Sunglasses over Prescription Glasses

Guest albasian

Guest albasian

Did a quick search but didn't see a thread for this.

I'm a guy wearing prescription glasses, but I'm not willing to give up my glasses for contacts. I really want to wear sunglasses, especially since it's summer and I'm beginning to drive and driving against the sun + me driving = immediate traffic hazard.

But I was wondering, does anyone wear sunglasses over their glasses? Is it considered strange? I have a pair of Wayfarers and mirror aviators but I never wear them because you can see a slight outline from my normal glasses and from the side, you see the sides of the glasses lol (it looks kinda strange)

So I was wondering if anyone actually does this? I'm not going to buy those goggle things because I'm into the types of sunglasses like the ones that Poreotics wear.

These are my glasses right now: they're a little smaller than normal Wayfarers and about the same width.

9199267_5dc685c9ab.jpg

Does anyone have suggestions on sunglasses that would fit around my current glasses? (preferably futurisitc/modern types that aren't gaudy)

Guest plumerias

Why don't you just get prescription sunglasses?

I feel like sunglasses over glasses would be ..very strange, haha. Feel your pain though, I want to wear sunglasses too!

Guest dainanda123

I used to wear my sunglasses over my prescription glasses.... but I was always irritated by them so I decided to get contacts recently.

I don't think its weird at all, but I find that you have to wear large sunglasses to pull it off. Why don't you try getting prescription sunglasses?

Guest andchristinesays

There are sunglasses made to go over regular ones. They're called -drumrolls- FITOVERS.

Just go for prescription sunglasses. You might think it mean significantly a lot more money, but really it's not. Think about it: you get your lenses changed yearly so you can see much clearer. For some people though, their vision stays relatively the same year after year, so their old glasses can be used. So really, your prescription sunglasses can be used for years if that's the case.

First, if your aviators frames are good quality, then see if you can use those. If they're not, then I recommend going out to buy your sunglasses frame, rather then buying straight from the optometrist since they can be really expensive. I'm not sure if plastic frames would work, because my optometrist told me to look for a frame that would screw open so they could be the lenses in. Just ask. Basically, they'll just tint regular prescription lenses. If you want polarized, then I recommend buying from the optometrist since only certain brands carry that option.

Also, just a heads up even though you didn't mention this. For future reference, I don't recommend getting transitions. I know several people who did and one main problem is the lenses turning dark when they're indoors with bright light.

Hope this helps!

My friend wears these goggle sunglasses over her glasses when she drives. If you're only going to do it when you're driving then it'll be fine since no one will see you anyways. It sounds uncomfortable though.

Guest xindi

LOL my dad has those clip-on sunglasses. OLD ASIAN MAN STYLEEE

Yup like everyone said, get a separate pair of prescription sunglasses if you feel like they are really worth the investment. (assuming you have to pay for them, I always wait for my insurance to let me have free glasses haha)

OR you can get those transition lenses that become sunglasses lenses under UV light :)

Guest moomoocows

my friend did this the other day while driving. she can't see when she drives and the sun was in her way. but honestly i was making fun of her but she doesn't care cuz it wasn't that noticeable since we are in the car and no one can see us.

Guest X u e

Tried it before, felt terribly uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I have a super low nose bridge and my head is wider than normal ==;;

But try get yourself perscription sunglasses. C:

Guest melodrama

like others mentioned, you can replace your sungls lenses w/ tinted lenses that have your Rx in them. (you can keep the same tint or change it to your liking~ darker, lighter, diff colors, gradient or solid, etc.) or like somebody else mentioned, you can get transitions, which basically turn your regular clear lenses into "sungls" depending on the amt of sunlight. for ex, when you're inside, they'll act as normal gls. when you're in the shade, the lenses start to have a darker tint that will get even darker when you're outside. you can also get them in diff colors. the thing w/ transitions is that it takes a lil bit of time for them to "transition".. it's not like wha-bam, they're sungls! to be honest, i think you should just replace your sungls lenses.. placing sungls on top of your regular gls gets stuffy, no? =) i like ur gls btw.

Guest yellow submarine

i tried doing this once. but having 2 frames on my face was just too heavy for my nose bridge. and i felt silly doing it =P

Guest albasian

Thanks for the replies!

For those who have prescription sunglasses: Is it a hassle to have to change your glasses, though? Like if you're driving against the sun and you have your sunglasses on but you turn and there's shadows, but the sun isn't blazing in your face, wouldn't that be hard to change from sunglasses to glasses while driving? O_o

I'm not just using them for driving though, I'll probably be wearing them out whenever its sunny.

I'm assuming sunglasses lenses work the same as prescription glasses? I dunno if my parents are willing to shell out so much money for lenses (glasses/bad eyesight runs in the family so my prescription is pretty strong and I need to like special order those super-thin lenses which are usually over $200)

I don't really feel uncomfortable wearing two glasses (lol would this make me like, 6-eyes instead of 4-eyes?) But I do have a low nose bridge or whatever and the sunglasses usually sit lower than my normal glasses so you can see the top of the frame of my glasses from behind the sunglasses :x

Guest kireisnowtenshi

I do that sometimes lol. But Its only when I dont have prescription sunglasses. Im not like walking around with them 24/7 or anything though lol. I do it if I happen to be driving facing the sun...or when I have too many things in my hands...or if im just being silly lol but usually I just take off my regular glasses and wear sunglasses.

Its really a good investmant to just buy prescription sunglasses. Atleast people wont want to borrow them : ) And its really easy to just buy a good supporting frame from somewhere and just get the lenses put in : )

Guest choux.pastri

I have the same frame of your glasses (only hers are lime green =D) I don't wear Sunglasses over them though, only because it's incredibly uncomfortable, and you can see the color like a green traffic light. I didn't know at the time I bought mine that I could get Transitions (probably wouldn't have because she has to get the thin lenses, because of horrid eyes)  but if you're willing to shell out the cash prescriptioned sunglasses are great, price wise I'd wait for a good deal, which usually happens closer to the end of fall. (beginning of school)

Do you not like contacts or just find them bothersome?

I go back and forth between contacts and glasses, though glasses I wear about 80% of the time because, they're awesome.

Guest melodrama

I'm not just using them for driving though, I'll probably be wearing them out whenever its sunny.

I'm assuming sunglasses lenses work the same as prescription glasses? I dunno if my parents are willing to shell out so much money for lenses (glasses/bad eyesight runs in the family so my prescription is pretty strong and I need to like special order those super-thin lenses which are usually over $200)

I don't really feel uncomfortable wearing two glasses (lol would this make me like, 6-eyes instead of 4-eyes?) But I do have a low nose bridge or whatever and the sunglasses usually sit lower than my normal glasses so you can see the top of the frame of my glasses from behind the sunglasses :x

do you have vision insurance? usu insurance like vsp covers single vx lenses, UV, tint.. you probably get high-index (which thins out high Rx lenses if you have coke-bottle lenses like me hehe) but that's not usu $200 o__o

neways, as a fellow asian, i can totally relate to having no bridge, which makes wearing sungls such a pain -__-; if your sungls sit lower than you would like (they probably rest on your cheeks, huh? haha so when you smile, they rise up? ^^;), go to an optometrist/ optician & get them adjusted.. there are ways to make them sit higher and fit more tightly around your face. also, your aviators most likely have nose pads so you can adjust those.. your plastic frames probably don't & if they bother you, there are stick-on nose pads that can be added. i would just say.. go to an office & get your sungls adjusted while you're wearing your everyday gls.

Guest andchristinesays

Thanks for the replies!

For those who have prescription sunglasses: Is it a hassle to have to change your glasses, though? Like if you're driving against the sun and you have your sunglasses on but you turn and there's shadows, but the sun isn't blazing in your face, wouldn't that be hard to change from sunglasses to glasses while driving? O_o

I had mine tinted a light brown gradient (original color of sunglasses lenses anyway) so that it starts dark at the top and gets lighter towards the bottom.

1000933.jpg

It actually does block out the sun well because I hate driving with that visor down. Sometimes I still wear them even after the sun has just set because they're still light enough. Also, there's no need to change to glasses when in the shadows. It's not as dark as you think if you have yours tinted a little light like mine!

I definitely suggest you to get prescription sunglasses instead of wearing sunglasses over your prescription glasses. If the day is sunny then just wear your sunglasses when you get in the car so that while you drive and the sun suddenly hit your face you wouldn't have to switch from your glasses to sunglasses. As long as you choose sunglasses that are not too dark yet still give you good coverage for those really sunny days.

Archived