5 MP or 8 MP camera phone?

Guest Starblazerbon

Guest Starblazerbon

For smartphones I noticed they usually come with 5 and 8 MP cameras. Usually the full touch screen ones though.

Anyways for picture taking do 5 MP or 8MP matter much? do 8MP camera phone snap pictures at a higher quality than 5 MP? Are the difference significant?

What about video?

quality comes from software, the type of sensor it uses and to a lesser extent on phones the quality of the lens. this means different brands will have different qualities. if you compare late models of say a samsung 5mp and a samsung 8mp phone, the difference would probably be minor assuming both use similar technology.

video, if its capable of recording in HD is generally similar across the board. it is a standard afterall. there might be colour/contrast differences between different models, but nothing major that would be of concern. im not sure if current phones can record true HD, but upscaling would be a quality issue.

Guest Starblazerbon

quality comes from software, the type of sensor it uses and to a lesser extent on phones the quality of the lens. this means different brands will have different qualities. if you compare late models of say a samsung 5mp and a samsung 8mp phone, the difference would probably be minor assuming both use similar technology.

video, if its capable of recording in HD is generally similar across the board. it is a standard afterall. there might be colour/contrast differences between different models, but nothing major that would be of concern. im not sure if current phones can record true HD, but upscaling would be a quality issue.

what about Samsung, Motorola  or HTC? Which of these three have the best software and sensor?

8mp phone cameras take way better photos. It makes a difference when the pictures is copied back out to the computer. The iPhone 4 is a 5mb camera and the Samsung Galaxy S2 is a 8mp camera but both look great on the phone. However on the computer, the 8mp pictures look better.

Guest monkeyinabarrel

I agree with everything zantac_2 said most of the time megapixels is just advertising propaganda 

Honestly can your eye tell how many dots are on a photo if it's in the millions, you only need an incredible amount if you plan to print it larger than a normal photo size (posters) 

Google up megapixel myth

Guest Starblazerbon

I agree with everything zantac_2 said most of the time megapixels is just advertising propaganda 

Honestly can your eye tell how many dots are on a photo if it's in the millions, you only need an incredible amount if you plan to print it larger than a normal photo size (posters) 

Google up megapixel myth

Awesome!

Totally agree with monkeyinabarrel. In addition, I found something interesting which talks about the cons of higher megapixels in compact digital cameras (which I think can be extended to cell phone cameras.) The main point I found there was that making room for higher megapixels in small cameras may result in removal of the wall (called "septum") separating each lens. Removal of the septum causes noise in photos. So even if you have a high megapixel camera and you can blow it up to the size of a poster, quality-wise it is not particularly better.

Archived