Job as an accountant VS studying

Guest whyme2

I'm studying accounting at uni. I was wondering what is the difference between working as an accountant vs studying, because i know that studying is alot harder and stressful like writting essays, assignments and exams.. but is working as an accountant in reality alot easier and is the job very repetitve??

Guest heejinnnn

It is VERY repetitive. If you like limited communication, number crunching, and monotony, accounting is the job for you.

I'd say studying to be an accountant is harder than actually working as one. but of course it varies depending on the company, and specific fields. 

It is VERY repetitive. If you like limited communication, number crunching, and monotony, accounting is the job for you.

I'd say studying to be an accountant is harder than actually working as one. but of course it varies depending on the company, and specific fields. 

you worked as an accountant before?

Is it really hard?

Guest itrayya

i think regardless of whatever job and study you major in university,

it doesn't really prepare you for the customer service part of things.

you can have a great degree but out on the field... some people are cruel.

but as long as you have the basic computer skills, grammar skills, fax, scan skills down, you should be fine.

and the people part of things, you will learn on the way.

and of course in your particular field, it would be helpful to know the terminology.

I'm studying accounting at uni. I was wondering what is the difference between working as an accountant vs studying, because i know that studying is alot harder and stressful like writting essays, assignments and exams.. but is working as an accountant in reality alot easier and is the job very repetitve??

Depends what type of gig you get yourself into.

Working in a firm in the role of an accountant involves preparing reconciliations and financial statements. There could be budgeting and forecasting involved too.

External audits tend to fall into three groups: tax, advisory and audit.

Junior auditors produce a commodity - a financial report - and therefore margins are low. They don't add direct value and even the indirect value is questionable. They aren't paid much but learn valuable skills. Some are delusional. Many auditors went into audit to avoid writing essays and later realize that they spend lots of timing writing memos, and that memo writing is the best part of their job compared to testing.

As auditors move up the ladder, their responsibility increases and the job changes to more communication than technical skill training. At partner, the function becomes a sales role.

Tax and advisory are similar. They add easily quantifiable results and therefore can charge higher margins. Clients tend to treat them better. The work involves more technical analysis, as opposed to mechanical which is done in audit, and requires creativity and strong interpersonal skills. Client service is more important in these roles because clients expect these accountants to be more polished and confident. They're not purchasing the report, they're purchasing time and the accountant's ability to produce something in their time. It's a different product from a financial report.

Technical and soft skills need to be significantly higher than audit counterparts because of the type of analysis, urgency of the reports and delicate relationships so there are typically fewer roles for these positions. They are higher paying roles but also more stressful. In audit, where decision making is done at the partner level (and there is only 1 choice if you want business - a clean audit report), audit test choice isn't a real decision - it's just a different path to the same conclusion. In contrast, tax and advisory accountants make recommendations. Visibility is higher and it is easy to see if the recommendations were good or bad.

Guest TehEnthusiast89

i'm on the same page as you, and have been wondering about that as well.

i wish that working at it is easier than studying, because studying it is pretty hard itself.

and everyone that i've talked to says its repetitive, which isn't a problem for me.

Archived