Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Acne thread (mods please close)

Comments

• hot-chocolatehot-chocolate FrancePosts: 311Member

ROOKIE

ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey guys a new video up! Please check the first post for the new video. It is a short but important video. =)
    I am a sucker for KIM HYUN JOONG.
    ThexxAcnexxChick's thread - A place to discuss acne and help acne sufferers.
    My YouTube channel - A place to discuss acne and beauty.
    FloralAnatomy - A place for makeup!
  • jellykrystleeejellykrystleee Posts: 26Member
    edited May 2011
    Woah, I came back to read through the thread and it was very insightful!
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated by their acne..when I first got acne I thought only products could fix it ..:x
    When I was in year 9 I got minor pimples but then I started getting lumps (cyst?) and whiteheads. Through out that year I tried clearasil and clean and clear but my face actually got way worse...probably didn't help that my diet wasn't good either....x_x
    When I got to year 10 I decided to look on youtube for answers or solutions for my acne, I came across bubzbeauty and she had skin care videos about how she used to have acne and such so when my mum went overseas I asked her to buy me laneige products and I started drinking more water. I used them for about a little over 4 months but it didn't really affect my skin at all, it stayed the same but my skin felt clean? I think maybe my skin got immune to it or something XD
    So then my mum took me to the doctor because I was getting pretty depressed over my acne and she prescribed me Differen, which if I remember correctly had BP in it,
    so I used this twice a day along with my laneige products and for the first few weeks I noticed a difference, my lumps were getting smaller although i still got whiteheads >.<
    Then when I woke up one I think my 4rd or 5th week my face was BRIGHT RED and itchy! I thought it had to be because of the differin since I'd never gotten this reaction from laneige products ;__;
    I didn't go to school that week because i was so embarrassed and just worked from home, I looked like a tomato! My face felt super dry and I was constantly moisturizing, this lasted for nearly a week D:
    I stopped using differen because I was scared of getting the reaction again and found acne.org, I got sucked in and bought their products....
    The routine consisted of using the face wash, then bp treatment then moisturize, first few days were good until the end of the week..I got the same reaction! T^T
    I hadn't even used 1/3 of the products so I just gave them to my sister since it didn't give her any reactions
    By this point, I was so frustrated with my skin, all my friends had clear skin and only some got minor pimples. I avoided cameras, mirrors or taking photos like my life depended on it
    I felt so ugly next to them and was always comparing my skin to theirs. I felt so insecure and avoided going out, my confidence had dropped so much >.<
    Near the end of year, my mums friend came down. I confided in her about my acne since I really trusted her and kinda needed to vent to someone. She explained to me that I need to take care of myself internally and externally and depending on products wasn't the answer.
    So I decided to start fresh, I started changing my pillowcases, stopped touching my face, drank lots more water and tried to eat more fruits and veggies..^^; I used clinique three step, type 3 since my skin is oily/combination. This worked really well for my skin and pimples weren't as consistent xD
    I'm now in year 11 and still using clinique but I get the feeling it's not working as well now? i've been using it for 6-7 months now so my skin could be becoming immune?
    I still have acne and scars but it's A LOT better than it used to be! XD
    I'm determined to clear my skin now since I let acne bring me down so much, heres where I am now...^^;;
    Can't wait to see more of your videos, they're so helpful! ^-^
    15052011725-1.jpg15052011727-1.jpg
    Edit: o_o I didn't realise I typed so much, sorry about that! Felt good to let it all out though =D
    hot-chocolateMystrillium

ROOKIE

edited May 2011
    jellykrystleee wrote on 14 May 2011 - 07:26 PM:

Woah, I came back to read through the thread and it was very insightful!
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated by their acne..when I first got acne I thought only products could fix it ..:x
    When I was in year 9 I got minor pimples but then I started getting lumps (cyst?) and whiteheads. Through out that year I tried clearasil and clean and clear but my face actually got way worse...probably didn't help that my diet wasn't good either....x_x
    When I got to year 10 I decided to look on youtube for answers or solutions for my acne, I came across bubzbeauty and she had skin care videos about how she used to have acne and such so when my mum went overseas I asked her to buy me laneige products and I started drinking more water. I used them for about a little over 4 months but it didn't really affect my skin at all, it stayed the same but my skin felt clean? I think maybe my skin got immune to it or something XD
    So then my mum took me to the doctor because I was getting pretty depressed over my acne and she prescribed me Differen, which if I remember correctly had BP in it,
    so I used this twice a day along with my laneige products and for the first few weeks I noticed a difference, my lumps were getting smaller although i still got whiteheads >.<
    Then when I woke up >.<
    Near the end of year, my mums friend came down. I confided in her about my acne since I really trusted her and kinda needed to vent to someone. She explained to me that I need to take care of myself internally and externally and depending on products wasn't the answer.
    So I decided to start fresh, I started changing my pillowcases, stopped touching my face, drank lots more water and tried to eat more fruits and veggies..^^; I used clinique three step, type 3 since my skin is oily/combination. This worked really well for my skin and pimples weren't as consistent xD
    I'm now in year 11 and still using clinique but I get the feeling it's not working as well now? i've been using it for 6-7 months now so my skin could be becoming immune?
    I still have acne and scars but it's A LOT better than it used to be! XD
    I'm determined to clear my skin now since I let acne bring me down so much, heres where I am now...^^;;
    Can't wait to see more of your videos, they're so helpful! ^-^
    *quoted image**quoted image*
    Edit: o_o I didn't realise I typed so much, sorry about that! Felt good to let it all out though =D

Hello :) Typing this much isn't a problem. I rather have this than small insignifiant messages or oneworders. I'm glad your acne is partially subsiding and that you can to acquire good habits such as changing your pillow case often. As for the use of so many products, I do agree that is isn't very useful and is mire dangerous than anything else. Products, even if they may seem helpful and are shown to be sufficient, are actually not as they are shown. Why would manufacturing companies tell us about the side effects of their products? Basically because they don't want us not to buy them. The worst are the most expensive ones: Chanel, Laneige, Shu Uemura... The quality of the product may be satisfying but quality isn't safety when it comes from the cosmetological field. Another reason why these products are a hoax is the fact that indeed your skin because "immune" perse, to the chemical reactions that fulfill the goal of the product. I'm baffled at how people think that expensive products can help their acne. Personally my stuff aren't pricy and my acne prone skin is actually saying thank you I stopped using so much crap on it.

Maybe you should get a testosterone level check by blood take-up. Maybe you have the same anomaly as I do. If not, talk to it thoroughly with your dermatologist and help him understand you and your skin. I swear this is key to healing your acne. As I said in my latest video, you must tell your doctor the maximum of information possible about your health condition, and if you do have a certain personal medical problem don't hide it from them. =]
    I'll try to get a video up this week, so stay tuned. ~Toodles.

Edit: I also want to know what type of videos you want me to post! I have so many ideas and everything seems so important that I just can't seem to choose. =D
    Mystrilliumjellykrystleee

ROOKIE

UPDATE

Please check out the new poll =) I'd live to know what you think.

ROOKIE

ANNOUNCEMENT

I made a blog that I'll be updating regularly. =) Check it out and subscribe, follow, comment! Just tell me if you think it's a good idea.

ThexxAcnexxChick's blog

ROOKIE

Sorry for the absence! School is piling up on me. But I really want more opinions on what type of videos to post =D

ROOKIE

Hey guys!

I am really sorry for letting this thread down for a while! I got caught up in my finals and guess what? Now I am so done with them. I am currently on a two month vacation (call it summer vacation then) and will be very present from here in then. I have 3 videos waiting in my camera but I think I might actually re do them for you guys to show my current skin status after the long month of stress I've had. I'm not saying I'll have really extra bad skin right now but I have been suffering from my fatigue/sleepless nights/bad eating habits and stress.

Anyway I've been wanting to ask you all a question about your acne:
    When did it start?
    Where were you that time and on which area?
    Did you get rid of it or not?
    How did you do it?

In here for short, I want your acne story!

:)

Any suggestions our welcome!

- Toodles
  • Mishi-sanMishi-san Posts: 419Member

ROOKIE

Oh I haven't browsed the beauty section of soompi for ages!! I just wanted to add my story on acne!!

My acne began around the age of 17, all through out my younger teen life I was so proud of my skin, pale white, smooth like a baby's bottom and I will admit I was very narcissistic about it! 

But then came the cystic acne. It went on for about 3 years and It really made me depressed, I would never take photos, I would hate staring at the mirror, hated going out to the shops and bombarded my face with makeup and tons of cleansers and products that were advertised to fight acne. A lot of people would mention my face and how I should 'cleanse' it and I just go angry and sad that they never understood. My parents were supportive so that made me feel a bit better. I also met my bf at the peak of my horrible skin, and well he said he never noticed it but I'm sure he did. But he stuck around and I was very self conscious about it, when he came over to visit me I'd rush to put on some concealer! 

When I turned about 19, I started reading Soompi forums on skin! I switched my skin products to "The Body Shop" products and it helped for awhile and I got really excited but it came back ( I was still using heavy makeup at this time!) I then increasingly started reading posts about simple products and regimens, such as the caveman regimen but they seemed a bit extreme, so I only washed my face with water on days I was staying at home. I switched to cetaphil for days I would be wearing makeup and vitamin e and fade lotion from The Body Shop which I used at night. I then started using moisture sprays for days I was at home. I also changed my pillow case regularly and washed my hands whenever I was going to touch my face! 

I have to say, I'm 21 this year my skin has cleared ALOT. Of course I still break out during my period and its mainly a hormonal thing, but its not horrible cycstic acne anymore and I wear light makeup now, or try too. I also began drinking freshly made soya bean milk! and that has helped out my skin in terms of redness! I'm alot more confident now for the right kind of reasons and I have to say even though the acne experience was horrible it brought me back down to earth ( I was quite snobby, not very fond of my personality during my young teen years lol) and I know not to judge people going through the same thing as I did! 

So guys, don't be so sad. My dad always said it would go away in its own time ( I never went to see a doctor, but I desperately wanted too!) and tbh he was right! I'm not saying its the right thing for everybody if you can afford to go to a derm then go! but for me being patient and not stressing out about my skin made helped me a lot! Also people that support you and know how you feel is very important as well! My boyfriend still kisses my acne that I complain about! XD 

Phoar that was long! I hope this helps somebody! 
    marsyaf_love88jellykrystleee
  • tetteketetteke Posts: 96Member
    Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread! It always is so encouraging to see someone else step forward and share their "acne story" and help to spread tips about healing and coping with acne. I love how honest and upfront you are, keep it up girl! I myself have been battling acne for about 11 years now, approaching 12? I've gone from regular adolescent acne to adult acne to hormonal cystic acne. Of course, I've gone through several cycles of "yay! i'm healed" to "holy crap its back". Currently I'm actually in another low "acne is coming back" stage and like you, I've also found that starting a blog that tracks my progress and shares my experiences to be helpful - both to others and to myself. It's like a way of coping. =]
    *Visit my beauty blog!*
    A beauty blog for those suffering from acne!
    Asian skincare product reviews (BB creams & Sasa products)! Suffer from acne? Join my fight against it!
    hot-chocolate

ROOKIE

Mishi-san wrote on 02 July 2011 - 11:30 PM:

Oh I haven't browsed the beauty section of soompi for ages!! I just wanted to add my story on acne!!

My acne began around the age of 17, all through out my younger teen life I was so proud of my skin, pale white, smooth like a baby's bottom and I will admit I was very narcissistic about it! 

But then came the cystic acne. It went on for about 3 years and It really made me depressed, I would never take photos, I would hate staring at the mirror, hated going out to the shops and bombarded my face with makeup and tons of cleansers and products that were advertised to fight acne. A lot of people would mention my face and how I should 'cleanse' it and I just go angry and sad that they never understood. My parents were supportive so that made me feel a bit better. I also met my bf at the peak of my horrible skin, and well he said he never noticed it but I'm sure he did. But he stuck around and I was very self conscious about it, when he came over to visit me I'd rush to put on some concealer! 

When I turned about 19, I started reading Soompi forums on skin! I switched my skin products to "The Body Shop" products and it helped for awhile and I got really excited but it came back ( I was still using heavy makeup at this time!) I then increasingly started reading posts about simple products and regimens, such as the caveman regimen but they seemed a bit extreme, so I only washed my face with water on days I was staying at home. I switched to cetaphil for days I would be wearing makeup and vitamin e and fade lotion from The Body Shop which I used at night. I then started using moisture sprays for days I was at home. I also changed my pillow case regularly and washed my hands whenever I was going to touch my face! 

I have to say, I'm 21 this year my skin has cleared ALOT. Of course I still break out during my period and its mainly a hormonal thing, but its not horrible cycstic acne anymore and I wear light makeup now, or try too. I also began drinking freshly made soya bean milk! and that has helped out my skin in terms of redness! I'm alot more confident now for the right kind of reasons and I have to say even though the acne experience was horrible it brought me back down to earth ( I was quite snobby, not very fond of my personality during my young teen years lol) and I know not to judge people going through the same thing as I did! 

So guys, don't be so sad. My dad always said it would go away in its own time ( I never went to see a doctor, but I desperately wanted too!) and tbh he was right! I'm not saying its the right thing for everybody if you can afford to go to a derm then go! but for me being patient and not stressing out about my skin made helped me a lot! Also people that support you and know how you feel is very important as well! My boyfriend still kisses my acne that I complain about! XD 

Phoar that was long! I hope this helps somebody! 

Hi there!

Thank you so much for sharing you acne story. Quite a thrill to read, really.
    Now I won't add a very long reply to this, since well, I've read so many similar cases to yours. I guess patience is a vertue and I do congratulate you on the healing and clearing of your skin.

Of course acne shouldn't be the type of thing that would drive boyfriends/girlfriends away. That's just unfair.

;)

ROOKIE

UPDATE

New video up! Check the introduction post to watch it!

Note: All new videos have the word "NEW" right beside their link.
  • danceswithipisdanceswithipis Posts: 1New Member
    Before sharing my story, I just want to say that I'm so glad that I found this thread. Among my peers, I'm one of the only people suffering with acne that isn't mild so it's really hard to find someone to relate to. My close friends attempt to make me feel better by saying acne isn't a big deal, but it's hard to take them seriously when they're not suffering from it themselves. I watched all of the videos you've uploaded so far and it's really inspiring to see someone put their bare face out there and tell their story. I especially loved your video about coping with acne because my biggest project right now is changing my attitude towards my skin to something more positive. Anyway, here's my story.

I started to get very mild acne around the age of 13 on my forehead. It was so mild I didn't even bother to do anything about it - I figured it was just a puberty thing and I'd grow out of it. My acne was nonexistent to mild until the age of about 16 where I began to get moderate acne on my cheeks, a place I had never broken out before. These pimples were much more stubborn and painful than the ones I had gotten when I was younger. My mom eventually got me to a doctor and she prescribed me a retinoid and a topical antibiotic. For some strange reason I can't recall, I was too scared to use the retinoid and only used the antibiotic. Yes, my skin did improve greatly but once I had built a resistance to the antibiotic my acne returned and increased.

Then began the years of using over-the-counter acne solutions. The best I was able to do was keep my acne mild to moderate from the ages of 18-21. Due to the times I'd break out during the month and the type of acne I had, I had a suspicion my acne was a hormonal issue. Last spring I went on birth control and after two months my skin was virtually clear - no more cysts, at least. While I was ecstatic about this side effect of the birth control, it wasn't worth it to stay on it considering what else it was doing to me. I gained twenty pounds within those two months (I'm barely five feet tall!), it gave me severe depression and anxiety, and it also caused me to shed about a third of my hair. Due to this traumatizing experience I discovered that I'm extremely sensitive to anything that could mess with my hormones. I was heartbroken since I felt like I had to choose between having clear skin or being sane. So I stopped the birth control because of what happened to me and other personal reasons.

Now it's only been about a month since I've been off birth control and my skin has stayed clear. For this past month I've also been on a regimen prescribed to me by my new dermatologist - the same retinoid and antibiotic I was given last time but this time I've been using it as directed. My skin is actually the best it's ever been since before I started getting acne, I'd even say "glowing", but I'm still anticipating the skin clearing effects of the birth control to completely wear off within the upcoming months. For someone to respond to a retinoid so positively and so quickly is really unusual so that's why I'm thinking I'm still reaping the benefits of the birth control.

While I'm technically clear right now, I'm not celebrating or jumping for joy. Too long I've spent basing my self-worth on my skin and how I look on the outside. I'm working more on how to be less concerned with my vanity because there's so much more to me than just how my skin looks. So even if my acne does return in the future, it won't cripple me like how it did in the past. Right now I'm only concerning myself with the things I can control like practicing healthy eating habits, regularly exercising, etc. I can't control what my skin does just like how someone else can't control was illness or disability they've contracted. I never chose to have acne so it would be extremely unfair and rude for someone else to judge me for it. I'm doing the best I can to cure my acne and that's all that should matter.
    hot-chocolatekawaiiASIAN
  • konayuki28konayuki28 Konayukiss Where.the.ANGELS.walk.Posts: 1,171Friend of Soompi
    thanks for posting vlogs :) i subscribed!!
    konayukissnewlogo300x40.png

[twitter]Konayukiss[/twitter]
    Facebook

ROOKIE

edited July 2011
    konayuki28 wrote on 18 July 2011 - 01:25 PM:

thanks for posting vlogs :) i subscribed!!

Hi! Thank you for subcribing and I'm putting up product reviews tomorrow :)

danceswithipis wrote on 18 July 2011 - 11:29 AM:

Before sharing my story, I just want to say that I'm so glad that I found this thread. Among my peers, I'm one of the only people suffering with acne that isn't mild so it's really hard to find someone to relate to. My close friends attempt to make me feel better by saying acne isn't a big deal, but it's hard to take them seriously when they're not suffering from it themselves. I watched all of the videos you've uploaded so far and it's really inspiring to see someone put their bare face out there and tell their story. I especially loved your video about coping with acne because my biggest project right now is changing my attitude towards my skin to something more positive. Anyway, here's my story.

I started to get very mild acne around the age of 13 on my forehead. It was so mild I didn't even bother to do anything about it - I figured it was just a puberty thing and I'd grow out of it. My acne was nonexistent to mild until the age of about 16 where I began to get moderate acne on my cheeks, a place I had never broken out before. These pimples were much more stubborn and painful than the ones I had gotten when I was younger. My mom eventually got me to a doctor and she prescribed me a retinoid and a topical antibiotic. For some strange reason I can't recall, I was too scared to use the retinoid and only used the antibiotic. Yes, my skin did improve greatly but once I had built a resistance to the antibiotic my acne returned and increased.

Then began the years of using over-the-counter acne solutions. The best I was able to do was keep my acne mild to moderate from the ages of 18-21. Due to the times I'd break out during the month and the type of acne I had, I had a suspicion my acne was a hormonal issue. Last spring I went on birth control and after two months my skin was virtually clear - no more cysts, at least. While I was ecstatic about this side effect of the birth control, it wasn't worth it to stay on it considering what else it was doing to me. I gained twenty pounds within those two months (I'm barely five feet tall!), it gave me severe depression and anxiety, and it also caused me to shed about a third of my hair. Due to this traumatizing experience I discovered that I'm extremely sensitive to anything that could mess with my hormones. I was heartbroken since I felt like I had to choose between having clear skin or being sane. So I stopped the birth control because of what happened to me and other personal reasons.

Now it's only been about a month since I've been off birth control and my skin has stayed clear. For this past month I've also been on a regimen prescribed to me by my new dermatologist - the same retinoid and antibiotic I was given last time but this time I've been using it as directed. My skin is actually the best it's ever been since before I started getting acne, I'd even say "glowing", but I'm still anticipating the skin clearing effects of the birth control to completely wear off within the upcoming months. For someone to respond to a retinoid so positively and so quickly is really unusual so that's why I'm thinking I'm still reaping the benefits of the birth control.

While I'm technically clear right now, I'm not celebrating or jumping for joy. Too long I've spent basing my self-worth on my skin and how I look on the outside. I'm working more on how to be less concerned with my vanity because there's so much more to me than just how my skin looks. So even if my acne does return in the future, it won't cripple me like how it did in the past. Right now I'm only concerning myself with the things I can control like practicing healthy eating habits, regularly exercising, etc. I can't control what my skin does just like how someone else can't control was illness or disability they've contracted. I never chose to have acne so it would be extremely unfair and rude for someone else to judge me for it. I'm doing the best I can to cure my acne and that's all that should matter.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the compliment on my videos. I was quite happy to see such a long and accurate post in here. I know exactly how you feel about being the only one among your friends having to suffer because of acne, it was exactly my case. In every class, each year, I realiza that no one else had acne and I was the only one forced to look away while speaking to others because I was ashamed. Dealing with acne within the social circle is quite the challenge. But I am truly happy to see you motivated in changing your way of seeing acne and yourself.

Though one odd thing is about your acne increasing after retinoid and generic antibiotics. I took antibiotics and topical acne creams but I never had a bounce back with greater amplitude after taking them. A bounce back to square one is possible but it is quite odd to know your acne increased. My skin, even after antibiotics, reamined stable despite the reappearing of cysts and puss-pimples. I'd greatly like to research why it did so to yourself. If not, the bounce back you had may have been amplified but certain factors such as stress, lack of sleep, liver problems and sun. I'm underlining sun. As it was proven, sun is capable of drying up your sebum glands (or at least it attempts to), so as a counter attack to such agressive attack, those very glands will try to secrete more to keep the skin safe. But this will most possibly clean to clogging (ever notice how only skin can be when there is sun?) and once those glands come to their normal state and aren't agressed by the sun, they will produced the natural amount of oil. Knowing the previous attack of the sun might have gotten your skin clugged, the return to natural secretion will cause acne to worsen.

As of birth-control pills, I agree with your choice. Permanently taking pills/antibiotics/hormones (such a compacted ovarian hormones) is very unsanitary. We might not noticed it but these medicines, as helpful they may sound have really awful side effects on the long term. For example, my antibiotics multiplied the risk of me having an ulcer. I eventually got it and I am guessing it was because of it. Acne can't cause you insanity, it never will. People are the ones causing their own insanity by dramatizing and hurting themselves with awful thoughts. You were wise to stop medication as you saw the side-effects.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world to keep your progress. Give me news once in a while!

ROOKIE

Hi everyone!

Just stopped by to tell you guys that I have a blogspot and I'd wish for you to give me suggestions of what I should put in it, since I am not the type to do good with blogs.

Here's the adress:

http://thexxacnexxchick.blogspot.com/
    jellykrystleee

ROOKIE

UPDATE

New video up called "Acne proof". =)
    This video is an annexe to this very important blog article I posted here. Please read since it isn't a matter to be taken lightly.

http://thexxacnexxchick.blogspot.com/

Don't hesitate to follow/comment on my blog. I always answer back.

ROOKIE

UPDATE

New video up! It's a product review.

Here: Yves Rocher Botanical cleansing skin peel

ROOKIE

Hey everyone!
    Please take time to read my new blog article! It mat concern a lot of you women surffering from acne!
    Here's the article:
    Alerting PCOS message!

ROOKIE

edited August 2011
    New makeup tutorial!

♥Sandara Park INSPIRED makeup tutorial♥
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKncoe44WiU[/media]

Click here to view!

ROOKIE

edited August 2011
    UPDATE

New videos are up! Check them out.
    The blog has been updated.

Tell me if I should discontinue this thread.
    New poll is up!