It is absolutely wrong to steal ideas

Mannosuke

You know what the most disgusting thing I've ever heard is?

Stealing ideas.

Stealing ideas to make better products.

Stealing ideas for innovation.

Stealing ideas for profit.

It's sickening how people can possibly take an idea that SOMEONE ELSE came up with, MODIFY IT, and has the nerve to SELL IT for money. With or without proper attribution.

The world would be a much better place if people stopped pirating ideas.

That's probably what intellectual property laws is for, but clearly it only works when you go through the whole legal process.

Don't you think it's much better if you came up with an idea, and no one could steal it from you?

To the extreme extent, we all "stole" the ideas of Alphabets and make use of them to communicate and create some bigger "arts" like poems! Art of poetry!

Imagine having copyrights on Alphabets, we're all pirating it! And websites with signs of Alphabets will be taken down unless they paid to use them...

I remember reading the news about a woman trying to claim the Sun and that we'd have to pay her for borrowing her copyrighted Sun? (Something like that)

When we run out of ways to make money, that's where governments will be heading to!

Guest snsd_foreverr

He is obviously being sarcastic people. The point he is trying to get at is most things in the world would not have come this for if it hadn't been for this so called "piracy."

Guest snsd_foreverr

Piracy usually doesn't add value to anything, unless you're pirating something useful like a $1500 application that you could learn some new skills with.

The title of the thread is about stealing ideas. That was what I was referring to in my previous post.  

Person A makes something. Person B sees Persons A's invention and has an idea to make it better. This is what advances technology. 

Guest The_Username

So if I were to make a bootleg recording of SNSD and sell it on a vinyl white label verbatim, that's a good thing? I don't think so. Doing this VERBATIM is pretty lame and despicable. How about selling counterfeit purses in Chinatown? Not cool either. There is a huge difference between being inspired by something and stealing.

Guest fred2265

I think the reverse is more wrong - creating something that could benefit everyone  (eg new medicines) and then exploiting it for profit rather than making it available to everyone.

This kind of came up (piracy/downloading) in a recent convo with my friend who said she found that downloading something for keeps and rewatching it again without having to pay for it is wrong. My counterargument was that, that was what we did back then with VHS recording and no one complained, or when we recorded the radio on cassettes. Truth is, if something is out there via media, then it is probably always going to be out there in some way. I find that if you're trying to destroy "piracy" in all its technicalities, you will end up ruining the media.

Guest toomanytrucks

No, that's just the world of business.  It's not all about the idea, there is also marketing, execution in general..

Guest loop.statement

lol.

i remember in art class, my prof quoted picasso, "we invented nothing". that quote of picasso was stated when he first saw ancient cave paintings. 

To the extreme extent, we all "stole" the ideas of Alphabets and make use of them to communicate and create some bigger "arts" like poems! Art of poetry!

Imagine having copyrights on Alphabets, we're all pirating it! And websites with signs of Alphabets will be taken down unless they paid to use them...

I remember reading the news about a woman trying to claim the Sun and that we'd have to pay her for borrowing her copyrighted Sun? (Something like that)

When we run out of ways to make money, that's where governments will be heading to!

the alphabet is open source.. so no one stole anything,,,

Alphabet is public domain, open source is different. :]

Lol the Alphabet system is so incredibly old  that copyright and patents don't even exist back when it was created. I doubt intellectual property back then were even recognized.  

The Alphabet is open source as in people took an idea and revise it to fit their basis. There is no harm in this.

• 1 month later...
Guest LittlePinky82

This kind of came up (piracy/downloading) in a recent convo with my friend who said she found that downloading something for keeps and rewatching it again without having to pay for it is wrong. My counterargument was that, that was what we did back then with VHS recording and no one complained, or when we recorded the radio on cassettes. Truth is, if something is out there via media, then it is probably always going to be out there in some way.  I find that if you're trying to destroy "piracy" in all its technicalities, you will end up ruining the media.

I still VHS all the time. I have done so with workout video's from my cable's "On Demand" and can record them. I remember when I was in high school in the late 90's and early 2000's my friends and I would record songs off the radio onto cassette tapes and we'd share them with each other. Sometimes I'd have a cd that my friend would like and if she wanted it but couldn't afford to buy it yet herself she would record it onto a tape. So, what about that? 

As for stealing idea's it's wrong to do but you can't claim ownership of an idea unless it's copywrited. If it's not and you tell someone about it and they like it and jump on it first and make tons of money off it well that's just a shame for the original person.

Archived