Dry skin..?

_siku_

Hello~ I'm having this problem with my skin + make up, I hope someone can help me out =) 

-A bit info about me + my skincare routine: 

Skin type: Combination skin (oily T-Zone)

I'm having pimples under my lip and my forehead =_= and a few on my cheek due to finals (Junk food + allnighters) 

-My Skincare routine: 

+Cleanser: St.Ives Olive cleanser - Morning - I used this for months already

The Body shop tea tree facial cleanser - night - I started using this for a week 

+Toner: Nivea toner (Blue bottle) for Normal to Combination skin - Used this for 2 years already? ._.

+Moisturizer: Yes to Carrot Eye cream 

The Body shop vitamin E daily cream for all skin types

The Body shop vitamin E night cream for all skin types 

Okay so...I noticed for the past 2 months, I'm having extremely dry skin, especially around my eyes (I live in Toronto...yay for winter -_-). My skin around my eyes is so dry that you can peel off the skin around my eyes if I don't put on eyecream or any kind of moisturizer. Even after I put on, somehow I still can see the cream is peeling off. I will try my best to describe this, but you know how your skin is so dry that when you try to open your eyes like O.O, you can feel the skin is pulling your eyes? =_= Yea..Sorry for horrible description, I don't mind if you don't get it xD. Basically, my skin is so *** dry >_>. I post a picture below, hope you guys can understand what I'm talking about.... 

img0387o.jpg

So other than my eye area, my skin is dry too but not as much as my eyes. I also try to pat on moisturizer and let it sink in about 5-10 minutes and hope it work x.x. 

Sometimes I want to apply my make up (only need concealer for dark circles though - the concealer I'm using is Make Up forever HD concealer), but due to dry skin, I just can't at all. Basically there will be dry patches of make up on my skin. I tried to take the pic to show you the dry patches..hope you can see it =/ argh horrible iphone pics.. 

img0395t.jpg

Sorry for lengthy post but I really don't know what to do anymore. I tried to look for something similar to my case on soompi but nothing came up. I also don't know if the cause of this it's because of my skin care routine? My make up? I really hope someone can help me =) Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calligraphy

My first guess is that the change in season has taken a toll on your skin. My second guess is that using two cleansers could be drying you skin out even more. Are you massaging the cleanser onto your eyes when you was your face? If so, don't do that. Use a separate makeup remover to take off eye makeup of face makeup. Try using moisturizers aimed towards dry skin and a richer eye cream for the night time during the winter. Or you could always dab Vaseline on the drier parts of your face to lock in moisture from your moisturizer.

I have the same problem! My dry patches around my eyes aren't as bad but I hope someone helps you! (and me).

For me, I temporarily stop the dry patches with vaseline and this special med my mom had gotten from her doctor.

But it doesn't stop my eyes from drying up again when I conceal my eyes >_<.

Guest lychee_poo

Your skin is probably irritated by something, I would suggest for you to go to your doctor and consult him/her about since it's unlikely you will find a concrete answer on soompi. Try some baby oil or vaseline in that area to hydrate it.

And Toronto weather has been especially harsh this past month, my skin is also a lot more dry =/

Guest ai wei rong

I had the same problem except mine was around my mouth area, which looked super horrible.

Try using QV wash and QV cream, its a real miracle cream for me and i hope it works well for you too!

p.s use the yellow/orange label, its suited for very dry skin

TBDF-XX2100352_1.jpg

<3

Guest Christyy.ann93

I have the same problem as you, and I live in Toronto as well!

Dry skin for me was all over my face...

I've started using Aveeno's positively ageless night cream this winter, and it's really been helping.

Although its a night cream i also use it during the day since I find it's VERY moisturizing.

Sometimes I end up applying it twice, over a 15 minute span, when they dryness gets really out of hand, and it does help significantly.

My skin remains non-flaky for most of the day :)

Guest blahhh60444

My skin gets really dry during the winter months, I would suggest washing your face once a day because it can be really drying.  I would usually wash my face at night with a gentle cleanser (spectro jel or cetaphil) that does not dry out the skin then use a toner and moisturize.  I think in your case with dry skin around your eyes, maybe use a heavier or thicker moisturizer if you have one or as suggested from above, vaseline works well too.  Instead of washing your face in the morning, use a toner to clean up the left over moisturizer residue or vaseline from the night before and then moisturize again.  This is my routine and I find that it really works for me.

Another factor causing the dry skin might be the heat in your house.  You can use a humidifier in your room to keep your skin moist or leave a bowl of water in your room and that will also keep your room moist.

I hope these suggestions work for you, good luck!

p.s. "Don't worry, be happy!"  I find that my skin gets better when I'm not stressing about my skin (I don't know if its true but I like to believe it works :D )

Guest emisunshine

like the others said, for the current flaky skin you have, apply some vaseline, but if you're worried about it blocking pores, i'd suggest trying a light oil like biooil, which is found in most drugstores. a few winters ago, i have really dry skin on my eyelids too, and it hurt like a B! i applied the biooil i usually applied to help heal a scar i had from a curling iron incident, and within days my eyes were totally moisturized again. applying some on my cheeks didn't break me out either. i can't exactly vouch for biooil's  scar fading effectiveness, but it sure moisturizes.

in the winter, i switch from the astringent i usually use to an alcohol-free toner, which dries me out less. i also switch moisturizers at night from cetaphil to a heavier one. trying looking for some especially with something "night face nutrient". 

hope this helps ^_^

I feel like this might have happened to me before too. What I did was very gently (and you should stick a few more "very's" in there since it's around your eye area) exfoliated the dead/dry skin off (easiest to do after a shower or washing your face with warm water), and moisturized using Vitamin E from a vitamin E capsule (not a cream or anything, just straight up vitamin E). It feels really sticky at first but just pat it in gently and it will absorb in after a while. Maybe you can try that if some of the other suggestions don't work for you, but it worked for me really fast, maybe just a couple days.

good luck!

If you're central heating with radiators, put a glass/bowl of water on top of the radiator. The radiator/central heating makes the air in the house very dry, so by putting a glass/bowl of water on top will help to moisturize the air.

My skin was already getting dryer from the cold weather and once we turned on the central heating my skin condition went worse. I had a lot of dry patches on my skin and this huge itchy dry patch right under my eye. What I did was I stopped using anything else than water to wash my face. If you have an Aloe Vera plant, take one of it's leaves and smear the snot-like stuff on your face twice a day. And put a bowl of water on top of the radiator. I just did this for a week and my skin is back to normal now. No dry and itchy patches. After that week of not using anything on my face, I now use a tiny bit of face lotion and that's it.

But yeah, the most important thing during winter is to put some water on top of the radiator. This will keep the air in your room moistured, which in turn will keep your skin moistured. :)

Guest selinaym

I get dry skin when i'm ill as a result from using too many tissues haha. I use: doublebase moisturising and protective hydrating gel. It's for dry/chapped skin and I find it works really well :) I use it for my hands also.

Guest blahblah.

My eye was really dry aswell but i finally found a cream that worked for me.

Make sure to choose a cream for dry skin even thought you have combination. Maybe just apply the cream for dry skin on your eye area where it's dry?

I just kept applying on cream whenever it felt dry and would sometime put a blob of cream on my eye so it can slowing sink it.

Also, don't use hot water on your face. Only use warm water. Hot water will dry it out even more!

I couldn't put BB cream on so I just went a few days without until it wasnt as dry ^_^

Hope this helps!

Yay for being Canadian! Nay for going through hard winters -_-

A few advices :

- Your eye-cream : If it is in a gel-ish formula, you might want to stop using it temporarily. I notice that gel cream have a hard time sinking and blending into your skin during harsh weathers. It seems to form a "fill" over your skin instead of getting absorbed. While on a normal basis cream type can be heavy for the skin around the eyes, you might need to go with regular lotion/cream since the dryness is kinda too much and you sure do not want wrinkles now. Just use your regular face cream on your lids for now until the dryness reduce.

- Just before going out, apply a layer of cream aroudn your eyes to reduce the drying that is to come. While this seem strange, rinse your face with cold water after you've washed your face, because hot water makes your skin dry out faster.

If you've started using something recently, make sure it is not the source of the excessive dryness. If this doesn't happen every winter, there is a big chance your skin is being mistreated by a certain cosmetic :P Beside, it's not like this year, winter is harsher than the other years!

Use Cetaphil's moisturizing cream. Make sure you get the cream, and not the lotion (there is a difference!). I have combination skin as well, I'm usually really oil on my forehead, but very dry on my nose and cheeks (peeling, itchy dry). I've tried other products, but they only broke me out, or made me feel itchy, too oily, or it burned. The only thing I trust is Cetaphil. My friend who used to suffer from extreme eczema on her face used the same thing.

It'll be your best friend!

51-ylyp-pdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Guest xLOVEyu

a really good and cheap way is to mix organic sugar, honey, and extra virgin olive oil. it should come out a little lumpy and oily, like a sugar scrub. it's a gift from god for my dry skin during the winter. use it every other day when it gets really bad, but other than that only use 2-3 times a week. hope that helps :]

Guest deceitful.reverie

I suggest you use Aquaphor. I've been using it since I was on accutane. It was recommended by my dermatolgist and the pharmacist. You should only use it at night, though, 'cause it's greasy, but when you wake up the next day, your face will be soft and makeup ready. :) You can also use it on your lips, hands, and feet. It looks like vaseline, but it works better. It has other good stuff in it too, unlike Vaseline which is just 100% petrolatum.

Guest FireDragon

I recommend mixing a drop or two of pure jojoba oil (I used this one): http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Essence-Jojoba-4-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B001CMT8DA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292586759&sr=8-2

with your night cream. I had dry patches on my forehead from swimming, and the jojoba oil healed them in about 2 weeks of nightly use. Jojoba oil also works great on moisturizing my elbows and knees, and I hear you can also use it to condition your hair. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Archived