Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Need Korean Help?

Replies

• imtoghaiimtoghai Soompi Forums :DPosts: 1,547Member

IDOL

edited January 2012
    Besides the websites that are listed on the first page, what other resources do you guys use to learn Korean? Websites, books, anything.
  • Original DollOriginal Doll ? Posts: 910Member
    edited January 2012
    Hi guys, could someone help me translate this please?
    좋은하루 보내고,세일기간 맘껏 즐겨요~
    What I understood is that the person is wishing me a happy day (right? idk correct me ^^; )
    Anyway, I hope someone could help me translate it, and perhaps suggest a way I could reply to it
  • sudu1wonsudu1won Posts: 437Member

ROOKIE

edited January 2012
    Original Doll wrote on 15 January 2012 - 08:11 PM:

Hi guys, could someone help me translate this please?
    좋은하루 보내고,세일기간 맘껏 즐겨요~

What I understood is that the person is wishing me a happy day (right? idk correct me ^^; )

yes, you were correct.

"Have a good day and enjoy (shopping during) the sale period~"

Anyway, I hope someone could help me translate it, and perhaps suggest a way I could reply to it

A simple 네, 고마워요~ 잘 즐길게요! would do.
    ...I can't really think any fancy replies off the top of my head right now sweatingbullets.gif
  • Original DollOriginal Doll ? Posts: 910Member
    edited January 2012
    sudu.won wrote on 16 January 2012 - 12:40 AM:

yes, you were correct.
    "Have a good day and enjoy (shopping during) the sale period~"
    A simple 네, 고마워요~ 잘 즐길게요! would do.
    ...I can't really think any fancy replies off the top of my head right now
    *quote*

Aw~ So clear and precise, thank you! =)
    and yes I don't have a fancy answer myself... so that'll pretty much suffice ^^
  • oonaoona Posts: 175Member
    I'm working on a korean/american invoice template.  
    Can someone tell me the professional wording for "Due Upon Receipt".  A lot of our customers are Korean and do not undersand "Due Upon Receipt"/ Due Immediately

On the invoice, I have a line that says "Your payment is: ___________".  In there I need it to say both in English & Korean, "Due Upon Receipt" and the Korean equivalent of that.  Just the portion in quotes.  It could also be "Due Immediately", which ever will be shorter and more professional.  Thank you!  

ROOKIE

oona wrote on 17 January 2012 - 06:09 AM:

I'm working on a korean/american invoice template.  
    Can someone tell me the professional wording for "Due Upon Receipt".  A lot of our customers are Korean and do not undersand "Due Upon Receipt"/ Due Immediately

On the invoice, I have a line that says "Your payment is: ___________".  In there I need it to say both in English & Korean, "Due Upon Receipt" and the Korean equivalent of that.  Just the portion in quotes.  It could also be "Due Immediately", which ever will be shorter and more professional.  Thank you!  

I'm assuming you're making something like this on your invoice?:

Total Payment: $...
    합계: $...

*Your payment is due upon receipt (of invoice)
    *대금은 송품장을 받으시는 즉시 지불하셔야 합니다.

or

*Your payment is due immediately.
    *대금은 즉시 지불하셔야 합니다.

if you meant "Your payment is due upon receipt (of goods or services etc)" then a certain wording in the first sentence has to be changed so do inform if you want to know.
    Or you can use the second sentence.
  • nikkiex33nikkiex33 Posts: 1,083Member

IDOL

edited January 2012
    does anyone know what 고 바 위 means?
    apparently it`s a busan dialect

thank you!

nevermind! i got my answer (:
  • nervtronnervtron los angelesPosts: 62Member
    I want to practice speaking Korea more this year but it's difficult for me to make Korean friends. Can someone help me
    find a Daum cafe or site where I can meet some Koreans...for language exchange?
    내 여자라니까 <3
  • Dara-chanDara-chan Posts: 185Member
    I was wondering...I hear a lot of girls calling their boyfriends oppa. My Korean book tells me that oppa is used by a female speaking to an older male. So, that being said, would I use oppa if I had a younger boyfriend?
  • jcwcjcwc singaporePosts: 1,417Member
    ^ lol i dont think so... since oppa is the way girls address older guys. but maybe ur bf could find it cute if u called him oppa? lol i think a korean would be better able to answer u haha

hey everyone, pls help me out here. i need to use these sentences as part of my skit for my korean oral test haha

1. my favourite moment is when XXX (person's name) flips her hair during her part in the chorus
    2. was it your idea to sing YY (song title) ? why did you choose this song?
    imageimage

ROOKIE

Dara-chan wrote on 19 January 2012 - 04:04 AM:

I was wondering...I hear a lot of girls calling their boyfriends oppa. My Korean book tells me that oppa is used by a female speaking to an older male. So, that being said, would I use oppa if I had a younger boyfriend?

If your younger boyfriend says he wants to be called oppa (which he most probably wants to), then by all means of course you can.

Some Koreans think this is outright weird. Some think it's cute.
    So it's not completely rare to find an older girl calling her young beau oppa.

Besides you don't have to tell everyone that your boyfriend is younger than you, right? happy.gif

jcwc wrote on 19 January 2012 - 01:33 PM:

hey everyone,  pls help me out here. i need to use these sentences as part of my skit for my korean oral test haha

1. my favourite moment is when XXX (person's name) flips her hair during her part in the chorus

perhaps you can enlighten me first on the nature of your skit? whether you are talking to just friend or to someone older than you.
    you know, whether to use 반말 or 존댓말 in the translation. smile.gif
  • oonaoona Posts: 175Member
    sudu.won wrote on 16 January 2012 - 07:38 PM:

I'm assuming you're making something like this on your invoice?:

Total Payment: $...
    합계: $...

*Your payment is due upon receipt (of invoice)
    *대금은 송품장을 받으시는 즉시 지불하셔야 합니다.

or

*Your payment is due immediately.
    *대금은 즉시 지불하셔야 합니다.

if you meant "Your payment is due upon receipt (of goods or services etc)" then a certain wording in the first sentence has to be changed so do inform if you want to know.
    Or you can use the second sentence.

That was exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you  :)
  • Dara-chanDara-chan Posts: 185Member
    edited January 2012
    sudu.won
    Thank you so much! :lol: And you're right, I don't have to tell everyone he's younger ;)
    perhaps you can enlighten me first on the nature of your skit? whether you are talking to just friend or to someone older than you.
    you know, whether to use 반말 or 존댓말 in the translation. *quoted image*
    [/quote]
    the skit is just me and a friend talking about our kpop lols. 반말 is ok. thanks a lot!
    imageimage

ROOKIE

jcwc wrote on 19 January 2012 - 01:33 PM:

hey everyone,  pls help me out here. i need to use these sentences as part of my skit for my korean oral test haha

jcwc wrote on 22 January 2012 - 09:45 PM:

the skit is just me and a friend talking about our kpop lols. 반말  is ok. thanks a lot!

1. 나는 이 노래 중에서 XXX이/가 머리칼을 홱 움직이는 장면이 가장 좋아.

2. 혹시 YY을/를 노래하는 건 너의 선택이었지?  왜 이 노래를 선택했니?
  • moomoocowsmoomoocows Posts: 450Member

ROOKIE

I don't need any translations help but I am just curious what is an easy way to learn korean?

The reason I asked is because I feel like there's so much to learn and I don't know where to start. I am American-Chinese so I spoke Chinese regularly at home and practiced simple writing when I was young, so it wasn't difficult for me. I also learned Spanish in high school, but because the language uses basic ABC alphabets, I could pronounce the words as written.
    As for Korean, I can't understand anything besides the few words, like mom, dad, hi, bye. And I can't read the hangul(I'm guessing that's what it's called.). To learn it, I feel like I need an english translation, the korean hangul(?), and the pronunciation transcribed in english.

So what's a good way to start learning it on your own? I want to at least be able to watch shows/dramas without the help of eng subs one day.
  • toriii_miiintoriii_miiin Posts: 181Member
    what's the difference between 지금 and 이제?

ROOKIE

toriii_miiin wrote on 26 January 2012 - 03:21 AM:

what's the difference between 지금 and 이제?

consider the following examples;

지금 눈이 내린다
    It's snowing now

이제 눈이 내린다 
    It's snowing now (before this it didn't snow yet and now, it's snowing)

so 지금 just mean "right now, at this present moment" while 이제 has the nuance of after a certain period of time passed, something happens now.

지금 알겠다 
    Right now I understand

이제 알겠다
    Now I understand! (after all these time trying to figure it out)

지금 그만 해
    Stop doing it right now

이제 그만 해
    Stop doing it now (and don't ever do it anymore)

I hope you see the difference in nuance now.
    sudu won thanks a lot for your translation! just a lil more help pls! thanks in advance!

1. could you give me a hug please?
    2. can we take a picture together please? it would mean a lot to me.
    imageimage

ROOKIE

jcwc wrote on 29 January 2012 - 05:50 PM:

sudu won thanks a lot for your translation! just  a lil more help pls! thanks in advance!

1. could you give me a hug please?
    2. can we take a picture together please? it would mean a lot to me.

1. 나를 좀 안아 줄래?

2. 나랑 같이 사진 찍어 줄래? 우리 사진은 내게 정말 소중하니까...