How Do You Get Rid Of .... Cellulite?

Admin

Disclaimer - this thread was originally started by another Soompi member who has become inactive ....this aint my legs :tounge_wink: -  triplem
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so frickkin disgusting

Does everyone have this?? Cause I don't feel like I'm fat .. 5"7 or 5"8 and 125lbs. Yet I have all this cellulite on my legs and butt. I go to the gym like 2 or 3 times a week too!

They mostly appear only when i flex my butt, otherwise it doesn't appear. and also when i squeeze my legs a specific way.. i just KNOW they're there.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO MINIMIZE CELLULITE APPEARANCE..

this is what i'm talking about when i'm squeezing it:

causes-of-cellulite.jpg

Actually, I just read something online

Cellulite is not the result of too much fat in your body. The actual cause of cellulite occurs internally with the weakening

of the skin cells and connective tissue. As the skin sustains damage from a myriad of sources, such as aging and the

environment, it loses its essential water and weakens. Cellulite and stretch marks are caused by skin that has

deteriorated and dehydrated to the point where buoyant fat cells trapped just below the skin are able to push into the

dermis (the middle layer of skin) and show through the surface.

Banishing cellulite is not about eating less, it is about eating enough of the right things. Cellulite is caused by the

weakening of skin cells and connective tissue. As skin cells sustain damage from aging and the environment, once

buried fat cells get pushed into the dermis, creating skin dimpling. This type of fat cell cannot be metabolized. Therefore,

weight loss won’t reduce the “dimpled” appearance of cellulite—and that’s why skinny girls get it, too.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest plumerias

What do you do at the gym? If you don't do strength training, you should try.

When I started doing like the leg press and glute press, I noticed the cellulite in my thighs started disappearing (and I'm not nearly as thin as you;;)

I think it's pretty hard to get rid of.. the best you could do is keep doing exercising and weight training.

And make sure you eat a healthy diet with little fats and lots of veggies, fruits, and lean protein. :)

Guest S0URPATCH--

HEY COOL our stats are similar! I'm 5'8 or 5'9 and 118 lbs :D

And as for cellulite, ummm I used to have some but after I started walking daily (3-5 miles) I've noticed that my legs got slimmer and the cellulite isn't quite as visible when I squeeze my thighs ~

Guest Christinaisweird

I read in "Glamour" magazine that by reducing cellulite is by exercising like squats, lounges, and the exercise ball, etc.

It was in the one with Taylor Swift on the cover.

P.S. Those creams don't work, if they did you wouldn't even be asking this.

It's only life, practically a lot of women have it.

Guest 5bchm

Have you heard about dry skin brushing? Its a technique that supposingly helps with cellulite. It wouldn't hurt to try it out considering cellulite removal is not its only benefits. The only thing is that it requires a bit of time to do.

Here's a link that I just goggled up so that you or others can see what dry skin brushing is about: Dry skin brushing

This site gives you some explanation on how and what to use when brushing the skin.

Guest flowoftime

Cellulite is normal, the majority of women have it.

you can't do much to get rid of it... its not very noticable unless you walk around with your butt showing all the time, most people wont even be grossed out since it's so common.

Guest duh123

you can't get rid of cellulite and it's so normal that i'm surprised girls are still bothered by it. i've seen so many girls who are relatively skinny but have cellulite yet they wear shorts and walk around with so much confidence. if you want to reduce the appearance of cellulite then gain muscle. but since it doesn't show unless you flex and squeeze then there's nothing to worry about. it's true cellulite doesn't only affect heavier women. it's just a matter of life.

eat healthy, work out and exfoliate! i just read an article about cellulite in "new beauty" magazine. one thing to note is that there are different stages of cellulite... the earlier you start taking care of it, the better it is to prevent from it getting worse. there's also laser treatments (kind of like a form of plastic sugery).

Guest deathangelxd

Hmm, I never knew that about cellulite. o_o

I think you can try those creams for cellulite. Also try massaging it?

Guest kinein

n504505185_1029305_311.jpg

Does everyone have this?? Cause I don't feel like I'm fat .. 5"7 or 5"8 and 125lbs. Yet I have all this cellulite on my legs and butt. I go to the gym like 2 or 3 times a week too!

2-3 times isn't much the average person that may or may not look that special works out 3 times. Weight-training, sprinting, intense cardio etc The article you quoted is a tad misleading.

n504505185_919948_1387.jpg

Even Cosplayers exercise!

Taken from : http://www.fitsugar.com/1536223

1. From a purely medical standpoint cellulite doesn't exist; it is nothing more than fat. The word cellulite is French and was first used in medical literature around 150 years ago.

2. Cellulite is more prominent in women than in men due to the structural differences of stored fat between the sexes. The connective tissues that create these storage units in men works on diagonals, where as we lucky ladies store our fat in a large vertical honeycomb like structure. This structural form enhances the appearance of the dimples.

3. Here's the bad news – there is no way to get rid of cellulite. None of those creams, lotions or rubs will get rid of the dimples caused by cellulite. Topical creams cannot penetrate the three layers of skin to eliminate the fat.

To see what you can do about cellulite read more.

4. According to the fitness experts at the American Council of Exercise, you can reduce the appearance of cellulite. You need to decrease overall body fat by doing cardio along with two to three strength training sessions a week. Can you say lunges and squats? Those are the exercises that bad a** trainer Jillian Michaels recommends for reducing the appearance of cellulite.

5. The majority of women have cellulite. I have read that 80 percent of women have cellulite. I have even seen figures as high as 95 percent of women have cellulite. So if you have cellulite, just knowing that you are not alone will hopefully make you feel better.

n504505185_387353_979.jpg

The Truth About Cellulite

By Brad Schoenfeld, CSCS, CPT

n504505185_51796_4879.jpg

How many times have you seen ads for "magic potions" that claim to "melt away" cellulite? Dating back to the 19th century, unscrupulous hucksters have made a fortune by hawking these miracle products. Creams, lotions, ointments�just rub them on and watch your dimpled skin disappear. Sounds too good to be true? Well, it is!

The truth is, cellulite is a genetic condition that can't be purged by magic potions . You see, cellulite tends to be hereditary; if your mother and siblings are afflicted, the chances are good that you will be too. Like your height, eye color and hair texture, genetics dictate where fat is deposited and the semblance that it takes on your body. Hence, while some women can be obese with little evidence of cellulite, others can be relatively thin and have cottage cheese thighs. This is simply the luck of the draw. If you picked good parents, you might escape the big "C". If not�

Interestingly, men rarely develop cellulite. This is due to the composition of human skin. The skin and its underlying tissue have three fundamental layers: The top layer is comprised of a cellular-based tissue called the dermis. Its primary purpose is to protect your body from outside contaminants. The middle layer is made up of fibrous connective tissue called superficial fascia. It is substantially thicker than the dermis and acts like an internal stocking to support the skin. The lower layer is made up of adipose tissue-plain old fat. It has several functions including insulating the body, padding the internal organs and providing a source of long-term energy.

You're probably wondering how all this physiology applies to cellulite. Well, the superficial fascia is responsible for holding bodyfat in place. In men, the superficial fascia is arranged in a crisscross pattern that is strong and consistent. Accordingly, fat is contained in a uniform manner subcutaneously (below the skin), leaving the skin surface smooth and supple. In women, however, the superficial fascia tends to be irregular and discontinuous . It has a vertical distribution, forming honeycomb-like patterns beneath the dermis. Hence, when fat accumulates, it pushes up towards the skin's surface in clusters, giving the skin the lumpy, dimpled appearance commonly known as cellulite.

Cellulite is further exacerbated by the localized accumulation of lymphatic fluid. Research has shown that cellulite contains an abundance of glycosaminoglycans-a polysaccharide-based compound that has high water-attracting properties . Glycosaminoglycans draw fluid into fatty tissue, causing extensive swelling in cellulite-affected areas. This heightens the density of cellulite, making it heavy and voluminous.

Given that cellulite is related to the structural composition of connective tissue, it's easy to see why it's impossible for a cream to eradicate the problem; there simply is no way that an externally applied solution can penetrate the skin and "reconfigure" the underlying connective tissue. For all intensive purposes, anything short of radical surgery simply has no lasting effect on the condition.

But just because you may be predisposed to cellulite doesn't mean you have to succumb to its effects. A combination of proper nutrition and regimented exercise is the only viable way to counteract the problem. By reducing bodyfat and adding muscle tone, you can substantially reduce, if not completely eliminate, this unsightly malady. Once bodyfat is reduced to acceptable levels, the muscle will be more apparent, making cellulite less evident.

In final analysis, you can't get rid of cellulite with magic formulas. Only through a regimented program of exercise and diet can you diminish its appearance.

Scientific American

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....llulite-forever

excerpts ~ read full article for more info!

...cellulite doesn't only afflict the full-figured. It's also a scourge of the skinny, not to mention girls as young as teenagers. ...

....What exactly is cellulite?

It's a condition that affects 90 percent of women and 10 percent of men, mostly in industrial nations. As women start approaching menopause, estrogen starts decreasing. From 25 to 35 is when you start seeing the appearance of cellulite. Estrogen has an impact on the blood vessels. When estrogen starts to decrease, you lose receptors in blood vessels and thighs, so you have decreased circulation. With decreased circulation you get less oxygen and nutrition to that area, and with that we see a decrease in collagen production…. [Also, at this time] fat cells start becoming larger, [they] begin protruding through the collagen [and become the bumpy fat known as cellulite].

Women tend to get cellulite around knees, saddlebags and buttocks, because they have three layers of fat in these areas [instead of just one]. Women also have three levels of fat in the stomach and in the triceps areas.....

Does cellulite serve a purpose?

I don't think it has an evolutionary purpose. I think as people have evolved in an industrial society, we've become lazier. Our jobs are sitting at a desk, answering the phone. We don't go to the gardens and pick our food—we drive to the store and park in the spot closest to the building. So we've become more sedentary as a culture.

Random Blurb : Think cow culture. Sheeple etc.. You won't find this sedentary culture in 3rd world african countries though! That is why people should exercise ~ or move to a 3rd world country and realize how lazy many cultures have become with fast foods, convenience goods and complaining they don't have time or they have a job.

The bulk of the articles on cellulite in the scientific literature started in about the late '70s, but you [could] say women didn't expose their legs [much before then]. What I try to do is find old picture books, women in the 1950s or 1960s…. When you find these pictures, women had perfect legs. And back in the '40s and '50s they didn't have the computer programs to retouch those photos.

Why do women get cellulite more than men?

The [structure of] collagen, the main protein of connective tissue, in women has the appearance of a picket fence, whereas in men it looks more liked a cross-linked fence. So you can see the cross-linked structure is much stronger [and will hold fat in better].

Another reason women get cellulite has to do with the [two kinds of] adrenergic receptors. When stimulated, alpha receptors will cause fat cells to produce fat [as well as triggering constriction of blood vessels and release of sugar into the bloostream] when beta receptors are stimulated, they break down fat [as well as increasing heart rate and relaxing blood vessels]. In women, for every one beta receptor in the thigh, there are nine alpha receptors.

Estrogen also makes fat whereas testosterone breaks down fat. So a women's body is basically—and I hate to say it—genetically designed to be a place for cellulite to develop. Men have one layer of fat throughout their entire body and a one-to-one alpha- and beta-receptor ratio.

Today we're seeing younger women developing cellulite—women in their teenage years are getting cellulite. How do you explain that? Too much estrogen makes fat cells larger, so…younger women who are overweight might have a condition called estrogen dominance, which means they are making too much estrogen and/or are eating foods [such as soy or using containers that leak bisphenol-A] that have estrogen-mimicking ingredients.

Why do some women have more cellulite than others?

I've spent a lot of time traveling in developing countries and photographing local women. When I photograph these women [who don't have much, or any, cellulite], you see the kind of work they're doing and the kind of food they're eating. They're eating all organic foods, they're constantly moving from the time they get up. These women are washing clothes in the river. Getting water [in an industrialized country] means getting up and going to the fridge or faucet. For women in developing countries, they're walking to the river and coming back carrying a heavy container. So the physical activity levels in industrialized nations have also decreased.

Many women wear regular underwear with elastic across the buttocks. When you see panty lines, it's cutting off circulation—just think what it's doing to your body. Look, take a tourniquet, put it around your leg and see what happens. And a lot of women wear underwear under panty hose. The panty hose force the lymphatic drainage back into the body. It's like turning the hose on and clamping it so every thing gets backed up.

Blurb : Stop wearing granny or mamma underwear ~

n504505185_1029301_389.jpg

Cellulite didn't become a problem until the 1970s and 1980s when the diet and activity and underwear started changing. Back in the '20s, women wore longer skirts and the underwear was loose, almost like pajamas. Cellulite is always underneath where the elastics go, and if you draw an invisible line where the cellulite is, you will see where the panty lines are.I tell people the most important preventive thing you can do, if you can't afford treatment, is change your style of underwear: Wear a thong.

n504505185_1523613_9203.jpg

Does diet play a big role in the amount of cellulite people get?

Diet does play a role, because look, women in Asia, what do they have for breakfast? Noodles—it's a high-calorie meal, but when they go to work they burn those calories. In contrast, we eat these calories, then go to work and sit at a desk. Think of those [fat-producing] alpha receptors just waiting to rock and roll.

So, it all goes together. That's why women struggle to lose weight below the waist. From the waist up, for every four receptors that break down fat, there are five that make it, so it's almost a one-to-one ratio. From the trunk up, there's just one layer of fat, except for the triceps arm area.

It's really a whole biochemistry. People tell you: Don't eat fat, don't eat sugar. It's really more than that. It's hormone balance—you need to eat healthy, you need activity.

Random Blurb: Beware people that use blanket statements don't eat fat, don't eat sugar - Fear those that know not the evil they do!

How big a role do genes play in cellulite levels?

There is a genetic component or predisposition to cellulite. But just because you have the genetic component doesn't mean you have to develop it if you do the right things: eat a healthy diet, exercise, and skip restrictive underwear.

For full article please see link above at TITLE.

----------------------------------------------

Conquering cellulite with exercise

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076617#storyContinued

By Jacqueline Stenson

1864215.widec.jpg

Forty-five minutes of exercise three times a week can smooth out cellulite in formerly sedentary women, experts say.

excerpt :

Exercise can reduce cellulite

Exercise can help minimize cellulite by burning off fat and building muscle, says Wayne Westcott, fitness research director at the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, Mass. Because fat is very soft tissue, it doesn’t keep the legs looking firm, smooth and shapely like muscle does.

Physical fitness is particularly important in fighting cellulite as women age, he says, because each decade they lose about 5 pounds of muscle and gain 15 pounds of fat.

“You have this shrinking foundation under this growing fat layer, and eventually the fat clumps,” Westcott explains. “It’s not just a matter of having too much fat. It’s a combination of too much fat and too little muscle.”

Strength training key

While many women diet and engage in fat-burning aerobic exercise to combat cellulite, they may not realize the importance of strength training, notes Westcott, author of the new book “No More Cellulite” (Perigee, 2003), co-authored with colleague Rita La Rosa Loud.

Dieting in the absence of strength training can actually promote the appearance of cellulite by causing muscle loss, he says, so lifting weights to build and maintain muscle is key.

In his own research, Westcott found that sedentary women who modified their diet and engaged in 45-minute sessions of aerobic exercise, weight training and stretching (see sidebar) three times a week saw results within two months.

“About 70 percent of the women had major changes and were very pleased,” he says. These women said they had “a lot less cellulite” after completing the program, while the remaining participants said they had “less cellulite.”

“Overall, they gained about 1.5 pounds of muscle, lost about 9 pounds of fat and increased strength by 46 percent,” says Westcott. “They also lost just under 2 inches off their hip measurements.”

Len Kravitz, coordinator of exercise science at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, agrees that exercise can have a big impact on cellulite. “Minimizing bodily fat while enhancing muscle firmness, especially in the legs, is the best approach,” he says, and a variety of workout regimens can help.

-------------------------------------------

Dwell not upon thy weariness, thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.—Arab Proverb

n504505185_1079964_4068.jpg

n504505185_817471_676.jpg

She works out 5-6 days a week. Random example Random person and their results ~

n504505185_760832_6507.jpg

This dog exercises regularly!

Youtube video : Trainer Personal Trainer gives her thoughts

This isn't my thread so I'll just put a few videos you can do at home ;)

Anti cellulite video hehe i didnt name it like that.. ;)

Randommmm

OOoooOo more info!

Tehehe Sodium ehh?

Taken from a anticellulite cream info site ;)

Nobody wants to be in pain, yet many women are willingly putting themselves through painful recovery times just to get rid of cellulite on their bodies. If you want to know how to reduce cellulite on your body without having to go through so much pain, then you are in luck! There is a way, and I am going to tell you how.

Your diet is responsible for almost everything that happens in your body, including cellulite. In fact, bad eating habits are why you have cellulite in the first place! If you want to know how to reduce cellulite, all you need to do is alter your eating habits and drink more water.

Fast food and other processed “heat and eat” foods are bad for your body. They have little nutritional value, are high in calories, and are filled with toxins that your body doesn’t know what to do with. These toxins get stored, along with fat deposits, and form cellulite.

If you want to stop cellulite from forming, and reduce the appearance of what you already have, you can start right now. Make a vow to improve your overall diet, and to exercise more. As your body starts to burn fat, it will also burn off a lot of the cellulite deposits.

Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and dairy as part of your daily diet. Your body will be getting everything that it needs, and you will no longer be contributing to the build up of cellulite in your body.

..... cellulite cream is like putting makeup over a black eye .... its still there ~ you just aren't resolving the reason behind it in an lasting effective solution!

Guest candiie

try nivea's goodbye cellulite program?

they had an episode on tyra where women took the challenge and their legs looked really nice afterwards :>

roundup_0000000000003052_image_01.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest shyanne72

They mostly appear only when i flex my butt, otherwise it doesn't appear. and also when i squeeze my legs a specific way.. i just KNOW they're there.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO MINIMIZE CELLULITE APPEARANCE..

this is what i'm talking about when i'm squeezing it:

causes-of-cellulite.jpg

Actually, I just read something online

QUOTE Cellulite is not the result of too much fat in your body. The actual cause of cellulite occurs internally with the weakening

of the skin cells and connective tissue. As the skin sustains damage from a myriad of sources, such as aging and the

environment, it loses its essential water and weakens. Cellulite and stretch marks are caused by skin that has

deteriorated and dehydrated to the point where buoyant fat cells trapped just below the skin are able to push into the

dermis (the middle layer of skin) and show through the surface.

Banishing cellulite is not about eating less, it is about eating enough of the right things. Cellulite is caused by the

weakening of skin cells and connective tissue. As skin cells sustain damage from aging and the environment, once

buried fat cells get pushed into the dermis, creating skin dimpling. This type of fat cell cannot be metabolized. Therefore,

weight loss won’t reduce the “dimpled” appearance of cellulite—and that’s why skinny girls get it, too.

Cellulite effects over 80% of all females over the age 18, not to say that you can't have it a younger age either. Knowing that we are not the only one's does help a little, but not very much right? There is some truth to the article that you have read. Cellulite is more about the skin, than the fat. See over time our skin loses it's elasticity, making it much easier for the fat to protrude through making it visible. There are some things that you can do to help repair your skins elasticity, but anti cellulite creams are not one of them. Beware of exercise as well, not all exercises are created equal! Some workout moves can actually cause your cellulite to show even more. I have found a lot of useful information here -->>Get Rid of Cellulite<<--   I hope it helps you as much as it helped me!

Wah my mom makes fun of me for this.. yah I have it, yah I have stretch marks and you know what!? I don't care... well I kinda do, but whatever. I've come to realize a lot of people have it... dehydration of the skin? oh drink water and exfoliating sounds like a nice solution to reducing the appearance of cellulite.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soiia

SUPERB post by kinein!! People, go read it (just above a few posts), skip the repetitive facts part if you need, but it clears up a lot of misconceptions about the subject.

And for the OP, look, if you have to squizze your thighs like in the picture to SEE the cellulite, chances are people won't notice it when you are walking about in shorts. I supposed you don't squizze your thigh when you walk?

The thing about wearing underwears too tight it really true and most of the time under rated. While I'm not too ready to wear thongs everyday from now on, it does make sense do wear more loose underwear. It's not like it's fun to have panty lines all the time; they can become permanent. Same goes with wearing jeans too tight.

Guest couturelust

exfoliating and massaging cellulite areas helps. and a lot of people rave about using coffee grounds (like the leftover stuff after you make coffee).. apparently massaging affected areas with that is miraculously helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vintage_addict

The only thing you can do is start exercising, you cant rely on anything else such as pills or miracles

• 8 months later...
Guest ArielBasile

Hi! 

I am 5'8 and slim but I deal with the same thing. I hate it. However, I been working with an author of a book called "Body Back" and in the process I have learned a great deal of tips that are not just diet and exercise. It is actually a lot to do about circulation.

There is dry brushing, pinching and more. I have been doing the tips from the author Heather Porter and even my fiance has been pointing out that my skin looks smoother and the cellulite is going away (without me asking him to say so lol!). 

Anyway we just did a video on cellulite tips and these are the ones I have been doing myself that have showed great improvement for me. Hope you like it/try some tips out! biggrin.gif Good luck!

Archived