoon-compared-with-lee-byeong-heon--43385.html

Guest lualm

OMG, JIHUN IS SO FUNNY IN THIS FILM! WAAAAH I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH IT! 
check out the clips for some glimpses of what the movie is! 

YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS ONE! HE IS SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY! 
credit Gung7

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lualm

id="watch-headline-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 1.8333em; background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235); height: 1.1363em; max-height: 1.1363em; line-height: 1.1363em; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); overflow: hidden; font-family: arial, sans-serif; text-align: left; "Ju Ji-hun, on the filming set of the movie, 'I am a King!' [showbiz Korea]

Archived