My Skin Looks Dull And Yellow In Mirrors..

Guest xWeeeAmandaa

Guest xWeeeAmandaa

But everyone thinks I'm super white?
Hi guys. Ever since I started high school I've gotten so many comments about my skin. Everyone basically says I'm very pale, or white, and that I have really nice skin. But for some reason, whenever I look in the mirror, my skin looks dull and yellow. Does this happen to anyone too?

I don't think that I look as pale as some people say, and I don't wear much makeup in the first place. And for the people that are familiar with MAC Cosmetics, I'm a NC15 in their color range (and that's not even the lightest color they have!). It's kind of weird too, because I've had random people go up to me and ask, "Is that really your skin color, or is that just makeup?" It's stupid though because I've worn shorts and stuff and you can obviously see it's my real skin color.

Then I get all these weird comments, for example, in the beginning of the school year, my friend told me that some people seriously thought I was a geisha? And I was really like, in a slight way offended, because I don't go around with bold red lips and stuff. Then I've gotten the comment that I look like a vampire. I was furious when the person told me that because in my opinion that's not a good thing at all. I'm aware that vampires are the hot new thing now with Edward and stuff, but it's still a bit weird >_> What makes it worse was the guy thought he was being funny but I was just like ~_~ Oh and this other time, my friends and I were in the lunch room talking about skin colors, and one of my friends was like, "Oh Jenny, your skin is like this- (Points to a paper lunch bag), And Amanda your skin is like this- (Points to a napkin =.=)"

It's so weird not knowing what your own skin color looks like. Sure I've seen photos but then there's the lighting, flash, etc. I sometimes have to ask my friends, "Hey, is my skin color like hers?" So embarrassing >_>

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I do have this skin disease, lupus, which makes my skin very sensitive to the sun. But I don't think it prevents my skin from tanning or anything..

Are you looking into the mirror with natural lighting? Because that could be affecting it. I look yellow in the bathroom mirror but that's because my bathroom lights give a yellow tone to everything in there. But when I look at myself in more public bathrooms, I'm not as yellow.

Guest opposite_match

omg same here! i thought no one felt that way.

i'm the lightest in the mac cosmetics. but i don't wear makeup because i don't need it but yea people tell me i'm really pale and need to get out in the sun. D:

Guest xWeeeAmandaa

Are you looking into the mirror with natural lighting? Because that could be affecting it. I look yellow in the bathroom mirror but that's because my bathroom lights give a yellow tone to everything in there. But when I look at myself in more public bathrooms, I'm not as yellow.

I guess that could be it, but the difference is huge, hahaha. My lights don't give off a yellow tone or anything :o

Guest angels.disguise

i think its the lighting haha

because i will get load of comments telling me im super white & i need to go out in the sun blah blah blah

but sometimes when i look in a mirror with yellow lighting i will look

super tan :P

Guest dudeilovefood

yup, i hate my skin.

it looks like, whiteish, but theres this like hint of caucasian/phillipian in it, kinda like an under tone, it's so ugly.

it some mirrors it looks like this, some others, it doesn't.

so eyahh.

Guest youraDouche.

it might be your lightening.

mayb your lightbulb is yellow ?

mines is. at times i think im tan or yellow, but sadly im not.

when i bring a mirror by my window & look at myself i look pretty white.

Guest mukinsvivi

Haha yeahh depends on lighting :3!

I'm pretty pale haha = but i've noticed lighting plays a very big role!

Like in the bathroom i look kinda yellowish

but when i walk outside direct sunlight (BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT)

Im obviously going to look pale as a ghost.. .-. !

Um, I really do lighting when the cloud blocks the sun

makes your skin super pale ..~ It's pretty interesting.. (kinda like the lighting you

see in England..?)

Sometimes i look kinda tan and bronze xD~! so yeahh lighting is everything!

Your skin might look yellow in the mirror because of the light you had in that room.

Different lights give different colors and such, and if you feels to have pale skin is bad, maybe you should try apply some sun powder on or an darker foundation just in case??

Also if you can't stay in the sun, you can try some self tanning tablets?? There is many options to choose from.

My bf goes on those tablets and she says they work at least.

Guest bonsaitea

Mirrors reflect with a slight green sheen sometimes. If you look at a mirror sideways [the side of the mirror], you can see it. Also, you can see the comparison with objects up close with the mirror.

Light can play a huge part. but a lot of bathrooms have the bright white lights now.

Also, your bathroom itself can reflect a yellow light. If your bathroom is not painted white, the color from the walls will reflect on you.

Guest EHNerJI

maybe your mirrors are dirty? XD lol jk.

it's most likely the lighting.

most of the lighting in my house upstairs is a bit orange-ish.

but then, i went downstairs into the bathroom when the walls were painting white

(and the lighting is also white.. extremely XD) and i looked 49348974 x lighter rofl.

Guest cfcong

This might clear something more.

"Incandescent Lighting - Found in Standard light bulbs gives off a yellowish orange hue.

Florescent Lighting - gives off a yellow-green hue.

Halogen Lighting - Found in Specialty Lights and Desk and Floor Lamps is closer to natural light and gives off a blue hue. This lighting choice is being phased out because bulbs get extremely hot and can be a fire hazard."

-http://www.yourepair.com/2009/03/21/howto-understanding-light-bulb-color-hues-vs-natural-light.html

Thus giving the appearance in yellow. and like the a few posters ago, the mirror also gives a greenish sheen.

Guest CaramelSweetie

I hate my skin when I'm inside the house. x__x I looke so dark~ I like it when I'm in the car, and just looking at the mirrors there. xD

Guest GwendolynGuillotine

Yeah, it has to do with the lighting perhaps. I work in retail and most of the olive-pale people have yellow tone effect from the lights. But outside in natural light, they're all quite fair as the Snow White tale!

I used to have problems identifying what my own skin colour is actually is, but I kinda get the idea now. I know that it would take ages for me to appear completely brown, or I'm not as golden as I thought I was. Depending on the clothing/makeup I could sometimes appear tan and the next day I'd be pale.

Guest rhaize

indoor flourescent lighting will make you look tanner than you actually are. so those of us who are pale, those lighting are quite flattering for us :P personally i prefer outdoor natural sunlight the best. i look so white washed out at night when people use the flash on cameras.

Guest cinjin

Me too! I always thought I was so yellow/tan when I look in the mirror but then I recently found out that I'm pretty pale. I called one of my friends pale and all my friends were like "Wtf? You're calling her pale? YOU'RE the one that's so pale." o.o So yah, it's probably the lighting...

Archived