eyeliner smudging problem!! (pic inside)

Guest Come.again

Guest Come.again

help please
Hi, so I just started trying to wear eyeliner and I'm wearing maybelline's eye studio gel eyeliner. I used ELF's eye primer as well and I tried to set the eyeliner with eyeshadow like I've heard people say... but it smeared even though I did that. I was also wearing powder and foundation as well. It smeared around the bottom of my eye and just looked really bad. what can I do to keep that from happening? It's really difficult because of my eyelids or whatever. This is a picture of my eye.

miojo.jpg

Edit: also I only line my top lid.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zonkey

hmm if the primer and eyeshadow setting didnt work, you might want to try a different eyeliner?

Personally I've found that Kat Von D's tattoo eyeliner is the best and won't smudge at all, even if i sleep with it on [hehe]

idk if it makes a difference, but i use it with too faced eyeshadow insurance

Guest silntdreamer

My eyes are like yours and it happens to me allllll the time, sucks major butt -_- . I find that it always smears on the inner corner but not as much the outer corner. After putting on my liner I swipe Make Up Forever HD powder over it with an eyeshadow brush to set it. It's been working for me so far, I also use the same liner as you. Sometimes I just avoid putting the liner too close to the inside of my eye. For the outer edge, my eyes get really watery sometimes and this seems to have made my liner last just a bit longer. You can also try tightlining?

if it's for your bottom lashes, i thin i have a solution.

I personally think that the maybelline's gel eyeliner is horrible, and if I could use a cuss word it'd be S***

I stick with Mac's Black Track. The forumla is a lot more creamer and more vibrant and stays on much longer in a single coating.

Do you squint a lot. I noticed I do this which is one of the many reasons why my bottom liner smudges when I started using make up.

My eye water easily so I have to catch the tears with my fingers and be careful not to smudge the make up.

Do you use pencil or do you use a gel liner for the bottom. pencil stays on the lease longest. I find that if you powder the eyeliner with black eyeshadow it stays on a bit longer.

I don't think you ever state if this question was for your bottom or top lids.

you can pm me personally for any more questions.

Guest Come.again

if it's for your bottom lashes, i thin i have a solution.

I personally think that the maybelline's gel eyeliner is horrible, and if I could use a cuss word it'd be S***

I stick with Mac's Black Track. The forumla is a lot more creamer and more vibrant and stays on much longer in a single coating.

Do you squint a lot. I noticed I do this which is one of the many reasons why my bottom liner smudges when I started using make up.

My eye water easily so I have to catch the tears with my fingers and be careful not to smudge the make up.

Do you use pencil or do you use a gel liner for the bottom. pencil stays on the lease longest. I find that if you powder the eyeliner with black eyeshadow it stays on a bit longer.

I don't think you ever state if this question was for your bottom or top lids.

you can pm me personally for any more questions.

Thanks. Sorry I realize I didn't. I only lined my top lid. I just started with makeup really so I wanted to start small and so I only use eyeliner on my top

hmm if the primer and eyeshadow setting didnt work, you might want to try a different eyeliner?

Personally I've found that Kat Von D's tattoo eyeliner is the best and won't smudge at all, even if i sleep with it on [hehe]

idk if it makes a difference, but i use it with too faced eyeshadow insurance

Yah I was wondering if another eyeliner would be better. A more expensive one. I'll look into that Kat Von d one but I also heard that stila smudge pots stay well but I didn't know since it said smudge in the name. Or mac's liquid last...

My eyes are like yours and it happens to me allllll the time, sucks major butt -_- . I find that it always smears on the inner corner but not as much the outer corner. After putting on my liner I swipe Make Up Forever HD powder over it with an eyeshadow brush to set it. It's been working for me so far, I also use the same liner as you. Sometimes I just avoid putting the liner too close to the inside of my eye. For the outer edge, my eyes get really watery sometimes and this seems to have made my liner last just a bit longer. You can also try tightlining?

Yeah I'll try not putting it onthe inner corner because it's not like you can see it there anyway.

I yawn a lot and it makes my eyes water a lot so I'm by sure if that has anything to do with anything but it seems to smudge around the outer corner around to my bottom lid and I just look horrible.

almost every eyeliner smudges on me because of my oily skin.  do you use a mascara?  i don't know if it'll work for you, but for me, applying mascara to curled eyelashes from root to tip helps prevent my eyeliner from reaching my under eye lid.  try it, and make sure the mascara (one that you know doesn't smudge!) is applied all the way to your eyelashes' roots!  

Guest GloomGem

I think liners smudge for all eye types.

I have lids and I still have smudging issues but, to keep it at bay; use something liquid.

A good one would be 'Dolly Wink'.

But, for something more affordable go for Maybelline's Ultra Liner.

I find that it doesn't budge until you use makeup remover.

Also, it would help to carry q-tips as well.

Touching up doesn't hurt!

^___^b

Guest onFiRE*

If you do plan to go for Mac's Blacktrack, I would just buy Bobby Brown instead since the pricing is close-ish. The formula doesn't dry up as fast and it rarely ever smudges. I also use two-faced shadow insurance as primer. I can honestly say, this is the best combo ever. My eyeliner rarely ever smudges, even after I cry. =P

Guest e ; c h o .

I have the same eye type as you, you have hidden double eye lids, where your eyelids overlap. After putting on eyeliner, the eyelids over it on the top smudging. :/

It's happened to me too, I don't know an specific way to stop it, but I guess you'll just have to touch up.

Guest nebbalish

I don't think anybody said this yet, but consider buying a waterproof eyeliner.

I used to have the same problem as you: my eyeliner always smudged.

So here are my tips:

1. Don't use eye pencils (white pencil is good for tightlining your waterline) because they will smudge. Period. Always. They just don't like our Asian eyes.

2. Invest in a good waterproof eyeliner. I am currently using Makeup Forever's Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner. I think they stopped selling it at Sephora but their AquaLiner is basically the same thing. It's about $26 at Sephora. Others to check out would be MAC's BlackTrack and Stila's Waterproof Eyeliner.

• 6 months later...
Guest lisa30white

Hiya, does any one have any recommendations about the best practice to get the "cat eye" appearance using eyeliner?

Guest angierawr

Macliquidlast is amazingly waterproof/ smudge proof. Give it a try, if you're into liquid eyeliners!

Guest miran01

I have the same problem. I usually just use powder now but, it'd be nice to get a gel liner that doesn't move around.

Guest tinatran_

Try using a black eyeshadow to make your line first then add the cream/gel liner on top. By doing that, your gel/cream liner just absorbs up the powder and makes it last longer. If that fails, you could also try using the black eyeshadow afterwards as well. Hope that helps. :)

Guest Hearted

Try Lioele's real brush eyeliner, it doesn't smudge, (when you give it time to set) but water fades it. When it does fade it's a gradual fade without any smear! I have a review queue'd on my blog LOL. I really like it, beats MAC's fluidline, L'Oreal itense liner + pencil version, Milani Liquif'eye, Milani Eye Tech, and Maybelline Eyestudio gel eyeliner. You don`t really need a primer for it and/or eyeshadow to set it. I find no problem at all really. I tried those tricks for the other eyeliners and it didn't help to much. My eyeliner ended up smearing and smudging. I don't get that problem with this.

edit// I posted the review earlier <.< so you can have proof. Click here to view.

Guest delishnoodles

Hi, so I just started trying to wear eyeliner and I'm wearing maybelline's eye studio gel eyeliner. I used ELF's eye primer as well and I tried to set the eyeliner with eyeshadow like I've heard people say... but it smeared even though I did that. I was also wearing powder and foundation as well. It smeared around the bottom of my eye and just looked really bad. what can I do to keep that from happening? It's really difficult because of my eyelids or whatever. This is a picture of my eye.

*quoted image*

Edit: also I only line my top lid.

I have the same eye-shape as you and I find that I can wear the Missha gel eyeliner by itself without smudging. It's cheaper than MAC and other brands (at least in New Zealand it is...)

Did you also know that mascara can melt off? =__=;; Took me a while to realise but I've found that "priming" my lashes with a layer of waterproof clear mascara beforehand solves that problem.

But after 16 hours, everything smudges ahahaha >__>

But when I first started out with make up, I had the same problem. The only way I could solve it was to layer on my eye make up in a really thick manner... And then I discovered primers! I used the elf primer and it does not work for me... I invested in the MAC paint pot (in nubile) and it is just brilliant. 

Regarding eye pencils... The only ones that work are the MUFE Aqua Eyes. It just sets. And does not move. Oh... Actually, it can be punched off... So don't get into any fights, okay~~?

Hiya, does any one have any recommendations about the best practice to get the "cat eye" appearance using eyeliner?

As for the cat eye look... Though it's been explained many times, it's hard to grasp and get right. It's good to know your face and eyes and follow a natural line that curves into a flick. And there are different ways to do the cat eye for different eye shapes... I suggest you sit/stand in front of a mirror and imagine a cat eye on yourself... Then plot it out with a light brown/grey/sheer black eyeshadow first. Step back and take a look at your eyes. If there are any mistakes, make a note of them so that you take caution not to make them again. Then take a look again, is it different to what you imagined? Take a closer look at your eyes and note where you veer off from your vision and make a note of those, too. Once you fix everything, go over it with a darker colour to define it properly... If you keep doing this, you'll get the hang of it after a while and then doing cat eyes will just come naturally. 

If you have problems, it's good to be curious about every single aspect of it and ask yourself questions which you should try to answer by yourself. Mainly because there are so many tutorials on how to do the cat eye online... >___>;; If you can't get the hang of it while you have all this information available to you... You should become internally inquisitive. 

Sorry for the long post ;__; hope it helped...

Guest dorkhead

Im looking for the same thing, but for my lower eyelid/waterline! Even the bobbi brown smudges after 2 hours!

Just popping in to add on that every type of liner I've tried from Maybelline has smudged horribly. (The only one I've not tried was the liquid liner, which, of course shouldn't smudge. But I'm not fond of liquid.)

I stick to Revlon Colorstay's crayon for eyeliner, typically, if I don't feel like using a liquid liner, and it hardly ever smudges. <3

Archived