Would You Date Someone Who Has Cold Sores?

Guest koezane

Guest koezane

i heard the STD is with you for life....
i don't think cold sores can be cured permanently. it is the herpes simplex virus and it is an STD. once you get it it sits in your nerves dormant and breaks out once in a while regardless. it can never go away...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_simplex

would you date a guy or a girl whom you can see has cold sores?

i think many people catch cold sores from their friends or relatives even if there is no sexual contact because smeone (your uncle?) picked it up from somewhere and passed it by simple skin contact !

i don't think i could date a guy with cold sores.

it would mean every1 in our whole family would get infected permanently.

------>"Transmission may also occur through skin-to-skin contact during periods of asymptomatic shedding" from the wikipedia article.

im skeered of herpes ! :-

normal-demotivational-posters-herpes.jpg

Since people were worried about whether wikipedia is reliable, here is the data from a good authoritative source, the NIH of the US :-

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000606.htm

"Herpes viruses are contagious. Contact may occur directly, or through contact with infected razors, towels, dishes, and other shared articles."

"Avoid direct contact with cold sores or other herpes lesions. Minimize the risk of indirect spread by thoroughly washing items in hot (preferably boiling) water before re-use. Do not share items with an infected person, especially when herpes lesions are active."

"Unfortunately, both oral and genital herpes viruses can sometimes be transmitted even when the person does not have active lesions."

Guest HARU_HARU

okay........i think u're a little......overreacting ?? (srry if i cant find the RIGHT word) lol.

how do u know if he has cold sore? cause wouldnt it be hard to distinguish.

Guest shl979

you kids are so silly stressing over something like that. a cold sore is just another pimple looking like thing that lasts for a week or so once in a while. it's just like saying "i won't date you cause you have pimple/acne"

Guest MarsReiko

A cold sore doesn't always mean an STD.

"Cold sores are caused by a virus called herpes simplex virus (HSV). Cold sores are very common. About 20% of children will have been infected by the age of 5 years and about 80% of people will have been infected by the time they are adults. After the first infection, the virus that causes cold sores 'hides' in the nerves of the skin (usually around the lips), and can cause new cold sores from time to time."

-http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=303&id=1492

So you can't know for certain that just because a person has a cold sore it means that it is from a sexually transmitted disease. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be CAREFUL, since the virus that causes cold sores can still be passed from person to person.

Guest who8myoreos

lol, I wonder how old you are?

Actually, "cold sores" are a different strain of the herpes virus. They usually appear as a result of chronic stress and/or a Vitamin C deficiency.

The fact is, the virus is floating around all the time, our bodies are just strong enough to fight it off most of the time. But when your immune system is compromised (due to illness, stress, malnutrition), you can fall victim to it.

I consider "cold sores" to be less of a disease and more along the lines of the common cold. If you think about it, the cold virus actually never leaves your side....it's ALWAYS around, but it can only get you if you've been losing sleep or nutrition. So that's like saying that you won't date someone with a cold.

So trust me, I think you'll be ok. Just hold off make-out sessions with anyone who's currently showing symptoms, and keep drinking orange juice and eating your leafy greens.

Guest I Cook With A Flashlight

You always make ridiculous threads don't you?

Yes I would. Cold sores are easy to prevent -______________-

Guest redranger

^ Haha, true. If you think about it, everyone is vulnerable to cold sores (yes, even you). So don't worry about it too much because you'll get it too someday - and not by somebody else. HAH.

Guest ny-sw / ny_sw.

yes..? o__o LOL. this is ridiculous. it's like asking if you'd date someone with chronic acne because they flare up once a year and when it does, it's not pretty. -___-

------>"Transmission may also occur through skin-to-skin contact during periods of asymptomatic shedding" from the wikipedia article.

if that was the case, then i guess i have given all of my friends and family members cold sores [/sarcasm]

chances of that happening is very slim (as far as i know)

okay........i think u're a little......overreacting ?? (srry if i cant find the RIGHT word) lol.

how do u know if he has cold sore? cause wouldnt it be hard to distinguish.

i agree. you're overreacting.

Guest YESUNGHWAITING!

Cold sores aren't STD's...

I genetically inherited them from my mom and she doesn't have an STD.

I only get them in the winter if I'm really stressed or my lips are chapped.

They go away in a couple of days...

That's seriously shallow if you wouldn't.

:|

my bf has cold sores.. he hasn't had the outbreak til like a year or two ago.

we just don't kiss during that time. you won't die for god's sake >_>

please stop being so childish.

they're considered std but they ARE genetically inherited by parents.

Guest _shineXO1

I would be very turned off, but if I really liked the guy, I would deal with it.

Cold sores can lead to genital herpes if the lesions come into contact with your skin down there. So before your partner goes south on you, ask if he/she has cold sores. Even if there's no sign of any cold sores, the skin could still be shredding and the virus can still be transmitted.

Guest hobobear

lol cold sores go away after some time..

the real question should be

"would you date someone with a real std?" lol

Guest colloquy

Um, are you for serious? 80% or so Americans have cold sores. Even though it's a form of herpes, it's not sexually transmitted.

Guest lovesicles

I would be very turned off, but if I really liked the guy, I would deal with it.

Cold sores can lead to genital herpes if the lesions come into contact with your skin down there. So before your partner goes south on you, ask if he/she has cold sores. Even if there's no sign of any cold sores, the skin could still be shredding and the virus can still be transmitted.

that's only if it's visible.

or like, there's pus coming from it.

:l

Archived