Korean Title: 웃어라 동해야 [useora Donghaeya]

KBS World Title: Smile Again

TV Station: KBS1

Episodes: 100+

Genre: Family

Broadcast Period: 04 October 2010

KBS World Broadcast Period: 16 November 2010

Site : Here

Airs: Monday - Friday 20:25pm (replacing "A Good Day for the Wind to Blow" / "Happiness in the Wind")

Ratings: Here

.: SYNOPSIS :.

Dong Hae was raised in America by his beautiful but unmarried and mentally deficient mother who was adopted there.

He returns to Korea with his mother because of the woman he loves, but she betrays him. Dong Hae begins

to search for his father, creating a new family and finding new romance along the way. (Credit: Dramabeans)

Karl Laker, whose Korean name is ‘Dong-hae’, visits Korea with her mother to participate in the short track speed

skating competition as an American speed skater. Dong-hae’s mother Anna, who is a Korean-American adoptee, caught

a fever which caused her to have a mental age of nine. She fell in love with a man, but he left her without knowing

that she got pregnant with Dong-hae. His trip to Korea is not just for the competition, but to see his girlfriend

Sae-Wa who he met for 6 years and promised to marry. However, what awaits him is the changed heart of Sae-wa. She

tells him that she cannot be with him as long as he is with Anna. Meantime, Anna sees Dong-hae’s father by chance

and doesn’t want to leave. Dong-hae decides to stay in Korea and search for his father. He decides to find him and

ask him the reason why he left them. (Credit: KBS World)

.: CAST :.

annadonghae.jpg

Do Ji Won as Anna Laker (Dong Hae's mother)

Ji Chang Wook as Dong Hae / Karl Laker

Lee family

thelees.jpg

Im Chae Moo as Lee Kang Jae

Lee Bo Hee as Gye Sun Ok

subcast02profile01.gif

Oh Ji Eun as Lee Bong Yi

piljaedaughter.jpg

Kim Yoo Suk as Lee Pil Jae

Lee Jun Ha as Lee Song Yi (Pil Jae's daughter)

subcast02profile052.gif

Alex as Lee Tae Hoon

Kim family

thekims.jpg

Kang Suk Woo as Kim Joon

Jung Ae Ri as Hong Hye Sook

Lee Jang Woo as Kim Do Jin

Yoon family

saewa.jpg

Park Hae Mi as Byun Sool Nyeo

Park Jung Ah as Yoon Sae Wa

Lee Joo Yeon as Yoon Sae Young

Other people

Kim Sung Won as Jo Pil Yong (Anna's birth father)

Jung Young Sook as Kim Mal Sun (Anna's birth mother)

.: DOWNLOAD LINKS / SOURCES :.

AM-Addiction

.: SUBTITLES :.

The show is listed under WithS2's possible future project with a note: *special VIA side-project* so one may assume that subtitles will not be freely available to all only those with VIA access (correct me if I'm wrong).

Chinese subbed episodes can be found on Personal Blue Sky (Credit: c-gunawan541)

Ratings

sdhratings.jpg

This thread is under heavy construction

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for starting this thread! Can't wait for After School's Jooyeon to be in it!

Here's the preview of the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YehQ4sPQeUk&feature=player_embedded

Source: Tuolovesas at Youtube

& here are some photos

httpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO3.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO1.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO10.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO8.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO6.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO5.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO4.jpghttpwwwkbscokrdramadonghaeaboutcastindexhtmlJOO.jpg

Source: teekee at Diva Detention

Sypnosis of Jooyeon's character:

She’ll play Park Jung-ah’s younger sister, an immature girl who’s got a knack for causing trouble. According to her management, “With this drama, Joo-yeon will be continuing as a singer while acting, doing both at the same time. She’s showing fierce determination toward her first acting challenge.” Not only that, she’ll continue participating in the KBS variety program Invincible Youth; in order to allow for her to also shoot a daily drama, the variety show agreed to work around her schedule.

Source: dramabeans

OMG!!! so Alex and Joo Yeon will be pairing up as couple??? confirm this someone. Cause it will definitely change my mood for a second thought bout watching this family drama! I enjoy family drama sooo much!!! Joo Yeon is one pretty singer/actress...alex is also one hot@ss man too.

Well,..i was too excited bout this one so i went on and found,..very promising and interesting story.

CASTINGS:

Ji Chang Wook as Dong-Hae (He is sooo hot & remind me of Lee Min Ho's haircut)

jichangwook_10.jpg

Oh Ji Eun

ohjieun_6.jpg

Lee Jang Woo

leejangwoo2.jpg

Park Jung Ah

parkjungah_11.jpg

Alex

alex_48.jpg

JooYeon (After School Member)

jooyeon_as1.jpg

KBS’s daily drama Fine Windy Day (or Good Day For the Wind to Blow) is nearing its end, and its replacement drama will be Smile, Dong-hae [웃어라 동해야], which begins its run next week.

Here’s an introduction the young up-and-comers who comprise the cast, led by Ji Chang-wook, whose casting I’m happy to see since he played such an endearing role in last year’s hit weekend drama Sons of Sol Pharmacy. (He played the timid youngest son with “sissy” interests like sewing and quilting, who ended up raising his best friend’s daughter while just 20 years old.) He followed that with a supporting role in Lee Jun-ki’s Hero, and now finds himself in his first leading role.

In Smile, Dong-hae, he plays the titular character of Dong-hae, whose “beautiful but mentally deficient” mother was adopted to the U.S. and raised him as a single mom. Dong-hae moves to Korea with his mother because of the woman he loves, who then betrays him. He looks for his father, who is a total stranger to him, and in the process finds a different love and puts together a new family in this “touching story.”

Smile, Dong-hae is written by the “hitmaker PD and writer combo” Kim Myung-wook and Moon Eun-ah of 2009′s popular You’re My Destiny, which had ratings that surpassed 40%. It’s also the drama that my mother calls “the worst written drama of all time, ever.” (But she watched every episode and then liked to grouse about it. It had that oddly addictive combination of ridiculous storylines and makjang elements that made you want to see what happened even as you cursed at your TV.)

Like Ji, Oh Ji-eun is familiar with weekend family-drama success; her role in Three Brothers as Lee Jun-hyuk’s love interest raised her profile significantly, and she’s just now starting to shed the label of “rookie actress.” Oh will play a lively, easygoing woman who works as a kitchen staff member at a hotel. She grew up poor after her father went bankrupt in her childhood, and therefore will do anything within the boundaries of the law to earn some cash. She falls in love with Dong-hae.

Then there’s Clazziquai’s Alex, who has been taking on more acting roles recently, last seen in MBC’s romantic comedy Pasta. He’ll play a supporting character who is a poor student preparing for state exams.

Park Jung-ah is another pop-singer-turned-actress (of girl group Jewelry), whom you may remember as Jenny Ahn in SBS’s Prosecutor Princess. She changes up her image a little in taking on a character with a quirky, mischievous personality, who’s also a smart television announcer.

Lee Jang-woo is another singer-actor of the group 24/7, but who may be more famous for his recent revelation that is is the cousin of Fly To the Sky’s Hwanhee. He’ll develop a love triangle with Park Jung-ah’s and Ji Chang-wook’s characters, and plays an uber-confident, ambitious hotelier. Coincidentally, like Oh Ji-eun he was also in Three Brothers.

Last but not least is Joo-yeon, another idol-star singer (this drama’s really teeming with them, isn’t it?) of the girl group After School. She’ll play Park Jung-ah’s younger sister, an immature girl who’s got a knack for causing trouble. According to her management, “With this drama, Joo-yeon will be continuing as a singer while acting, doing both at the same time. She’s showing fierce determination toward her first acting challenge.” Not only that, she’ll continue participating in the KBS variety program Invincible Youth; in order to allow for her to also shoot a daily drama, the variety show agreed to work around her schedule.

Smile, Dong-hae premieres on October 4.

credit source: dramabeans.com

Please let me have this one. JI CHANG WOOOOOOKKKKKKKK!!!

OMG, I haven't seen him since Sol Pharmacy and wondered what he was up to after Hero ended. I was rooting for him to get a role in Sungkyunkwan Scandal or Playful Kiss, but now that he's actually got a main role, I'm so happy! Too bad that it's a daily drama, that is hard to keep up, but I'm definitely gonna tune in for the first episode just to see him. EEEE, Ji Changwook back on screen!!

Guest teukiie

[NEWS] 10.10.01 -After School’s Jooyeon reveals her thoughts about acting

20100930_smile_donghae_5.jpg

Recently we reportedthat After School’s Jooyeon will be making her acting debut through theupcoming KBS drama ‘Smile, Donghae.’ Jooyeon recently revealed her thoughtsabout her acting debut at the press conference for the drama.

The press conference took place on September 30that the Grand Ambassador Hotel in Seoul Jangchoongdong. Jooyeon will take on therole of Saeyoung, which will be the younger sister of Saewa (played by ParkJung Ah). Saeyoung is a dancing major at a university, and has a knack forgetting into trouble. She unexpectedly becomes pregnant with Taehoon’s (playedby Alex) children, giving birth to twins.

Jooyeon revealed, “I received acting advice fromUEE… Because she participated in both dramas and film, I rarely see her. UEEtold me, ‘It’s hard, but I know unni can do it.’ She has also given me a lot ofstrength by her encouraging words and advice. Even though it’s nerve-wreckingto act for the first time, it’s also very fun and enjoyable. It’s good that I cantackle acting while taking a break from my singing activities.”

The general story is about Donghae (played by JiChang Wook), who was adopted by a couple overseas after being born to a singlemother. The drama shows the process of Donghae finding new love and family, aswell as the struggles he has to endure.

PD Kim Myung Wook and scriptwriter Moon Eun Ah,who have worked together before in ‘You’re My Destiny’, will pair up again forthis drama, capturing the attention of many viewers.

‘Smile, Donghae’ will debut October 4th.

Source: Allkpop + Diva Detention

-

20100930_smile_donghae_1.jpg20100930_smile_donghae_2.jpg20100930_smile_donghae_3.jpg20100930_smile_donghae_6.jpg20100930_smile_donghae_4.jpg

2806pmw.jpg124aakg.jpg3324d3n.jpg34j95hi.jpg2qc2gm1.jpg15nm9me.jpgnbzpkn.jpgst_1285824961_1947189711_0.jpgNISI20100930_0003477475_web.jpgtn_1285828023_714492921_0.jpg201009301452777774_1.jpg65c605084f7549006f499eb5166125a2.jpgst_1285828142_833131000_0.jpg201009301447501001_1.jpg201009301441774652_1-1.jpg201009301444291001_1.jpg201009301441774652_1.jpg201009301512191114_1.jpg20100930145128333.jpg201009301628011001_1.jpg20100930002834_0.jpgc5c064ee622f91f34cc330e2c3e124f0.jpg201009301654371001_1.jpg2010093062727_2010093042751.jpg30_90710.jpgst_1285829101_1792426342_0.jpgtn_1285824182_1168651361_0.jpg2010093015423331045_1.jpgPP10093000100.jpg201009301515061001_1.jpg2010093072637_2010093043541.jpg20100930_1285831216_1.jpg201009301637061001_1.jpgPYH2010093011160001300_P2.jpg100930_4ca42a9cc93ac.jpgNISI20100930_0003477476_web.jpg100930_4ca42a8d249ce.jpg100930_4ca42a72aaa46.jpg100930_4ca42aca8c7c5.jpg100930_4ca42ab24c1c7.jpg

Jooyeon at Smile, Donghae Press Conference

Source: Diva Detention

Guest sweetiexpixelzzz

Oh I'm so excited for this! Alex&Jooyeon look so good together! ^^ and Changwook looks like Minho in some of the pictures! Woah! It's starting this coming monday already? :o

Guest vini_addicted_to_ji hoon

huhu..JY makes me jealous.. :tears:

but she is so beautiful.. ^^

there are a lot of Alex's picture.. thank you.. :wub:

Guest pharry

Hello Everyone...i'm new to this thread...thanks tiki_sg for the link.

By the way hello Semi-fly good to see you here, I hope to meet some more familiar names from our Hanbok series..:)

Guest pan2cute

will there any subbing team for this drama..

since it was daily drama~~

i'm interest with joo yeon, alex and park jung ah..

well other cast i don't know..

but the main actor looks quite handsome~~

a lil' bit alike with lee minhoo~~

Guest teukiie

[Photo] After School’s Joo Yeon ‘takes on acting!’

joo-yeon.jpg

Seoul, Korea – On the 30th, actress Joo Yeon was seen posing for pictures during the press conference for KBS 1TV’s new daily soap opera Smile Donghae at the Grand Ambassador Hotel in Jangchung-dong, Seoul.

Smile Donghae tells the story of ‘Dong Hae’ (Ji Chang Wook), born to a young mother adopted from Korea, and the events that take place when he and his mother, the beautiful but sometimes naive ‘Anna Reiker’ (Do Ji Won) go back to Korea, meeting his father and experiencing new loves and meeting family.

The ensemble cast of Ji Chang Wook, Do Ji Won, Park Hae Mi, Park Jeong Ah, Lim Chae Moo, Jeong Ae Ri, Kang Seok Woo, Lee Bo Hee, Kim Yoo Seok, Alex, Oh Ji Eun, Lee Jang Woo, Kim Sung Won, Jeong Yeong Sook, Lee Joo Yeon, and Lee Jun Ha has been the focus of attention.

Smile Donghae is a project from the same production team that brought us You are my Sunshine, which had an average of 30.7% viewer ratings and was considered a KBS national drama, and will begin airing on Monday, October 4th at 8:25 pm on KBS 1TV.

By Yoo Seung Kwan (seungkwan @jtn.co.kr)

Source: JTN (Original article in Korean)

Photo from JTN DB

Translated by Timothy Nam / Korea.com

-

Synopsis

Dong Hae was raised in America by his beautiful but unmarried and mentally deficient mother who was adopted there. He returns to Korea with his mother because of the woman he loves, but she betrays him. Dong Hae begins to search for his father, creating a new family and finding new romance along the way.

Cast

Ji Chang Wook as Dong Hae / Karl Laker

Do Ji Won as Anna Laker (Dong Hae’s mother)

Lee family

Im Chae Moo as Lee Kang Jae

Lee Bo Hee as Gye Sun Ok

Alex as Lee Tae Hoon

Oh Ji Eun as Lee Bong Yi

Kim Yoo Suk as Lee Pil Jae

?? as Lee Song Yi (Pil Jae’s daughter)

Kim family

Kang Suk Woo as Kim Joon

Jung Ae Ri as Hong Hye Sook

Lee Jang Woo as Kim Do Jin

Yoon family

Park Hae Mi as Byun Sool Nyeo

Park Jung Ah as Yoon Sae Wa

Lee Joo Yeon as Yoon Sae Young

Other people

Kim Sung Won as Jo Pil Yong (Anna’s birth father)

Jung Young Sook as Kim Mal Sun (Anna’s birth mother)

Production Credits

Producer: Moon Bo Hyun

Director: Kim Myung Wook, Mo Wan Il (모완일)

Screenwriter: Moon Eun Ah

Source: Korea.com

Guest sweetiexpixelzzz

Thank you so much for sharing those lovely pictures of Jooyeon. ^^ kekeke. Her and alex are looking good together! I'm definitely looking forward to this! I really can't believe airing begins tomorrow. :o does anyone know if this will be another 16 episode series? since happiness with in the wind was quite long, maybe this will be too?

Screen-caps of Ep 1

from Korean Media News

tn_1286229002_-2033195408_0.jpg

st_1286232001_965636368_0.jpg

201010050740281117_1.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, just for info, "Good Day When the Wind Blows" (GDWWB) opened at #1 with 22% on it's 1st episode. "Smile, Dong-Hae" is currently #2 where Daily Series are concerned, "Golden Fish" has taken over GDWWB's spot at being #1.

2010-10-05 News Article on Ratings and Storyline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ratings for "Smile, Dong Hae"

Ratings for Ep 001

TNS – 12.5% (#8 Nationwide) / 11.5% (#8 Seoul)

AGB – 17.2% (#4 Nationwide) / 17.8% (#4 Seoul)

Ratings for Ep 002

TNS – 14.5% (#3 Nationwide) / 13.8% (#4 Seoul)

AGB – 18.1% (#3 Nationwide) / 17.6% (#5 Seoul)

Ratings for Ep 003

TNS – 11.8% (#8 Nationwide) / 10.7% (#8 Seoul)

AGB – 16.0% (#6 Nationwide) / 15.7% (#7 Seoul)

Ratings for Ep 004

TNS – 11.2% (#6 Nationwide) / 10.4% (#8 Seoul)

AGB – 14.3% (#6 Nationwide) / 14.5% (#8 Seoul)

Archived