Long skirts vs. short skirts

Guest brinyblue

Guest brinyblue

Hey guys. :D I recently got gifted a bunch of long skirts, but the thing is, I have no idea how to wear them. Long skirts make me feel old and I'm just not comfortable with the idea (yet).

What do you guys think? :D Do you prefer long skirts or short ones, or neither? And why? 

I prefer shorter skirts, but if you can style them well long ones can look very chic.  Unless the skirt is clingy, try to avoid chunky or baggy tops. Wedges or strappy sandles look good with them, too! Assuming the weather is warm.

Guest OneSong

long skirts can work if you're tall, if you're kind of on the shorter side, they may make you look shorter than you really are. If you style them right, long skirts can turn into a maxidress style for the summer. Or if it's not too long, you can wear them with high boots for the winter. Short skirts are nice if you have nicely toned legs- you don't want the skirt making you look like an icecream cone for your bottom half. It really depends on what works for you and what style/material the skirts are. Hope this helps~ ^^

Long skirts look better with tall people, however, with the aging thing.. avoid baggy tops and cardigans. A tighter fitting top will give a more bohemian look (depending on the skirt as well). A pastel colour scheme can create a more feminine look. Shorter skirts don't emphasise shortness as long skirts do. Additionally, shorter skirts have more varied shape, which I prefer more.

Guest shikonari

As long as you can work it and act confident, I definitely think it can be done. Personally, I think they look best on taller/longer frames, but I think if you wear some type of heel, you can pull it off well.

143976527thofjuly.jpg

1377702lookbook.jpg

1312682maxilb3.jpg

1152879img9697.jpg

1140259lookbook1.jpg

1108862img7358.jpg

815321readyaimfire.jpg

809522warm.jpg

cr: Lookbook

Guest soiia

Long skirts to me are only a trend, because I find it hard to wear them. I'm on the shorter side, so I probably would never wear a long skirt, because it makes me look short. And tucking my top into the skirt to define my waistline is a possible thing, but I feel like it makes me look too mature.

I'm not into short short skirts either. They somehow show too much skin :D but slightly above knee skirts are great I believe.

If you ever decide to keep those long skirts, you probably should take a look at lookbook.nu for the many ways to wear them. It's quite the trend right now so your chances of finding inspiration is pretty high :P

Guest brinyblue

long skirts can work if you're tall, if you're kind of on the shorter side, they may make you look shorter than you really are. If you style them right, long skirts can turn into a maxidress style for the summer. Or if it's not too long, you can wear them with high boots for the winter. Short skirts are nice if you have nicely toned legs- you don't want the skirt making you look like an icecream cone for your bottom half.   It really depends on what works for you and what style/material the skirts are. Hope this helps~ ^^

Hm, well yeah I am on the tall side... and although I'm not into skirts as much as my skinny jeans :P , I felt like it would be a waste to give them away because they are really quite lovely. Its hot here so I'll probably be wearing them with wedges. I just have to overcome the whole 'what-if-I-look-old' mindset. Thanks this was a great help!

Long skirts to me are only a trend, because I find it hard to wear them. I'm on the shorter side, so I probably would never wear a long skirt, because it makes me look short. And tucking my top into the skirt to define my waistline is a possible thing, but I feel like it makes me look too mature. 

I'm not into short short skirts either. They somehow show too much skin :D but slightly above knee skirts are great I believe.

If you ever decide to keep those long skirts, you probably should take a look at lookbook.nu for the many ways to wear them. It's quite the trend right now so your chances of finding inspiration is pretty high :P

Erm...lookbook? I haven't..heard of it, actually! LOL. Thanks so much, I'll definitely check it out, because I'm so confused as to how to wear long skirts. Googling how to wear long skirts, the results mostly talk about older women wearing them which just emphasizes my current perception of them! DX I hope to get round that though. :D

Guest lychee_poo

I can't pull off a long skirt, I don't have the figure to pull it off so I stick with shorter skirts. I do have one long skirt that reaches my feet but I pull it up and belt it to wear it as a dress and it looks cute enough.

You could always look at Lookbook like others have said, but most of people on there are tall with skinny frames so it might not look the same if you compare yourself to them (if you are not tall and skinny).

I have the legs to pull off short skirts. My legs are one of my best assets. But, I prefer wearing long skirts. I have a bunch of boho/gypsy skirts, I like the boho looks. I also wear them to avoid annoying attention from men. Plus it's easier to sit down in long skirts, I don't have to worry about exposing my panties.

These days, I mostly see short skirts in stores so I came to like them more and long skirts make me smaller and much shorter~

I'm more of a shorts gal than a skirt gal so I don't wear skirts that much. But nowadays, because of the weather here, short skirts are favored xD

But long skirts look great because it gives that a person a mature, unique, stylish vibe (:

Guest AiMango

yeah i dont think i could ever pull off long skirts since i am fairly short. plus my body shape is just unsuitable for wearing them ;X Plus I'm afraid of getting them dirty easily at the bottom xD

Guest fuzibunni

I loooooove the long skirt trend! I've been meaning to grab me some next time I'm out shopping. My mom has some really nice vintage long skirts that I'm going to end up digging out for myself haha.

If you're on the shorter side then you could try wearing a pair of heels and see if it works?

Guest lala-123

Long skirts are so much fun to wear. I'd say pair them with cute graphic t's (preferably ones that go off the shoulder) or crop tops (you can wear a tank top underneath if you're not comfortable with showing your tummy). A really simple outfit would be to tuck in a simple tank top...It's important to remember to tuck it in for a younger look. Here's some examples:

trend-report-maxi-skirts.jpg

Guest PinkBeauty

I like short =/ I'm too petite to wear anything long. I would love to wear a long skirt or a maxi though....if I was tall.>.<

Archived