What salary does a man need to make to have a stable family?

Guest hunga

Guest hunga

Question for you girls
After reading a post in this section, I see a lot of girls wanting men who are motivated, and hard working. But, I also see that some of these require a "stable" salary (AKA a profession?) for the family.

So my question is, what do you consider to be a stable salary, being made by the man, to support his family in this world now?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crescendoll

As long as it helps pay his part of the bills and helps feed us and keep us in a home, it doesn't matter to me what his salary is. But I do prefer that it be an actual career and not some part-time job. My boyfriend is currently in the process of switching careers to something that will pay less, but it's something he prefers doing and I would rather he do something he enjoys, even if it means he gets paid less. As long as whatever he is going to be paid is enough to pay his bills on time and that he won't starve. I don't need a guy who makes billions of dollars because I make enough money to support myself and I know how to save cash if I ever wanted to buy something.

at least $30-40k per year. however, i'm considering my financial contribution as well with this answer. family income should be around $70k/yr for decent/comfortable living.

the answers to your question would vary depending on the woman's values and beliefs, her current location of residency(some places have higher living expenses than others), her family background (what kind of lifestyle she is used to growing up), and her educational and career background (some women may prefer men who have similar educational/career background to her's).

Guest supertammie

^ 70,000 is humble? o_o

I thought perhaps fifty thousand would be sufficient. Perhaps I was mistaken...

Children are expensive. Ideally, I'd like both myself and my husband each to be able to make enough to support our family in the event that one of us is out of work, but all I really want is to not have to worry about money...not so much that there is a large excess.

We want at least two kids, maybe four. We're going to need at least a 4-5 bedroom house and two cars, so there'll definitely be mortgages and car notes plus car insurance, homeowners insurance, health insurance, life insurance, property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, etc.

There's also electricity, gas, water, food, phone, and fuel.

We'll want to send our kids to private school for sure and eventually university.

My boyfriend's currently in a pre-dental program and will soon be in dental school, so....student loans for sure. (I go to a local university on scholarships that I'll most likely attend for graduate school on scholarship as well). I'll have to wait until I obtain my masters to decide if I want to go on for my doctorate (most likely no scholarship for that). If there is, the student loans owed would be increased.

We'll want to retire one day and travel.

In terms of USD, 100k at the LEAST to support our family in one year, 125-150k to live comfortably. We both know what we want though, and not everyone will want ~4 kids that he/she would want to send to private school. Because I would want each of us to make at least 100k a year, 200k is what I expect as our combined income. With the excess, I'd like to invest into a few different things, but primarily I'd like for us to purchase a few good rental properties so that we can collect the rent in our old age. (Yay retirement!) Hopefully, we would have paid the mortgages off of those properties by the time we retire as well.

I want to put down at least a quarter on our residence so we can pay off the house before the eldest goes to university.

50k Is not enough, not even close.

Guest 한스 ㅋㅋ

this is a load of bullcrap

my family makes WAY less than $50k per year (mind u its a much lower currency than US)

yet we're a happy family.

of course, people's definition of happiness varies.

now im just a kid who knows nothing of incomes and mini cooper, but I guess it would also depend on how well u can manage ur money.

if u get 70k pa, but u buy a G to the max car, and ur wife demands u to buy her branded things everytime, the concept of stable is gonna be useless.

he's gonna run out of money sooner or later.

happy now sad later.

this is a load of bullcrap

my family makes WAY less than $50k per year (mind u its a much lower currency than US)

yet we're a happy family.

of course, people's definition of happiness varies.

now im just a kid who knows nothing of incomes and mini cooper, but I guess it would also depend on how well u can manage ur money.

if u get 70k pa, but u buy a G to the max car, and ur wife demands u to buy her branded things everytime, the concept of stable is gonna be useless.

he's gonna run out of money sooner or later.

happy now sad later.

I agree. My parents don't even make that much and we're quite "stable". There was never once in my life where I did not have enough clothes to wear, food to eat, money to buy stuff I want.

It just depends on how you manage your money.

My siblings make four/five times has much as my parents. They have nice homes, cars, clothes but I wouldn't say they're as stable as us considering the significant amount of money they invest annually into their businesses and such and how they raise their kids.

Oh and trust me, my parents don't ask for their help.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you don't need tons of money to have a stable family; It really depends on what kind of life you want to live and how you define the term 'stable'. For my parents, 30-50k is already enough to live a humble yet 'stable' life. For me, I want a more upscale lifestyle, so that's definitely not enough for me.

Nevertheless, they're both stable lifestyles as long as no one gets involved with risky stuff (like stock... unless my future husband is into business and knows what he's doing).

Guest Merit

100K is good for a family where the wife doesn't work. (for me anyway)

But to boil it down it depends on how one manage the money. Some makes over 150+ and they are stil in the hole because of mismanagement. And I've seen some makes 30-40K a year with the wife staying home with 4 kids and is doing very well with enough money in the bank for back up.

Guest nauticalblue

You don't necessarily need 100K in household income to support a family. It's more a matter of how the money is managed. Of course, that'd be stretch if you were trying to support an entire family on 20K a year, but you don't need huge incomes either. I've seen people live comfortably on 65K household incomes for families with two children. When I was young, my father made 30K a year and my mother was unemployed, and we still got by (maybe not with the most comfortable lifestyle, but we were doing alright and didn't really have major financial issues). Then when my father switched jobs and started making 90K a year, we were maybe one of the wealthiest households in the neighborhood (poor neighborhood) and people saw such an income as almost excessive. Personally, I think that a household income of about 75K or above is a pretty comfortable place to be (given that there are only a few children, not a multitude of them). But again, it's a matter of how the money is managed.

Guest ShinnOne

It all depends on your lifestyle.  For my fam, my parents make around 80k combined and we live comfortably considering we're a pretty big family. (4 boys, two in college)

Guest Malice_Kaiser

70,000 humble? :mellow:

You know people like school teachers only make like 35,000 a year, right? A lot of degrees will not get you 70k.

I can't believe anyone would see 100k as "I can't complain." As someone who grew up in a 50-60k household with five people, I would be THRILLED to be making 100k with my husband later in life...

Guest kireisnowtenshi

I consider a stable salary anything over 20,000 a year. It can support a family depending on what type of family he has or wants.

If im married I do plan to have separate accounts for money and all so as long as he's making enough to take care of me and him and Im happy and im not in want of anything I dont think money would be the main focus.

Guest HelloKitty1430280004

My dad makes $1.2 million a year and it's pretty nice so I wouldn't mind my man make that much

w00t.gif:w00t:w00t.gif

lol jk. For minimum salary, I'd say about $50K this is if the family is just us two and if we both are debt-free. $50K is enough for us to survive and live comfortably. We wouldn't starve.

Guest INFP

Well I would be fine with 100k married.

But the thing is this, with economies rapidly changing + Job market always changing due to technology and stuff + World/government evolving. I would say no salary is promised because anything could happen in the upcoming years.

Guest c0lap1nada

Humble living and content: ~$70,000 (but your spouse will probably need to work as well)

Lol do you know how many people earn less than that /yr?

I think a stable family = decent salary and good money saving skills. Who the hell cares if they earn -insertamount- but throw around change like it's next to nothing...

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

Idk about America, but I'd like my husband to earn £100,000. My parents earn around £75,000 but we don't live a life of luxury or anything like that. So yeah I think I can make an informed decision...? :)

Archived