Dumbest thing you've done to your car and now regret?

Guest YoshiWorld2

Guest YoshiWorld2

I'm kind of embarrassed to share this to all you car enthusiast haha.

At one point, when I was really into my car. I decided to purchase an aftermarket rear spoiler w/ LED light from guess where? China. Well, I hired a shop to help me install it and notice it came with 3M black double-sided tape. The guy asked if I wanted to use that or drill a hole and screw it on there. I hesitated because I don't like the thought of drilling a hole into my car and asked him if double-sided tape is reliable. His response was that their fine and has done it before.

Fast forward 2 years on a very windy day. I came back to my car only to find the spoiler completely MISSING! The leftover wires somehow short circuited part of my car as well.

This really sucked. But in the end, all I can do was laugh it off... lesson learned. Oh, and half the LED light were out before this, so I wanted to remove it anyway lol.

Please share your dumb moments...

Guest kelvin6

Funny because double stick tape is used on some OEM spoilers (but they have a bracket to wrap around the edge of the trunk so that it stays secured).

Probably the dumbest thing i've ever done to my car was overfill the transmission fluid. Apparently on a aging transmission that had solenoid issues this was the last straw. The transmission didn't die, but it was grinding loudly and the torque converter wouldn't disengage properly (due to foaming of the fluid and lack of proper lubrication). In the end, I ended up buying a new transmission for $2600...

Guest i<3ramen

changed my oil and made quick trip to the store down the street. noticed some smoke from under my hood and popped the hood saw i forgot to put back the filler cap and the entire underside of my hood was covered in oil...

Personally, the dumbest thing I've done and regret... is trade my car.

I was fed up with my Integra. It was just one thing after another. It first started with the snow incident that tore up my front bumper and fog lights. Then the driver tie rod busted, then it began to smoke, and then ignition wouldn't crank over and when that was fixed; 10 seconds into start up, the distributor offed itself.

That's when I had had enough. All the parts I had sought out to rebuild my car I sold. The fenders, the new lights, engine, etc. But really, I had just had a fit over everything and acted rashly. When I finally came to senses, I had just sold everything I had for my car and that's when I called quits. I traded it for the car I have now and it just isn't the same. Perhaps, I had fallen in love with my Integra thusI can't bring myself to love my RX7.

Guest Laxntiga

^ Which Rx7? FC? FD?

pics?!

The dumbest thing I did for my car, was my car before this (I learn from my mistakes! lolol), I didn't get top hats (shock mounts) for the Miata. I tried using a few different combo's of struts + springs and ended up destroying a set of shocks (I bought them used for dirt dirt cheap, meh). It was a lot of work and "emotional stress" from not having my car lol.

After I set it up correctly and everything, I realized I should have went coil-overs for the right height adjustment. I couldn't stand bottoming out + the rubbing, so I sold it (there were a few other things going wrong too, but meh).

Overall, it's a dumb thing to sell the car you put so much money and effort into. I feel really stupid right now, since gas is like $4 /gallon. I could really use that Miata today. The STi gets like 18-20 mpg. Miata got 25 MPG minimum, redlining everywhere I went, plus it had a tiny tank and takes regular.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't mess with the ride height unless you know what you are doing, really sure.

2. Building a "track" car and end up using it for street use = makes you want another car (for DD)

3. Don't sell a car you already dumped money into. Use it as a beater at the very least.

It's hard to not do #3 after you're tired of your car and want a different or another car. I'm almost done paying off the STi and I'm already looking at different cars *sigh

^ Which Rx7? FC? FD?

pics?!

The dumbest thing I did for my car, was my car before this (I learn from my mistakes! lolol), I didn't get top hats (shock mounts) for the Miata. I tried using a few different combo's of struts + springs and ended up destroying a set of shocks (I bought them used for dirt dirt cheap, meh). It was a lot of work and "emotional stress" from not having my car lol.

After I set it up correctly and everything, I realized I should have went coil-overs for the right height adjustment. I couldn't stand bottoming out + the rubbing, so I sold it (there were a few other things going wrong too, but meh).

Overall, it's a dumb thing to sell the car you put so much money and effort into. I feel really stupid right now, since gas is like $4 /gallon. I could really use that Miata today. The STi gets like 18-20 mpg. Miata got 25 MPG minimum, redlining everywhere I went, plus it had a tiny tank and takes regular.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't mess with the ride height unless you know what you are doing, really sure.

2. Building a "track" car and end up using it for street use = makes you want another car (for DD)

3. Don't sell a car you already dumped money into. Use it as a beater at the very least.

It's hard to not do #3 after you're tired of your car and want a different or another car. I'm almost done paying off the STi and I'm already looking at different cars *sigh

FC. As crazy as it sounds, FC has been my dream car since high school and sometimes I think it should have stayed that way. High expectations is really messing with me on this car. :P

341320_10150300357812161_705952160_8067772_1158625102_o.jpg

Here's what it looked like then and surprisingly now.

• 1 month later...
Guest Angel1430267648

LOL that is kind of a funny story.

Never happened to me, but I always thought it's stupid to leave a convertible parked with the top down. It makes me think someone is going spill stuff in it or do something to damage the interior or hotwire your car.

Guest kj-lee-

Hahaha thanks for sharing a great story.

Something that I regret is tuning up my car. I thought it's cool and sporty, so spent much money on changing its look.  However, when I need to sell my car , It wasn't worth that much compared to a car with genuine settings. On my new car, I haven't changed anything, YET. haha :)

Guest herovueboi

I LOLed because I probably did all those things you guys posted up to a certain extent. Especially fiending for another car the second your car is paid off, thats just like trying new drugs because the old drugs didn't give you the high they used to. Worse thing I ever did to a car and screwed me over was messing with wires. If you don't know what your doing or just "read something on the internet", it doesn't always turn out perfect like it did in the video/post/thread. I killed my dash on my Eagle talon and crossed a bunch of wires hooking up a system as well as killing my gauge cluster so I never knew how fast I was really going. Failed so hard.

Guest Mimiju

Buy another Miata! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest akp124

...I broke the driver's side window. Went to get it fixed. That windows was already messed up because it would not go up or down and was stuck. When I went to get it fixed, the person that fixed it shorted out the wiring that made all the windows go down. So now, instead of having just one window not work, I have 4 non working windows. Good thing my car has lukewarm ac. I hear its gonna get to 90+ degrees here. 

Archived