rice pot peeling--don't continue using?

Guest bombb_

so my rice pot started peeling

like 5 little specks, i can see the white underneath the non-stick (? i assume) coating.

i didnt know and used a rough sponge to clean it

is it still ok to cook rice in it? or should i get a new rice pot?

and if i can't cook rice in it, can i still steam food with it (on a tray that the rice cooker came with that doesnt touch the bottom, it's rim rests on the pot's rim)?

Oh, the dilemma over nonstick Teflon. I've scratched mine and still continue to use it. Unless you get giant pieces flaking into your food, I would not worry too much. Teflon's main danger is when it vaporizes at 600 degrees F.

About the exposed aluminum, hmm, it's up to you. I figure I absorb various kinds of dangerous substances every single day so I have issues tossing away what is still usable and not a risk to my health. 

Most researchers no longer regard aluminum as a risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease. However, some researchers are still examining whether some people are at risk because their bodies have difficulties in handling foods containing the metals copper, iron, and aluminum.

thanks for your reply (:

it seems mine is xylan coating though, i hadn't checked the box before i posted.

i googled and didn't come up with anything conclusive.

but it did seem to match what you said about the 600 degrees point, but for xylan it's 500 degrees.

it said that only when it vaporizes is when it seems to have any apparent problems, but long-term studies have still not delivered solid evidence yet.

ggrrr idk if i should use it to cook rice and take the risk or not..haha. it's so new too!

i saw a review on how the coating for my rice cooker has been shown to bubble within a few months of use, seems to be the case for me too.

It's unlikely that your rice cooker will ever heat up past 350 degrees. The warning is more for people that pan-fry something and then transfer to a hot oven to finish.

Consider a stainless steel rice pot. They're not as common and cost more but you'll never have to worry about peeling coatings or that small amount of aluminum leaching into your food. 

you should get a stainless steel rice cooker. my family did after replacing the ones with the coating all the time. it's seriously so much better. it's much easier to clean and there's almost zero clean up. it does cost more up front but you end up getting a lot more use out of it. just make sure to wipe it dry after washing. i can't see any other way it would break down unless it's an electronic issue. i love my family's stainless steel rice cooker. it cooks everything so evenly and quickly.

• 1 year later...
Guest Stephen1430292380

Can you recommend a brown rice cooker that has a stainless steel pot?  I've been looking but did not find any model that has it.Thanks so much

Archived