Achieving whiter skin

Guest purpletrout

Guest purpletrout

Hi! I'm actually wondering if anyone can link me to forums/have some tips on achieving whiter skin. I actually used to have a light complexion but the sun got in the way. xD

Can anyone tell me some times to make the lightening process faster other than staying away from the sun? 

If indeed your skin color was lighter in the past, then just exfoliate (likas is a good exfoliator) and use an italy towel. In the meantime, use sunblock, and avoid DIRECT contact with the sun.

Guest GRAPEJUICE

I heard you should never use products that use the word "whitening" in it. Chemicals.

I think staying out of the sun and washing face with milk or rice water would be good ways to achieve white skin. However, if your skin is naturally dark then that won't do anything for you.

Basically, there are two reasons for your skin to produce dark pigments: genetics and sun stimulation. If your skin is normally pale, all you have to do is get rid of the darkened skin and to keep the new skin well shielded from the sun.

Exfoliation, chemical or physical, can help get rid of the darkened skin. Papaya soap works because it contains the enzyme papain, which exfoliates skin by helping break down the (dead) top layer. AHA or lactic acid would work similarly. You can also use physical exfoliants, although you have to be careful not to scrub too hard.

Products containing hydroquinone and alpha-arbutin inhibit the pigment-producing capability of the skin. Although it is available over the counter in the US, hydroquinone is a known carcinogen - not worth the risk, especially if your skin is naturally light. Most products that say "whitening" have hydroquinone, so be careful! Alpha-arbutin is non-toxic, but quite pricey. It is usually marketed as "brightening" rather than "whitening." DHC has a good alpha-arbutin line. 

On a biochemical level, rice water will do absolutely nothing for your skin tone. Milk will act as a mild exfoliant due to the lactic acid. Shea butter will also do nothing for your skin tone.

(Source: way too much research about trying to lighten my own genetically-dark skin + biochemistry minor)

Archived