Thin and weak hair, falling out a lot

Guest momo panda

Guest momo panda

Please give me some suggestions on how to reduce it?
Hello!~ I have a problem, my hair is long but on the thin side and it tends to fall out a lot when I wash my hair. I mean not only a few strands but a small clump..abd being a girl who loves hair, I am rather worried. Especially when I put conditioner I see a lot of hair fall out! >-<

And when I dry my hair using a hair dryer, I use a barrel brush to brush my hair while drying it at the same time..

Because I try to 'volumize' it by putting the brush under the hair and slightly tugging at it [to create bigger hair] more hair falls out...can anyone please recommend or suggest some good products that you've tried which will help strengthen and thicken hair?

I'm scared that one day all my hair will fall out and I'll end up with bald patches or something..and what do you guys use to blow dry your hair? Any products of special brushes to give soft hair? My hair has flywaways because I'm scared to brush it too much when I'm drying it..

I think my barrel brush is too harsh on my wet hair..any suggestions for softer/gentle brushes for blow drying?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys <33

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CatImmaKittyCat

My mum is a hair stylist and she says olive oil is really good for the hair :) Leave it on for more than half an hour, then rinse it all off. Hopefully that will help! ^_^

Guest TVSJ18

I would second the olive oil treatment. What you can also do is egg masks. It contains protein, which will strengthen hair, and you can add some extra virgin olive oil to the mix. I've done it a few times, and it works pretty well.

Also, do not, and I really mean it, do not brush your hair wet. Use a wide toothed comb to brush if you really need it. If you need volume, blow dry it upside down, then style.

Guest dempurah

Ugh I've been dealing with hair loss since I was in middle school so I hear ya... Here are some tips I've accumulated through the year:

1. I recently started taking multivitamins and it has helped HEAPS. You may be deprived of some vitamins like many of us are so I think you should give that a try.

2. I don't use my fingernails to wash my hair. I know it doesn't feel as clean but just picture your nails scratching your scalp like that and you can see why it's not good. Instead, gently massage with your fingertips.

3. I don't put any conditioner on my roots because I feel like it softens my scalp resulting in more hair loss. (Also, I have super oily hair so I don't need any extra conditioning there anyways)

4. I don't do anything to my hair while it's wet. I know you're trying to get volume but pulling on wet hair is probably one of the worst things you can do. I just use a wide toothed combs or my fingers to brush out my hair once its semi dry.

5. I also coincidentally started using a new shampoo and conditioner around the same time as the multivitamins, so I'm not 100% sure if it's as good as I think it is but you might want to give it a try. It's the Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells great and my hair looks great too. I'm sure you've seen it around because I've seen it in almost every store that sells shampoo. If you don't like the smell of coconuts you might want to try the Moroccan oil version instead because I'm planning on trying that one out next.

As for your brush.. If you really, REALLY need to use a barrel brush while blow drying your hair :/, I've heard that boar bristle brushes are good for your hair. I've seen them as barrel brushes at Target so I suppose you can give them a try..

I hope some of these tips are going to be helpful :)

I have lots of hair fall out too when I wash my hair! I would usually wash my hair every other day..but I used to wash it every day and that made my hair dry.. What I do now is take multivitamins and BIOTIN. I still have some hair fall these days but it made my nails stronger though and I feel my hair has been looking healthier or maybe I'm just imagining things. Hahaha.

Guest ling_ling

I am going through the same thing!

This is what I do to try and prevent as much as possible --

1) take multi-vitamin OR hair, nail and skin formula - I have noticed that since I have been taking them, my hair has been falling a lot less and my nails are really strong now too

2) try and drink milk twice a day - usually in the morning with porridge (mixed in) then a glass before I go to bed - I dont know it is that helps but I heard it is good for hair growth and strength, soy milk is also meant to be really good too

3) Drink LOTS of water - the liver is connected to the hair, so drinking plenty of water will help cleanse the liver which will then help keep hair healthier and stronger as opposed to if you didnt then the toxins will go to the hair

4) Exercise - more to do with hair growth, but when you exercise the blood circulates around the body better, helping bring more stuff to the hair, i have noticed less hair falls now that i exercise like 3-4 times a week

5) Do not conditioner scalp - like the other poster said, conditioner softenes the hair, so when you are washing it it wil make more hair come out plus it makes root more greasy!!

6) dont brush hair too much - causes wear and tear which will make hair thin and plus the pulling on the brush makes the hair pull out which is bad for the scalp as well

7) Try to dry hair naturally - blow drying drys out hair more - so the hair is easier to break apart then

8) hair treatments - moroccon oil, olive oil etc - great conditioning treatments for the hair!!

9) try not to use heat, dye or bleach or perm the hair often - this causes A LOT of breakage!!

Anyway, hope this helps :)

J

Guest iPhets

if you must blow-dry your hair, try to use the cool heat setting, or at least a lower one. however, i've been dealing with thinning hair for the past few years and pretty much agree with most of the tips here. i'll repeat the ones i think are important/haven't been mentioned (i just skimmed so might have missed something):

-dont brush your hair when its wet

-your health on the inside is very important, especially when your hair is thinning from the roots and not just breaking off. multivitamins, biotin and exercise should improve your hairs condition A LOT. even if it doesn't, you're still benefiting one way or another.

-try not to tie your hair up too much, especially if you like it really tight. this will cause some condition which i forgot the name of lol :P

-conditioner is not meant for your scalp unless its formulated to be so. if you really want to put something on your scalp, try to opt for a shampoo specially for problematic scalp or use oils for hair (olive, coconut) - i remember when i was young my mom used to do this and massage my head and i had really thick and strong hair. its too messy for me now so i don't do it but it definitely works.

-try not to use too many products for styling.. i don't know if its just me but when i used to use gatsby and hairspray, my scalp would itch a lot and when i washed them out more hair would fall out =(

Guest leelee.

I have the same problem! I need to start taking my vitamins 'cos my nails are getting weak too. I don't think this was mentioned yet, but try to avoid shampoos with sulfates (such as Ammonium/Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) in them! I noticed that my hair falls out a lot more when sulfates are in it... I totally recommend getting natural and/or organic shampoo & conditioner.

The "correct" way of putting conditioner (as I've heard from professionals) is to rub it in your hands a bit then put it into your hair starting at the top of your ear. Run your hands through to the ends of the hair and whatever is left (it shouldn't be a lot) of the conditioner can go onto your scalp. That way, the conditioner doesn't weigh your hair down at the roots. I hope that made sense, haha.

Guest KhmerChinboiy

My hair is falling out also but like 10 to 20 a day when i push it around to style.My hair is very oily and have dandruff . I think what make my hair have dandruff due to the oily hair . and when my hair fall out the bottom of each strain of hair or the root a has a small piece dandruff on it. wat should i do any shampoo , suggestion would be great ?

Guest marane

Also having a healthy diet helps to. 50-100 shed hairs a day is normal, if it is really bad you should go and see a doctor it could be something internal.

Guest xxiaoMEI

im going through this too :(

i find that this occurs most of the time during the summer...maybe its the heat =.= is it just me or does this happen to anyone else only in the summertime?

ive tried tons of shampoos but they dont really help, what i THINK is helping is taking fish oil pills, they help to moisturize and strengthen your hair and i dont put my hair up or anything anymore.. :(

Try changing your shampoo. Buy one that doesn't contain SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) which may be causing the excessive hair loss. Stress could be another factor to your hair loss. If it is, try getting more sleep and exercising more. I'm not sure what else to add since a lot of people suggested really good solutions, but try toning down on the heat products. Let your hair dry naturally and use some sort of hair serum to put in your hair to tame those flyaways. Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz Serum Sleek and Shine does wonders for my hair. It's like a miracle in a bottle ;]

Guest x123x

I was experiencing the same problem earlier. I found a few things (well, not products but just habits to change) and wrote them in a blog post, and I'll just copy it here anyways :)

1) Keep your hair at a moderate length

Before I had my hair almost up to my waist, and the ends were just horrible. It was too long and I simply didn’t have enough nutrients to support such hair length.

2) Don’t wash your hair with hot water

It’s very tempting to take long hot showers in the winter, but apparently washing hair with hot water is not good for it (which I learned from a hair stylist.) Try to use something just moderately warm.

3) Use a moderate amount of hair conditioner

More conditioner isn’t necessarily a good thing! If you use too much, it could have a reverse effect and ultimately might be a reason why hair is falling out.

4) Don’t blow dry your hair (or only for a short time)

Again, high heat is an enemy for hair. If you have long hair and don’t want to leave it dripping wet after a shower, use the blow dryer for a short time only, about less than half dry.

5) Don’t comb your hair wet

I had the habit of combing out my hair while it was wet before I blow dry it. I found out that I comb out a lot less hair if I do that when my hair is dry. It might be awkward blow drying hair that has knots, but combing out the knots after it’s dry is better (and surprisingly easier!)

6) Minimize the amount of times you dye your hair

Chemicals aren’t good for your hair, and many people lose excess amounts of hair doing so (especially from bleaching!) I think this is an obvious one, but just listed it anyways as a reminder :)

7) Regular hair treatments

The best is if you have the luxury of going to a hair salon regularly to get the treatment done. Otherwise, there are plenty of drug store products that are also available at a cheaper cost. The key here is that it should be done regularly, not just when the hair is extremely damaged, because then there is only so much the hair treatment can do. You want to keep your hair at its best condition at all times :D

I'd also like to add that I have thin hair as well. Anyways, hope it helps!! :)

;x I've heard alot that nizoral shampoo is good for the hair but its prescription and a little expensive my mom used to use it on my hair alot when I was younger it wasn't very popular but now it causes so much o.x there must be something really good about it beside fighting dandruff and being medicated there has been some research saying that it helps with hair loss.

Guest mystic_0103

I would advise you first of all to try to go to dermatologist. You may don't have that much serious problem with your hair. Few years back i thought that my hair fall too much as you. I went to dermatologist and she told me to count whow much hair stands fall each day for a week and to write it down. For most people normal is to lose about 50 to 100 head hairs a day.

If you see that is falling more than that is the best thing to see a doctor. Hair loss sometimes can be caused by stress, bad eating habits, some infection, even season changes or hormone changes or being too harsh to your hair. So the best thing is to find first what is the reson causing the hair fall so the treatment can be adequate.

Guest sherryyummy

Try changing your shampoo. Buy one that doesn't contain SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) which may be causing the excessive hair loss. Stress could be another factor to your hair loss. If it is, try getting more sleep and exercising more. I'm not sure what else to add since a lot of people suggested really good solutions, but try toning down on the heat products. Let your hair dry naturally and use some sort of hair serum to put in your hair to tame those flyaways. Garnier Fructis Anti-Frizz Serum Sleek and Shine does wonders for my hair. It's like a miracle in a bottle ;]

I second this- what shampoo you use definitely makes a huge difference to hair loss. Remember what works for someone may not work for you, so take time to try and find the right shampoo. I've used a few brands of shampoo people recommended (Pantene to be specific) that resulted in MAJOR hair loss. Interestingly once I changed to a different brand my hair stopped falling out @_@. If possible also try to avoid unnecessary hair products and bleaching as it causes a lot of damage to already fragile hair.

Guest OneSong

Suggestions that I use/know:

- if you straighten or curl your hair a lot with an ironer? try to limit your use or put some care product into your hair prior and after use

- eat healthy, exercise as much as you can

- if you dye your hair often, try to limit as well

- if your hair is on the oily side, don't use conditioner everytime/stop use- it will make your hair more oily (oily hair= more fall out)

- if you want to volumize your hair, I don't recommend conditioner because I thought conditioner makes your hair flatter? (at least on mine when I use it)

- try switching the brand of shampoo/conditioner that you use (Pantene made my hair fall out more before I stopped using it)

- don't wash your hair everyday (unless you absolutely have to- i.e. sweating excessively from exercise,etc.)

- if you use conditioner, don't use a huge amount, a little is enough to make your hair smooth (it made my hair more clumpy and oily when I use too much)

- blowdrying: use a cooler setting and dry or use a towel to absorb as much water as it can to limit the time on blowdrying =)

- if you tie your hair up often and tight as well, it puts stress on your hair (roots) so that causes the hair to fall out faster as well

Guest Brownies_4Life

I use shea moisture shampoo and conditioner..and other products in that brand. I stop using chemicals etc in my hair, and just started using all natural hair care products. It works for me...I haven't gotten much length yet, but my hair is stronger, thicker and healthier.

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=shea+moisture&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

edit: Aubrey Organics has all natural hair products..I haven't tried it, but I've read good reviews.

Guest _to-delete2

In case someone haven't mentioned this yet: Biotin pills. Ofc you have to eat healthy and everything past mentioned too, pills are not the only answer.

Archived