Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think benzoyl peroxide ruined my face

Replies

• oyayoyay :B Posts: 234Member
    OMG. I bought the clean&clear BP and used it for like 3 nights
    and one day i woke up and took a shower and my whole face was red, and throughout the day my face was itchy.
    So I went to the doctor and they said my face probbaly was allergic to some product...
    So i stopped using it and it went away the next day :|
    It also made my right eye swell up...

Oh also doctor told me not to put anything on my face for like a week..to make the redness/itchiness go away
    So just use water to wash your face and put a moisturizer that won't irritate.
  • BoAFriendBoAFriend Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,821Member

IDOL

edited July 2010
    Muichih wrote:
    it sounds like the BP really dried out your skin. to rehydrate your skin, anything with OIL will be very moisturizing and won't sting like regular lotions.

Extra virgin olive oil, Jojoba Oil, coconut butter, cocoa butter oil, etc! anything that is oil or lotion that sounds buttery will help the flakey-ness

Yeah I have this organic beauty oil blend. But I think for now I might not use anything.

PeaceOfCake wrote on 03 July 2010 - 12:13 AM:

Have you tried applying a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil to your face overnight? It can help re-hydrate the skin and reduce redness. Also, instead of hot water use cold water to wash your face, since hot water can dry out your skin.

The most important thing, though, is to have a lot of patience since the damage from bp will take more than just a few days to recover from. :)

I tried EVOO last summer and woo...that stuff DOES NOT work with my skin. If anything, I think it's what started my whole problem w/ facial skin irritation/redness. I used to never have issues with face irritation before, only acne. But now I have the best of both worlds. FML

And haha I wish I had patience, but the one thing I have absolutely no patience to is my skin. It's already been a week and there hasn't been major improvement
  • cherubiecherubie Posts: 252Member
    I didn't read through everyone's response, so sorry if this is redundant/not helpful:

First, I would suggest using a lower dose of BP. I use 2.5% from acne . org, and it said that 2.5% BP is shown to be just as effective as 10% in treating acne, but it doesn't irritate your skin as much because of the lower dosage. Do some research on this, if it's true, I would really recommend acne . org's BP, I've been using it for 3 years myself.

Second, I myself have tried "natural" approaches, from black soap, to tea tree oil...to aloe vera and apple cider vinegar, nothing worked. It only irritated my skin even more. Natural doesn't always mean better. I stopped using BP for about a month, and tried all these different things. Now I'm back to BP again...

Third, maybe don't mess with your face too much for now (seems like you're already doing this). Since you're seeing a derm anyway, don't put too many products on it. You'd be amazed at how well your own body heals itself without the "help" of external factors.
  • `prince`prince Posts: 118Member
    why don't you just try normal bar soaps for a while? nothing fancy, just let your skin breathe for a while and relax.
    also, consider the water you're washing your face with; where it comes from and the temperature you wash in because it's just as important as the cleaner you use.

i dunno if anyone suggested this but try to steam your face a couple of times a week. i dunno exactly how it helps but, for me, it relaxes my skin a lot and makes it feel cleaner and new.
  • tinatran_tinatran_ canada! 8DPosts: 4,988Member

IDOL

i use 10% BP too.. since she said it seems a bit dry, maybe you should invest in a good moisturizer and use it in the morning after you wash your face.. if you're looking for an oil-free moisturizer and you have oily skin, i recommend using Shiseido Pureness Matifying Moisturizer. =D
    take a peek at my sunshine.jpg
    10 pairs of eyelashes = $8 SHIPPED?! =O
  • aquare9iaaquare9ia USAPosts: 60Member
    I've recently had bouts of rosacea/eczema/unknown redness/itchy reaction to products.

Can you tell me a bit of what the skin texture is like? You said that you previously had acne breakouts in the past. I'm assuming it was over a larger area, since it is a bit extreme to apply 10% BP to the entire face. It is typically used as a spot treatment for some.

If you're having issues with red skin, that means it's inflamed. Inflammation can be calmed down by a few methods (NONE of which I'm advising you to try, please see a primary care physician first). Typically all doctors will prescribe for eczema is cortical steroids in a topical form (read: hydrocortisone 1%), but it's not advised for the skin on the face. If it's very, very bad and itchy, you may use it once to calm it down, but be patient as it takes 15 min or so to take effect. For lotion, I was using just Aveeno colloidal lotion. It is not specifically marketed for the face or body, but I tried it anyways. Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties, and it really helped calm my skin down.

But again, if you can't get a derm appointment on time, go see a primary care. They can be just as effective in prescribing medications or narrowing down your condition if you provide a GOOD PATIENT HISTORY. Changes in your habits, food changes, skincare changes, etc etc. It's no derm, but they may be able to help (for a fraction of the price and time).

Good luck!
  • lovesicleslovesicles Posts: 2,825Member
    LoveStrangled wrote on 02 July 2010 - 04:16 AM:

Have you tried applying Vaseline instead of moisturizers? I think Vasiline is probably the least chemical moisturizer ad safest there is.

i'm sorry but WHYYYYYYYY would you ever put vaseline on your face? that's like... a definite no-no!
    oh hi.
  • .Demy.Demy MichiganPosts: 820Member

ROOKIE

edited July 2010
    If you are a person that does not use BP on a regular basis this is very common. Benzoyl Peroxide is a VERY, VERY potent drug. Some of the side effects can be redness, itchiness and peeling especially if you are using such a concentrated dose as the 10%. Also, a part of the population can be diagnosed as allergic to BP, so it's a possibility that you may be part of that percentage.

My guess though, is that using the really strong BP on a face that isn't normally accustomed to using so much of it in such a high dose caused some irritation to your raw, open skin after the facial.

2.5% BP is just as effective as 5% and 10% but causes a LOT less irritation to the skin. I suggest using that next time.

My suggestion is to just not apply a lot of other products to your face.
    If I were you I would try to put as LITTLE on my face as possible right now after the BP shock.
    Just wash it with a mild cleanser, spot treat carefully and moisturize with an oil free moisturizer.
    Don't go experimenting with hydrocorto-whatever creams and steroid ointments. The last thing your skin needs is another shock.

Also, don't be afraid of BP. If you really wanna try using it-- and I highly recommend it, the stuff is fabulous-- start with small doses and a MUCH smaller concentration, like the 2.5% once a day :)
    ♥♥♥
  • jennjenn Posts: 799Member

IDOL

Sounds like you have irritation And allergies. Th e 10% is strong and dried out your skin plus your skin itches after using so that is an allergy. I've tried benzyl peroxide before and it made my face so itchy And red I wanted to itch my face off. So your esthesticiN shouldn't force you to use it or let her know you're allergic. Eventually it will go awAy. If you go to a derm the dr only can prescribe to soothe The itch.
    instagram.com/jenneatsfood
    myfab5.com/jenneatsfood
  • hydraskylarhydraskylar Posts: 220Member

ROOKIE

edited July 2010
    so glad I've stumbled on this topic. I've always had a bad case with acne since middle school so in high school, my mom finally convinced me to go see a dermatologist who subscribed me 5% benzoyl peroxide and a soap called Purpose. Even though I only applied them when I have acne and not on a daily basis, they really dried up my skin. I told my dermatologist but he said to continue using them (must be the cosmetic type). I don't even put anything on my face, no makeup, no cleanser, toner, and at the time, I didn't even use sunscreen.

Now, I've stopped the soap and benzol peroxide, use face sunscreen almost daily (it's sunny here) and only apply light makeup once in a while (maybe twice a year!) but the damage is done and my face isn't getting any better. My face is so dry and scaly that no matter what type of makeup foundation I use, it shows! There'd be patches of peeling skin on my face. I tried lotion and Vaseline but still, nothing, the lotion actually made it worse because my face couldn't absorb the thing, so a layer of lotion just sit there, dried on my face!

I think I'll try the honey or virgin oil methods someone mentioned in this thread but really, I just regret of ever using bezol peroxide at all <_<
  • smirk_itsmirk_it Posts: 327Member
    cherubie wrote on 03 July 2010 - 08:16 AM:

I didn't read through everyone's response, so sorry if this is redundant/not helpful:

First, I would suggest using a lower dose of BP. I use 2.5% from acne . org, and it said that 2.5% BP is shown to be just as effective as 10% in treating acne, but it doesn't irritate your skin as much because of the lower dosage. Do some research on this, if it's true, I would really recommend acne . org's BP, I've been using it for 3 years myself.

Second, I myself have tried "natural" approaches, from black soap, to tea tree oil...to aloe vera and apple cider vinegar, nothing worked. It only irritated my skin even more. Natural doesn't always mean better. I stopped using BP for about a month, and tried all these different things. Now I'm back to BP again...

Third, maybe don't mess with your face too much for now (seems like you're already doing this). Since you're seeing a derm anyway, don't put too many products on it. You'd be amazed at how well your own body heals itself without the "help" of external factors.

I agree 100%. 2 years ago, I tried to go the natural route, i.e.: oil cleansing method, cave man method, natural oil products and my skin became worst & constantly broke out. I switched to the acne.org's routine and my skin has been improving gradually. Just make sure you use gentle products and protect it from the sun.
    Illusions never changed into something real

• .mio amore..mio amore. Posts: 279Member
    I used 10% Benzoyl Peroxide on my cheeks one night,
    and the next morning my whole cheeck was red, warm,
    and itchy. Never again. I've always had a little big of
    redness in my cheecks, blemishes or whatever. My mom
    told me to put thinly sliced cucumbers on my skin. It
    works, well it did for me. Of course you won't notice a
    huge change after you do it once, but I do this once a week
    and the redness went away.
    I wouldn't try too many different products on your skin as
    it can create more redness and irritation.

I hope this helps and your skin will get better!

Follow Me on Twitter ^^
  • MarshmallagathaMarshmallagatha Posts: 275Member
    Are you asian? XD Because, obviously, try some asian products, because they're especially designed for asian skin. You should try a oil-free sun-screen? I actually hear that the Acnes mentholatum sun screen is good.
    mentholatum-acnes-uv-tint.jpg
    Maybe you should try it :)
    Just keep up with a routine that works for you, and it will go :)
  • kissez*kissez* YEAH OH YEAH Posts: 8,252Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Littlofoott wrote on 02 July 2010 - 01:37 PM:

Years ago Ill apply benzoyl peroxide every night before I went to sleep. My face would turn red , painful, dry and had a stingy feeling if moved. Not knowing then it was BP, I blamed it on the acne and dry skin. But then I ran out of the BP product and had to wait 2 weeks for a appointment with the Doctor to get a refill. During that 2 weeks of wait , I saw my face getting less red etc. Then i realized it was the medicine that irritated me. [ Dumb how we realize things when its too late] . From then on, I took the natural approach to clear my face. I dropped all products that weren't natural. I used Burts bee, Witch hazel ,aloe vera and did honey/veggie facials. Over time with the changes, I was free from all that I put my face in, with "medical enhanced products"

If you have any questions on the use of the products , feel free to pm me.
    Be glad to help.

I agree with this poster.
    I use all natural stuff like yogurt/honey masks to calm my skin and they really help. There are hundreds of threads on natural regimens on Soompi - you should try a few of them out and see if any works for you.

"It was tender and mild, like baby Jesus."

FORMSPRING
  • strawberrimonke513strawberrimonke513 Posts: 75Member
    I'm not gonna try this immediately but it could be worth a shot in the future or in case things don't get better. Exactly what type of Dove bar soap are you talking about (since there are many different kinds now such as Original, the cucumber moisture one, etc)? And isn't bar soap in general a big no no for facial usage (can be too drying)? And also, I looked up that Eucerin Intensive Plus Repair Lotion and it's not targeted for facial skin usage. I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but I'm just curious as to what you have to say.

I meant the original white soap not the sensitive solution. The Dove Soap was recommended by both my allergist and dermatologist and, for as long as I've been using it, it's definitely gotten better. Since that's just my personal experience, I can't say for certain. but there's a huge prejudice against bar soap. Bar soap is associated with harsh ingredients and detergents but Dove soap does not contain detergents and contains 1/4 cream so that it is less drying AND less harsh ingredients. The last part seems unlikely but think a moment. Bar soaps have less ingredients than any other cleansers such as foaming, liquid, cream. Foaming, liquid, and cream cleansers tend to go bad more easily and therefore they have to put more preservatives in these cleansers. This is important because more ingredients means more likely you are to be allergic to ingredient. All in all, it's better to use just water to clean if you can live without cleansers. Personally, I can't because I feel super dirty >.<

The lotion is only one of the lotions that the allergist gave to me. Its important have no dry skin because it means your skin barriers damaged. If your skin barriers damaged, then its easier for environmental pollutants and allergens to enter and wreak havoc all over again. Its better to be greasy (ewwww, i know) than to have dry skin during my case. Other lotions she gave me were eucerin calming creme, aquaphor ointment, and aveeno lotion. She also told me clinique ddml was fine. But as your skin becomes damaged, it becomes more and more sensitive. If you get a lotion that doesn't work for you, it could trigger inflammation all over again. Eucerin Intensive was the only lotion at that point that didn't sting and start the burning feeling all over again for me. As far as I know, it's not targeted toward either the body or the face. It's noncomedogenic and can be used on the face. However, you might not like it because it has AHA, which removes the damaged skin layer faster, basically a gentle exfoliate but it also increases ur chances of sun damage because the exfoliation reveals brand-new skin? anyways, if u dun feel like trying it out, it's fine, but I recommend if any lotion or product triggers that burning feeling, to wash it off as soon as possible. I learned the immunology of this but I think I've written too much already. hahaha :sweatingbullets: hope u feel betterrrrrr
  • CalligraphyCalligraphy Posts: 122Member

ROOKIE

Whenever my face gets super irritated (red, blotchy, dry, burning... etc!), I quit using everything I normally use. It's best to leave your skin alone than to try curing it with a bunch of chemicals.
    Natural and organic products don't work for everyone but if you can, make yourself a honey & yogurt mask to sooth your skin. Or you can try brewing a cup of chamomile tea then chill the tea in the fridge for a bit & use a face mask in cloth form and leave it on your face for aslong as you like. A lot of people buy aloe vera gel at drugstores but you can buy the actual plant itself & it works much better than what you get in a bottle.

It can't be helped but try to stop messing with your face all the time. Skin is like a girl during a neverending period and you don't mess with it.
  • hydraskylarhydraskylar Posts: 220Member

ROOKIE

smirk_it wrote on 03 July 2010 - 08:56 PM:

I agree 100%. 2 years ago, I tried to go the natural route, i.e.: oil cleansing method, cave man method, natural oil products and my skin became worst & constantly broke out. I switched to the acne.org's routine and my skin has been improving gradually. Just make sure you use gentle products and protect it from the sun.

I've been meaning to ask about the cavemen regimen so while you've mentioned it here, can I ask you something. There's a topic here at soompi about the cavemen regimen and 1 at acne.org. Both are called the cavemen regimen but one said you should only wash your face with water while the other said you should NOT wash your face. I haven't read all of the threads so correct me if I'm wrong. When you said you used the cavemen regiment, is that the not-washing-your-face-using-water method? Does that really work?
  • kawaiiboba22kawaiiboba22 USPosts: 66Member

TRAINEE

The same thing happened to me too!

I used Benzoyl peroxide for my acne and the next morning
    my face was all red and itchy. I think it was too strong for me
    since it was 10%, but my skin is just too sensitive for it.
  • epicpwnageepicpwnage Posts: 1,027Member

IDOL

10% Benzoyl Peroxide? That's really high. Try maybe a 5% or a 2.5%.

You are not suppose to put it on your face every night. Only every other night.
    MARCH 23 2012 IS THE REAPING.
    Team Peeta <3
  • BoAFriendBoAFriend Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,821Member

IDOL

edited July 2010
    Wow, I'm honestly very moved by how much everyone is reaching out to help. I really appreciate it. :)

Not trying to jinx myself, but I think the irritation has improved a bit the past few days. I know I said I wasn't going to use anything on my face, but right now I'm just dabbing bits of Aquaphor Ointment onto any areas of dryness. I cleanse w/ Cetaphil morning and night, and apply my Mentholatum Clear Water SPF 50 PA+++ sunscreen during the day. Also, there's the water mist thing my mom gave me to use...it supposedly has some ionized water complex that can help skin recover yada yada. It's honestly just like water, but I mist that onto my face after cleansing.

Are you asian? XD Because, obviously, try some asian products, because they're especially designed for asian skin. You should try a oil-free sun-screen? I actually hear that the Acnes mentholatum sun screen is good.

Haha yeah I'm Chinese. Yeah a lot of people have tried the whole "You're Asian so use products targeted towards Asian skin" and I tried buying into that, but all the Asian skincare products I used were TERRIBLE, and I'm talking like Shiseido too. Cleansers left my face with that rubbery, wax feeling. *shudder*. Only Asian skincare product I use and have been using for years now is milk sunscreen (ex. Mentholatum, Kose, SunPlay). I haven't used the Acnes one you suggested simply because I feel the SPF is too low. I actually bought the Acnes cleanser a few weeks ago since a friend of mine has had greatly improved skin from it, but I probably won't be touching that one for a while. I was totally ripped off too...$17 for that sh--. Aigoo