Review - Wii Sports Resort

RiderKamen

I want to hear your opinion too
I want to hear your review/opinion about this game also.

41l9ankHZmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I remember watching E3 on G4TV and the host of the show was like "It feels like a extension of your arm". I don't know if my wii remote settings is wacky but with the new Wii Motion Plus! I believe it made the controls even worse lol.

So with that said, let me get into Wii Sports Resort.

When you first put the disc in and start the game for the VERY FIRST TIME; the first that pops up is a instructional video on how to attach your Wii Motion Plus!. The video is 3 minutes long and there is no skip button :o So for those who are not new to Wii or has read the instructions on the little manual paper, it is very annoying to wait for 3 whole minutes lol. Thank goodness the video doesn't replay itself after you have played the game for the first time.

7031.jpg

Once you are past the instructional video, the game starts with a beautiful intro which sets the tone of the game. In the intro you are set in a plane with your mii (mii is automatically chosen). Your mii got its skydiving suit and its parachute looking all happy as usual. Next thing you, the door on the plane is slid open to a white light and your mii enter it without hesitation. Seconds later, you find yourself free falling to a small island in style. You're able to navigate your mii through the air by using your remote and you'll have a chance to hold hands with other skydiving miis.

wii-sports-resort-004.jpg

Lets talk about the games: There is Swordplay (kendo), Cycling, Basketball, Bowling, Golf, Table Tennis, Air Sports, Wake Boarding, Archery, Power Cruising (Jet Ski), Canoeing, and Frisbee.

Swordplay: Its simple, and it works. There are three different swordplay games (Duel, Speed Slicing which is like a race, and Melee against hundreds of miis).

Cycling: Its simple, however, like I said lol, my wii remote must not be functioning properly and so I had a hard time steering. You can race against a friend or do a race against 30 miis.

Basketball: Its simple and it works. However, me being a basketball fan I was somewhat disappointed on the elements of the 3 on 3 pick up game. I felt with the pick up game they could have made it a continuous flowing game instead of resetting position every time you miss a shot or steal/block the ball. On top of that, there's no control in navigation of your mii. Its in the same category of the tennis in the original Wii Sports. I wish they could have put a slam dunk contest in :( Basketball also contains 3 point shoot. Might be the 2nd best sport on the game.

Bowling: Do we need another bowling??? On top of that, automatic release of the ball? I understand Nintendo is trying to make the game accessible for EVERYONE but its quite ridiculous if you can't practice releasing the ball on your own.

Same mini games as before.

Golf: The coming back of golf is understandable because you have new courses :D . In the old Wii Sports, you was careful not to over shoot because it could be done so easily. Now with Wii Motion Plus! I have a hard time over powering the shot lol. For me, I had to put more power in all my swings lol

Table Tennis: I felt like this was probably the worse game on there. It didn't feel like I was playing table tennis, it felt more like pong in slow motion for the entire time lol. If the game had a bit more realism (I know its a video game lol) the game would have been exceptional.

Air Sports: Sky Dive, Flying, Battle. Its simple and it works.

Wakeboarding: I didn't feel the sensation like the other sports. I felt they just threw it in like the table tennis.

Archery: Probably the best game cause it requires skills.

Frisbee: same as wakeboard and table tennis. At least the dog is cute. Golf Frisbee anyone?

Power Cruising: Now this one was refreshing but like I said, my wii remote settings must be off on the steering.

Canoeing: Its fun playing with a friend. However, playing by yourself can get tiresome.

Improvements from the original Wii Sports: Obviously Wii Motion Plus! People say it works but it hasn't for me. The calibration measurement every time you play resort is good. Graphically its 'slightly better'. There's really no lag when there's a lot of things happening at once. The re-centering of your mii is good but at the same time it tells me that controls are not accurate.

Pros: There are games that you will like. The reset your mii in the right positions is beneficial. Wii Motion Plus! will be featured in future games so its a investment.

Cons: They could have put more detail/elements into certain sports. I haven't notice a greater control difference with the Wii Motion Plus! I believe it made the controls worse. They could have put more sports like volleyball, beach football, surfing, racquet ball, and etc.

Rating: -B/C+. Its not better than Wii Sports however its a nice addition and a nice investment for future games that will use Wii Motion Plus!.

What's your review of the game?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PenguinANDTiger

This isn't so much as a technical review, as it is an editorial or opinion of the game:

I felt the games got boring quite quickly, once you have done everything (and done it well). For instance, I have gotten very high scores on nearly every game mode, so in the end, you feel that there is nothing left to accomplish or enjoy. That is the limitation of Wii Sports Resort (and Wii Sports) in my opinion, it is a novelty that doesn't last very long: you play it, yeah it is cool and fun the first few times.. then after playing again and again, you just think... ok... what now. There is no progression, there IS room for perfection. In sports, as we all know, perfection is never attained (unless you are Michael Jordan).

A BIG drawback of this game is the lack of online multiplayer. Yes, I know, this game is built for people that have get togethers or have friends over often (or maybe roommates or dorm buds), but again, that is also limiting. I am the best archer out of all of my friends and family that play this game. I want some OUTSIDE competition. I want to play ping pong against someone in another state. I want to compare my high scores with others. Unfortunately, that is lacking in this game. In this day and age, where online multiplayer is the norm, I was very disappointed. Even when I play these games with my cousins, girlfriend or brother, we often get bored quickly and the lack of interesting games (I'll get to this next) really deters us from long playing sessions.

The games.. let me just say that each person will have their favorite games and their least favorite games. Do not listen to IGN or Gamespot when they tell you which games rock and which ones don't.. it is just an opinion. So, there will always be the games that you play more than the others.. so don't think that 12 games is a lot and that you'll be having plenty of fun for a long time.. because you won't. I might just be picky, but I found a majority of the games to be simply uninteresting. Skydiving? Cycling? Wakeboarding? Powercruising? Basketball? These sports don't feel natural, I don't feel like I am cycling when I'm rocking both of my hands up and down. I don't feel like I'm skydiving when I'm moving a controller like its a toy.

I'm tired... I guess this is enough for people that are still wondering to buy it or not (which is very few I'm sure)

Guest RnBaddict

Cycling: Its simple, however, like I said lol, my wii remote must not be functioning properly and so I had a hard time steering. You can race against a friend or do a race against 30 miis.

Power Cruising: Now this one was refreshing but like I said, my wii remote settings must be off on the steering.

Improvements from the original Wii Sports: Obviously Wii Motion Plus! People say it works but it hasn't for me. The calibration measurement every time you play resort is good. Graphically its 'slightly better'. There's really no lag when there's a lot of things happening at once. The re-centering of your mii is good but at the same time it tells me that controls are not accurate.

Your wii remote doesn't work properly?

Cause i got the game and the precision on mine is scarily accurate. It can pick up even the slightest change in movement for me when i play power cruising and cycling. And on archery the precision is sooooo accurate its scary.

This isn't so much as a technical review, as it is an editorial or opinion of the game:

I felt the games got boring quite quickly, once you have done everything (and done it well). For instance, I have gotten very high scores on nearly every game mode, so in the end, you feel that there is nothing left to accomplish or enjoy. That is the limitation of Wii Sports Resort (and Wii Sports) in my opinion, it is a novelty that doesn't last very long: you play it, yeah it is cool and fun the first few times.. then after playing again and again, you just think... ok... what now. There is no progression, there IS room for perfection. In sports, as we all know, perfection is never attained (unless you are Michael Jordan).

A BIG drawback of this game is the lack of online multiplayer. Yes, I know, this game is built for people that have get togethers or have friends over often (or maybe roommates or dorm buds), but again, that is also limiting. I am the best archer out of all of my friends and family that play this game. I want some OUTSIDE competition. I want to play ping pong against someone in another state. I want to compare my high scores with others. Unfortunately, that is lacking in this game. In this day and age, where online multiplayer is the norm, I was very disappointed. Even when I play these games with my cousins, girlfriend or brother, we often get bored quickly and the lack of interesting games (I'll get to this next) really deters us from long playing sessions.

The games.. let me just say that each person will have their favorite games and their least favorite games. Do not listen to IGN or Gamespot when they tell you which games rock and which ones don't.. it is just an opinion. So, there will always be the games that you play more than the others.. so don't think that 12 games is a lot and that you'll be having plenty of fun for a long time.. because you won't. I might just be picky, but I found a majority of the games to be simply uninteresting. Skydiving? Cycling? Wakeboarding? Powercruising? Basketball? These sports don't feel natural, I don't feel like I am cycling when I'm rocking both of my hands up and down. I don't feel like I'm skydiving when I'm moving a controller like its a toy.

I'm tired... I guess this is enough for people that are still wondering to buy it or not (which is very few I'm sure)

I definitely agree with you on those parts, especially the multi-player.

Your wii remote doesn't work properly?

Cause i got the game and the precision on mine is scarily accurate. It can pick up even the slightest change in movement for me when i play power cruising and cycling. And on archery the precision is sooooo accurate its scary.

I guess so.. Every time I bowl, the ball goes to the gutter. Before Wii Resort, I got 300 so ionno what it is.

Archived