What kind of food did you give to hungry beggars lately?

NPB-XK

Guest LycheeLa

Well! I wouldn't eat anyone's pizza crust but then again beggars can't be choosers! No Just kidding. Anywho, my mom tried giving oranges to this homeless guy but ended up yelling at my mom for money instead. :(

Guest mysassyboy

Hmm I haven't seen any beggars in my area but perhaps I'd spare them a mint or two if I happened to see one.

And pizza CRUST??? Lol

Guest dreamy21

Beggar's aren't animals -__-.. They're people too. Don't give them scraps lol. Albeit one time a begger asked me for money to buy food, so I went to the nearest McDonald's to buy him a burger..He looked mad and just walked away. lol I think he secretly wanted money to buy beer -___-;... 

Ah c'mon, as a matter of survival, it's heaven to eat pizza crusts over what Bear Grylls has taught us! :w00t: When we're extremely hungry, pizza crusts are yummy! What kind of spoiled society is this! Tsk tsk...

But of course a lot of beggars wouldn't mind cigarettes when they say they're hungry... kinda like how some asked for change so that they could ride the bus but once we give them enough, they walk away and go ride their bicycle... excl.gif I ain't gonna fall for their traps anymore! If they wanna ride the bus, I'll give them a bus ticket instead of change, and if they say they're extremely dying of hunger, why not pizza crust? With pizza hut sauce! Dellllllicious... :w00t:

If beggars are scared of bacteria from my pizza crust, then I don't get how tons of them took my opened beer can and drank it like a boss... and when they snatched my beer bottles, I yelled at them "NO DON'T DRINK THAT!" and they did anyway, without listening to me... they had to spit it out to finally listen to me saying that I peed in there... tsk...

Hmm I haven't seen any beggars in my area but perhaps I'd spare them a mint or two if I happened to see one.

And pizza CRUST??? Lol

Beggar's aren't animals -__-.. They're people too. Don't give them scraps lol. Albeit one time a begger asked me for money to buy food, so I went to the nearest McDonald's to buy him a burger..He looked mad and just walked away. lol I think he secretly wanted money to buy beer -___-;... 

I'm in the downtown area of a big city so there are A LOT of homeless people. If other homeless people see you giving something to another person, they're all going to ask you for something. And plus, they're going to recognize you when you run across them again, especially when you're that one person that's always willing to give something up. I don't like seeing homelessness, but it's just that one individual can't be helping out all these homeless people.

There's also other problems. Some people pretend to be hobos for a living. YES, this actually happens. lol. Some of them (if not most) lie to you. My friend told me that she once gave some money to a pregnant lady because she felt bad. The next year, she saw the same lady with the same big belly. If they get upset at you for giving them food (even if it's just crumbs or pizza crust XD), then clearly they had other intentions with the money they were begging for.

I haven't given anything to any beggars because in an environment where homelessness is high, you just can't do it. It's dangerous whether you think you're really helping someone out or not because you're putting yourself on the radar for someone else. There are other social programs that are meant for helping out the homeless, so if you feel bad or want to make a difference, help out in one of those.

Guest christelle-g

I might sound selfish, heartless,..etc but I never give anything to beggars. They usually come up asking for some coins to buy food at least that's what they say but they would actually buy cigarettes <_< and beggars are picky.

I gave money (for a bus ride) for someone last time...he didn't look like a beggar actually.

last Saturday a homeless man asked me if I could buy him a burrito, I told him to go to the St Anthony dining room for a free meal a couple blocks away and he said he knows, then kept walking, they dont want food they want money

every major city has a mission or something for homeless to get free food

ST.%20ANTHONYS.jpg

homeless man getting a free meal at St Anthony's dining room

^ I've heard from many homeless people saying that the foods given at the mission brewery (or anything like that) were disgusting and that they'd rather eat cat foods (in cans)... I also heard that some beggars make 30 000 bucks a year...

Guest touchofpink

Many of the homeless individuals will ask for money to just buy booze, drugs, or alcohol. While there are a rather few individuals that do use the money for food and etc., many don't. :(

I've volunteered at soup kitchens before and the food there is quite generous and good. They rely on donations from people and corporations and grocery stores. The food is cooked on premise and prepared a few hours before the soup kitchen opens its doors to the public. Some goods prepared are simple sandwiches, stir-fry's, soups, fruits, cakes, donuts, pasta, and etc.

Many of the homeless that come into the soup kitchens are very picky and get angry at not being able to get "more variety" and more 2nd/3rd helpings. Some are grateful and appreciative towards us, while some are just downright rude and mean. o_O

My only advice -- when you see a homeless person and they ask for money for food, just offer to buy them food or give them something decent. Never give them money.

Many of the homeless individuals will ask for money to just buy booze, drugs, or alcohol. While there are a rather few individuals that do use the money for food and etc., many don't. :(

I've volunteered at soup kitchens before and the food there is quite generous and good. They rely on donations from people and corporations and grocery stores. The food is cooked on premise and prepared a few hours before the soup kitchen opens its doors to the public. Some goods prepared are simple sandwiches, stir-fry's, soups, fruits, cakes, donuts, pasta, and etc.

Many of the homeless that come into the soup kitchens are very picky and get angry at not being able to get "more variety" and more 2nd/3rd helpings. Some are grateful and appreciative towards us, while some are just downright rude and mean. o_O

My only advice -- when you see a homeless person and they ask for money for food, just offer to buy them food or give them something decent. Never give them money.

the state gives homeless people a monthly check, Government assistance, but a lot of them waste it on stuff like drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc the same stuff that caused them to become homeless to begin with

and remember most of them are not good people, many are on parole or recently released from prisons and mental institutions, you may be giving money to a child molester, rapist, murderer, violent offender and you dont even know it

dont feel sorry for them, they caused it themselves

In 5th grade, a homeless man came up to me and said he was hungry and I felt really bad so I gave him a few dollars. I then saw him go to a 7/11 to buy cigarettes.

That was the last time I ever gave anything away to a homeless.

Guest cyndork

my mum gave a homeless person $10 once when she saw him going through the bin

when we came back from lunch, we saw the same man come out of a liquor store and he was holding beer :L

so from that day on, she chose to give juice or snacks instead of cash to homeless people or children asking for money

Guest illusionsz

There's this woman who holds her baby with her and begs on the streets all day, holding a sign about being homeless and hungry. She relies on sympathy from tourists, and the first time I saw her, I gave her $5 because I pitied the baby.. but I ended up seeing her at the same spot every day begging for money. And she doesn't even look homeless. I think it's horrible that she's using her baby to gain sympathy ._.

Guest humanoidm89

I feel like giving food to beggars is better than giving them money. But I've heard of cases where people gave them food and would get yelled at for the gesture. It keeps me from giving them anything now. I know it's bad to generalize, but I'm just too darned scared.

Guest Lila90

Leftovers if I have some. Not all homeless people do drugs or drink. Alot of people are just a few paychecks away from being homeless.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/hope-finds-a-way-the-working-homeless-2.html

Homeless is a complicated issue that isn't simple

Guest humanoidm89

Thanks for the article Lila90. I knew homelessness was more complicated than that; but what can help to differentiate those who are begging for money just for drugs or those that are begging so that they can pay for their children's clothing and food? I guess I'm spiteful and won't give the chance to any homeless just because of that question.

Archived