How hard is accounting?

Guest Starblazerbon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jjang504

I'm an accounting major....

it's not super hard, but in my opinion the hardest subject in the business field

the job market for accounting major is a lot better than the other business field majors though.. i think..:unsure:

Guest Starblazerbon

I'm an accounting major....

it's not super hard, but in my opinion the hardest subject in the business field

the job market for accounting major is a lot better than the other business field majors though.. i think..:unsure:

Can we talk for a bit?

The only reason the I am going for accounting is because of the job security.

the material isn't very difficult. pretty straightforward for the most part...just a lot of memorization

but with accounting...and pretty much all other business-type majors...interpersonal skills play a huge role in obtaining a job and also whether you'll be promoted within the firm, state agency, etc.

in my school...i personally feel like the accounting field is super competitive...especially if you wanna sign with one of the big four...but overall...if do well in your studies and have good people skills (which can be learned over time)...you should be fine..

Guest infinitetek

Don't go into accounting just cause of job security. That's what I initially did, but I made a mistake. I didn't like accounting at all, and it's a very boring subject IMO. I say just do what you like, if accounting is what you really want then go for it.

Guest Starblazerbon

Don't go into accounting just cause of job security. That's what I initially did, but I made a mistake. I didn't like accounting at all, and it's a very boring subject IMO. I say just do what you like, if accounting is what you really want then go for it.

what did you go for after that then?

Guest HelloKitty1430280004

Accounting is sooooo boring :(

I wanted to like it. I wanted to enjoy it. I still feel like I SHOULD know it well, but....oh my....I definitely can't have a career in accounting. I took the courses anyway because some accounting knowledge is always good in doing business. Being able to read financial statements is a must if you want to go into business world. I'm an econ major who took some accounting courses. It's extremely competitive at my university. Extremely cut-throat. Hurt your GPA like a beyatch. :'(

Guest infinitetek

Accounting is sooooo boring :(

I wanted to like it. I wanted to enjoy it. I still feel like I SHOULD know it well, but....oh my....I definitely can't have a career in accounting. I took the courses anyway because some accounting knowledge is always good in doing business. Being able to read financial statements is a must if you want to go into business world. I'm an econ major who took some accounting courses. It's extremely competitive at my university. Extremely cut-throat. Hurt your GPA like a beyatch. :'(

Felt the same way

what did you go for after that then?

I went with finance, felt I had more interest in the subject. Stocks in particular.

Guest StraWbeRrY1123

Accounting is very boring! You should stay away from it unless you're 100% sure that you will like it. The subject is not that difficult, but it's just very "dry". If you don't want to sit in front of the computer analyzing transactions and recording entries every day, stay away from it. I am one of those people who chose accounting because of its stability, and I regret it so much. I'm planning to change my major to something else, even though I'm already more than 1/2 way through. :( Choose your major wisely.

Guest luv4dawave

Accounting is one of those things that you either get or you don't get.

I wish I was good at it and I study so much for it but I just never seem to do as well as I want.

Like others have said, it's a dry subject. It's better to do something you like, then force yourself to do something you hate for the rest of your life. My friend who just graduated as an accounting major hates accounting but she's really good at it. I talked to her recently and she told me that she wished she had chose a different major. She doesn't regret it, but she's looking at 50 years+ more of accounting :/ And she complains of work all the time... HOWEVER, right when she graduated she got a job as a tax accountant with pretty good pay.

Like all things, there are pros and cons. Accountants usually find jobs once they get out of school, and yes, its a secure job. You need to consider other things too, though. Your question is hard to answer. Just take it and find out if you have the mind of an accountant. If not, you might as well change your major. It's a tough major and if you don't get it from the beginning, you won't get it later.

Guest Starblazerbon

Accounting is one of those things that you either get or you don't get.

I wish I was good at it and I study so much for it but I just never seem to do as well as I want.

Like others have said, it's a dry subject. It's better to do something you like, then force yourself to do something you hate for the rest of your life. My friend who just graduated as an accounting major hates accounting but she's really good at it. I talked to her recently and she told me that she wished she had chose a different major. She doesn't regret it, but she's looking at 50 years+ more of accounting :/ And she complains of work all the time... HOWEVER, right when she graduated she got a job as a tax accountant with pretty good pay.

Like all things, there are pros and cons. Accountants usually find jobs once they get out of school, and yes, its a secure job. You need to consider other things too, though. Your question is hard to answer. Just take it and find out if you have the mind of an accountant. If not, you might as well change your major. It's a tough major and if you don't get it from the beginning, you won't get it later.

I like your post.

But how did your parent got a job right after college?

Did she when to a prestigious school?

Guest xLOVEyu

I guess it just matters what college you go to. My sister graduated in accounting at wp carey thought it was a challenge but it didn't even compare to the 3 CPA tests she had to take. She passed them first try, but that doesn't happen very often since most of colleagues didn't pass one or two. She studied for a whole year at the same time she was going to grad school, I really don't know how she did it. As for job security, my sister was lucky to get a job with a company right out of school, but that was after two years of a COMPETITIVE internship where only 3-4 were chosen out of 20.

So accounting isn't ridiculously hard, but if you're going for a CPA license, be sure that you can take a year to just study hardddddd.

Guest bluedragot

if you can do numbers for 8 hours straight, then yeah, go with accounting. it's pretty boring though because all you do is look at numbers. worst thing that can happen is you do papers for someone who is going bankrupted lol

Guest prettyLOVEE

I took an accounting class & unless you're determined to do a good job in it theres not time for slacking or procrastinating at all You have to be on the ball all the time to be able to catch up.

Guest jjang504

Can we talk for a bit?

The only reason the I am going for accounting is because of the job security.

I think you should give Accounting a chance. There are other branches of accounting such as Auditing and Taxation that could be rewarding to you and it pays really well. 

I personally didn't think it was that bad, I did hated it in the beginning , but when you take higher level courses, you'll realize you can do a lot more with this major. 

Guest luv4dawave

I like your post.

But how did your parent got a job right after college?

Did she when to a prestigious school?

I think you mean my friend haha.

I'm not sure how she got a job--she applied? LOL.

But the school we go to isn't particularly famous or anything. In no way is it Ivy League or anything, but it is known for the business program (specifically accounting). James Madison University if you're curious.

Our school also had a lot of opportunities for internships and jobs while studying.

So if you're interested, you should research the schools you are interested in and see what companies offer internships and such.

Guest la_tofu

I'm also very torn as to what to do. I'm currently a freshman in college Undeclared major. I took an the Intro course in Accounting and I mean..I didn't find it fascinating but I also didn't hate it. I didn't do to well in the class :/ (B- because I didn't do well on my 2 midterms but I think aced my final..hence semi pulling up my grade). Haha believe it or not I find tedious work soothing. I keep a spreadsheet of all my expenses and find it interesting in how everything adds up and how much I spend haha. Yea I'm weird. But...I don't know. I currently go to UCI and they have a brand new undergrad business program so rankings are nonexistent and the competition is cutthroat. :/ But at the same time...I don't know what my other options really are. I abhor math and science but I want a stable job which I don't believe something English based can give me (I'm more English based than math and science). Business seems like the only option to me :/ I'm torn between trying to find something I love (I don't know if I really will ever find that) or attempting to major in something I don't hate, but I don't find amazingly fascinating either.

Guest jonlucas

Is accounting a super hard major?

How are the jobs for accounting?

It isn't at all tough...if you get your basics right! Job opportunities are plenty....you just need to make the right choice and study diligently so that you succeed. Best of luck

Jon

Fashion enthusiast

Guest AiMango

actually, accounting is a very stable job. every company needs accountants. you can also get certain accounting designations that obviously increase your salary. my mother is an accountant, so i am not pulling this info outta my richard simmons. to be a successful accountant you cant just sit around and bookkeep all day though... eventually you can manage.

its not a difficult major, definitely not as difficult as engineering, math, science in most peoples points of views. you still need a knack with knowing how to network and interpersonal skills.

its a very very stable job. but in terms of difficulty.. its a little strange actually.

i find that its those type of things that you either understand or don't.

some people, including me, get it and find it a breeze..get a good mark without having to study, etc etc

but some people i know (who are normally great at everything even, with really good grades) struggle and can't understand it o.o

its extremely boring though imo. its repetition again and again. however, i can take several majors at my uni and im doing it so i have a 'backup', just in case things don't go well with whatever i wanted to do in the beginning. if you can do that i suggest doing it too.

Archived