OMG dyed my hair with a brown dye but turned out black?

Lovinyou615

Hi!

So i had a goldish brown color before (quite light). I have this color for a while but i wanted to change another color -> to dark brown. So i've bought a dark brown color from Garnier, dyed my hair myself at home but it has turned out BLACK on my hair. It's not that i'm not liking it, but i want a bit color in my hair, so my question is: if i go to a hairsalon at get it professionally done by a hairdresser, can i still get my hair lighter since it has turned out black now? Do i have to bleach it to strip out the color before i want to go lighter again?

xoxo

Guest dreamy21

Hi!

So i had a goldish brown color before (quite light). I have this color for a while but i wanted to change another color -> to dark brown. So i've bought a dark brown color from Garnier, dyed my hair myself at home but it has turned out BLACK on my hair. It's not that i'm not liking it, but i want a bit color in my hair, so my question is: if i go to a hairsalon at get it professionally done by a hairdresser, can i still get my hair lighter since it has turned out black now? Do i have to bleach it to strip out the color before i want to go lighter  again?

xoxo

Yeah, whenever I wanna get my hair dyed black.. I never use an actual black color dye (looks too fake)...I get a dark brown color because it goes on black with a more natural tone.

Have you considered buying one of those drugstore color removers? They're supposed to strip the dye from your hair.

Guest Kristtina

i dyed my hair to chocolate brown with garnier it also turned out black. but after 2 months it will be washed out it will look more like dark dark brown. and now its been almost 3 months for me and my hair is brown with sligh hint of reddish color, and i really really like it.

so dont dye your hair again it will wash out.also hot water washes color more faster that cold water,just saying.

and if u had really light brown hair then its normal your dyed hair looks so dark.

Guest B-Rabbit

I had ashy golden hair from bleaching and colouring it and that faded really light and then i just bought a hair dye from sally's that was dark brown and coloured it. It turned out really dark and very close to black but isn't jet black it has a lot of golden brown undertones.

:P it's natural for your hair to be very dark when you first dye it from a very light colour.

about 1-2weeks your hair colour will fade and wash off a bit and become more brown.

after a few washes, the brown shade will show up.

more visible outdoor.

i dyed my hair to chocolate brown with garnier it also turned out black. but after 2 months it will be washed out it will look more like dark dark brown. and now its been almost 3 months for me and my hair is brown with sligh hint of reddish color, and i really really like it.

so dont dye your hair again it will wash out.also hot water washes color more faster that cold water,just saying.

and if u had really light brown hair then its normal your dyed hair looks so dark.

I had ashy golden hair from bleaching and colouring it and that faded really light and then i just bought a hair dye from sally's that was dark brown and coloured it. It turned out really dark and very close to black but isn't jet black it has a lot of golden brown undertones.

:P it's natural for your hair to be very dark when you first dye it from a very light colour.

about 1-2weeks your hair colour will fade and wash off a bit and become more brown.

Ah thanks guys for responding! Ah so it will really fade to a dark brown color? Pheew... that makes me feel better. I was kinda upset by this color lol.

Guest ukraine

Ah thanks guys for responding! Ah so it will really fade to a dark brown color? Pheew... that makes me feel better. I was kinda upset by this color lol.

not to be a negative nancy, but it may not. i for one have the most stubborn hair in the entire world, and it will NOT dye normally, ever. for a slightly lighter brown (which is still pretty darn dark) i have to buy like, blonde hair dye lol. your hair starting out is much lighter than mine, though, so it's not really the same situation!

you could also bleach your hair before dying, but that damages it much more than only hair dye so i wouldn't personally recommend it.

Guest bbpanida

I agree with everyone. The color will get lighter within time.

If you do decide to go to the salon and have it redye, no you do not have to bleach it. I never bleach my hair when I dye from my natural black to brown.

BUT if you do it at home, here is a tip of advice- always pick a dye that is few shade lighter than you actually want. If you have black hair, the dye will naturally come out darker.

not to be a negative nancy, but it may not. i for one have the most stubborn hair in the entire world, and it will NOT dye normally, ever. for a slightly lighter brown (which is still pretty darn dark) i have to buy like, blonde hair dye lol. your hair starting out is much lighter than mine, though, so it's not really the same situation!you could also bleach your hair before dying, but that damages it much more than only hair dye so i wouldn't personally recommend it.

Haha next time i will buy asian hairdyes again.. i don't trust drugstore brands anymore lol

I agree with everyone. The color will get lighter within time. If you do decide to go to the salon and have it redye, no you do not have to bleach it. I never bleach my hair when I dye from my natural black to brown. BUT if you do it at home, here is a tip of advice- always pick a dye that is few shade lighter than you actually want. If you have black hair, the dye will naturally come out darker.

thanks for the advice :) I think i will keep it like this for awhile since i prefer a darker hair color during the winter :)

after a few washes, the brown shade will show up.

more visible outdoor.

This is true!! My hair color keep fading faster than I thought because I've been outdoor a lot XD

• 1 year later...
Guest Lynko Defo

I dyed only the grey roots of my hair with Ion Medium Golden Brown semi permanent color, something I've been using for several years with good results. Early September  (this year) I used this color again and for some reason the color came out BLACK.. I tried Ion color corrector TWICE, 2 weeks apart while trying to shampoo many times with no results. It looks like though a little bit of brown is coming back at the roots, but I hate having black on top of my head and medium golden brown on the rest! I look and feel like a rodent!!! What can I do?? WIll the blackness ever go??

Archived