Those of you who USE to have oily skin

Guest jenandjeff

Guest jenandjeff
but not anymore
Did you use to have oily skin due to dryness? Once you started a skincare/moisturizing routine, how long was it until the over production of oil/sebum calmed down?

Guest Kskano713

Actually, I had oily skin AND acne. That was the WORST combination. But, when I started Accutane for my acne, my skin stopped getting so oily. Also, I used an exfoliator every other day to control the oil (I'm not sure if that actually worked, but it did for me!).

I used to have terrible oily skin and acne - tried a bunch of different tetracycline antibiotics for the acne, but nothing really helped until I got on birth control (for unrelated medical reasons) and the hormones helped regulate my skin so it doesn't get so oily and I'm not so acne-prone. Before I got on birth control, moisturizing my skin helped a little (I used Nivea PM at night) but the difference wasn't much - like going from blotting my face 5 times a day to 4 -___-;

Guest -forever-

I've always had oily skin. I don't really think it's possible to make oily skin go away? :o or maybe if they didn't have oily skin to begin with, but got it due to eating certain foods or using certain types of makeup or moisturizers?

I have Pretty bad acne prone oily skin, and what I do is at night I wear any moisturizer I want to, and in the morning i wash it off with my Mia. then I put on oil-free moisturizer and makeup and then my skin becomes less oily.- also i drink A lot of water, which helps a lot.

I don't think there is a way to get Rid of oily skin, but you can use certain skin care items to prevent your face from becoming oily throughout the day

Guest ♥Cinna♥

Did you use to have oily skin due to dryness? Once you started a skincare/moisturizing routine, how long was it until the over production of oil/sebum calmed down?

My skin used to be terribly oily but it calmed down some after I started to use mineral foundations. But I was still really harsh on my skin, thinking that if it's really oily then I should try to make it dry. Lately I've been using a water-based moisturizer and gentle foam cleaner. I started to notice a change in about 2 days? And it's also helped with my breakouts.

The funny thing is, I would have continued to be harsh on my skin if it weren't for my boyfriend. He was trying to find a v-day gift for me and asked one of the sales women working at the store for help. She suggested a few products, which I would have never ever used for my skin, and voila! So basically, the moisturizer and foam cleaner are thanks to my boyfriend.

Guest tinatran_

I think it took me 1-2 months before my skin stopped being oily? I only washed my face once every second day and when my face feels greasy while moisturizing every morning or after I shower.

Guest darkmist

I used to have oily skin but now I'm combination (slightly oily t-zone/normal everywhere else). The change I think stemmed from just growing up and having my hormones settle down. This natural transition took a long time - I hit puberty in my early teens and now I'm in my early 20s. I don't think any skin care product or regimen can stop you from being oily - at the best, it just controls the oil production. I never had any luck finding a totally mattifying moisturizer but I thought the Shiseido Pureness (blue) line worked really well with my sensitive oily acne-prone skin. It helped keep oil production down and while I wasn't matte (even with the mattifying moisturizer), shine was at a minimum. I think it took a couple months for me to start seeing results with this line (less acne, less oily skin). When you choose moisturizers, look for "hydrating" and don't just focus on "oil-free". All skin types need to be properly hydrated - while your skin's oiliness might not be solely due to dehydration, still take care to properly hydrate your skin.

Another thing you can try is the caveman routine which is just washing your face with plain lukewarm water and no cleansers (and maybe no toner or moisturizer? Don't quote me, I'm not sure). Supposedly this balances out your skin's ph levels and regulates oil excretion. How fast people see results really depends on their own body chemistry - some say they say results in a few days, some in a few weeks or months, some didn't see any results at all. I've only been washing my face with water in the mornings (at night I use a cleanser since I wear makeup) for the past 6 months and I think it has helped with oil control and I saw improvements within a week.

Guest duh123

Actually, I had oily skin AND acne. That was the WORST combination. But, when I started Accutane for my acne, my skin stopped getting so oily. Also, I used an exfoliator every other day to control the oil (I'm not sure if that actually worked, but it did for me!).

actually, it's worse to have dry skin and acne because most acne product dry out your skin. since you have oily skin, the drying side effects would only benefit you. for me, it would leave an insane amount of flakes on my face.

i watch this girl on youtube and for over a year, she has stated that she has oily skin. but once she changed her products around and stopped using conventional products and switched to completely natural products, she realized that she actually had dry skin. it actually makes sense because all the conventional products were stripping her skin of good oils and her skin overcompensates by producing even MORE oil. and it's a vicious cycle. it took her a few months for her skin to find its own balance again.

Guest Silversuna

The most important thing is to make sure you don't try to use all kinds of products on your face. Constantly changing them when they don't seem to be working will make your skin go crazy. You have to stick to one routine and keep at it for 2/3 months. THEN if that doesn't work. Change to something else.

If you insist on using products you should use those that are oil-free. Like Clinique moisturizer the gel one is for oily skin while the lotion is for dry skin. But constantly washing your face will cold water through out the day is really good for your skin.

For me though I use Clinique youth surge spf 15 which is a age decelerating moisturizer, but seeing as how that's $50 you might want to try something cheaper. But generally I use sunscreen and anti-wrinkle cream and it help make my skin smooth and pimple free. 8) Also use oil paper throughout the day (or simply wash your face) and rice paper oil paper is good for you.

Guest Saseumi

I had oily skin before my dermatologist placed me on a strong medication (isotretinoin) to clear my acne. This kills off the things that feed sebum production, resulting in generally drier skin both during - and in my case, after - the course of medication. I still have oily areas on my face but keeping it simple keeps that in check. I find that as soon as I start using more than just one moisturiser and one consistent face wash every few days (plain water daily otherwise) my skin gets irritated and the condition of it fluctuates. I think many of us turn to products that too often overcomplicate or irritate our bodies' natural functions and so I advise that whatever your skin's condition you really cut down your routine to the basics and let your skin show you what it needs. The only time I get particularly oily skin now is when I pile too much onto my face or dry it out horribly trying to overclean it. Oil may not be pretty but within reason it's normal and necessary and leaving a reasonable amount of it alone will allow your skin to keep functioning normally.

Guest jenandjeff

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I was just wondering since I have oily skin due to dryness and I just started a light moisturizing routine. Coming from years of refusing to add anything on my face because I would feel nasty immediately, I finally decided I should be more careful and so I did. The first day really sucked and as each day progresses I am starting to really like how it feels to be hydrated. I still get a decent amount of oil though so that is why I asked. Thanks for all the info!

Guest jenandjeff

i use to have oily skin what i did was not use face lotions and only use a toner [witch hazel] .

So did your skin change permanently? Or has it just been changing since you continue to use witch hazel

Guest tokiiox

I had an oily t-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) all throughout middle school, high school and beginning college. I remember using Neutrogena grapefruit face wash for acne control/prevention. It worked ok. My skin is normal now, but I don't think it's thanks to any product I used, just the balancing of hormones through growing up.

Guest 2partsvodka

try jojoba oil?

that is what i am using as a moisturizer and my oily skin has tone down a lot...also my acne as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that diet can affect the oil production of your skin. If you consume a lot of meat and dairy, the fats and what not in those foods push for more oil in your skin? Not too clear on the theory, but...yeah that's more or less the general idea. I've heard of some people becoming vegetarian and over time, seeing a dramatic decrease in the oil production of their skin.

Guest MeiHearts

a lot of my friends use to have "oily" skin but really they had dry skin. They were trying to make their face oily but it ended up making their skin even more oily because the oil was trying to compensate for the dry skin. So I would definitely try moisturizing more!

Guest monokroma

I have a very oily T-zone, but the rest of my face is normal. I also used to have severe acne. But things change after I control my diet (I eat less fried stuff and eat more fruits and vegs). I also drink more water (I used to live like a camel, only drank one glass of water a day!) and I started using gel moisturizer. It has been about a year, now my t-zone is still oily, but not too bad, and I don't have acne anymore. :) In the end I think you have to take care of your food intake and moisturize your face, be patient as this kind of things takes time to finally affect your skin.

i had oily skin, but as i get older..the oil become less..but i like the past because my face looked fresh radiant. Now i try hard by use this and that...my face become oily again but not that much...

Archived