Swollen left eyelid? What to do?!

Guest CINNAMONroll(:

Guest CINNAMONroll(:

What can be the cause...?
It's been hurting since Friday night, and today's Sunday. At first, I thought that my new kitten (I got him last Sunday) might have had pink eye so I became very cautious and started rubbing my eye to make sure there was nothing wrong with it and it started hurting like it was very sore. The next morning, I woke up and my eyelids were incredibly soft. My left eye was swollen, especially toward the corner toward my nose. it hurt more when i blinked and rubbed it. It wasn't very noticeably swollen though. I used a cloth in warm water to rub against it for a while, and the swelling went down a little bit. Then this morning, I woke up and the swelling was back again. I tried to look under my eye for the source, but there was really no noticeable lump....also, it is not very noticeable that my eye is swollen it just looks a bit deformed up close-ish...it's not red or anything. I'm really scared a stye will eventually form or I'll get conjunctivitis or something. My eyelid is still very soft, swollen feeling. My mother said there was nothing wrong with my kitten's eyes. What should i do? My mom said there's no need for me to go to the eye doctor. I have to go to a convention next Sunday, the 24th, and I don't want it to be like this or WORSE then!!!

It doesn't seem like the swelling & pain has been getting worse, and the area of my eye or eyelid is not red.

could it be because of my cat? i have a habit of rubbing my eyes so sometimes after i touch my kitten i rub my eyes........

Although most of the swelling occurs where a stye would occur.....there is no bump or head or anything.

--; Should I use warm or cold compresses?

Guest ai4teru

When my eyes swell I use an icy-cold washcloth.

Usually for me it's a reaction to acne medication (if I leave it on overnight) or from leaving the overhead fan overnight.

Think about any products you've used before bed, and anything like a fan or air conditioner in your room that might have caused it.

I don't know about cats. I just have a poodle. :mellow:

I've never gotten a stye or anything... it just looks deformed in the morning.

Try not to rub your eyes. You'll make it look worse and get bacteria in your eyes.

Just press the cold compress against your eyes.

I heard chamomile tea bags work too.

Edit: Wait, it hurts? I'm not really sure what that means. For me it's always itchy.

Guest lychee_poo

Does your eyelid feel kind of thicker and more swollen like there's stuff inside? It kind of sounds kind of like the start of a stye, I get them sometimes due to stress or my make up and I just leave the eye area alone and use a war compress once an hour using a warm washcloth. Using a warm washcloth against your eye will drain the stye before it gets bigger. I usually leave it on my eye for about 5-10 minutes. Then it usually goes away in about 2-3 days for me.

If it doesn't work and it's not a stye and something else then I'm sorry and I hope you get better soon.

Guest plumerias

I think it'll be very hard for anyone here to tell you what's wrong cause it could be so many things. Are you sure you aren't allergic to your cat? Maybe it's an eye infection? =/

If you can't get to the doctor, try taking some allergy medicine like benadryl, gently wash your eye with water and don't touch it.

Guest bibiwong

That sounds exactly like how my eye was before I got a stye.  Icing it typically helps the swelling but putting a warm tea bag over your eye supposedly helps more, so my friend says.  Try putting a warm tea bag over it to get the swelling down and do avoid touching it too much, more oils and stuff from your hands could clog the pores on your lid ( what happened to me and caused the swelling).  If the tea bag doesn't work, try going to the store and getting an eye-lid cleaning foam, for me that helped a ton.

Guest showoff

It's been hurting since Friday night, and today's Sunday. At first, I thought that my new kitten (I got him last Sunday) might have had pink eye so I became very cautious and started rubbing my eye to make sure there was nothing wrong with it and it started hurting like it was very sore. The next morning, I woke up and my eyelids were incredibly soft. My left eye was swollen, especially toward the corner toward my nose. it hurt more when i blinked and rubbed it. It wasn't very noticeably swollen though. I used a cloth in warm water to rub against it for a while, and the swelling went down a little bit. Then this morning, I woke up and the swelling was back again. I tried to look under my eye for the source, but there was really no noticeable lump....also, it is not very noticeable that my eye is swollen it just looks a bit deformed up close-ish...it's not red or anything. I'm really scared a stye will eventually form or I'll get conjunctivitis or something. My eyelid is still very soft, swollen feeling. My mother said there was nothing wrong with my kitten's eyes. What should i do? My mom said there's no need for me to go to the eye doctor. I have to go to a convention next Sunday, the 24th, and I don't want it to be like this or WORSE then!!!

It doesn't seem like the swelling & pain has been getting worse, and the area of my eye or eyelid is not red.

could it be because of my cat? i have a habit of rubbing my eyes so sometimes after i touch my kitten i rub my eyes........

Although most of the swelling occurs where a stye would occur.....there is no bump or head or anything.

--; Should I use warm or cold compresses?

It sounds like you have either a stye or a chalazion (a much nastier cousin of the stye).  I went to my ophthalmologist and he recommended that in the shower every morning, I take a washcloth, apply some tear-free Baby Shampoo in it, work the rag to a lather, then gently press the washcloth to the affected area, and do small circular massages for 5-7 minutes, re-wetting and re-lathering the washcloth as needed.  My lump was about the size of a kernel of corn, and I pressed him to just incise it, but he wanted me to try the washcloth method before he would consider cutting into me... and he was right.  It took about 2 weeks of daily washcloth massages, but it eventually went away and now there isn't any bump at all.  Just some food for thought.

Archived