Is rooting Android with a custom rom safe?

Crunchyrunchy

Guest YoshiWorld2

Can the rom harbor any potential spyware, malware used to spy on its user?

That is the only thing keeping me from getting a custom rom.

I've rooted my phone several times using CyanogenMod, MIUI and even one's ported from different phones. So far, it's pretty safe and I still have a balance in my bank, so that's good, lol. smile.gif

Take precautions, use ROMs only from trusted developers. Do not flash a custom ROM where the user is not very well known. Check users feedback as well.

I feel much safer using custom ROMs than stock because you get more control of what apps you want or don't want. Developers do a good job of removing any bloatware/potential spyware included in most devices.

Some phones actually come with a hidden app called Carrier IQ that tracks certain data and key strokes from it's user. CyanogenMod has made it clear that they will never support any such tracking service in their ROMs. I would be more worried by third party apps and connecting to an open wifi than what ROM you decide to flash.

Install a firewall/antivirus app to gain a peace of mind that you took all necessary steps to become safe.

I've rooted my phone several times using CyanogenMod, MIUI and even one's ported from different phones. So far, it's pretty safe and I still have a balance in my bank, so that's good, lol. *quoted image*

Take precautions, use ROMs only from trusted developers. Do not flash a custom ROM where the user is not very well known. Check users feedback as well.

I feel much safer using custom ROMs than stock because you get more control of what apps you want or don't want. Developers do a good job of removing any bloatware/potential spyware included in most devices.

Some phones actually come with a hidden app called Carrier IQ that tracks certain data and key strokes from it's user. CyanogenMod has made it clear that they will never support any such tracking service in their ROMs. I would be more worried by third party apps and connecting to an open wifi than what ROM you decide to flash.

Install a firewall/antivirus app to gain a peace of mind that you took all necessary steps to become safe.

Do you do a lot of personal stuff on your phone with a custom ROM on?

Guest YoshiWorld2

Do you do a lot of personal stuff on your phone with a custom ROM on?

Yes. I've purchased stuff from apps like Amazon and eBay. Checked emails. If your talking about social media like Facebook, no I haven't.

With all the above said, I haven't had any issues of people hijacking my account or password. (knock on wood) unsure.gif

Archived