How do all of you sing so well?

Guest Aikurah

Guest Aikurah

All of you a supernatural beings. Don't deny it.
It ends up with me always being the last. I always have the problem. I don't know how to say it. All of you perform so well when you sing. 

I get so frustrated whenever I sing. I can't sing a note, because if I do its all off pitch or its not even the note. People compliment on my looks and my dancing is considered far beyond than "average" at my age...I just can't sing. All the time whenever I freestyle, they ask me if I could sing (because they were wondering if I was worth recommending to an audition or something). Then I am partially dumbfounded because I remember how bad I sound whenever I sing, the other half is probably of shame because some people can sing like angels but dance...like...

I don't know what to put in that empty space. But you know its probably negative. I envy all of you so terribly tears.gif. My mother has no money for a vocal coach, and I taught myself dancing when I was nine and I saw hip hop competitions on the television. I was amazed with them moving so I copied them and I did it at school and the teacher told me to go to a Dance Academy but in a higher age group because my dancing was above average. My family cannot support that either, never mind the vocal training. After three years I got a computer and discovered K-pop. I mimicked K-Pop moves and now everyone tells me that I should seriously take my talent to the top. But how can I take it to the top when I cannot sing (don't even mention rap). Most of the time...I just wish I could swap my life with a vocalist and then teach that body to dance.

So exactly how did you guys get so great? I was just wondering. Did you train your voices like I trained my body? Or did you all just have a gift and I'm left here with a quite useless one? I am kind of desperate because I don't know what I can do with my life with just dancing and I have a feeling I have a positive chance of being accepted to train in Korea if I could sing. Because here I depend on my looks to actually audition if I have no voice. If I had a vocal teacher, I would sing out my guts because that is an opportunity that I could sacrifice a lot for, maybe even my dancing. I fail at school because I hate concentrating, and I clearly would not be accepted into college if I keep that up. But if I could work under a company, then maybe my life would survive. I know that being in the music industry is clearly not the best as an occupation, but I feel that all the other choices will slam their doors on my face. 

Any information would be treasured. If even one of you people can tell me any tips on how to improve my voice, that would be incredible. Also, I have the deeper and huskier voices and I am female. 

Guest SHINeeStars223

I just happen to stop by this thread x3

I`m normally not even in this forum.

But, i`m just going to tell you. I`m in the same boat xD

I can`t sing. even when I try. . . it just doesn`t come out right, no matter how I try x-x

And guess what? i can`t even dance either x3

I`m destined to be only a fan ~ kekeke.

But, maybe you can try to get someone to teach you? o.O ask a music teacher at your school?

or. . . hm, get a part-time job? .__. idk.

But at least you can dance. Don`t sound so negative. That`s talent already D;

i agree with the poster above. all i have going for me is looks! dancing..maybe average at best. singing? sigh.

i dont have the luxery of hiring a vocal teacher or dance lessons either.

so dont be too negative and stay optimistic.

the only thing i can suggest is what youre using right now, the internet. you can find a lot of techniques and among other things on the web.

and the most important thing is practice, as cliche as that sounds.

Well..for me it's like people always tell my how good I sing but seriously?

I'm average in ...everything. That bugs me sometimes ._.

You know like when you CAN do something but you're neither bad nor extraordinary good?

That's why I don't really think I have any talents LOL but that's ok with me now.

Don't be sad, you can dance, I can't though I wish I could. (:

Guest starzXshinee

Warm-Up your voice EVERY SINGLE DAY . Even if you are not singing that day.

Check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/user/EricArceneaux

He has warm-up videos and on his website, there is a site generator that will review your problems and how you can fix it. It really helps ! I warm-up to this whenever I can, and I DID improve .

If you have bad posture then you should work on that .

'Breathe with your diaphragm' .

When you are singing while standing, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart . Stand up STRAIGHT . And have your right foot slightly ahead of your left . This should work with your breathing.

If you are in high school then I suggest to join your high school's choir IF they are good . I was lucky my first year in high school so I had a top notch vocal teacher . [One of the best in the country :D] But then I moved . . . ):

And just KEEP ON PRACTICING ! But make sure you do not strain your voice . And if you read EricArceneaux's journey to becoming a recording artist, do not WARM-UP and SING the wrong way .

Also, when you hawk a loogey [if that is how you spell it], do not use your throat until you feel that scratchy sensation . It makes a disgusting noise and damages your vocal chords . [i think . I know it damages something!]

Instead, you want to blast a strong wind of air to get that loogey out of your throat. In other words, exhale really strongly through your mouth . It should just sound like air.

Hawking a loogey is not only a guy thing . I heard a bunch of girls do this in choir class so this was the tip my teacher gave us .

Plus, do not sing when you are sick . You can wait, it will not kill you . lol

I hope I did not type down too much and I really hope this helps you !

I became from tone-deaf to decent within a year of choir . And because of EricArceneaux's warm-up after choir, I just kept on improving . I have a low husky voice too so KNOW and SING your range or else it will strain your voice .

Guest imsosorrybutiloveyou

dont be too sad!!! im not great at singing either but working on it, since singing isnt a skill that selected people are born with. i read somewhere that everyone can sing but you just need to find what technique of singing works best for you (something like that..) and that some people just find their 'comfortable voice' faster than others (hence those children who can sing like hell)

dont be discouraged! its kinda like your dancing, when you practice and teach yourself you will learn and slowly get better ;]

Guest divinexoath

I'm in the same boat as you. I am very well-rounded in terms of artistic talents, like dance and drawing and rapping and composing music... However, when it comes to my voice, I have nothing.

I am a little put off by your comment about not liking to concentrate. You realize that you will have to focus more than you ever have in your life if you ever become a trainee/singer? With that attitude, they'd get very frustrated with you.

Guest Aikurah

I'm in the same boat as you. I am very well-rounded in terms of artistic talents, like dance and drawing and rapping and composing music... However, when it comes to my voice, I have nothing.

I am a little put off by your comment about not liking to concentrate. You realize that you will have to focus more than you ever have in your life if you ever become a trainee/singer? With that attitude, they'd get very frustrated with you.

Truth is I'm an up and down person >< it does get its way with me. I can sometimes concentrate/ focus really hard on something if I wanted to or if it was because I had large interest in it. Otherwise I slack off a ton. I guess they would probably beat the crap out of me to get to concentrate on something like Chemistry or Physics, but because it's singing thats just different. The only reason why I probably even get as well as I am at dancing is because of concentration. I hope I can sing...I have a lot of interest in it but as hard as I try I just fail all the time.

Maybe they'll kick me out if I even make it in. I know all K-Pop stars have to work their asses off to perfection, but me? Maybe I really don't have what it takes, but I would try. It's not because I am lazy or anything but to be a trainee; I pretty sure I would have to concentrate like you told me. But probably if I couldn't sing, they would boot me either way (unless I end up being a background dancer).

We're in the same boat. Woohoo. Awesome failure buddies at singing sweatingbullets.gif Fightin'!

Guest likelovers

You need to practice and train your own voice if you can't get a teacher. Pretty much anyone can be taught to sing (of course there's a difference between the naturally talented and the coached talented) but if you want to be like.. a Kpop idol, you can be trained to sing at that level.

So to get yourself to a decent level to be accepted into a company, just practice everyday. If you're as great at dancing and good-looking like you described, you'll only need a decent singing level to get accepted cos they'll train you the rest of the way.

I'm not trying to say it's easy to get accepted, but you don't need extremely amazing vocals if you've already got looks and dance talent.

Guest popcornpuffs

Cheer up! There's actually absoloutely no reason for you to not be chosen even now, if you can't sing. I myself am just average, in EVERYTHING. EXCEPT dancing. I can't dance for the crap of my life. Seriously. But back to what I was saying, no matter what the Korean entertainment groups say, they all look for people with looks and some form of talent. JYP Entartainment is known for accepting people who have a lot of talent, but also looks. SM Entertainment is known pretty much for choosing people with looks (a lot of forced plastic surgery rumors from them, however). YG Entertainment is simply known for choosing people with raw talent, and it's exceptionally difficult to get in there. Also, didn't you know? There are MANY. And I'm talking MANY, MANY, MANY Korean celebrities who got into their entertainment companies NOT by being able to sing. Some examples? Nichkhun of 2PM (JYPE) was chosen ONLY by his looks. He couldn't dance, or sing. Wooyoung of 2PM (again, JYPE) got in under a DANCE, NOT VOCAL audition.  Almost all of 2PM actually got in through dance. None of them are THE  BEST live, and I'm not hating, but they all got in because NUMBER 1 they  could all dance, some could rap, and some could sing. Minzy of 2NE1, (YG)? DANCE audition! There's a LOT more too. Yeah, some of them can really sing. But some couldn't! And that's why they became trainees, to learn all of that stuff with a vocal coach, dance coach, etc. For free too, if you got the contract, since it's work. It's hard work, but doesn't it seem to be pretty worth it in most ways? Also, do you have any talent in acting? Or playing instruments? Piano, guitar, etc. Everything counts in Korean Entertainment auditions. Just know, with looks and mad dancing skills, you can still get ANYWHERE in the Korean Entertainment Industry if you just really try and force yourself to the top! A lot of the celebrities now did just that! And you don't HAVE to be under those BIG COMPANY names either, to become famous. IU was under a really unknown company, I still don't really know lol, but isn't she very famous now? And you still might want to pursue education. Entertainment business doesn't last forever.

Guest Aikurah

Cheer up! There's actually absoloutely no reason for you to not be chosen even now, if you can't sing. I myself am just average, in EVERYTHING. EXCEPT dancing. I can't dance for the crap of my life. Seriously. But back to what I was saying, no matter what the Korean entertainment groups say, they all look for people with looks and some form of talent. JYP Entartainment is known for accepting people who have a lot of talent, but also looks. SM Entertainment is known pretty much for choosing people with looks (a lot of forced plastic surgery rumors from them, however). YG Entertainment is simply known for choosing people with raw talent, and it's exceptionally difficult to get in there. Also, didn't you know? There are MANY. And I'm talking MANY, MANY, MANY Korean celebrities who got into their entertainment companies NOT by being able to sing. Some examples? Nichkhun of 2PM (JYPE) was chosen ONLY by his looks. He couldn't dance, or sing. Wooyoung of 2PM (again, JYPE) got in under a DANCE, NOT VOCAL audition.  Almost all of 2PM actually got in through dance. None of them are THE  BEST live, and I'm not hating, but they all got in because NUMBER 1 they  could all dance, some could rap, and some could sing. Minzy of 2NE1, (YG)? DANCE audition! There's a LOT more too. Yeah, some of them can really sing. But some couldn't! And that's why they became trainees, to learn all of that stuff with a vocal coach, dance coach, etc. For free too, if you got the contract, since it's work. It's hard work, but doesn't it seem to be pretty worth it in most ways? Also, do you have any talent in acting? Or playing instruments? Piano, guitar, etc. Everything counts in Korean Entertainment auditions. Just know, with looks and mad dancing skills, you can still get ANYWHERE in the Korean Entertainment Industry if you just really try and force yourself to the top! A lot of the celebrities now did just that! And you don't HAVE to be under those BIG COMPANY names either, to become famous. IU was under a really unknown company, I still don't really know lol, but isn't she very famous now? And you still might want to pursue education. Entertainment business doesn't last forever.

This obviously made me feel better ^^. You should audition (if you didn't already) since you're average at everything. Being balanced is also something I wish I could be in life ><.

I really don't know what the heck you are talking about. Most of soompi are just okay singers, pretty good at most and I'm an absolute lost case so I only sing to myself and to annoy others. But I think singing just takes lots of practice eventually you'll start getting better!

And like JaeJoong from JYJ was supposedly tone deaf before and now I think he's honestly one of the better idol singers out there. Xiah Junsu is extraordinary ahhahaa...most of the time emotions > anything else imo.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest I.♥_Y0U ;)

Let me just say this first, I'm am not THAT good at singing still, more of decent. But I was REALLY bad at first. I started actually trying to sing like 3 years ago when I got my guitar and over time I got a LOT better. I noticed the difference and my friends does too. I believe good singing can definitely be trained, but it just takes time. So start today! Just sing a lot, enjoy it, you'll gradually get better by practicing singing more :) and what Ive noticed in the korean music industry, different members of a group have different strengths, and dancing is one of the things that gets a member noticed more, singing doesn't have to be amazing, just decent if you have other awesome strenths to balance it out ;)

Guest cleanchees

How I improved? I went to Karaoke everyday in Japan and just sang. And I also I watched a lot of singers. See how they sing, how they breath, when to breath and then I just imitated them for awhile and then created my own style with it.

Guest sixthgun

I have a vocal coach! I'll just list a bunch of pointers she tells me happy.gif

1. Never belt. Belting is when you're basically 'raising your voice' in pitch, it's bad for your voice and painful to hear.
  2. Do not use your chest voice all the time when singing; to know if you're using chest voice, place your hand on your chest and talk/sing something, if there is a vibration then that means you're using your chest voice. 
  3. Don't record yourself and think negatively about your voice; it isn't the final product! Practice really does make perfect.
  4. Nerves take away 50% of your voice, so never blame yourself.
  5. Don't suck in your stomach or 'push' your diaphragm too hard when singing; relax.
  6. Always warm up before singing and drink water. I've heard that apples (not apple juice) are known to 'coat' your throat with their juice (?) and it should help you sing easier. huh.gif
  7. Know the difference between head and chest voice.
  8. Don't close your eyes all the time when singing; be confident.
  9. Loosen up your lips and jaw.
I hope this helped ): 

To be honest, I remember having previous conversations with others where we agreed that everybody can sing. No, seriously. Of course, not all people can sing well, and I take it that that's the main issue here, but if you are born with a voice, chances are that you are able to sing. Now, there are those who are born with naturally good voices, and those who aren't. Those who aren't have to practice and hone their skills and talents just to match up with those who were just born with it. Yes, it's unfair, but that's how life works. I belong to the latter category. I don't consider my voice, the tone of it, to be particularly unique or amazing, but because I've worked to develop my singing over the years, I am able to be considered as a better singer than many other people who were born with better voices than me, simply because of the level of skill I am able to develop through consistent practice and experience. Of course, I can feel down sometimes too when I hear someone with a better voice than me, and without any effort at all, but it spurs me on to do better next time. If you'd like, here are some tips that may help you in improving your singing in the future.

It does not matter if you have a deep and husky voice for a female. Everybody has a unique voice connecting to him or her, and that's what makes you you. You can learn to embrace your differences and turn them into your strengths instead. I am also a female with a lower voice than many others, and am considered an alto/mezzo-soprano. To start it off, if you have trouble finding pitch, practice with a piano or any other instrument. Play one note, and sing it back until you get the note right. Develop your understanding of pitches that way, and it will help you to grasp the notes of songs when you hear them later on so that you can sing through them as well. If you can, join your school choir. It will not cost you any money except for what you need for basic materials. You probably may need a choir dress as well, but maybe you can ask the teacher if you can purchase a second-hand one at a cheaper price. It will be very helpful for someone starting out, because not only will you be able to learn the fundamental knowledge of music (notes, sight-reading, music theory, rhythm, etc.), you will also be able to experience what it is like to sing in a group made up of other voices of varying levels of skills and vocal ranges.

As repetitive as this sounds, practice practice practice! Learn to sing anywhere, and at any time. Music is all around you. Sing in the shower, sing on your way to school, and heck, even sing in front of your family and friends! This will allow you to slowly develop a sense of self-confidence in yourself, allow you to be less afraid of singing in front of other people, and allow you warm up your voice that way. The key is to sing consistently, preferably every day. Just like if you don't talk for a long time, your vocal cords will slowly dry up, and it will be harder for you to start talking again. There are also correct methods of taking care of your voice: drink lots of water, keep your throat warm and moist, warm-up before singing, and don't damage your voice by activities such as screaming and pushing your voice to its limit. These are just a few, and they'll do for starters. Posture is also important. The best position to sing is with your feet apart at shoulder's length, with a relaxed posture, and with a straight back. It's best to sing standing up, but sitting down is fine too. You will be able to notice that it is easier to breathe and reach for notes that way. As one final piece of advice, record yourself singing. Listen to it, note the mistakes and areas where you'd like to improve, try to correct it, then record yourself again. It's an ongoing process, but it helps. If you have a friend who has experience in singing, you can also ask him or her for advice.

This is just a collection of notes and advice that I pulled out from my years of experience as being a singer. If you are just beginning, this should be able to help you start out. Technique and skills will come to you later on. Remember, everybody is able to sing. It's just a matter of discipline, practice, and whether or not you've found your own voice yet. You still have time, so don't feel pressured or rushed into thinking that you have to improve before a certain deadline. I wish you the best, and I hope that you, or anyone else who reads this, will find this helpful!

• 3 years later...
Guest moneyspills

The hardest thing for a new singer to do is to find their own voice. You might think that this would be easy, but many singers have a hard time singing with their own voice. Instead, they imitate their favorite singers. This will not allow you to reach your full potential. You have to take some time and allow yourself to sing naturally. This may take a couple hours, days, or weeks. Eventually though, you will be able to let your true voice shine through.

Here's a video to help you sing better:

Archived