Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone lose 20+ strands of hair after shower?

chiluvskkchiluvskk CaliforniaPosts: 1,366Member

ROOKIE

edited October 2009 in fitness & sports
i do T_T help?
ok, so i've been letting my hair grow b/c of school i haven't had time to go get a hair cut. it's about half way down my back. and lately i've been losing soo much hair after i shower. i comb my hair after i blowdry it and there's like clumps of hair stuck on my comb. i believe it's at least 15 or 20 and even sometimes more strands. i don't know what do, it even clogs the drains sometimes or i find hair on my bed too.

my hair condition:
-dyed
-long down to middle of back
-oily (i wash it everyday b/c it's oily, if i don't i get dandruff >< i think )
-i started blowdrying it, before i just left it to dry naturally
-i use the hair straigtener sometimes on the ends of hair
-i've used dove for colored hair.
-i've tried baby shampoo (major hairloss), garnier (eh it's alright but didn't help), head&shoulders (really dried out my scalp and tons of hair loss)

advice??? oh and im getting my hair cut shorter this weekend, maybe that will help idk *sigh*

Thank you image

Replies

• ParappaRappaParappaRappa You gotta believe! Posts: 1,836Member
    isn't it normal to lose that many strands of hair everyday? i thought it was normal haha
  • chiluvskkchiluvskk CaliforniaPosts: 1,366Member

ROOKIE

^well before i only lost like maybe 5-6 strands haha
  • ~ BunnyliciouS ~~ BunnyliciouS ~ Mum OregonPosts: 26,346Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

edited October 2009
    the longer the hair, the more hair falling out
    when i had my hair boy short, my hair didn't fall out as much

try washing your hair just once every 2 days?
    everyday is bad for the hair

• joy!joy! Seatown&#33;Posts: 129Member
    50-100 strands of hair fall-out a day is normal, hair-combing and showering included~

I also have oily hair, but I wash it every other day. I've noticed more hair fall-out now that I've been growing out my hair. I'm assuming it's normal- I haven't switched my shampoo/conditioner in 2+ years and I always blow dry my hair about 10-15 minutes after a shower image
  • Banana PeelBanana Peel Posts: 2,153Member

ROOKIE

hahaha, I think it's suppose to fall out the longer your hair is.
    my hair is pretty long, and whenever I get out the shower,
    my bathtub is like filled with hair. Okay, not filled but like lots
    of strands are scattered.

Scared me at first, but then again, i have enough hair to keep
    me from going bald for at least 20 more years image

• nailbunnynailbunny YARRR USPosts: 1,318Member

IDOL

QUOTE (~ BunnyliciouS ~ @ Oct 6 2009, 02:38 AM) »

I thought it's just more noticeable when you have longer hair because there's so much more...hair? each time a strand does fall out. So if you had short hair vs long hair, and say you lost exactly 20 strand when you took a shower, the 20 long strands would seem like a lot more since they are longer.

Washing your hair everyday is bad though, I think it depletes the natural oils in your hair and your scalp has to overcompensate.

QUOTE (joy! @ Oct 6 2009, 02:47 AM) »
    50-100 strands of hair fall-out a day is normal, hair-combing and showering included~

I also have oily hair, but I wash it every other day. I've noticed more hair fall-out now that I've been growing out my hair. I'm assuming it's normal- I haven't switched my shampoo/conditioner in 2+ years and I always blow dry my hair about 10-15 minutes after a shower image

Yep, I've heard the 50-100 hairs thing too. I haven't gone bald yet and I had been worrying this issue to death for years, so I'm thinking its ok xD
  • mememe1mememe1 Posts: 17Member
    ^
    off topic but is that a bird on your avatar? .. =]

uhm my hair usually falls out alot when i condition, i think 20+ strands is normal
    i think i read somewhere that women are supposed to lose 100 strands per day? .. i dont know but i guess in comparison to that, 20+ isnt much
  • bonbonsbonbons The MUA D.C. baby&#33;Posts: 5,754Member

IDOL

yah it's normal, I have really long hair and if I just run my fingers through my hair I can pull a few hairs out no problem.
    my floor's full of hair when I brush in the morning.
    if you're pulling like chunks of hair and having bald spots then you have a problem.

• mystic_0103mystic_0103 BulgariaPosts: 50Member
    Yeah it's completely normal, don't worry as all above wrote till 100 strands is completely normal to fall each day. Really the long hair could look falling a bit more but is not really like that. It could start falling more only if it is very damaged or you have more stress lately. But you should really try to wash your hair not everyday, I have oily hair as well, which is nearly my waist and i know how annoying is that your hair doesn't look so good on the next day but if you style it is going to look better and have more volume. Otherwise your hair is going to lose it's gloss and start to get damage. With time is going to regulate a bit of it's oiliness, because as more often you wash it, the quickly is going to get oily. Well no matter what product you use won't start to wash your hair like once a week but if it look good even on the next day is not bad image
    68547cwg98wmzcn.gif

• MelitusMelitus A+ canadaPosts: 2,081Member
    QUOTE (~ BunnyliciouS ~ @ Oct 6 2009, 12:38 AM) »

Somewhat true about the longer the hair, the more hair falling but mainly it is more noticeable when it is longer. It is a myth that has fast been broken that washing hair daily washes away essential oils
    and makes them under-nourished or results in hair loss. This is in no way true as we wash off the daily grime and like the feel of cool, refreshed bodies after a daily shower, the same applies to shampooing hair. The purpose of conditioner is to replenish this "loss". But in reality hair cannot really be "dead" because hair is actually composed of dead proteins. I think the only damage you can do to your hair is applying a heat source such as hair straightening...but even that won't increase or decrease hairloss, more like causing split ends.

se sono rose fioriranno
  • nailbunnynailbunny YARRR USPosts: 1,318Member

IDOL

QUOTE (mememe1 @ Oct 6 2009, 08:11 AM) »
    ^
    off topic but is that a bird on your avatar? .. =]

Yes image

QUOTE (Melitus @ Oct 6 2009, 09:38 AM) »
    Somewhat true about the longer the hair, the more hair falling but mainly it is more noticeable when it is longer. It is a myth that has fast been broken that washing hair daily washes away essential oils
    and makes them under-nourished or results in hair loss. This is in no way true as we wash off the daily grime and like the feel of cool, refreshed bodies after a daily shower, the same applies to shampooing hair. The purpose of conditioner is to replenish this "loss". But in reality hair cannot really be "dead" because hair is actually composed of dead proteins. I think the only damage you can do to your hair is applying a heat source such as hair straightening...but even that won't increase or decrease hairloss, more like causing split ends.

Do you have a link for this? image I am very interested if so. When you wash away the oils in your hair, the glands on your head produce more sebum to compensate. It makes sense to me...xD The same thing happens if you over-wash your face. I thought conditioner was to basically coat your actual hair strands to make them feel nicer, not to like...moisturize your scalp.
  • SUMM3RxBABiiSUMM3RxBABii NYPosts: 3,260Member
    I do lose my hair a lot but I just don't know how much.
    I used to use Dove and I know that made me lose a lot of my hair but I recently started using Aveeno and it's so much better.
    ♥♥SH0P♥♥
    Free People, MAC, AE, HCO, A&F, Smashbox, DKNY, Guess, more!
    Tumblr♥
    ★Fashion/Beauty Blog "Fashionspiration"★
  • AndehAndeh Posts: 78Member
    ya , it's normal .
    but just keep your hair healthy just to be safe ! image
    - i could wait a thousand hours , stay the same in sun & showers , pick apart a hundred flowers just to be quiet , w/ you .. ❤
  • milky_teamilky_tea Posts: 16Member
    Seems normal to me.

On days where I tie my hair up, it looks like I'm shedding a LOT in the shower. But that's just because instead of falling off throughout the day, the hairs are trapped by the hairtie and can't fall, so they fall in the shower.
  • ~ BunnyliciouS ~~ BunnyliciouS ~ Mum OregonPosts: 26,346Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

edited October 2009
    QUOTE (nailbunny @ Oct 6 2009, 04:45 AM) »
    I thought it's just more noticeable when you have longer hair because there's so much more...hair? each time a strand does fall out. So if you had short hair vs long hair, and say you lost exactly 20 strand when you took a shower, the 20 long strands would seem like a lot more since they are longer.

not really
    when my hair short/shoulder-length, my hair felt and look thicker, noticeably had more hair.
    when my hair is mid-back long, it looks thinner, so I always use volumizing product, and if i don't arrange the hair on the back on certain way, I can see my scalp. :-/

My theory is, long hair is heavier than short hair. I always have that feel good feeling on my neck after I've got a haircut. lol
    So, if you have weak roots, the hair fall out easier.

• MeenuhMeenuh Rageaholic Supernerd. City of AngelsPosts: 5,724Member
    Hahaha this happens to me everytime I shower. I see like 20+ strands of hair and I seriously wonder how it is that I even have any hair left.
    Some say i'm a genius, others say i'm crazy
    but they all say i'm a little on the weird side
  • holyfearholyfear Posts: 85Member
    i see a lot of hair fall out when i mess up my hair with my hands
    im pretty sure there's so much hair on your head, that it doesn't really matter.
    unless you're losing like clumps of hair, then you worry.
  • Malice_KaiserMalice_Kaiser The Real ? Posts: 12,072Member

IDOL

Don't worry! It's normal. Though if it continutes to bother you, you should try switching shampoos/conditioners and see if that helps any. image

QUOTE (~ BunnyliciouS ~ @ Oct 6 2009, 12:38 AM) »

This could be true and could be not true. With longer hair, it may just seem like more is falling out because it's more noticeable when it falls out (because when it's short, if it falls out it just disappears more easily, more easy to miss, etc). Also with long hair, even if the hair has already "fallen out" it can still be "held in" in a way from all the other hair. This is especially true if you have wavy or curly hair. So when you take a shower or comb your hair, it all comes out at once instead of falling out throughout the day.
    This is the experience of friends of mine with long hair, anyway.
    taijivn5.jpg
  • fahrenheitlove&lt;3fahrenheitlove<3 CanadaPosts: 193Member
    i remember this happened to me, i did some research and found out that sometimes the sulfates in your shampoos (the stuff that makes it all lathery) can cause irritation in your hair follicle thus making your hair fall out. learning that, i switched to a sulfate free shampoo and my hair fell out less ^^ i'm currently using the organix shampoos and conditioners. hope this helps!
  • MelodieeeMelodieee Posts: 372Member
    i took cosmotology class and this was what i learnt,
    you lose around 100 hair stands a day, and if your hair's longer, you're most likely to notice it than having shorter hair.
    and No about washing the hair too much because everybody has different types of scalps, thus people's hair don't get as oil as others, making them not or have to wash their hair constantly.

Plus the hairlonger--more visible is true, i had long hair and i noticed my hair falling out a lot... but with short hair i don't( and my hair's short, tried the bob look) .