Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You NEED a car for college?

DaylightfulDaylightful Love and Peace!Cincinnati, OhioPosts: 1,272Member
Anyone who don't drive?
Hi, all! I have been debating to get a car or to live closer to campus. I prefer to live closer to campus and just get an apartment for the next four years and rely on my bike and bussing. A lot of my friends think I'm crazy for it (we do go out a lot and a lot of times I rely on rides from friends). I am wondering if there are college students who don't drive? If you don't or do why? Thank you!

Oh, just a side note: I plan on travelling the world after graduating thus I'm not really all for getting a car until I completely settle down. I also don't have my licence, but I've driven on my temps and I do enjoy it.
♥ Blog: Cultural Fun, Recipes, Arts/Crafts + Beauty Tutorials, Everyday Happy Life! | Flickr | Twitter | Facebook♡
tumblr_loebp6mxH01qdsjn2.gif
Currently: Flax Seed Gel (Organic Hair Gel!)
"To truly Love, is the ultimate expression of the will to live. A heart that truly loves is forever young."

Replies

• MonkeyKingMonkeyKing Martial Artist. Los Angeles, California.Posts: 580Member
    college with out a car is just 20x more unnecessary stress, it's not impossible, but having one is HIGHLY recommended.
    Even if you live on campus if you want any sort of social life having a car would be needed.

heck even if you weren't in college a college aged student should still have a car,
    Instagram --> @xconarium
    Tumblr

How can you, as a part of the universe, spend your whole life in the same particle without seeing your neighbors around the world?
    dorkafied!
  • MannosukeMannosuke Posts: 12,626Member

SUPERSTAR

How will you carry groceries =/
  • DaylightfulDaylightful Love and Peace! Cincinnati, OhioPosts: 1,272Member
    I planned on bussing to the store or biking if it was a small needed amount of groceries. :sweatingbullets:

@Monkey, I do feel like I would miss out on some things with friends; however, I can't really choose both a car and living on campus. I think having a car is very convenient, though! At the same time, living around campus would be a great plus, too.
    ♥ Blog: Cultural Fun, Recipes, Arts/Crafts + Beauty Tutorials, Everyday Happy Life! | Flickr | Twitter | Facebook♡
    tumblr_loebp6mxH01qdsjn2.gif
    Currently: Flax Seed Gel (Organic Hair Gel!)
    "To truly Love, is the ultimate expression of the will to live. A heart that truly loves is forever young."
  • ilmilioneilmilione Posts: 305Member
    Not to sound condescending but is this need for a car an American thing? I'm in my last year and I don't have a car... I have access to one if I absolutely need it but I still just bus everywhere. It depends on where you live (here everyone buses to get around to school) and if you have things you need around you. I would LOVE to just bike everywhere, that would be ideal to me, so why not go for it? I also see why you wouldn't want one because in my view, having a car does tie you down because it's maintenance and you need to be very careful with it. I suggest you skip out on getting a car.
    elevatormusic
  • 한스 ㅋㅋ한스 ㅋㅋ jifewohoefncei Posts: 4,659Member

IDOL

I dun drive to uni, I don't know anyone that drives to uni except for one.

My uni is in town, and i dnt know where you are, but in where I live, parking in town is a pinkberry, and it can cost at LEAST $10 EACH DAY.
    now if you are jobless that is simply my happy poopoo.
    not to mention that traffic is a pinkberry as well. If I were to use a car It will take me at least 90 mins to get to uni but if I use bus it will only take 30min MAX (cuz theres a bus lane).

Bus is far more cheaper for me, I'm sure its cheaper everywhere.

having a car is convenient, dats kinda obvious lol.
    but not for going to uni, imo.

I would rather live close to uni, biking is really good (provided that its safe), I mean its a good exercise and is healthy.
    I love walking and personally I purposely stop further from uni so that I walk.

thats just me. my uni is in town, so, its pretty convenient.
    and driving to town is just the last thing you would ever do whether its going for work, or whatever.
    if you uni is not in city central, then you prob won't face my problem.

SUPERSTAR

edited September 2011
    ilmilione wrote on 16 September 2011 - 10:39 PM:

Not to sound condescending but is this need for a car an American thing?

It may be an american thing in terms of how spread apart places are.

I live in a place where the bank is next door, grocery's next door, sushi place is next door, public transportation is next door, game store is next door, mall is next door, work is pretty close, etc.

Car probably isn't the most important asset to have in that scenario, but most people probably aren't as luxurious.
  • odaesanodaesan 러브홀릭 Posts: 2,165Member

IDOL

I don't need a car because there are many buses that run throughout this area. The buses here also take us very far.

I also don't have a car because I'm not one of those kids who get cars on their birthdays or anything. I have a large debt right now and I intend to pay it all before settling outside the country.

• dorkafied!dorkafied! meow. CANADA EY. Posts: 4,999Member

IDOL

Honestly it's easier to live close to uni, I'm from a small city and it's really easy to go around to places by bussing. Saves the environment too! 

My uni is where downtown is, and parking is such a pain in the Richard Simmons to find and troublesome. Plus it gets pricey ($2 for 1 hour, really? -__-)

The only great thing about having a car is just getting to places whenever you want to, in a shorter amount of time :P

SUPERSTAR

dorkafied! wrote on 17 September 2011 - 05:31 PM:

The only great thing about having a car is just getting to places whenever you want to, in a shorter amount of time :P

Some people are also unfortunate to live in highly congested areas where you'd be better off walking than driving :wacko:

Well, anything's better than rush-hour in china I suppose.
  • Taylor MinTaylor Min Posts: 311Member
    My first year of college I didn't have a car. Now I have a car but I don't have it. Does that make sense? LOL!

Anyway, my mom is currently using my car since her vehicle is under repair. It doesn't bother me...since I don't go out much (no job to put gas in the car or have fun in another town) :mellow:

To answer your question. You don't need a car but it is convenient to have if you think it would be convenient for you (socially, getting from point A to point B, something personal about asking for rides, et cetera).

My first year..if I needed to go to the store I had to ask people to take me (people who were friendly with me, vice versa). That was manageable. Sometimes I wouldn't like asking for myself so I compromised that if the person (with the car) was ever going into town..please let me know. Another scenario..if I wanted to go home for the weekend..I rode with my roommate (we come from the same town). There was a guy who graduated with me who offered me rides home as well...never accepted though.

But as others mentioned...it depends on how close things are or aren't (stores, et cetera) and things that should help you make the decision.

• mizzmacy08mizzmacy08 Mn, USPosts: 662Member
    I've been living in dorms since freshman year of college therefore i don't need a car at the moment. Good thing i work on campus too !
    "Don't live without dreams..."
    Facebook?
    Visit my 411
    Smile Always <3
  • smileyface(:smileyface(: SHINee :D Fremont, CAPosts: 2,039Member
    I don't live on campus and my school is a good 30 miles away from my house.. So a car is necessary unless i take the bus which probably takes 2 hours to get to my school :|
    But I'd rather live closer to campus than drive D: more convenient and no need to pay for gas.
    [ Lovely b-set made by Jeanniev. ]
  • tonytony Brooklyn, NYPosts: 495Member

ROOKIE

If I went to college back home in NYC, a car is absolutely unnecessary. The public transportation would probably be a lot cheaper and faster.

But where I'm attending college, I need a car. Sure, I can live on or near campus, and buy food in campus, but having a car allows me to live 10 minutes further from campus for less than half the rent ($350 compared to $700+ per month). That makes up more than enough for gas and maybe maintenance. It also allows me to get better food and groceries off campus for less money. And the convenience of being able to go anywhere I want without asking anyone to give me a ride.
  • blushblush vegasPosts: 1,738Member

IDOL

Mannosuke wrote on 17 September 2011 - 01:54 PM:

It may be an american thing in terms of how spread apart places are.

I live in a place where the bank is next door, grocery's next door, sushi place is next door, public transportation is next door, game store is next door, mall is next door, work is pretty close, etc.

Car probably isn't the most important asset to have in that scenario, but most people probably aren't as luxurious.

I agree that it may be an American thing... yeahh. lol.

Well, I'm from the states but am currently studying abroad. Before I went abroad (currently in London), I really did not NEED a car, but it made my life so so SOOOO much easier. Carrying loads of groceries was so much easier and so was just getting around to places. Here in London, I have to walk everywhere or take public transport. Where I used to live in the states, public transport really sucked so I couldn't rely on bussing around to carry my groceries and we did not have an underground system. In London, there is a bus stop on almost every corner and a tube station on almost every other corner. It's easy to navigate BUT having a car to carry my groceries would still be 058034958039458034958034985x easier.

Umm... but I live in a big city now and like @tony said, public transportation gets you places fast and easy. If you live in a place where public transportation is more shunned (like where I lived in the states), then getting a car may be the best idea. Back in the states, nobody really used public transportation at all, except those under the poverty line... so honestly, a lot of crime would also happen on buses and people would stray away from it and just bike if they can.
  • k0yangik0yangi Posts: 8Member
    I live in the valley the blocks here are huge.  HUGE.  Everything is so spread apart and really far from each other, but I'm surviving just fine without a car.  I have a bike and the bus ($16 monthly pass which beats gas money for sure).  I live about a mile and half away from school and all I can say is I'm glad I'm not driving because finding a parking space at my college's lot is impossible.  I get more time to sleep bc I don't have to waste time driving and finding a parking spot, plus I can just park my "vehicle" right in front of my class.  Nothin' better than that.
  • akycakyc Berkeley, CAPosts: 69Member
    You really shouldn't be asking people from other universities if they need cars for where they attend, because it depends on what's around your area. A lot of previous posts say it's an American thing to do but it only occurs with certain places. I'm American and at my university, having a car would be nice if you ever need to go to surrounding cities or if you participate in any clubs, but it does come with a lot of added stress so most people don't drive here. For example, parking can be quite costly (unless you park on the street, which may not always be available). Or people may try to take advantage of you: my roommate had a car and his friends would inconsiderately demand that he drive them around so that they could handle their errands. I would always just walk to class (some people bike if it's far), take the bus whenever I needed groceries, and my hometown is two cities away so if I ever needed the car for a weekend getaway I would just take the subway back home, grab my car, and use it for the weekend.

So like I said before, ask older students at your own university to see if a car is actually necessary.
    twinklingstarskaryee
  • biglaughterbiglaughter CaliforniaPosts: 152Member
    it would be convenient to have one, but it's not necessary. I have a car, but I prefer taking the bus because it's a lot CHEAPER and you dont have worry about parking spaces or tickets...lol
    twinklingstars
  • jdbsdjbds233jdbsdjbds233 Posts: 11Member
    It really depends on the kind of place you live at. For me personally I choose to bike. Now that is given that my school is only a 10 minute bike ride and my work is only 20 minutes from my home. Also groceries I have someone that has a car and we split groceries and gas to reduce cost (we buy in bulk and it would be really difficult to carry it any other way).

There is another option for you though. You could just get a motorcycle/moped. Depending on what kind of weather your area has (here is pretty consistently warm with only mild cold winters/no snow). I allows you to go to further distances without hassle. But again thats if the problem limiting your social life has to do with distance. Mopeds are only a couple hundred to maybe a thousand or so if you get good deals. So think of it as having a fancy expensive bike.lol. As far as spending money on gas, its a pretty good option. I only spent about $10 for about a week of using a motorcycle. 

If you decide to go for a car though, Id advise to get something that gets good gas mileage. Like a Yaris perhaps? (it gets about 28 city to 33 highway).

For college in my opinion unless you absolutely NEED one, dont get one.

• Want2LoveUWant2LoveU Posts: 934Member
    All my cousins in America have cars went they entered college, but I live in Canada and the public transportation is adequate to meet my needs. However, my cousins did tell me in America the public transportation sucks and takes forever.
    Come, Hotaru! I Can Finally Touch You.
  • _eunha__eunha_ Posts: 295Member
    I don't have a car because I live on campus. Everything is within walking distance and there are buses shuttling to the center of town and around my giant campus. The buses are pretty reliable and I've hadn't had a problem with them. A lot of my friends have cars and don't mind driving me and if they drive me a lot I put in gas money. Plus, a car is just too big of an expense for me right now. Gas, insurance, and what potential cost of fixing it up (because there is no way I have money for a new car).