explaining why girls wear make up.

Guest Jeanyy

Guest Jeanyy

hmph.
so my boyfriend doesn't like me wearing make-up.

he always asks me why i wear make up. 

he thinks it boosts my confidence, as if it's equivalent to wearing a super short skirt and a low cut tank -_-

i told him it's the equivalent of why he gels and styles his hair every morning

but that's not enough for him.

so girls.. why DO we wear make up?

what do i say to him so he understands

O_O

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he thinks it boosts my confidence, as if it's equivalent to wearing a super short skirt and a low cut tank -_-

i told him it's the equivalent of why he gels and styles his hair every morning

but that's not enough for him.

so girls.. why DO we wear make up?

what do i say to him so he understands

O_O

Don't have much to say other than guys who worry about their girlfriends dressing up or wearing makeup have serious self-esteem/trust issues.

Guest GwendolynGuillotine

Just tell him that he should accept you whether or not you wear make-up. The debate behind make-up can get pretty endless, so it is best to not dwell on it and let it be. Plus, we can't speak for each other, but you can speak for yourself. :D

Guest epicpwnage

Wearing make up is like putting on a necklace or a bracelet or something. It's just an accessory. It makes you look better and you like it that way.

Boys >_>

gelling hair is not the same as wearing makeup.

makeup hides features perceived as not very good such as acne and freckles.

gelling hair is a style akin to curling hair, cutting it, straightening, etc.

facial features make up a HUGE component of how we judge a person. 

That's true, but I think the context here is that most guys have the mindset of "Why do you have to wear makeup? You've already got me, so who are you trying to impress?" I've seen it countless times and numerous soompi threads on it.

Should girls stop wearing makeup just because they have a boyfriend? Should girls stop dressing up just because they have a boyfriend? Should girls stop caring about their weight and completely let themselves go just because they have a boyfriend? Next thing they'll be complaining to their boys, "Yo man, my girl is dressing like a slob and is gaining weight...I'm not attracted to her anymore, how do I get her to fix herself up?" and if she doesn't, he'll go find an attractive girl who looks good.

Guys, get over yourselves. We don't wear makeup just for you.

Guest atypicalgirl

It's not necessarily to attract others.. I like prettying myself up cause it makes me feel good and also make-up is a form of art. Can do so much wonderfulous things with make-up. biggrin.gif 

Guest Clarasaur

I like what Atypicalgirl says :3 I definitely do not have the time or the patience to put on make up daily, but I know that I like wearing it because I like to feel glammed up and ready to rock, y'know? There's nothing wrong with wanting to primp yourself out. xD

Guest Laughing_Gor

girls wear make up for three reasons.

1. to feel better about themselves.

2. to let other guys stare at them to make their bf jealous

3. they're trying to hide something which means under the makeup she is really a guy.

Guest sunye~

i wear makeup mostly to I look fresh and clean, so I usually use just gel eyeliner/brown eye shadow, mascara and lip balm/lipstick.

it makes me wake up in the morning and get ready to walk confidently. I don't want to look like a sleepless, sick zombie the whole day. makeup does help me boost my confidence.

oh sometimes I do wear makeup in hopes of catching the attention of a person I like, but that's usually for parties, etc.

one more thing... makeup's fun to play with :)

Guest bona fide*

gelling hair is not the same as wearing makeup.

makeup hides features perceived as not very good such as acne and freckles.

gelling hair is a style akin to curling hair, cutting it, straightening, etc.

facial features make up a HUGE component of how we judge a person

How you style your hair can sometimes dramatically alter your appearance, just as make-up can. I've seen guys go from looking "eh" with bowl-cuts to looking pretty damn good with their hair gelled. Also, both are just temporary means of self-improvement. And although make-up can do wonders, there's a limit to how far make-up alone will take you. While it may be able to hide blemishes and emphasize features, simply wearing make-up will not drastically change the shape of your nose, eyes or mouth.

Guest knockblock

As a guy myself I see why your boyfriend feels that the reason to the explanation you tell him isn't enough for him.

One is something done facially. The other one... how is it alike?

That's true, but I think the context here is that most guys have the mindset of "Why do you have to wear makeup? You've already got me, so who are you trying to impress?" I've seen it countless times and numerous soompi threads on it.

Maybe they don't like how their girl looks with the make-up on.

I'm sure it's not impossible to look worse with it on.

Guest The-Entity

Maybe they don't like how their girl looks with the make-up on.

I'm sure it's not impossible to look worse with it on.

Ahree, There are a lot of girls who look nicer without make-up with it on.

You know how if you over-accessorize something, it kind of makes it less nice looking? That's what make-up does to some girls. 

Guest HERMIT

There's something in the reasoning that just doesn't jive with me. If your boyfriend is supportive of you (which I'm sure he generally is), why wouldn't he want you to do something that boosts your confidence? That part of the reason somehow seems to run counter to the actual argument being made.

Regardless of that first part, I think the second part is more telling and possibly more indicative of what's possibly bugging your boyfriend:

"it's equivalent to wearing a super short skirt and a low cut tank"

But you kind of have to set it apart and take a look at it more closely for interpretation.

Personally speaking, when I see a girl that's wearing a super short skirt and/or a low cut tank top, I do think of a couple of things aside from the immediate 'wow' from the mere visual brings. For one, it does cross my mind that the girl is perhaps trying a bit too hard if not obviously trying to stand out and make a statement. Secondly, after awhile it just seems outlandish and maybe a bit tacky and in poor taste. Of course, this is not to discount the initial effect of bringing attention to yourself, but I think even guys generally come to the realization that even super short skirts and low cut tank tops are going a bit over the top.

So with that said, if your boyfriend indeed equate your makeup to being like a super short skirt and a low cut tank top, he may be subliminally communicating that he just doesn't like the way you are wearing your makeup - not that he doesn't like you wearing makeup at all.

The situation kind of reminds me of how a husband reacts when the wife comes home from the hairdresser's with a totally new hairdo. She used to have nice long hair and she ended up chopping it all off into a bob and he hates it. But what does he say to her? "Oh, it looks nice dear." He has to play it diplomatically. Obviously, he just doesn't want to hurt her feelings because that's how she wanted it done. By the same token, maybe your boyfriend doesn't like the way you put on your makeup because he's now personally finding it too "over the top" for his tastes. Maybe he's the "boyfriend" now, he's suddenly gone conservative or something. Or, like the example above, you may have gone with a different way you are applying your makeup. In any event, rather than him not wanting you to put makeup anymore, he probably just doesn't approve of the style or way that you're putting it on. But he's put in a hard place because he subconsciously knows that it's probably more insulting to criticize the way your makeup looks because that's evidently your style, perhaps an extension of your personality even. It's just easier to say "you don't need makeup, you look fine as is". But I think the fact that he's equated your makeup to the showing off of too much leg (short skirts) and cleavage (low tanks) is somehow indicative of his true inner feelings of how he thinks you're portraying yourself in the way you put on your makeup.

In any event, maybe my little hypothetical above doesn't apply to your case. But what I do think you can do is this:

Rather than think of reasons to explain to your boyfriend why it is that you/girls like to wear makeup, you can approach it more proactively, constructively, and with compromise. Evidently, I don't think your boyfriend truly believes that he can get you to stop wearing makeup altogether. So rather than debate about it, see if you can actually include him in the process in some fashion or another. Ask him what shades or colors that he likes that he thinks also suits you. Genuinely ask for his opinion and at the same time, explain to him your tastes. If my little theory above does hold water, this gives your boyfriend the "out" from telling you what he hates about your makeup and instead redirects him to tell you what he likes and finds more appealing. Ultimately, you will be the one to put on the makeup, but at least you'll have a good idea that it would be something that you know your boyfriend likes and approves of. Hopefully, this kind of strategy would work at bringing up compromise, rather than perpetuating adversarial feelings.

Anyhow, Mannosuke and The-Entity have already touched a bit on this notion.

It may not be that your boyfriend doesn't want you to put makeup anymore - it's perhaps he doesn't like how you are putting it on that doesn't suit his tastes.

Guest AngelAngel

Just say: BECAUSE I WANT TO STFU!

I like wearing makeup sometimes because I want to pretty myself up or other times I like trying different colours and make myself look different. It's like painting on a canvas and you can try different things. I don't expect my bf to understand it but it's not hurting him in anyways so why is he so nosy? I don't understand why he likes horribly staged wrestling with ugly men saying really cheesy dialogue to each other but I am not going to try to understand that.

Guest IWBAB2020

Everyone deserves to look the best that she can be. Tell your BF that you want to look the best. Wearing make up is very natural nowadays, he shouldnot make a big deal over it. If he complains again, just ask him, what is wrong with you wearing make up? If he can't come up with a good answer then.... he should stop bugging you about this so unimportant topic. If he continues, it is time to get a new BF, seriously!

Sorry but your BF annoyed me. Any guy who complains about his GF wearing make up needs to get a life!

Archived