Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation

Guest GRAPEJUICE

Guest GRAPEJUICE

Anyone else?
I used to have flawless skin until a couple months ago. I think working in a library with all that dust just caused my skin to go crazy. Because I was unused to pimples and whiteheads, I popped ALL of them and now I have dark acne spots on my face and it looks even worse because I have really pale skin. I'm so scared they will be permanent

- What products should I use to fade the scars quicker besides sunscreen - should I try glycolic acid/serum on those areas? I heard AHA exfoliant products are great not just for acne/scars, but in general a couple times a week for cell turnover, collagen production, and healthier looking skin. I'm just a little scared about using a chemical on my face for the first time though.

- How soon do acne scars usually go away? Is it possible for them to never fade away? Am I stuck with them for years and years?

I'm really desperate to go back to my good skin.

Guest dorkhead

I always hated it when i get acne zits and always popped them. Sometimes they would go away, sometimes they will turn red and leave a discolored red/brown scar. I always get them on my upperlip or on my right jawline. I tried bio oil (it worked for my sis, read below), but it made my skin bit too oily to my liking. But my daily routine now includes: Nivea whitening face scrub, shiseido white lucency clearifying foam and bbcream (wich countains a bit of whitening agent). I highly doubt the bbcream did the trick, but my nivea whitening scrub Not just because of the whitening, but also because its of utmost importancy to always clean your face properly at the end of the day! Clothed pores and dirt are one of the main reasons to get acne. After i washed my face with makeupremover, scrub, clearifying foam and a toner my skin feels like a baby butt so soft and clean. Its a win win. A friend of mine is very pale, and instead of sunscreen when she goes to hongkong every summer, she only uses the nivea whitening scrub to stay pale. Because the scrub dries out my skin a clearifying foam makes it soft again. My scars usually

dissapear in a few months on my jawline and 2 months on my lip.

My sister used to had her back full of scars due to zits, she used bio oil EVERY evening and her scars were gone after about 8 months (her back was between the shoulderblades was dark brown due to the amount of scars, she even used foundation on the back when she was going out :o)

Guest GRAPEJUICE

^ Thank you! I did hear about the Shiseido White Lucent line. Maybe I will try that.

I'm glad to hear that acne scars fade over a few months. It's really depressing to look in the mirror these days. :tears:

At least now I know I should never pop whiteheads in the future.

Guest kiyomiX

i know EXACTLY how you feel. i had HORRIBLE hyper-pigmentation after I moved to taiwan. For me, it was even worse than acne. Acne, at least went away after a while. Hyper-pigmentation felt like it was eating up my skin! I have skin that even if you don't touch the acne, it still leaves behind red or brown marks. 

I've basically used EVERYTHING under the sun to get rid of hyper-pigmentation. 

I've tried (not in order or together)...

1. Laser (good for fast results, but hyper-pigmentation will come back if you are prone to acne breakouts)

2. Vitamin C shots (didn't really do much for hyper-pigmentation, but really good for skin otherwise)

3. Whitening cleansers like Shiseido White Lucent (i found that they tended to dry out my skin, didn't really help)

4. Weekly facials (aggravated my skin even more)

5. Microdermabrasion (helped a little, but too expensive for upkeep)

6. SKII serums (helped whiten my skin, but left my dark marks dark...so the contrast was even greater...)

anyways, after trying all that, i've come to the conclusion that time is the best healer for hyper-pigmentation marks. I speed things along with a little exfoliation (I HIGHLY recommend Bubzbeauty's DIY Acne/Scar reducing mask) and some salicylic acid to keep skin clear.

Drink water, always put sunblock on, and don't mess with your skin (and waste too much money) like I did!!

i know EXACTLY how you feel. i had HORRIBLE hyper-pigmentation after I moved to taiwan. For me, it was even worse than acne. Acne, at least went away after a while. Hyper-pigmentation felt like it was eating up my skin! I have skin that even if you don't touch the acne, it still leaves behind red or brown marks. 

1. Laser (good for fast results, but hyper-pigmentation will come back if you are prone to acne breakouts)

2. Vitamin C shots (didn't really do much for hyper-pigmentation, but really good for skin otherwise)

3. Whitening cleansers like Shiseido White Lucent (i found that they tended to dry out my skin, didn't really help)

6. SKII serums (helped whiten my skin, but left my dark marks dark...so the contrast was even greater...)

anyways, after trying all that, i've come to the conclusion that time is the best healer for hyper-pigmentation marks. I speed things along with a little exfoliation (I HIGHLY recommend Bubzbeauty's DIY Acne/Scar reducing mask) and some salicylic acid to keep skin clear.

Drink water, always put sunblock on, and don't mess with your skin (and waste too much money) like I did!!

Just touching on some of your points:

1.Yeah, I've spoken to dermatologists before and laser should only be a resort if your acne is FULLY under control (meaning you are no longer suffering regular breakouts). It's expensive too, so it'd be a waste to have laser clear your face up, only for you to start sprouting up pimples again.

2. Vitamin C takes a VERY long time to see results. Taken internally, you'd barely be able to see results. Topical application is better (a vitamin C serum) but even at that, it takes a long time. Also, not everyone's skin is tolerant of vitamin C since it is acidic, so use sparingly if you experience redness.

3. Cleansers don't do jack. Whitening, anti aging, anti acne - no. Simply put, the product doesn't stay on your face long enough for any of the ingredients to absorb - you're just going to wash the product off your face. Just use a regular, mild cleanser. If you want effective ingredients, opt for serums. Serums are packed with antioxidants and richer concentrations of ingredients - they're expensive, but worth it.

4. Haha yeah...facials (at least from my experience) are a big no.

And yes, sunblock is extremely important, whether one has hyperpigmentation or not.

Oh, and I feel you on Taiwan. The massive air pollution and humidity in the summer (no joke) makes my face rashy and red every night once I've returned from a day out. I had to deal with it a week last summer when I was in Taipei.

I used to have flawless skin until a couple months ago. I think working in a library with all that dust just caused my skin to go crazy. Because I was unused to pimples and whiteheads, I popped ALL of them and now I have dark acne spots on my face and it looks even worse because I have really pale skin. I'm so scared they will be permanent

- What products should I use to fade the scars quicker besides sunscreen - should I try glycolic acid/serum on those areas? I heard AHA exfoliant products are great not just for acne/scars, but in general a couple times a week for cell turnover, collagen production, and healthier looking skin. I'm just a little scared about using a chemical on my face for the first time though.

- How soon do acne scars usually go away? Is it possible for them to never fade away? Am I stuck with them for years and years?

I'm really desperate to go back to my good skin.

Hmm...dust should not be a cause to breakouts. It can cause skin allergies, but not full on breakouts.

I've heard time and time again that a AHA or BHA liquid exfoliant helps with acne scars. I have used the greatly touted Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid (it's a liquid slightly thicker than a toner). Personally, I don't think it did too much for my skin, although it does help calm down cystic acne. You can try this product if you want.

Also, I think incorporating a whitening serum/dark spot corrector can help. Yes, if you get acne regularly, more hyperpigmentation is going to come up (I would know, since I suffer from regular cystic acne)....but you might as well continuously use something to battle what marks you have left than not do anything about it (I'm countering the previously posted claim that time helps). Time indeed does help scars fade, but that time can be shortened if you incorporate a whitening serum/dark spot corrector into your routine and use it regularly. I use Loreal's Youth Code Dark Spot Corrector (cheapest thing I could find, and I decided I might as well try a Loreal product for once) and with about 1 month's use so far, it has helped with some hyperpigmentation.

Guest iPandaBear

^ Thank you! I did hear about the Shiseido White Lucent line. Maybe I will try that.

I'm glad to hear that acne scars fade over a few months. It's really depressing to look in the mirror these days. :tears:

I would recommend the Shiseido White Lucent set. The most important in the set would be the White Lucent Intensive Spot Targeting Serum for $125.00. If you regularly break out and suffer from post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation then you might have an issue getting your face 100% clear since by the time you fade the spot, you'll get another break out, etc. The set doesn't really prevent hyperpigmentation marks but it definitely fades it.

Guest Hearted

I use/used Likas papaya soap, fades it.. I've tripped over my self leaving a big skidded gash area on my left leg, it's hardly even noticeable now. Before, well it was a very noticeable dark spot where I got extremely self conscious about.. Given, I had my terrible fall back in summer of 2011, only recently like in December 2011 - Now, I've used it on a regular basis. Given by regular I mean like once to twice a week? If you use it everyday then ya it will fade back to mostly normal. I mean if I focus on it, you can tell. Faint lining of it.I hope I've helped and ya it has help with some hyper pigmentation on my face caused by me popping acne.

Guest GRAPEJUICE

Thanks everybody, for your responses!!!

I have found two products for hyperpigmentation and wanted to share them here:

Obagi Blender

PCA Skincare's Phaze Pigment Gel

Two products that specifically target discoloration on the skin. Apparently both cause dryness and peeling (some scabbing) but after a few weeks, should see fresher skin under the old skin. Obagi seems kind of scary, so I ordered the PCA one and will post here when I see results. =/

Guest GRAPEJUICE

Thanks a lot for the advice! I heard Laser resurfacing is really expensive but great to get in Korea. I'll wait to see if my hyperpigmentation clears up by the time I go there. Laser resurfacing sounds scary, and I'm afraid it will negatively affect the areas where my skin is still clear and glowing.

Does time really help fade the scars completely? Or is it possible they can stick around forever? =(

Guest kiyomiX

Thanks a lot for the advice!  I heard Laser resurfacing is really expensive but great to get in Korea.  I'll wait to see if my hyperpigmentation clears up by the time I go there.  Laser resurfacing sounds scary, and I'm afraid it will negatively affect the areas where my skin is still clear and glowing.

Does time really help fade the scars completely?  Or is it possible they can stick around forever?  =(

I got my laser resurfacing done in taiwan. it didn't really hurt (but i've been told i have a high tolerance to pain), and i went in multiple sessions. it won't effect the areas where your skin is good, in fact, it might even make it better! but i'm sure you can tell the technician to only focus on the area where your hyperpigmentation is the worst (they did that for me). again, just to reiterate what BoAfriend said, make sure you have your acne under control before doing this. if not, it'll be a huge waste of time and money!!

For now just get a good BHA toner, maybe invest in a good serum, and don't worry too much (hyperpigmentation isn't considered scarring of the skin, so yes...it will go away!!)

Mixing ~1/2 tsp of baking soda into my regular cleanser really helped clear up my acne and fade scars. It exfoliates the skin a bit and brightens it.  Make sure you moisturize weIl afterwards though, since it can dry out your skin a bit depending on how long you leave it on. I use this every 2-3 days or when my skin starts looking rough or dull. 

I'm not sure if it'll work for hyperpigmentation, but it's worth a try. 

And like other posters have said, don't forget the SPF.

Guest GRAPEJUICE

Hi there,

Being an acne sufferer for almost a decade now, I'd like to share my personal experience about how I got rid of 95% of my hyperpigmentation scars.

So first of all, I'm sorry you had the urge to pop your pimples. I must admit it is somehow a really nast pleasure to see them deminish when you rid it of its contents. But sadly that is the very cause of you hyperpigmentation: agressive the skin can actually lead to a deffensive response originating from the skin itself, and it does so by over secreting pigements (melanine) in the agressed area to sooth it and create a rather thick barrier to prevent further tissue modification due to self-induced agression (popping, picking, squeezing...).

As we all know, melanine is the same pigment that gives us our religiously treated tan during the summer, giving us that nice dewy glow. So, of course the logical counter-attack- agent we need is something that can lighten your skin, in other words a bleaching agent. There are so many bleaching agents out in the market going from natural to chemical compounds. Anything that can make you either lightly peel or anything that can penetrate the skin well enough to bleach is useful. I have used many many skin peels, but honestly, if you're dealing with hyperpigmentation might as well wait up to 6 months time (which is the average fading period of hyperpigmentation in general, it can even go up to years), since most peeling agents don't really work enough to speed up the healing process of the skin.

I've always prefered very natural remedies to bleach my skin, and lemon has been one fruit secret that has been running in my family for over 3 generations now. Lemon, is an acid fruit that shouldn't scare you. It is full of citric acid which actually conferes its bleaching properties. Knowing of course that it is a fruit of very low pH, this might actually scare away some of you. So I'll share a few tips if you are afraid to apply fresh lemon juice on your face.

If attempting to apply only pure lemon juice on your face, this must be done on a freshly washed face, patted dry. Cut a slice of lemon and rub it very gently on your problem-areas, leave it to set for 10-15 minutes and wash it off with tap water (you don't have to wash it off with facial wash again, you will only harm your skin by stripping more sebum off). A MUST, is to apply moisturizer generously on your skin, by applying lemon, you modify temporarily your skin's pH which can cause dryness.

If attempting to apply a diluted solution of lemon, I suggest mixing it with a very poor amount of either milk, water or huney. With either of the listed you will acheive a less acid solution and therefore will have a lighter, yet effective medication for you hyperpigmentation. Despipte it being diluted, follow the same stpes in the previous paragraph and moisturizer is a must.

A tip I think you should religiously follow if you really want to make the fading easier is to where at least SPF50. Why? As I said the hyperpigmentation is given by the same tanning agent we activate when under the sun. Meaning sun=darker hyperpigmentation spots. SO wear SPF50 everyday and don't neglect it, even in winter or sun-less days. This is the most important step, getting rid of hyperpigmentation requires prevention of worsening.

I've recommended this method to several soompiers who religiously read my acne thread/watch my acne channel and they've given veyr positive feedback saying some of them saw significant differences from one week's time. Though this may vary from person to person. I perosnally, saw my results to be very very significant, even flagrant from 1 week and a half of daily use of lemon juice and sunscreen. Though if ever you're going to pop more pimples, might as well consider this useless since you're just about to create new scars all over again.

Good luck, hope this was helpful.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post. You don't have to try this out since I must admit that it can sting if over used :/

- Athena

Wow, THANK YOU! I'd heard about the lemon home remedy but I was always doubtful. It really faded 95% of your scars completely??

After reading this post, I went out and got some lemon and tried it today. I guess I don't have sensitive skin because it didn't sting too much or cause dryness. I have left the lemon juice on (didn't wash off) because I want this to be really effective. =) Let me know if this is not a good idea! I hope I don't wake up with bumps all over those areas tomorrow though.

I use Chanel SPF 50 sunscreen because it is the best physical sunscreen I found.

---------------

Thanks kiyomiX - I hope you're right; I will be severely depressed if my "scars" don't go away completely within a year at least. I really took my good skin for granted... -_-

Guest paintyourxtarget

I've been trying their serum daily for a few weeks now to even out my skin tone, but I haven't noticed any improvements yet. I don't know how long it takes though, probably at least a few months?

Guest kiyomiX

i've recently been trying out a new toner for hyperpigmentation that i found on makeupalley.com

It's pretty amazing! It's cheap and it really works for my skin. Reduced my hyperpigmentation to the point where even my mom (who is super critical) has commented on how my skin has improved! It also combats future breakouts too.

I've been using this for a month (with green tea, vit-c, ylang ylang oil, & lemon oil all added in) now, and I like it well enough to recommend it to you. 

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's brand is good)

• Clean, empty 8 ounce GLASS bottle (no plastic, since vinegar is acidic)

• Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled or purified is better!)

• Green Tea -- optional

• Vit-C (lysorbic acid) powder or crystals -- optional

• Ylang Ylang essential oil -- optional

• Lemon essential oil -- optional

What you do:

• Step 1: Fill bottle 1/3 full with ACV (may increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more vinegar for oilier skin and less for dry skin. If you plan to add green tea and other ingredients to your toner,follow steps 2-4 below, otherwise just add water to fill bottle to brim.

• Step 2: Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and Vit-C).

• Step 3: Add 25 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether).

• Step 4: Measure out one level teaspoon of Vit-C crystals and add to bottle with ACV and green tea. Shake bottle vigorously to dissolve crystals (if they do not dissolve right away, simply put lid on bottle and let sit for an hour toallow Vit-C crystals to solubilize in the solution. Once the Vit-C crystals have completely dissolved, your toner is ready for use. 

• Step 5: Add 5 drops of Lemon essential oil. Shake well before using. The above 'recipe' should yield enough toner for a one-month supply.

Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck. Follow up with your regular serums and/or moisturizer.

Make sure you refrigerate it!! Use as quickly as possible (should last one-month)

Guest GRAPEJUICE

^ Wow, that's a lot of work. I will try that if my scars don't clear up fast enough for me.

Although I'm not sure if it's my imagination, I think the lemon juice is working! I think it's caused a pimple or two in some areas, but this might just be purging. My skin is really pale though so this is going to take forever... =(

Archived