Good Places to Work Part Time?

Guest dp6194

High School Senior
I'm a high school senior, applications are almost done, and I need some cash flow ASAP.

I haven't really worked a day in my life except shoveling snow for neighbors now and then,

but considering I played football for four years, working hard isn't a problem.

I need really good ideas for places to work...I can't really think of any where that's suitable.

I'm just looking to work 4 days a week with 4-5 hour shifts but can be flexible, since I'm still a student after all.

I've thought of applying to hollister/abercrombie but I think I'm way too in my football physique for that and I heard you

spend more money than make lol.

What are some great places you guys have worked at?

i live too far to anywhere korean

so i have to get a job close @ home

there are three malls close by...but like everyone has been telling me, retail is not the way

Guest 한스 ㅋㅋ

anywhere you like really..

i dunno why retail is bad... i dun think its that bad. A lot of people say its not too fun, but duh, least its not hard or anything.

anything is better than McDonalds or any fast food imo.

if you have a lot of connections, its a good idea to start asking, you can land some pretty sweet jobs that the public won't get 

but if you really need the  cash, then I'd just work anywhere, since its hard enough to find jobs.

if you're in doubt whether ur suitable for the role, just apply anyway if you get interviewed thats good they will decide whether you are suitable or not.

don't give up before even trying they ain't gonna employ someone who's not convincing.

Guest deflate

Hollister/Abercrombie has crazy hours and they're not very lenient on them, if you're looking for a flexible schedule. Retail isn't bad - it just depends on which retail you're looking at. I worked at Columbia Sportswear and I loved it! The hours were lenient, the pay was great, the managers were so chill, and the general work environment was good. There wasn't a lot of hard work to do, just filling clothes, folding, hanging, clearing dressing rooms, and checking people out. Occasionally, you worked stock in the back, and that's just unpacking boxes and pricing them. I'm actually going back there this summer when I come back from college 8)

I've also worked at a nail salon. Not as great as working at Columbia, but it's pretty decent. The smell of acetone does get to you though, and there are some mean customers. You learn how to deal with people really well if you work in nails because some women are just mouthy, hahaha.

My advice would be to go into retail, but DON'T work at places like Forever21/Hollister/Abercrombie/etc. Avoid teenage-aimed places. Their hours are always crazy and the work is much harder because let's face it, teenagers are messy and they don't buy things half of the time. Work at places that aim for the older generation like Columbia or Tommy Hilfiger, Banana Republic or something like that. Avoid department stores though, I had a friend who worked at Macy's for a summer and apparently they exploit their employees. Good luck! 8)

Guest PancakeMuffins91

The supermarket or the cinema? I know these aren't the most exciting options but they (at least the supermarkets and cinemas in my town) are always hiring high school students and they tend to be pretty flexible with hours. The pay isn't that great but I don't think you can expect much except for minimum wage and the work itself isn't that difficult. And the perks for working at the cinema can be fairly decent; back when my sister worked at our local cinema she received 4 free tickets a month, free popcorn, special bonuses like $100 gift cards, and sometimes she would get to watch a movie before it was officially released in cinemas for the public.

You could also work at a coffee shop (all of my friends who have worked at Starbucks have earned anywhere from $30- $100 a shift in tips) or restaurant; you might be able to earn a lot in tips and the hours might be flexible depending on which place you end up working at.

retail really depends on the staff...when i worked retail, it was the worst first job experience ever. i had the worst supervisor ever. i don't get why i was treated so horribly too. ugh...

it is nice to try and get jobs at those retail places though because atleast you'll get SOME job experience. i think the likelihood of getting hired at one is greater than other no experience required type jobs. it's much better to have some job experience than having none when applying for a second job.

i'd rather work at a restaurant where people tip well.

it really depends. i work at a hakwon and i really like it because i have really nice bosses and the kids there are great, but this was after my  first ever job and like half a year later.

Guest HavenInMuse

Have you ever considered being a bank teller or something similar? My first jobs were being a teller and a passenger service agent working for an airline at the airport. Being a PSA is fun, hours are flexible, its usually a part time job, and enviornment is exciting to work at. Being a teller is pretty easy, hours are scheduled, and you can work part time or full time. Both jobs provide training, so it isn't bad. Its not stressful, and you dont always deal with a rush or bad customers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hollister/Abercrombie has crazy hours and they're not very lenient on them, if you're looking for a flexible schedule. Retail isn't bad - it just depends on which retail you're looking at. I worked at Columbia Sportswear and I loved it! The hours were lenient, the pay was great, the managers were so chill, and the general work environment was good. There wasn't a lot of hard work to do, just filling clothes, folding, hanging, clearing dressing rooms, and checking people out. Occasionally, you worked stock in the back, and that's just unpacking boxes and pricing them. I'm actually going back there this summer when I come back from college 8)

I've also worked at a nail salon. Not as great as working at Columbia, but it's pretty decent. The smell of acetone does get to you though, and there are some mean customers. You learn how to deal with people really well if you work in nails because some women are just mouthy, hahaha.

My advice would be to go into retail, but DON'T work at places like Forever21/Hollister/Abercrombie/etc. Avoid teenage-aimed places. Their hours are always crazy and the work is much harder because let's face it, teenagers are messy and they don't buy things half of the time. Work at places that aim for the older generation like Columbia or Tommy Hilfiger, Banana Republic or something like that. Avoid department stores though, I had a friend who worked at Macy's for a summer and apparently they exploit their employees. Good luck! 8)

my friends work @ hollister and they say they have a facebook group where they exchange shifts really easily...

like you can work whenever and however much you want.

but i don't think hollister's going to be an option anyways because idk if i want to spend money buying their clothes lol, and i don't even know if i'm good looking enoug o_0

i was thinking a local sushi restaurant, but i really don't have that much time to work mon-sunday...i just want to work tues thurs and saturdays...

Guest pure.life

Retail clothing store? because I don't think I want to do that full time when I grow up haha. and it's something on the easier side and you get discounts.

• 4 weeks later...

lmao i ridiculously need a job.

i'm spending my saved up money to pay for my car insurance now -____-

i need some more ideas!!!

i already to applied to:

a gym, a supermarket, 3 clothing stores, starbucks, panera...lol 

no answer and i applied like a month ago

Hey, you do know that in Hollister they hire models. My friend saw a ton of girls taking pictures with those guys in Metrotown on Boxing Day.

I'd recommend thinking about what sorts of special skills you have. Maybe you're really good at math and chem. You can think about tutoring.

Or once you get to University, you can offer to write kids' personal profiles for applications if you have good writing skills. (I don't agree with this but I'm using this as a "skill-based" example.) I know a great number of rich immigrant kids who have low grades but are concerned with getting into University anyway. u_____u

Archived