takoyaki anyone?

Guest traveler

Guest traveler

たこ焼き
I absolutely loooooveee takoyaki so I wanted to enlighten those who haven't heard of it.

What is takoyaki?

Takoyaki (たこ焼き or 蛸焼) (literally fried or baked octopus) is a popular Japanese dumpling made of batter, diced or whole baby octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion, topped with okonomiyaki sauce, ponzu, mayonnaise, green laver (aonori), and katsuobushi (fish shavings), first popularized in Taisho-era Osaka, where a street vendor named Endo Tomekichi is credited with its invention in 1935. Takoyaki can be found in shops called issen-yoshoku (壹銭洋食), which roughly translates to "one-penny Western food". There is a similarly named dish called ikayaki but it is a broiled whole squid and bears no resemblance. Yaki is derived from "yaku" (焼く) which simply means "to bake or grill" in Japanese, and can be found in the names of other Japanese cuisine items such as teriyaki or sukiyaki.

credits to wikipedia

How does takoyaki look?

takoyaki.jpg

It might not look like the best thing to eat, but trust me. It's absolutely delicious.

How do you make takoyaki?

Yeah. It takes maddd skills.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crescendoll

I have been wanting to try this for the longest time, but I can't find it anywhere in Japanese restaurants here in Boston! :\

There is a Japanese food stand in the Shirokiya food court here that sells it! It's fantastic, I haven't had it in a long time and this makes me want to go get some. I remember last time I tried it, I was so excited I popped the whole thing in my mouth at once and burned my tongue. Lol, stupid. :P

Guest ilikeyammyfoods

my mom tried to make it before but i haven't had it at any restaurants or anything.

the sauce tastes weird. :/

Guest lulybonynsungie

ooooooooo they look DELICIOUS! i miss them...where can i get them in sd....booo

Guest awesooome

Mmm.. They looks really yummy. My aunt made some one time, but I didn't get to taste them! :( I'm anticipating their taste in my mouth soon. :)

Guest Clu3less

I have been wanting to try this for the longest time, but I can't find it anywhere in Japanese restaurants here in Boston! :\

One of the food stands in porter square has takoyaki.

i want to try the ginormous takoyaki balls they have in japan!

Guest tokurei

i love takoyaki. (:

it's a dish i always buy whenever i'm in japanese restaurants or if i see a little store selling them.

Guest daulism

hell. yes. :D

i love this stuff! the tea station thats nearby here is pretty good (a bit too gourmet with the excess mayo)

the one from mitsuwa is best, though!~

Harharhar, I've heard about these a lot in j-dramas and mangas, lol. They make it seem like it's so tasty, but the moment I read that it said "octopus" it's out of my list. I absolutely hate sea food! T_T To those who've eaten it: does it taste like an octopus?

Guest 정유미

it's a little too... err, fishy for my taste. the toppings make it taste kinda bad, imo. XD my mom loves this stuff, though. it takes mad skills to make, lol.

Archived