Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

If my gum bleeds easily, does this mean I have a gum disease?

How can remove the problem?
I know mouthwash can help, but what kind of mouthwash should I use? Which brand is the most effective in getting rid of gum disease?

I've been flossing and brushing my teeth harder.

Replies

• korean-gangsterkorean-gangster Posts: 42Banned
    if ur gum bleed it means that u dont brush ur teeth enough and that ur gums arent used to it u should brush everyday and ur gums will get used too it and wont bleed
  • peppermintsugarpeppermintsugar Posts: 5,693Friend of Soompi
    QUOTE (korean-gangster @ Dec 14 2009, 01:45 AM) »
    if ur gum bleed it means that u dont brush ur teeth enough and that ur gums arent used to it u should brush everyday and ur gums will get used too it and wont bleed

This, also, brushing HARDER won't help you, it'll only irritate them more, you don't need to brush hard, just brush. Twice a day is recommended, but I only brush once a day and my gums and teeth are fine.
    4kjKV.gif memoirs.twitter.tumblr. 2Vdge.gif
    ~1.11.09♡
  • mrsjungyunho_mrsjungyunho_ Posts: 269Member
    do not brush harder! it's not good for your gums!!
    cut down on toothpaste - too much toothpaste makes the toothbrush bristles limp and unable to clean properly. Oh I was told by my orthodontist that if my gums are bleeding, brushing for 30 mins daily without any toothpaste should solve the problem.

• plumeriasplumerias myao .. ( ???)??? PhiladelphiaPosts: 1,526Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Make sure you're consistently flossing every day. I didn't floss at all when I had braces (eww, I know lol) and when I got them off I started again and they were bleeding and sore for about the first week :/ But after that, they were a lot healthier and stopped bleeding.

I don't use mouthwash anymore. If anything, I swish with a peroxide rinse.
    ‎"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would  be very silent if no birds sang except the best." -Henry Van Dyke
    ♥123106
    411&Shop&Tumblr
  • if your gums are also red and swollen, you probably have gingivitis
    it's basically a problem of oral hygiene, so more flossing, better brushing, mouthwash etc. will fix the problem
  • yoko102308yoko102308 Posts: 867Member
    I brush my teeth twice daily D:

& mine bleed easily too. I never thought anything about it

I use colgate mint toothpaste. . It kinda burns

o___0

Is that bad?!
    Stay Gold
  • achuachu A. Posts: 733Member

IDOL

you need more vitamin c.
  • SearesrayneSearesrayne yay areaPosts: 915Member

IDOL

Also brushing too hard cause wear down your gums.... >_> image
  • koreanyykoreanyy Posts: 19Member
    edited December 2009
    usually when gums bleed -esp from flossing, people stop because they think it's bad but actually its a sign that u aren't flossing enough.Ideally try to floss every night. if your gums bleed from brushing try maybe using a brush with soft bristles that may help
  • FDTxtianshixFDTxtianshix Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,046Member
    You could have gingivitis. Go to your dentist/dental hygienist for an oral wash. They will use special equipment to remove deposits around the barrier between your tooth and gums. I strongly suggest you do this because it has happened to me before (to the point my gums felt like they were being stabbed when I flossed. Don't know how I got gingivitis since I brush, floss and mouthwash daily).
    Visit3.gif
    'WE LOVE JJ' T-shirts, "Cheer You Up" T-shirts, 2PM Lightsticks, SNSD Oh! Folders, New SHINee Cell Charms and MORE!
    Jjang Shoppe Status
  • bokaboka MelbournePosts: 2,753Friend of Soompi
    edited December 2009
    An interesting thing to note about gingivitis is that the constant inflammation that it causes can damage your heart and the blood vessels around the rest of your body, reducing your life expectancy.

I used to have gingivitis until my dentist taught me how to floss properly... Overnight, I went from bleeding nearly every time I brushed to never bleeding ever again. Basically you have to scrape the floss up and down the sides of your teeth and bring it down below the gum line as far as you comfortably can - I suspect you'll bleed a fair bit the first few times you do this.

Also, I once thought electric toothbrushes were gimmicky but I picked up an Oral-B AdvancePower when it was on sale and I noticed that it cleans my teeth more quickly/thoroughly and you don't need as much toothpaste. I notice when I floss after I use the electric brush that my teeth are generally pretty clean, compared to using a manual brush.
    Please remember to floss your teeth.
    Posts must be 20 characters or longer. Do not bypass the swear filter.
    Please argue your point without generalizing or name-calling.
  • manunmanun Posts: 140Member
    edited December 2009
    QUOTE (boka @ Dec 15 2009, 07:49 AM) »
    An interesting thing to note about gingivitis is that the constant inflammation that it causes can damage your heart and the blood vessels around the rest of your body, reducing your life expectancy.

I used to have gingivitis until my dentist taught me how to floss properly... Overnight, I went from bleeding nearly every time I brushed to never bleeding ever again. Basically you have to scrape the floss up and down the sides of your teeth and bring it down below the gum line as far as you comfortably can - I suspect you'll bleed a fair bit the first few times you do this.

Also, I once thought electric toothbrushes were gimmicky but I picked up an Oral-B AdvancePower when it was on sale and I noticed that it cleans my teeth more quickly/thoroughly and you don't need as much toothpaste. I notice when I floss after I use the electric brush that my teeth are generally pretty clean, compared to using a manual brush.

Im a dentist student (well was , going for medical studies next semester but was half done with the education).

I bolded what i thought was important, when u brush ur teeths its important to have a 45 degree angle towards the gums ( u shouldnt brush the gums to hard or youll brush it away, see image for reference)

Brush every area of the teeth and make sure to use enough with toothpaste (with flouride) and brush 3 times every tooth area. U should try to brush every area of the teeth three times atleast. Dont brush to hard but moderate (brushing to hard might damage ur enamel) and use a soft brush (never use hard brush + brushing hard!! , u will get damage on the enamel).

The main reason why u have gingivitis is because dental plaque (bacteria biofilm) is on the teeth and can create toxins that will damage/ irritate ur gums.
    Then u have reminerilastion of the dental plaque that will create calculus (which also irritates the gums, basicly anything can work as an irritant because the gums are sensitive. Even food that gets stucked will create higher risk of bacteria which is called "food impaction" and when bacteria forms they will give out endotoxins). The thing with calculus is that it might get to reminiralised which makes it hard to floss away so u might need to meet a dental hygenist to get it away.
    Make sure to use flouride and different rinsers have different effects, so u might want to check out how them work.
    For example, listerine is more of plaque remover with less flouride while there are others that have more profylactic effect with alot more flouride.

If you dont take care of ur teeth u might get periodontitis which can lead to loss of teeth, but its mostly for people with genetical defects (too aggressive immune respons , and most of them are from african origin).
    You can read more here if ur intrested and ask if u want to know anything more image
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodontitis

But basicly, brush well, try to take away the calculus, use mouth rinse with flouride.
    Another tip is that u brush ur teeth and use mouth rinser afterwards (after using the mouth rinser and spitting out dont rinse ur mouth with water, otherwise the flouride wont have any time to affect the enamel)

Flouride works in two ways:
    1. remineralisation of the enamel after acid attack from bacteria
    2. can stop some bacteria activity (by stopping bacteria growth)
    IPB Image
  • PaaPaa Posts: 199Member
    a pharmacist told me that my gum was bleeding. everytime i brush it starts to bleed.

she gave me tips:
    - add table spoon of salt into water and gargle it
    - brush normally
    - dont apply a lot of pressure while brushing

the salt nad water helped and you can see the difference my gums werent as imflamed and nomore bleeding because the salt kills the bacteria.
  • larislaris Posts: 1,825Member
    after listening to the well-informed dentist student i've come to realize i need fluoride mouthwash image

• rofflesroffles Posts: 383Member
    Bleeding gums?! You should consult with Dr.House. It might be Lupus.
  • yako89yako89 Posts: 85Member
    i went to the dentist and told her my gum bleeds everytime i brush; so she looked and noticed that my gums are swollen and asked about my sleeping habit and it told her... i cant breathe through my nose when i lie down but with my mouth, same when i sleep; so the air dries out my gums a become swollen and bleeds when i brush it ~

but its better to go to the dentist to pin down why your gums are really bleeding!
  • |[eternally lonely]||[eternally lonely]| my own little fantasy landPosts: 671Member
    dont use to much mouth wash or try to find one with no alcohol in it because they have studies that says prelong use of it could cause mouth cancer because people tend to use it everday and most mouth wash have alcohol. thats what my boss who is a dentist tells me so must be some how right image
    and try to go for more regular first to dentist to remove all the calcus and stains good luck with that
  • jsung8070jsung8070 Posts: 325Member
    Everyone here is wrong and you have scurvy.
  • defrolicdefrolic Posts: 46Member
    If your gum bleeds easily then that means you aren't brushing your teeth as well as you should be.
    Even if you might not have a gum disease, you're on your way to having one. Don't be afraid of the blood and/or slight pain and just keep brushing. The blood isn't significant anyway; it's all dirty blood that you should get out.

Spend a longer time brushing and checking key areas such as the teeth further back as well as the corners of your front teeth. Also the back of your teeth as well! image
  • sussus AussiE lANdPosts: 3,213Member
    its probabli gingervitis.. the onset of gum disease
    that is preventable
    but once u get gum disease its not

so u better brush clean floss n rinse to get ur teeth bak to a healthy state!@
    see a dentist too