How to make your own lip tint/stain balm

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

Inexpensive, easy and useful.

Lip tints are a fun and easy way to achive a healthier looking flushed lip colour. They're long lasting, and feel weightless on the lips compared to conventional lip sticks and glosses.

There are many lip tints avaliable on the market for various prices. Here's how to make your own, inexpensive custom lip tint that nourishes your lips as well as staining them a flirtatious red shade.

4gizwj.jpg

The finished product.

You'll notice that the main ingredient for the tint is a normal, cheap, run of the mill red food colouring.

Remember when you were little and had just finished an ice lolly on a warm summers day? Afterwards, you may have found it amusing to discover your lips looked red. This was due to the red food colouring in the ice lolly :)

2541304401_bbf3e9069d_m.jpg

The colour lasted for ages, and thats the idea I was going for with my DIY lip tint balm :)

You will only need:

15s7xw0.jpg

VIDEO: Click here to watch the video!

Please view in HD if your computer allows it :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Littlofoott

Does the color stay on? Because I never really had a good experience with lip color with Vaseline. Itll always run or after a few minutes get between the lips line.

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

^ Because the colour ingredient is food colouring, it tends to sink into your lips and you can still see it even after the vaseline rubs off. The main purposes of the vaseline are to shield water, which will dilute the food colouring and since food colouring can be drying for the lips it helps keep them from cracking. The oil is very important as well to make the consistency smoother. Hope that answered your question.

Guest WitchGoddess

Wow that looks pretty cool. I feel like you would be stuck with one color though. Maybe if they had more diversified colors of food dye.

Guest TaroStrawberryCream

wow the idea is really cool and creative... hmm... i'm curious to try.

thanks! >)

*edit* andd i also like the way you made the video. the angles and pictures. it was pleasant to watch and i didn't get distracted or bored watching it :P

Guest dainanda123

i'm so happy i found this!!! i've been trying to find a lip stain that will create the "just ate a popsicle" look lol. And I didn't want to pay some ridiculous price for etude house tints.

thanks for sharing! i'm definately going to try this ^^

Guest danger

Wow this is cool! I think I'm gonna try this todayy :) Just wondering, why was it necessary to microwave the balm twice??

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

^ Probably not.... I just wanted to make sure all the ingredients had blended together nicely.

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

Guest xindi

Ohh this reminds me on makeupalley for the reviews of Benetint, someone said to just buy organic food dye instead XD That's really cool! And you should consider making more tutorials, I really LOVE the style of this vid haha :)

Is there anything we could use in replacement for Vaseline though? Could we even melt some regular burts bees? haha~ I had a bad experience with Vaseline on the lips, it made me super addicted to lip balm T__T

Guest ilikeyammyfoods

this looks interesting! and easy enough to do lol.

im going to try this. when im not lazy. :sweatingbullets:

thanks for the tutorial!

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

Ohh this reminds me on makeupalley for the reviews of Benetint, someone said to just buy organic food dye instead XD That's really cool! And you should consider making more tutorials, I really LOVE the style of this vid haha :)

Is there anything we could use in replacement for Vaseline though? Could we even melt some regular burts bees? haha~ I had a bad experience with Vaseline on the lips, it made me super addicted to lip balm T__T

I'm glad you liked the video :)

I'm not sure if the burts bees thing would work, but I am going to try it, I'll let you know if it works out... I have an old tube of the stuff I dont really use anymore that I can dig out.

Guest Deluge

I really like that someone made a tutorial on this! I'd rather make a lip tint than shell out $$ for something like Benetint, which I think is overpriced! Thanks. (:

Guest cocoa

I tried it and it worked well! My dye didn't mix completely, but it still works. Totally stains my fingers though, so I need a brush.

Guest xindi

I'm glad you liked the video :)

I'm not sure if the burts bees thing would work, but I am going to try it, I'll let you know if it works out... I have an old tube of the stuff I dont really use anymore that I can dig out.

oh wow thanks! please let me know if you do try it :)

does red radish or beet juice work

lol I read "beetle juice" :lol:

That's organic red food dye isn't it? (so says the MUA people who rec'd it in place of Benetint anyways) so that should work~

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

I'm not sure if beet juice would work...I think organic food colouring should be okay though. The only reason I brought artificial is because it was 50p as opposed to £1.65 or something.... Lol ^^

Btw - it stains my fingers too lol. Try and use a q tip or a lip brush to apply.

I tried burts bees yesterday and it didn't work very well. Came out as more of a gloss than a balm.

Guest iPhets

^beetroot right? i used to eat those and every time after it has the same effect as the popsicle, my lips would be red for awhile.

i think it would be worth a try?

Archived