Interior decorating tips!

inxomnia

Share share share share!!~
So, let's share some interior decorating tips so we can all have a lovely and comfortable room! I'm just adding some as I recall from browsing + will probably add more.

Maximising space:

• Mirrors are an easy go-to to create the illusion of space; as well as boosting natural light
  • Reduce the size of your bed.. even though we want a big bed, we may not need it. (Sadly, I don't adhere to this. I love sleeping so a spacious bed is a must)
  • Use multifunctional furniture - an futon that doubles up as storage space
  • Take advantage of underbed storage.
  • Use hooks to your advantage. Also, wall shelves are a great option to maximising wall space.

Organisation:

• Creating a filing system; either in relation to urgency of matter or category (ie, bills, forms etc)
  • Store smaller things like crafty basics (buttons, ribbons, pens, etc) in glass jars.
  • Keep larger items and materials in storage boxes or baskets
  • Labels! Labels! Labels! & Place similar things together!
  • Keep a "memory" box, where you place your keepsakes and things that have sentimental value, but are hardly 'used' so it doesn't clutter up with items you regularly use & it is safe.
  • When sorting out your belongings, place items that you think might come in handy, but you don't know where to place them exactly or when they'd come in handy, in a separate box. Annually (or periodically), sift through the box and see whether you did use it during the period. If not, chuck it out. Otherwise, you're being a hoarder.

Decor:

• Colours affect mood. Whites and neutrals project a clean and pure effect. Yellows energise. Green promotes growth. Blue calms.
  • When decorating your bedroom, divide the colors in the space into components to balance the colors and give it a shot of interest as well - 60 percent of a dominant color, 30 percent of a secondary color and 10 percent of an accent color.
  • Rearrange your furniture. You’d be surprised how much of a boost you can give your décor by just moving a few pieces around.
  • Nothing beats piles of soft white towels for their luxurious look, especially when you have open shelving in a bathroom. Candles, a blue vase and green- and cream-colour flowers add dashes of pretty to an all-white backdrop.
  • Avoid the cluttered, chaotic look of jam-packed shelves by grouping books and accessories of similar size and shape in mini vignettes.
  • A throw brings softness to a masculine leather club chair and lends a light, inviting touch to any reading corner.
  • A windowed nook is perfect for a built-in daybed (with storage underneath). Try cosying things up with a demi-lune table and a mirror that bounces even more light into the room.

Bed:

• Experiment with textures when sticking to a white bedroom sheet/quilt set, such as a velvet cushions, cashmere throws etc.
  • For an immediate "luxury" or "glam" boost, add curtains and pillows; emulating hotel room extravagance

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thank you for the tips. Yeah moving around furniture allows me to see which way gives me more space. I want to buy a divider for my room that I can use to put small bins and use as storage as well. I think it'll give my room a sense of space and privacy as well as modern.

I'm going to buy some wall stickers to give a nice flowery and calm feeling to it...

^__^

I'm also contemplating whether to buy wall decals or not. While my walls are all white and plain (making me wanna just decorate them with cute stickers) there isn't that much wall space because I have a sliding door, another door and a big window ... so I don't know if I stick wall decals, whether it'll be too cluttered-looking.

Also, thought these are some pretty swell ideas (credit- martha stewart) :

mld103351_0608_envelope_xl.jpg

Just glue envelopes on the insides of notebooks!

mld103020_0208_deskshelves_xl.jpg

Easy way to decorate - wallpaper your shelves!

Guest Justalilodreamer

just wanted to share http://www.younghouselove.com/

their projects and before/after pictures are SO inspiring. they have a lot of tutorials, decor tips, mood boards, before/after pictures (they're amazing) ...and whats amazing is that both of them are self taught so you can do a lot of things yourself as well. I've become so inspired to remodel my house after going through their site.

Guest mizswtifee

I second the grouping idea.

When people ask me how I manage to share a 5 x 5 foot bedroom with my sister and still have a neat room, I tell them...it's all about organizing. Group similar things together. If you have a lot of books ( doesnt matter if it's magazines, textbooks, or albums), put them together. Keep all electronic wires in one place etc. After you have grouped everything together. Go through each group and de-clutter! I like cleaning the room as a whole, then go through each individual part and de-clutter.

Once you have everything organize, that's when you can start visualizing and decorating. In the beginning, I bought small cute boxes that I don't need. It was after I cleaned, I knew exactly the boxes I need.

Guest Justalilodreamer

Anyone else love watching the Nate Burkus show? He came back with a season II not too long ago.

One idea i REALLY love is finding cheap and cool sculptures/figurines in thift stores and spray painting them with a glossy contemporary color. You can also do this with old picture frames or mirror frames.

diy,paint,spray,paint,thrifty-14bbd2d0562fc16057ce789c64372038_h.jpg

Upholstering an old chair/bench (and spray painting it) ...borrowing pictures from younghouselove :P

updated-piano-bench-before.jpg

img_3095.jpg

http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/03/the-story-of-a-thrift-store-bench/

Before and after - look at the difference!!!

Painting the back of your shelves. I've always wanted to do this, probably will when I find the time to.

bookshelves.jpg

dark-back.jpg

http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/01/tall-dark-and-handsome/

they also made this awesome clothespin chandelier

CPLAfter-Straingt-On-High.jpg

http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/08/320-pins/

Pretty time consuming project but result is gorgeous

All of these projects you can find at younghouselove.com plus many more :) i just love their site.

One of my favorite interior design sites:

awesome inspiration w/ pictures of different real home interiors, you can also view their magazine for free :)

I really love how most of the designs have a sense of identity, its not just made up of a bunch of elaborate and expensive furnitures. Many of these things you can DIY and find at thift stores (if you're lucky). Obviously, not all of them are great...some are a bit overly done.

http://lonnymag.com/decorate

• 1 month later...
Guest lara2121

Wow thank you for the tips. Yeah moving around furniture allows me to see which way gives me more space. I want to buy a divider for my room that I can use to put small bins and use as storage as well. I think it'll give my room a sense of space and privacy as well as modern.

I'm going to buy some wall stickers to give a nice flowery and calm feeling to it...

^__^

Nice tips. Really home decoration is herculean task and takes lots of time to manage all.

• 1 month later...
Guest dreamsrebel

thanks for all the tips. I'm TRYING to clean/organize my place right now and let me tell ya'lls...it's a pain! I keep getting distracted AND there's just too many things...it's driving me insane!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest gendrys

Love all the tips! I want to re-decorate my room this summer, but I just don't know where to start. This helped! Thanks! (:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hi
these nice post, i like these interior designing, i always says interior designing is not only art it is the creativity, and the creativity does not comes with practice its God gifted.
Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bunny21

thanks for sharing wonderful tips what i suggest that you can also use rugs in your floor interior it gives great look to your floor .

check out some beautiful rugs are as follows :
10620_L.jpg
Shag Rugs Strass Dark Red

10531_L.jpg
Oriental Rugs Poosa Brown

10380_L.jpg
Solid Rugs Jaiho Red

10457_L.jpg
Contemporary Rugs Metopolitan Gold and Black

Archived