Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online Dating

Replies

• xstarBURSTxstarBURST no. somewhere in a box.Posts: 4,724Member

IDOL

awdark wrote on 02 April 2012 - 09:48 PM:

We do have the soompi network forum http://www.soompi.com/forums/forum/50-canada/ sometimes they do arrange soompi meets there.

I know, I met some soompiers in the past. I never see them any more T__T they organized one a few years back but I couldn't attend it. The older people are gone.
  • miss.jmiss.j Posts: 52Member
    I think it's really a hit or miss. Just like in the real world. It's just a different way of meeting people.
  • x-serendipity-xx-serendipity-x Posts: 192Member

ROOKIE

&rea wrote on 02 April 2012 - 07:12 PM:

Awww, don't be! It's not you :phew:

lol!

I'd love to meet some of you Soompiers too! Always nice to make some new friends! (though I totally have a girl crush on &rea lol). Who else is from Vancouver?
    FotoFlexer_Photo-1.jpg
  • MianhaeyoMianhaeyo Posts: 32Member
    I have dated online couple of times, but I just don't believe that ever works out.
    So I'm going back to school this year and I'm hoping to meet someone there, in real life.
    I would not sign up for a dating site or anything. I'm too young for that, in my opinion.
  • dchudchu Bay AreaPosts: 160Member
    edited April 2012
    Mianhaeyo wrote on 13 April 2012 - 05:39 AM:

I have dated online couple of times, but I just don't believe that ever works out.
    So I'm going back to school this year and I'm hoping to meet someone there, in real life.
    I would not sign up for a dating site or anything. I'm too young for that, in my opinion.

This might just be a semantics argument, but this is not even close to accurate. There are plenty of flaws endemic to online dating and I much prefer approaching girls in real life, but just because you haven't had good experiences doesn't mean online never works out.
  • kittenpartykittenparty Posts: 19Member
    I feel it's a natural progression since a lot of people are all about texting and using the internet. I can understand the suspicion because people sort of 'hide behind' the internet quite often. At the same time, it can be easier to communicate because talking in person can be a bit more intimidating for some people rather than casually chatting online. I don't think it's silly if people meet online and start dating each other. It's just another medium of communication, after all. My two cents!
  • XyeunXyeun zBanned USAPosts: 4,105Member

IDOL

edited April 2012
    I recently moved to a place where I knew no one and registered myself for okcupid to make/meet new friends as I am busy with work most of the time. Met someone who was from where I moved from and was living in the current town I was too. After a few days of inbox messaging, we decided to meet today. It turned into kind of a date. We went to eat first. From there, we exchanged numbers and discussed our schedules. Lol, and .. out of nowhere I mentioned that I wanted to go see an aquarium. He was like, "Let`s gooo." I thought he was saying some other time until I looked at him funny and he told me, "Right after we eat. Let's make a run for it and go see fish." Sadly, we made it there a little too late so we went to see a movie instead. Watched 21 Jump Street. Hilarious and great movie! Anyways, the guy was really sweet and we held hands after leaving. He sent me home safe and here I am.
    If you won`t use your heart, who cares if it gets broken? Your heart might still be broken, but it isn`t gone.
    Member of Soompi Private Investigating Team. Notorious S.P.I.T.
  • MentorMentor Posts: 424Member, New Member

IDOL

709394 wrote on 01 November 2009 - 07:37 PM:

*This post is meant for the 20+ people, please don't move to Love & Relationships ...

So as most of you 20+ folks know, meeting people after college is tough. Finding a partner is even tougher. There are only so many people within your network...friends, friends of friends, colleagues...etc.

They say that online dating has started becoming more socially acceptable these days, but I feel that a certain "social stigma" still exists.

So...have you ever done online dating? Would you ever give it a go? Would you be embarrassed to tell your friends that you met your s/o through Match.com or OKcupid...or whatever else ? Do you believe that you'll ever meet a semi-decent guy/girl through online?

I haven't had the nerve to do it yet, but I'm tempted to try. I have friends that are perfectly fine, pretty, intelligent, who are also trying online dating.

I've tried Accudate. Not in particular for hooking up but they give this attractiveness scale that rates you 1-10 based on facial symetry. I thought it was pretty interesting so I tried it. The only contacts I got were phony profiles like one that claimed she was a Catholic but really was a hooker across the country. Many of the contacts were simply women interested in guys to subscribe to their chat line or looking for a sugar daddy. 
      If it were easy, then everybody would be doing it.
  • writersblockcjhsuwritersblockcjhsu Lucky Lesbian Posts: 135Member
    So, I met my girlfriend for three and going on infinity years on myspace. Honestly, I wasn't looking for a relationship. It just kind of happened. I guess it just worked out. Online dating really isn't for everyone.
  • happygal2011happygal2011 Posts: 379Member

IDOL

edited May 2012
    My frez did try online dating during his uni days back in Sydney.
    He dated a Crotian gal for 3 long year - daily net meeting and chatting...cmon!! 3 long years.
    On the fourth year, he gotten his dad to sponsored the gal to Sydney for a 9mths diploma course and of course hopping for the very first time
    in 3years , they could finally hug and kiss each other physically...
    Sadly, the relationship didn't last becoz after staying together as B/Girlfrez..they fought literally every week...my goodness!!!

Online dating, please think carefully before acting...
  • x-serendipity-xx-serendipity-x Posts: 192Member

ROOKIE

Mentor wrote on 27 April 2012 - 10:26 AM:

I've tried Accudate.

Errh, I can't seem to find any info on this site you mentioned? Accudate? Just curious myself. :)
    FotoFlexer_Photo-1.jpg
  • zantac_2zantac_2 sydPosts: 3,238Member

IDOL

happygal2011 wrote on 30 April 2012 - 01:19 AM:

Online dating, please think carefully before acting...

id emphasis the blame more towards that it was a long distance relationship. doing it online just made it worst.
  • ladiixniiladiixnii Posts: 78Member
    Never did online dating nor do I plan to ever. I believe that it's better to get to meet a person naturally in real life than the net. ^^; Chatting and getting to know the person online is fine but that's all. I don't really even wanna meet anyone I know "to date" from the net. Why? I don't find it "romantic". :D I'm open minded to it but I wouldn't do it. I know it's easier to get to know someone online and become friends right away but I'd like a relationship where I could see the person right in front of me. ^^;
  • koneeekoneee san josePosts: 2,293Friend of Soompi
    edited May 2012
    ladiixnii wrote on 01 May 2012 - 12:34 PM:

Never did online dating nor do I plan to ever. I believe that it's better to get to meet a person naturally in real life than the net. ^^; Chatting and getting to know the person online is fine but that's all. I don't really even wanna meet anyone I know "to date" from the net. Why? I don't find it "romantic". :D I'm open minded to it but I wouldn't do it. I know it's easier to get to know someone online and become friends right away but I'd like a relationship where I could see the person right in front of me. ^^;
    lol, I was the same way. I wasn't planing on dating anyone I met online. But you never know. It just "happens".
    I met my current BF through OKCupid and he's probably one of the best things in my life going on right now.
    He's such a gentlemen, always surprises me with dates and other small things, and takes really good care of me.
    I never had such a thing with my past boyfriends, or maybe I was just dating a buncha losers lol and finally found someone who knows how to treat a lady.
    Though the way how we met not might be considered "romantic" but he's by far the most "romantic" person I've dated.

We had a kickass first date too. Skydiving, Ice Cream, Shooting Range. Fantastic! hahha :)
  • kounichikounichi Posts: 90Member
    I met a guy through gunbound LOL and we went out for 4, he was really nice and caring. And he was asiannnnn. I really did like him alot, and we both liked each other alot. But the distance sucked he lived in seattle -_- but now were best friends for the last 5 years. :]
  • ladiixniiladiixnii Posts: 78Member
    edited May 2012
    koneee wrote on 01 May 2012 - 07:50 PM:

lol, I was the same way. I wasn't planing on dating anyone I met online. But you never know. It just "happens".
    I met my current BF through OKCupid and he's probably one of the best things in my life going on right now.
    He's such a gentlemen, always surprises me with dates and other small things, and takes really good care of me.
    I never had such a thing with my past boyfriends, or maybe I was just dating a buncha losers lol and finally found someone who knows how to treat a lady.
    Though the way how we met not might be considered "romantic" but he's by far the most "romantic" person I've dated.

We had a kickass first date too. Skydiving, Ice Cream, Shooting Range. Fantastic! hahha :)

Aw. That's so sweet, I've always wanted to go sky diving. Well, I'm happy for the two of you. ^^ That I am. :)  Hm, I'm just iffy about dating in general I guess. lol xD xD I feel too childish but I'm getting older (my gosh) Anyway, I'm open to online dating, it works for people but I don't think it'd work for me. @.@;; I wouldn't know though right? Things do just "happen" :) I agree with you ^^
  • checocheco Posts: 38Member, New Member
    ladiixnii wrote on 01 May 2012 - 11:34 AM:

Saying you're open minded but also saying you wouldn't do it is a little contradictory, isn't it? heh

koneee wrote on 01 May 2012 - 07:50 PM:

Skydiving on the first date?! That's bada$$! Sounds awesome

kounichi wrote on 01 May 2012 - 08:02 PM:

I met a guy through gunbound LOL and we went out for 4, he was really nice and caring. And he was asiannnnn. I really did like him alot, and we both liked each other alot. But the distance sucked he lived in seattle -_- but now were best friends for the last 5 years. :]

Gunbound! Loved that game back in the day. Meeting someone through there would just be the cherry on the top haha

• happygal2011happygal2011 Posts: 379Member

IDOL

kounichi wrote on 01 May 2012 - 08:02 PM:

How do you folks went out if you mentioned he's from Seattle ?? and you !? ?
  • muggai_1muggai_1 Posts: 20Member

ROOKIE

I tried online dating last year for a little while through Plenty of Fish, and this is one of the major things I've learned from it: if you're a girl, you will for sure get dozens of messages from guys (provided that you post a picture - most guys skip over profiles that don't have a picture attached). Of course, a LOT of them will be from guys that like to swiftly go through every girl's profile to leave a short and general message. You will need to do a lot of weeding out to differentiate between the serious and the not-so-serious ones. On the other hand... guys definitely don't have as much luck. The guys I have talked to from PoF told me that they will send messages to a dozen girls, and they'd be lucky to get a single reply.

I kept two rules to myself when I went on dates with guys through PoF: first date has to be short and it must be in public. I've learned that mutual attraction is pretty much set within the first half an hour of conversation with your date - it's there or it's not. To avoid awkwardness, my dates have always been limited to 2 hrs max, and they were either over casual lucnch, coffee or bubble tea.

I recommend online dating as long as you keep it safe for yourself (hence my two rules). It was actually a pretty good experience for me! Nothing ever turned into serious relationships for me, but it gave me some dating experience that was pretty useful later on.
    bonbons
  • hb_jackpothb_jackpot Posts: 423Member

IDOL

Honestly... If I ever do online dating... I wouldn't want to meet them in real life... Is that wrong? Hahaha

I dont like physical contact... I really am an isolated person by nature :')

Online dating do kind of scare me... Watch too much 20/20 I suppose. Can't trust anyone in real life, same goes for the interweb.
    Please kindly read the signature rules.