Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

already showered & still have dandruff? flakes?

gnahkgnahk -----[hi]-----Posts: 3,876Member

IDOL

D: sorry if there's already a thread or i should had putted it somewhere else.

well. i already showered.
i wash my hair and massage and it stuff.
& i use head and shoulder.
and when my hair is dry. there's dandruff. or flakes.
and it makes me feel unclean D:

am i not washing my hair well enough?
is it the shampoo?

Replies

• kineinkinein single asian and fit ~ weeEeeeEeEe Orange County, LAPosts: 2,054Moderator

edited October 2009
    QUOTE (G-D @ Oct 28 2009, 12:05 AM) »

is it the shampoo?

How long do you scrub your hair after you add shampoo?

Try turning off the water before you apply the shampoo and thoroughly lather and scrub at your scalp.

If that doesn't work - shave your head and scrub away!

orrrrrrrrr see a dermatologist!
  • angelwings6117angelwings6117 Posts: 69Member
    QUOTE (G-D @ Oct 28 2009, 01:05 AM) »

is it the shampoo?

DON'T USE HEAD AND SHOULDERS!!! my friend had a similar problem and she went to the dermatologist while she was in Korea, and apparently they ALL tell people NOT to use head and shoulders EVERRRR.

apparently, head & shoulders stops you from having dandruff, in the beginning, because it stops your scalp skin cells from falling off...but skin cells HAVE to come off which means that after a while, you get a thick layer of dead skin cells on your scalp which starts falling of in HUGE, NOTICEABLE CLUMPS. if your dandruff is bigger than normal (it SHOULD be, like, much smaller than even a snowflake) then this is probably what's happening.

nothing beats korean brands in dealing with dandruff, but i've heard some wonderful things about neutrogena t-gel shampoo. and i have to warn you, it's probably going to take a while for all that old dandruff to come off, so continue using it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Good Luck!!!
  • suzushiisuzushii Posts: 838Member
    Are you one of those people who scratch their heads really hard, or often?

Do you massage your head really hard during washing?

If so, then stop. Be extra gentle. And get a dandruff shampoo, dandruff means you have those flakes all the time, even after washing so, it's a condition, you can cure it, but you can't just wash it off....
  • gnahkgnahk -----[hi]----- Posts: 3,876Member

IDOL

well i scrub my head for like about 1 minute-ish when i add shampoo
    o.o and i would liek to shave my head but i'd get in trouble. lol.

well i have been using head and shoulder for a long time now.
    and the dandruff started around last week.
    korean brands? i dont think i can get any korean shampoo o.o

no. i do not scratch my head often. and when i do i dont scratch it hard either.
    i stopped scratching my head really hard a while back now. so.

thanks guys (((((:

• Beautiful*NightmareBeautiful*Nightmare .What else can I be, but who I am. Posts: 1,437Member

IDOL

Try apple cider vinegar method. It works well for a lot of people.
    What you do is apply apple cider vinegar diluted 50% with water to the scalp and let dry. There is no need to rinse. The smell will go away as soon as your hair dry off.
    Or you can put the mixture into spray bottle and spray it onto your scalp and wrapped your head in a towel for 15- 1 hour before you wash your hair. you can do this once or twice a week.

You're still here but I am still the sea.
    & As peaceful as I seem,

Please don't ever turn your back on me.
  • damyoungjidamyoungji Toronto, CanadaPosts: 4,238Member

IDOL

It is most likely your shampoo.

I tried one of my friend's shampoo once and I loved it. However, after I finish showering, I realized how much dandruff there was still in my hair when I blow drying it (since I flip my hair over and they fell on my clothes). But after I stopped using it (I bought one bottle) and returned back to the shampoo brand I used to use, the problem was gone.
  • LeniLeni All Time LowPosts: 1,526Member

ROOKIE

hm well.. i used to have dandruff issues when i was younger prob. due to hormones etc. but ive been using head and shoulders ever since i was a kid.. my parents have been using it too.. in fact practically my whole family uses yet.. but i switch off and on now.. so most likely every other day i use head and shoulders and then the days that i dont i use garnier fructise for volumous hair.. =] it works for me.. you could try switching it up too..

when i first stopped using H and S. i had the same issue as angelwings said up there ^.. where you get alot of dandruff once you stop..but after like two days the dandruff disappeared and i kept using garnier itself.. but then other issues like my hair would be oily or flat started to errupt.. =[ so then i switched back to HandS and now i just swtich back and forth.. my hair looks like how it does in my display pic. .=]

my hair is the number one thing i take pride in =D

but to help you out.. you can try switching up your shampoos like i do.. or def. go talk to a dermatologist if you keep flaking.. a friend of mine actually has a scalp infection type thing where she always had dandruff and there are no meds for it.. =[ and shampoos dont help either.. .. but yeah.. good luck! hopefully its a temporary thing.. =]
    오빠! 오빠! 재재 오빠! ^____________^ 김재중, 우리 결혼하자!
  • luv_pandaluv_panda Posts: 257Member

ROOKIE

Head and Shoulders don't work!

I had alot of dandruff in yr 5 - 7 which was really bad..like wash my hair and the flakes were still there even using head and shoulders...i went to see a doctor and they prescribed me elocon lotion which I think I had a mild bout of psorasis on my scalf, it helped a little but the dandruff was still there but not as severe

So I continued to use my head and shoulders and other treatment etc

One day I went to my local pharmacy and was talking to the pharamacist about anti-dandruff shampoos they said the ones with tar in them are really good like the Neutrogena T-Gel or another one called Selsun which had selium in it..

So I got the Selsun one and omg after the first wash my dandruff was gone..literally..my head wouldn't flake untill few days later if I didn't wash it and I could use normal shampoo as well. It was amazing! Its only meant to be used twice a week. You can get the less stonger version for dandruff control but I got the yellow bottle orginally because it was so bad but now I have the lower concentration and use it around once a week to control the danduff and use normal shampoo on other days and its been like 8 years now and there hasn't been any problems!

Funny thing was that when my selsun rang out I still had head and shoulders and it cause my dandruff to come back!! So I yeah NEVER using head and shoulders again, full of marketing crap. like you never see Selsun advertised and it works wonders!!
  • AestasAestas Posts: 2,282Member
    i use to have problems with flaking, but after switching shampoos, i realized maybe the previous shampoo was the problem. i suggest switching brands and also the apple cider vinegar rinse
  • yeonhee.yeonhee. East Bay, CaliforniaPosts: 2,377Member
    I have the same problem too and losing a lot of hair.
  • plumeriasplumerias myao .. ( ???)??? PhiladelphiaPosts: 1,526Friend of Soompi

IDOL

QUOTE (MyFishySarangHAEyo @ Oct 29 2009, 01:55 PM) »
    Try apple cider vinegar method. It works well for a lot of people.
    What you do is apply apple cider vinegar diluted 50% with water to the scalp and let dry. There is no need to rinse. The smell will go away as soon as your hair dry off.
    Or you can put the mixture into spray bottle and spray it onto your scalp and wrapped your head in a towel for 15- 1 hour before you wash your hair. you can do this once or twice a week.

I strongly recommend this too! Plus, it makes your hair soft and shiny.
    ‎"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would  be very silent if no birds sang except the best." -Henry Van Dyke
    ♥123106
    411&Shop&Tumblr
  • XangelXtranXXangelXtranX I heart heart! Posts: 1,522Member
    I NOEEEEEE RIGHT!!!!
    for me its cuz the weather is turning cold.. i only have this problem in the winter...cuz winter in candaa is cold .. and my hair scalp get really dry same with my skin... i used to wash my hair like every 2 to 3 days now its like everydayy..which isnt good but .. the flakes make it lok dirty -.- I HATE WINTER.
  • NightmareNightmare MerdePosts: 929Member
    Don't over wash your hair than needed, start buying Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free shampoos -natural shampoos, and try the apple cider vinegar method or you can also rinse your hair with lime juice.
  • DavidoDavido Posts: 45Member
    Head & Shoulders worked perfectly for me and i haven't been getting flakiness and such.
    Shampoo dries out your scalp so maybe you should either change or use less of your shampoo so the natural oils can come back :/
  • AznMonkeeAznMonkee Posts: 644Member
    supposingly u have to change your shampoo every now and then. you cannot just stick to the one all the time.
    so like with me ive been using head and shoulders also..... for the past 4-5 yrs and i realised that i got flaks recently so i changed shampoo to any other brand, finished that bottle and went back to head and shoulders. so give it a try =) it wont hurt.
  • dodicidodici VAPosts: 1,270Member

IDOL

I've been using Neutrogena T-Gel and it works wonders. It has an awkward smell but after 2-3 weeks of using it my dandruff is gone. Head and Shoulders never worked for me. They don't know anything. -.- Go out to Target and buy yourself a bottle of the T-Gel! image
    top001xj.jpg