Suncream recommendation

Guest Elevon

Guest Elevon

Summers approaching, and i need some help finding a good suncream...

I'm looking for a suncream for oily skin with high spf (50?)

any recommendations? 

ty ty ty 

Guest toomanytrucks

Hi,

Even when it's not summer, I use small bits of Aveeno's Ageless line.  It's an SPF 80 designer for your face.  I use it onto of my regular moisturizer (for dry skin) and it honestly is great.  I don't get all greasy or oily, or clogged pores.

I always get confused about this (I'll have to straight it out in my mind one day), but I remember that when it comes to SPFs, they don't do anything at certain numbers.  Although I love my 80 for my face, I know that supposedly after a certain number, it's just hype and marketing.  I could be wrong with this somewhere, but it's worth looking into.

Guest ch0psticks

Hi,

Even when it's not summer, I use small bits of Aveeno's Ageless line.  It's an SPF 80 designer for your face.  I use it onto of my regular moisturizer (for dry skin) and it honestly is great.  I don't get all greasy or oily, or clogged pores.

I always get confused about this (I'll have to straight it out in my mind one day), but I remember that when it comes to SPFs, they don't do anything at certain numbers.  Although I love my 80 for my face, I know that supposedly after a certain number, it's just hype and marketing.  I could be wrong with this somewhere, but it's worth looking into.

Yeah I heard about that too and did a quick google search

"Choosing a sunscreen from the hundreds on your store’s shelf is always confusing, and most of us fair-skinned types would naturally choose a higher SPF. But as the FDA mentions, there is no good scientific evidence that any SPF over 50 offers a higher protection against skin cancers. And the American Academy of Dermatologists only mentions that “regardless of skin type, a broad-spectrum (protects against UVA and UVB rays), water-resistant sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30 should be used year-round.” They don’t mention anything over 30 as being more useful. Why not?

The main reason is that any SPF over 30 provides only incremental extra blockage of the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. Let’s look at the actual protection (The math is easy, just divide 1 over the SPF number):

SPF 2 blocks 50%

SPF 15 blocks 93%

SPF 30 blocks 97%

SPF 50 blocks 98%

SPF 70 blocks 98.6%

SPF 90 blocks 98.9% "

Article: http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/2011/06/is-your-sunscreen-spf-50-dont-waste-your-money/

But aside from that, I started researching what kinds of sunscreens are the best kinds to use, and found that you should look for sunscreens with the two ingredients zinc oxide and titanium dioxide because those ingredients block most of the UVB and UVA rays. And remember that UVA rays the kinds that cause you to tan and lead to skin cancer! But a downside I noticed of zinc oxide is that it gives the suncreens that white cast that sunscreens have, so whatever floats your boat I guess.

Guest sweetfantasy09

am using sunplay's water kids' mild and gentle. with spf60 PA+++

water base. not sticky nor oily. i am having oily skin too

Guest tikimiki

i like no-ad. part of the cost of most products is b/c of the advertisement, so "no-ad" products offer good products at cheaper prices. i used their sunscreen spf 50 for kids and it was so good; better than coppertone and banana boat. it wasn't greasy, even though i looked a little shiny for minutes, and there's soooo much in the bottle so it lasted me FOREVER. it has broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and is water-resistant, 

and it was so cheap too; so if you want a good sunscreen at a good value no-ad is the way to go. great if you want to put it all over your body everyday.

Hello!

I too have the same skin problem- Oily skin.

I used to use Avene sunscreen as recommended by my doctor. But ever since the clinic has supplies for Heliocare sunscreen, she immediately asked me to switch brands. In my opinion, both are good to use however I would prefer using Heliocare.

Avene Sunscreen

Heliocare Sunscreen

Actually both brands are of SPF 50, and both are suitable for Oily Skin. But when comparing Heliocare and Avene, Heliocare is lighter and it's less greasy because it's more of gelish like instead of cream. Packaging wise, I like Avene's better because it comes with a pump, instead of squeezing the cream out, you pump out the amount that you need. I like the pump because I won't have to worry about squeezing excessive amount that would go to waste (I'm usually very clumsy. Haha.) For price wise, Heliocare is pricier than Avene.

Hope this helps!

Oh by the way, when shopping for sun screen, remember to look out if it includes UVA and UVB protection. :D

Guest GRAPEJUICE

I have oily/combination skin and I use Chanel SPF50 (pricey though). Dior Snow is good too.

Clarins is also a popular one, but the ingredients aren't as good for sun-blocking as the Chanel and Dior.

I hated the blue Shiseido one because it made my skin look dull and flakey.

Guest kimchiday

i use missha all around safe block essence sun in spf 45 and also neutrogena ultra-sheer in spf 45 as well O:

I'm currenty using Shiseido ultimate sun protection sunscreen in spf30+.

I also agree with the ch0psticks, having a high spf doesn't guarantee 100% protection.

Also I think wearing sunscreen eveveryday is better than only wearing it in summer.

Archived